PDA

View Full Version : "A Magazine for Hikers"

lobster
03-16-2006, 14:09
I wanted to separate this from the Backpacker Magazine thread.

What would be ideas of folks concerning the ideal magazine for hikers?

What things would be in that magazine? What hiking areas that maybe haven't been touched on in the past?

I would think that it would concern mostly hiking in North America, but there should be stuff included about hiking in Europe, South America, Australia, New Zealand, etc.

Honest gear reviews!

Well-written trip stories.

DawnTreader
03-16-2006, 14:17
A great packing magazine would include.....
Stories.. lots of stories
Tips from real people who've been there and arn't tring to sell something
maps.. i love maps...
great trips section... i love great trips
ice axe crampon mountainering is not the same as trail hike backpacking....please don't bog me down with that jon krakauer bullpoop.. i don't care if your mountain hardwear can suspend from the side of a cliff....
Adventure sports are great, but not my passion.. Backpacking is my passion

FOOD SECTION>>>>>>I LOVE FOOD...tips recipies food stories.. the like

Blister
03-16-2006, 14:17
We can sit around all day and bash every publication for some reason. The fact is in order to have a magazine you must advertise to make money for the printing. Are we forgetting the many newsletters that are sent out by the numerous backpacking and trail organizations??? They consist 100% trail information and hiking news. If someone was to compile all of these newsletters from the various organizations into one publication that would be a great magazine!

Blister
03-16-2006, 14:21
A great packing magazine would include.....
Stories.. lots of stories
Tips from real people who've been there and arn't tring to sell something
maps.. i love maps...
great trips section... i love great trips
ice axe crampon mountainering is not the same as trail hike backpacking....please don't bog me down with that jon krakauer bullpoop.. i don't care if your mountain hardwear can suspend from the side of a cliff....
Adventure sports are great, but not my passion.. Backpacking is my passion

FOOD SECTION>>>>>>I LOVE FOOD...tips recipies food stories.. the like

I have actually used an ice axe and crampons on my thru hikes. They are definatley part of trail hiking. Perhaps just more hard core than a weekenders idea of trail hiking. The AT is the only long distance trail I havn't used an ice axe, correction I have used an ice axe on the AT in the winter.

Mags
03-16-2006, 14:44
http://www.mountaingazette.com/index2.php

I don't think ads are evil. I just like my outdoor magazine to be about the outdoors.
YMMV.

It is not backpacking specific..but the people who write in the magazine invariably have stories from people who walk the walk (or ski the ski, climb the climb, etc. etc.)

The last issue had a great letter (more of an article, really) from o.d. coyote of the original slackpacking fame. Interesting insight.

I love the magazine because the people are basically cranky liberterians (making fun of open container laws and self help books!), don't take themselves very seriously and who actually love the outdoors with a passion.

Yeah..I admit my bias. I too am a bit of crank with liberterian tendecies who loves the outdoors with a passion. :D

And so it goes...

fiddlehead
03-16-2006, 22:22
Backpacking Stories. From anywhere.
How to make your own gear. Instead of ready made gear, how about materials available for making your own, tricks needed for sewing sil nylon, etc.
International Hiking Opportunities.
More Backpacking Stories

mrmike48/4000
03-19-2006, 10:56
i would like to see personal profiles of thruhikers who have hiked 1 or all of the 3 major trails in the U S. there could be interviews and updates along the trail showing progress and whatever else may be interesting. not major profiles but maybe a 1 page deal about a average joe or jane. favorite campsites of thru hikers, lots of thruhiker tips from thruhikers, lots and lots of pictures, gear repair or make your own articles..maybe 2 gear guides one for warmer orinted gear and one for colder oriented gear..keep the individual maps for hikes around your area.. these are a few things off the top of my pack that i can think of

mrmike48/4000
03-19-2006, 11:03
a thruhikers hall of fame. it could be a special edition with info from whomever they can find from earl schafer to squeaky, from tje to leif and zipdrive, from lobster to neo, blister to mags you get the picture...mr mike, AKA:nitewalker

mrmike48/4000
03-19-2006, 11:08
from dje to leif and zip...sorry dje

Sly
03-19-2006, 12:21
I love the magazine because the people are basically cranky liberterians (making fun of open container laws and self help books!), don't take themselves very seriously and who actually love the outdoors with a passion.

Aren't cranky libertarians the same people that want to sell off and privitize our national forest and parks?

soad
03-19-2006, 13:08
Aren't cranky libertarians the same people that want to sell off and privitize our national forest and parks?

I for one think that Dollywood should take over the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. A ferris wheel on top of Clingmans Dome would offer AWESOME views for the riders!!!

longshank
03-19-2006, 13:47
I for one think that Dollywood should take over the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. A ferris wheel on top of Clingmans Dome would offer AWESOME views for the riders!!!
Fireworks every night...

Mags
03-19-2006, 18:16

That would be the Libertarian party. I am not a libertarian with a capital "L"

Sorry Sly..but I am going to avoid political debate on this thread.

Safe to say my libertarian views are more like the cranky old guy who wants the damn kids off his lawn..and will damn well drink PBR on it if he wants. :)

Sly
03-19-2006, 18:33
Oh OK, Mags As someone with no political affliliation, I'll try to remember libertarians with a small "l" are cool (but cranky) as opposed to the other kind. ;)

Old Spice
03-19-2006, 20:45
Mags... I'll let you drink PBR on my lawn if I can drink it on yours.

River Runner
03-20-2006, 02:10
A profile of the month - a real backpacker who tells how he/she got started, what they love about backpacking, and their dream trip.

Then information on what type of gear he/she bought when they first started - what worked, what didn't, what was kept, what was gotten rid of, best gear purchase, and worst gear purchase.

Mags
03-20-2006, 13:05
Mags... I'll let you drink PBR on my lawn if I can drink it on yours.

By all means...Should I bring some brats and 'kraut?