PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Village Closed?

ldsailor
06-07-2020, 12:06
Somebody posted to the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association on Facebook that the Fontana Village lease terminated June 1, 2020. I quote from the post, " No general store, no resupply, no food and no help."

This could be a problem for NOBO hikers about to enter the Smokies. Anyone know if there is any truth to this? The Fontana Village Resort website doesn't indicate any closures.

soilman
06-07-2020, 14:30
Their website says they are closed because of COVID 19. Their facebook page says they surrendered their lease back to TVA because of the loss due to COVID.

Slo-go'en
06-07-2020, 17:04
I imagine they will reopen at some point, maybe under new management. The question would be when? Could be a long wait. Not much impact on the generic park section hiker, but if they are still closed next spring that will make doing the park a bit more challenging for thru hikers, especially if you can't even send a package.

Lone Wolf
06-07-2020, 17:49
they are closed for good. they didn't renew the lease. only thing open is the post office. no resupply

TNhiker
06-07-2020, 18:40
I imagine they will reopen at some point, maybe under new management.

yup...

just need an investor who has faith in the place..

and if they do it right, and the market down there isnt saturated already, cater to motorcycle crowd......

and the car rally people.....

i hate that has become a motorcycle haven and car show off place----but it is what it is.....

jobs and tourism money when there aint much down there........

Tipi Walter
06-07-2020, 19:08
Simple solution---carry more food weight.

Slo-go'en
06-07-2020, 19:19
they are closed for good. they didn't renew the lease. only thing open is the post office. no resupply

If the TVA owns the property and buildings, you'd think they would be looking for someone to take over management rather then letting the property become neglected. Or maybe they will decide it's more trouble then it's worth and raze the whole thing.

TNhiker
06-07-2020, 23:05
If the TVA owns the property and buildings, you'd think they would be looking for someone to take over management rather then letting the property become neglected. Or maybe they will decide it's more trouble then it's worth and raze the whole thing.

yeah...

to say "they are closed for good" wouldnt be accurate at this point in the game......

its closed under the current management......

and my guess, is that some investor will come in and figure it out.......

i would think the location is too prime to not think someone could make some money off of it..

i wonder how it affects the marina.....

i believe they are a separate business that sorta ran hand in hand with the resort....

ldsailor
06-08-2020, 10:43
Their website says they are closed because of COVID 19. Their facebook page says they surrendered their lease back to TVA because of the loss due to COVID.
I missed that, but then I didn't look very hard - just on the home page and the general store page.

QiWiz
06-08-2020, 11:01

Can send a resupply package to oneself through post office, no?

peakbagger
06-08-2020, 11:36
My guess is without the village the post office will soon be closing. Anyone sending packages may get surprise that the package may have been moved to another post office some distance away.

bamadog
06-08-2020, 12:43
When I went thru there on my thru hike in 2018 I did not go there or need a resupply.It just takes good planning.

martinb
06-08-2020, 12:52
My guess is without the village the post office will soon be closing. Anyone sending packages may get surprise that the package may have been moved to another post office some distance away.

Robbinsville, probably.

soilman
06-08-2020, 17:31
When I went thru there on my thru hike in 2018 I did not go there or need a resupply.It just takes good planning.

I didn't even go there on my AT thru. Stopped in on my BMT hike for a cold drink. Had planned to do a mail drop there this spring on my COVID cancelled BMT/AT loop hike. I did use the Hike Inn to resupply on my AT and BMT hike.

Nolan "Guido" Jordan
06-11-2020, 16:40
This is quite sad. A lot of nice people there too. Looks like I'll resupply in Robbinsville in a few weeks.

u.w.
06-11-2020, 17:28
Will the Hike Inn, or Creekside Paradise Bed and Breakfast, or the Fontana Damn Visitor Center not take resupply boxes?

willin'

soilman
06-11-2020, 17:33
Will the Hike Inn, or Creekside Paradise Bed and Breakfast, or the Fontana Damn Visitor Center not take resupply boxes?

willin'

The Hike Inn will accept resupply box if you are a guest. I have used them twice, once on my AT thru and once on my BMT hike. Highly recommend.

Tennessee Viking
06-12-2020, 11:13
Sounds like Deals Gap is going to get some extra business and hitch traffic.

D2maine
06-12-2020, 16:12
Simple solution---carry more food weight.

solution in search of a problem...

danil411
06-12-2020, 21:47
I loved the history at that resort --and the old style wood work at the post office. I walked every hallway in the hotel to look at all the photos and read every plaque.

Bubblehead
06-17-2020, 20:53
I plan on using the Hike Inn on my BMT/AT loop hike in September/October.