PDA

View Full Version : New Found Gap to Fontana

Chris10
06-06-2020, 22:21
Looking at doing this section towards the end of June and would love any feedback on the itinerary and any info on current conditions-
-NFG to Mt. Collins Shelter 4.7
-Mt Collins to Derrick Knob Shelter 13.5
-DK Shelter to Mollies Ridge 12
-Mollies Ridge to Fontana 11

First day is driving up and catching a shuttle from FD to NFG.

many thanks!

HooKooDooKu
06-06-2020, 22:35
Do you already have a shuttle booked?
The regular shuttle companies I've used currently are not running shuttles.

You'll need to get your shelter reservations as soon as the system allows, they have been filling up fast. Fortunately, once you hit the two week window from the start of your hike, you will be able to book all your shelters at once (if available).

TNhiker
06-06-2020, 23:07
me personally, i would skip mount collins and pull a big first day and get to siler bald....

then i think i would go to spence and spend a night there....

i like that one better than russells.....

and then, and more importantly, it leads to the finish of staying at 113......

imo, it's not only the non shelter place on the AT in the Park, it's one of the best campsites in the Park....

and then have shorter day out on the last day to the dam....

stop at shuckstack....

spend some time checking out the dam........

but, hey, that's just me.....

Chris10
06-07-2020, 09:38
Do you already have a shuttle booked?
The regular shuttle companies I've used currently are not running shuttles.

You'll need to get your shelter reservations as soon as the system allows, they have been filling up fast. Fortunately, once you hit the two week window from the start of your hike, you will be able to book all your shelters at once (if available).
No doubt a lot of ifs. Hoping to make it happen and that a few more shuttles will start operating towards the end of the month, and we can get our backcountry permits.

Chris10
06-07-2020, 09:40
Yeah, that sounds like a good plan as well. I don’t think we’ll get on the trail until around 2 ish which is why the short first day.

TNhiker
06-07-2020, 16:59
Yeah, that sounds like a good plan as well. I don’t think we’ll get on the trail until around 2 ish which is why the short first day.

ok...

was wonderin why start with just over 4 miles first day.....

do you have to stay at mt. collins?

if not, i would almost skip it and start at the dome and stay at other sites....

but, if you need that chunk marked off, then start at NFG...

mt collins can be somewhat an iffy place since its really accessible by road...

for me, i would find a way to stay at 113 just because i like it so much...

johnacraft
06-17-2020, 11:26
Looking at doing this section towards the end of June and would love any feedback on the itinerary and any info on current conditions-
-NFG to Mt. Collins Shelter 4.7
-Mt Collins to Derrick Knob Shelter 13.5
-DK Shelter to Mollies Ridge 12
-Mollies Ridge to Fontana 11

First day is driving up and catching a shuttle from FD to NFG.

many thanks!

We did Fontana to Clingmans last weekend, essentially the reverse of your itinerary. It's a very enjoyable hike, with the exception of the 2.5 miles between Starkey Gap and the summit of Thunderhead Mountain (bad footing, mainly).

The section between Cold Spring Knob and Derrick Knob was especially pleasant, as is between Spence Field and Little Abrams Gap.

Temperatures were in the low 50s by morning, up into the high 70s in the afternoon. Be prepared for a little bit of wind in the evening and during the night (mainly above the trees, but a fleece is good to have at camp). Tarps have been removed from the shelters some time in the last month.

Water sources were generally excellent, with the exception of Mollies Ridge (a trickle - took about 25 minutes to get 4 liters).

Beware of chiggers in the tall grass along the trail if you don't hike in long pants. Even if you do, Picaridin below the knee is a good idea (I even got one on a toe at camp).

There are some excellent tent sites on the left as you approach Derrick Knob shelter.

We tented, but other hikers said they experienced no shelter mice at Mollies Ridge and Derrick Knob. (We heard a very different verdict last month at Spence Field.)

As for shuttles, Craig from https://www.thecabinsinthewoods.com/ was a pleasure to ride with. Donald and Mary at https://thefurthershuttleappalachian.com/ are also covering the area, although it's a longer drive for them.

If you are as lucky on the weather and the hikers you meet as we were, you will have a great trip.

Starchild
06-17-2020, 11:48
Check with the smokies Back Country Office. They are wonderful with these things. Your itinerary is certainly doable, though I would, given the time try to get past Mt Collens, however that depends on the time you start. Derricks Knob is the most remote shelter of the AT in the park.

The only problem is that shelters sometime close due to bear activity other times they are under a advisory but still open, so better verify your shelters both right before and if you can as you travel.

Chris10
06-17-2020, 14:06
Thanks for all the advice. We found a shuttle, but couldn’t obtain reserve the four spots we needed at the sites. I spoke with the Backcounty office (very nice by the way), and couldn’t really find a solution. Limiting the shelters down to 8 hikers is making it pretty difficult to get in. Could have tried without a reservation, but didn’t want to risk it. Anyway, try agin next summer( only get about 7 days off each summer).
plans now are to hike from Hot Springs south to Standing Bear. Should still be a great trip-just need to knock off the Smokies on my very slow trek northwards!

HooKooDooKu
06-17-2020, 14:41
Derricks Knob is the most remote shelter of the AT in the park.
That might be true if you're only focusing on the AT.
But Derrick Knob shelter is only about 8-1/2 miles from Tremont via Greenbrier Ridge trail.
I believe Tricorner Knob shelter is the most remote, being a little more than 9 miles from Cosby Campgrounds via Snake Den Ridge trail.

TNhiker
06-17-2020, 16:36
That might be true if you're only focusing on the AT.

as opposed to what other shelter off of the trail would be more remote?

i cant think of any----unless you count pecks as not being an AT shelter since its slightly off the AT...

all of the non AT shelters (unless im missing one due to me just waking up) are not as remote as any of the AT ones..

HooKooDooKu
06-17-2020, 22:09
as opposed to what other shelter off of the trail would be more remote?
I think you're missing my point when I say "focusing on the AT"...

I'm GUESSING the statement "Derricks Knob is the most remote shelter of the AT in the park" is correct if you only measure AT trial miles (i.e. distance from AT trail heads including Fontana, Davenport Gap, New Found Gap, and perhaps Clingmans Dome).

But if you consider other trails besides JUST the AT, then Derrick Knob is not the most remote relative to ALL trail heads in the park.