PDA

View Full Version : A good conversation gone bad...

Sly
03-16-2006, 21:25
and perhaps deleted about pot on the trail, and in general. Apparently since politics (and the threat of big brother) were brought into it, it's a topic for another day. Or campfire, oh well...

DawnTreader
03-16-2006, 23:13
yeah, I believe you are right...what was up with that?

Skidsteer
03-16-2006, 23:38
yeah, I believe you are right...what was up with that?

From time to time we treat our exchanges on WB as "coffeehouse conversations" where, in the excitement and flush of free speech, almost anything goes. In truth we don't know who is online at any given time; Children, Mrs. Grundy, etc. The moderators of this site try to do a good job of retaining perspective when the rest of us are rushing into the fray. I'm grateful for their work and wouldn't want the job!

Generally, when the next day dawns anew, I can see the wisdom in their decisions. And, as Sly says, we can save it for a good campfire topic.:sun

the goat
03-17-2006, 09:14
yeah, let's discuss over a smoke someday...:sun

Sly
03-17-2006, 16:58
yeah, let's discuss over a smoke someday...:sun
Yeah Goat we need to talk! See you at Trail Days. Bring Skidsteer and Fitz along...

Rain Man
03-17-2006, 18:32
From time to time we treat our exchanges on WB as "coffeehouse conversations" where, in the excitement and flush of free speech, almost anything goes. In truth we don't know who is online at any given time; Children, Mrs. Grundy, etc. The moderators of this site try to do a good job of retaining perspective when the rest of us are rushing into the fray. I'm grateful for their work and wouldn't want the job!

Generally, when the next day dawns anew, I can see the wisdom in their decisions. And, as Sly says, we can save it for a good campfire topic.:sun

VERY well said, Skidsteer. All of it.

Much of what is posted on WhiteBlaze publicly belongs in private messages, not in the public eye at all. I give a lot of credit to the tough, but good job the moderators are able to do! I'd be happy if they moved more private conversation topics off WhiteBlaze's public boards.

Rain:sunMan

the goat
03-18-2006, 21:50
Yeah Goat we need to talk! See you at Trail Days. Bring Skidsteer and Fitz along...

that's a plan dude!

Gear Coach
03-18-2006, 22:08
Censorship is for small and weak minds. Which is why this site SUCKS since Sgt. Rock left for Iraq.

Gear Coach
03-18-2006, 22:30
Generally, when the next day dawns anew, I can see the wisdom in their decisions.
Typical response of the spiritually and politically defeated.

"Generally, when the next day dawns anew, I can see the wisdom in Chairman Mao's decision."

Just Jeff
03-18-2006, 23:58
Well, this isn't the government restricting your free speech, so it's not censorship. It's a moderated site owned and run by individuals for a specific purpose - which doesn't include, well, anything they don't want it to include.

It's not defeated - it's a realization that the cost of this site (a bit of social decorum) is worth the benefits. If you think there's a better AT site out there, by all means share the url.

attroll
03-19-2006, 00:32
Censorship is for small and weak minds. Which is why this site SUCKS since Sgt. Rock left for Iraq.
Well you know the way out and don't let the door hit out in the butt. SGT Rock has nothing to do with it. In fact we have been in close contact with him every other day and have been informing him what has been going on. He has agreed with everything we have done. Not that we needs his approval to do anything but we have been keeping him informed.

So what does SGT Rock have to do with the site going down hill anyways. The site is designed to talk about the Appalachian Trail not about smoking pot and finding out where you can score your next nickel bag. He has deleted posts in the past dealing with the same content and nothing was said and no one cried about it. Just because it has happened now that he is gone everyone thinks he would not do that. Well your wrong as I said he has done it in the past. Nothing has changed just one admin has taken a leave of absence.

RITBlake
03-19-2006, 00:41
Which is why this site SUCKS since Sgt. Rock left for Iraq.

Could you be any more ungrateful towards all the people who volunteer their time and energy to keep this site up and running?

dixicritter
03-19-2006, 00:58

Interesting how all five of your posts are on topics that have nothing whatsoever to do with hiking the AT.

BTW, my "daddy" knows exactly what I'm doing I told him myself. :rolleyes:

hammock engineer
03-19-2006, 01:18
All of you are doing a great job with this site. I have and continued to learn a lot here. Keep up the good work.

Lugnut
03-19-2006, 01:49

If you choose to personally insult either Sgt. Rock or Attroll on this site your will find absolutely no support. You may as well start looking for another outlet for your wise ass remarks. :(

Panzer1
03-19-2006, 03:59

That's alot to say for someone with only 5 posts.
If you think "this site SUCKS" go find another site.

Panzer

No Belay
03-19-2006, 09:52
Gear Coach, This site is called White Blaze not Whites Blazing. Try www.hightimes.com (http://www.hightimes.com) . It sounds more geared towards your interest and intellect. This site is about hiking the AT and not BLAZING the trail. Troll and our admins do a PHENOMINAL job keeping it organized and filtered from off topic detrimental post. You'll find nothing but support for them here.

sliderule
03-19-2006, 10:29
Censorship is for small and weak minds.

So is whining and complaining!!!

Those with great and strong minds start their own sites where they can make their own rules.

MOWGLI
03-19-2006, 10:42
BTW, my "daddy" knows exactly what I'm doing I told him myself. :rolleyes:

You mean that SGT Rock isn't fighting in Iraq to ensure that Gear Coach has the "freedom" to disrespect you Dixiecritter? :rolleyes:

Gear Coach, with freedom comes responsibility. Use it wisely - or lose it.

Moxie00
03-19-2006, 11:10
:sun I am as guilty as anyone for bringing up non AT barbs, needles, political sides, etc. on this site and quite frankly we sometimes we need a strong hand at the tiller to bring us back to the trail. Every time our Vice President shoots someone, things go bad in Iraq, the topic drifts to evil things some of us enjoy, alot of us, me included love to jump in with both feet. The site is about the trail and hiking in general and Attroll, Rock and Dixicritter let us go much father than they should sometimes and often it is good fun. There is a line and when we cross it they fix it quietly and without hurting anyone. I once was active on a web site where any time you didn't agree with the administrator you were thrown off. This is a great and very tolerant forum and I hope it never changes.

Sly
03-19-2006, 12:14
I don't know where the original thread was placed but it was obviously a "trail sensitive" subject and one that's not going away any time soon.

Attacking the mods and adminstrators of Whiteblaze isn't going to help, that's for sure.

Just Jeff
03-19-2006, 12:50
Sounds like the troll accomplished his mission... :p

Sly
03-19-2006, 13:29
Sounds like the troll accomplished his mission... :p

Perhaps...

Hey, I have an idea. Make the non-AT and Trail Sensitive forums, pay to play forums. Only the lewdest or miss categorized threads would be deleted. That way kids, and others that don't wish to participate, would see them or have reason to critisize them.

Alligator
03-19-2006, 13:31
Perhaps...

Hey, I have an idea. Make the non-AT and Trail Sensitive forums, pay to play forums. Only the lewdest or miss categorized threads would be deleted. That way kids, and others that don't wish to participate, would see them or have reason to critisize them.
There's a forum for donating members, but it doesn't appear to be getting a lot of use.

Sly
03-19-2006, 13:48
There's a forum for donating members, but it doesn't appear to be getting a lot of use.

Yeah but it's unspecific and not a reason to join by itself. If all the "non-AT" subscribed forums, which many like myself like to participate, were pay forums not only would it bring in more donations but there'd be less contention about deleted threads. If JoeTroll posted something to the general Whiteblaze population which was considered trail sensitive or polictical in nature it could be moved to the proper forum. If the originator wasn't already a donating member and subscribed to the forum and email could be sent advising him/her to do so if they wish to contnue the topic.

Just a thought, but it seems like win/win answer

attroll
03-19-2006, 13:57
Well that is an idea but something I don't think we want to take on. The only reason we created the Non-AT forums was to keep the the unrelated Appalachian Trail stuff there. We did not event want to create those forum but people would not stop posting non-At stuff in the AT section so we tried the non-AT forums out and guess what. it helped a little. But we still get people posting non-AT stuff in the wrong place.

It is hard enough to manage what we have now. How do you think we will be able to manage something like that?

I have an idea. Why doesn't someone create a web site and create their own forums and call it "Free for All. Then everyone can post what they want and get away with what ever they want. That would elevate some problems. I think they already have forums like that on the internet. So you would not have to create one. :)

orangebug
03-19-2006, 14:02
Isn't that what Myspace.com is supposed to be? We had a kid arrested last week for commenting on his fantasies of bombing his high school. :rolleyes:

I am in favor of abolition of the vestiges of prohibition, but do not believe that this website is an appropriate venue for such lobbying.

Sly
03-19-2006, 14:19
It is hard enough to manage what we have now. How do you think we will be able to manage something like that?

You asking me? You're the one with the technical know how! :)

You're the boss Troll, do what you think is best. There's no doubt some post are worthy of deletion, but in the meantime know, you like to move others around. I was just thinking (without much thought of how to technically do it) it would be a way of solving problems of off topic threads, and increasing donations.

Just Jeff
03-19-2006, 14:20
That would elevate some problems.

Haha...I think you meant "alleviate." Makes a difference here! :D

Moving sensitive topics to the donating members forum sounds like a good idea, but I don't think the trolls will respect the rule. They don't pay or follow the rules now, and I don't think moving a few threads will make them start.

Sly
03-19-2006, 14:30
Moving sensitive topics to the donating members forum sounds like a good idea, but I don't think the trolls will respect the rule. They don't pay or follow the rules now, and I don't think moving a few threads will make them start.

Excellent point. Peace probably has a better chance than trolls doing the right thing.

attroll
03-19-2006, 14:33
Haha...I think you meant "alleviate." Makes a difference here! :D

Thats is funny Jeff. I can not believe I did not catch that. It is the total opposite of what I meant.

Moving sensitive subjects to the donating members forums would I don't think would work. People come here mostly to talk Appalachian Trail stuff. That is why most of the donating members donated. They don't want to see non-AT stuff.

As it has been in the past we have pretty much let a lot of things go in the non-AT forums with the exception of rude argent post and bad language or any hate posts that could be construed as causing harm or the intent to. The AT forums is our main concern here. Not that we do not monitor the non-AT forums also. I personally would like to do away with the non_AT forums. But we have designed it that you do not see them unless you subscribe to them. This way if you want to only read posts dealing with the Appalachian Trail then by default that is all you see.

longshank
03-19-2006, 15:18
Of al the members, I must say that I have probably pushed the hardest, just to subsequently be given a more-than-fairly wide berth. It can be frustrating to anyone to see that their words have been stricken, their voices silenced. But one must find ways to express oneself in a manner appropriate to the arena within which one CHOOSES to participate. I must again say that I have been granted quite a bit of latitude considering the postures I have taken up in the past, and cannot find flaw with the moderation of this site.

Just Jeff
03-19-2006, 17:11
...one must find ways to express oneself in a manner appropriate to the arena within which one CHOOSES to participate...

Good words, longshank.

TACKLE
03-19-2006, 18:27
Dam,I missed what was said at the end of the original thread.
Could someone send a private message to fill me in?

Just Jeff
03-19-2006, 18:42
Just talking about smoking pot on the trail, whether or not it should be tolerated in the hiking community, civil disobedience and the morality of laws, etc. Nothing cosmic.

Old Spice
03-19-2006, 20:40
Pots on the trail? I use the MSR Titan kettle. Why is cookware a controversial topic? WB is a bunch of friggin' fascists.

Just Jeff
03-19-2006, 21:19
Not just any old cooking pots - smoking pots. The kind that require a campfire to get all smoky. You know how out of vogue campfires are with the LeaveNoTracifists. They're like the opposite of Luddites.

uncas
03-22-2006, 12:48
Hellos,

Since I participated in the original thread, I have mixed about it disappearing. Did not even think that kids might be reading it. O well, it is a great site. All free people fear the power of the censor.

And Just Jeff, Luddites are people that eschew technology. Campfires were a major step forward in technology for early man. How does a LNT facist then become the opposite of a Luddite for gainsaying campfires?

This kind of stuff keeps me up at night.

Just Jeff
03-22-2006, 13:01
And Just Jeff, Luddites are people that eschew technology. Campfires were a major step forward in technology for early man. How does a LNT facist then become the opposite of a Luddite for gainsaying campfires?

We're not allowed to rely on the millenia-old method of campfires, and now we're encouraged to use all this new stove technology that relies on petroleum manufacturing and mass production. (Even if you make your own, you're still using something that was mass produced and based on petroleum in the process.)

Love my JetBoil!

Rain Man
03-22-2006, 13:48
Since I participated in the original thread, I have mixed about it disappearing. Did not even think that kids might be reading it. O well, it is a great site. All free people fear the power of the censor...

Well, you have lots of company. Lots of people post without thinking.

I wonder if all free people fear anarchy too.

Personally, I like moderation and balance. But I don't pour ink into my milk. It only messes them both up.

You are correct. WhiteBlaze is a great site so far.

Rain:sunMan

Mother's Finest
03-23-2006, 19:32
kids should read intelligent, formed opinions. The government does not always have all the answers.

that said, I am quite sure that the TOU on this site state that the mods have the right and duty to delete anything they see fit.

I am biased on this debate, as it truly effects my and my wife's happiness and health.

"teach a man to fish, he will eat for life"

I love this site just the way it is.

peace
MF