PDA

View Full Version : this has gotta be fixed!

DavidNH
03-16-2006, 17:26
I was logged in or thought I was. Spent like 15 minutes composing this long post. Then I clicked to submit it and I found i was logged out. Now I have lost that post.

Sigh

could not some one fix this so this doesnt happen any more?

David

RockyTrail
03-16-2006, 17:32
If you have been typing and interrupted by a phone call etc, the web board system can time out after a few minutes.

If you suspect that this might be the case, just before you hit "send", copy the entire message into your copy buffer (highlight it and right-click to "copy").
That way, if the message is lost you can easily open a new reply window and paste the message back in. I learned to do this on any message board and it saves re-typing if you have been away for more than a couple minutes.

Alligator
03-16-2006, 17:32
I was logged in or thought I was. Spent like 15 minutes composing this long post. Then I clicked to submit it and I found i was logged out. Now I have lost that post.

Sigh

David
This was discussed but I forget the solution. I never get logged out like that so I don't know how it happens in the first place. But, I find that sometimes an error occurs and the submit fails, so I alway control A [select all] then control C [copy] before hitting submit so that I don't lose the post. Well, once in a while I still muck it up:o .

neighbor dave
03-16-2006, 17:53
:-? duder!!!! go hike the trail already, will ya??? iffin yer gittin' all bent about sumptin like that, wait'll ya gitz on da trail!!:eek:

napster
03-16-2006, 18:31

Sigh

David

David Its easy.Just click "Preview Post" every so often and its resets the timeout timer then scroll down and continue on. No Problem. Its located right beside the Submit Reply.

Sly
03-16-2006, 19:33
:-? duder!!!! go hike the trail already, will ya??? iffin yer gittin' all bent about sumptin like that, wait'll ya gitz on da trail!!:eek:

LOL.... Yup, take it as an omen. It's time to go hiking!

Hikerhead
03-16-2006, 19:52

Sigh

David

Exact the same thing happened to me last night. A long detailed post went up in smoke....twice.

saimyoji
03-16-2006, 20:07
Exact the same thing happened to me last night. A long detailed post went up in smoke....twice.

Up in smoke? See this thread....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13702

Roland
03-16-2006, 21:02

Sigh

David
David,

Attroll won't be thru-hiking this year. He works a full-time job. I suspect he maintains this website because of his interest in the outdoors and the pleasure derived from the service his website provides hikers. I wonder how he feels when he reads a demanding thread title such as: this has gotta be fixed! (http://showthread.php?t=13706)

If you had listened to Attroll's advice the first time you complained about this issue ( tried to post about clothing.. logged in but not logged in?? (http://showthread.php?t=12810) ), you would no longer be having a problem. Others, too, give good advice in the posts above.

I think you'd agree that WhiteBlaze is the best source of information anywhere, about thru-hiking the AT. In preparation for your own hike, you have asked many questions and tapped this great resource. Before leaving for your hike, consider making a donation to Attroll to show your appreciation. It would make a better impression than the title of this thread.

Seeker
03-17-2006, 01:20
dave,

just log in like it asks you to, and hit the return button and it will post your msg, same as always, with no retyping... happens to me all the time (i get on a roll sometimes (some may say 'frequently') and figured it out by accident.