PDA

View Full Version : Hike forums in Colorado

Flirty
03-16-2006, 22:43
I've been reading the WhiteBlaze site for months and am so impressed with the congenial community and friendships; it seems a safe place to discuss hiking issues, concerns, fun stuff, and find hiking partners. I want to hike the Rockies, not a thru hike, but a couple days, late this summer. I've done a search for hiking groups and there are hundreds related to Colorado. I'm exhausted trying to figure out a "safe community" like WhiteBlaze. Does anyone here have a suggestion where I can start some dialogue and plan a trip to Colorado in August? You guys are so dang knowledgeable and helpful.

KirkMcquest
03-16-2006, 22:48
and am so impressed with the congenial community and friendships; it seems a safe place to discuss hiking issues

Me and L.Wolf must have been away that week:D

Sly
03-16-2006, 23:00
There's 700 miles of awesome hiking in Colorado on the CDT. Get the guide by Westcliffe Pub. It's fairly accurate and has lots of resupply and trailhead info. The maps by Trails Illustrated are the most used.

Skidsteer
03-16-2006, 23:05
Me and L.Wolf must have been away that week:D

Flirty's been onboard ten days. Lone Wolf is hiking and hasn't posted since 3/14, and you've been downright pleasant of late:D .

MOWGLI
03-17-2006, 09:02
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php

Here is the website of a Whiteblaze regular (Mags) who lives in Boulder, CO. He helped me with a 60-mile hike I did last year on the Colorado Trail (Copper Mtn to Twin lakes) with my 15 year old daughter. He is arguably the most knowledgeable hiker about Colorado here on WB.

The Colorado Trail is awesome. You could also plan a circuit hike in any number of other places in the state.

Good luck to ya! Be sure to checkout Mags website.

MOWGLI
03-17-2006, 09:08
FYI, we enjoyed hiking the CT so much, that Team Mowgli is considering tearing off a bigger hunk this summer. 100 miles with my daughter, and perhaps another 100 by myself. The San Juans beckon.

SO many trails. SO little time.

BlackCloud
03-17-2006, 14:40
am so impressed with the congenial community and friendships; it seems a safe place... .

You mean like safe sex?:cool:

Sly
03-17-2006, 17:32
FYI, we enjoyed hiking the CT so much, that Team Mowgli is considering tearing off a bigger hunk this summer. 100 miles with my daughter, and perhaps another 100 by myself. The San Juans beckon.

SO many trails. SO little time.

If you want some company let me know.

I was thinking of doing the entire CT this summer but may not be able to get the time off. Lasting through spring to summer without quitting beforehand may be the tough part!

Mags
03-17-2006, 17:53
Thanks for the kind words Mowgli!

Yeah..if you any questions, about CO please let me know.

If you have want a long weekend for hiking Colorado (and make a loop) three choices come immediately to mind:

First, the Maroon Bells Loop. Mile for Mile it is THE most beautiful loop in Colorado (imo).

The normal loop is 26 miles and 7000' elev gain. If you break it up into three days, it is a nice loop that is moderately challenging, but very doable. If you can get in a day or two earlier to acclimate, even better. If you have more time/want more a challenge, add the Geneva Lake option. Make it 30 mile and 10000' elev gain..BUT, you get to a beautiful Geneva Lake and see many wildflowers when at peak.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dawndup/maroonbellsloop.html
Pics from a day hike I did on this loop (Yeah..I was nuts! :D)
http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=12441

The second choice, and also one of my favorites is the Indian Peaks loops near Boulder, CO. This loop is about 27 miles and 6700' elev gain (more if you go to crater lake as an out and back). Call this another challenging, but doable 3 day backpacking trip. You go over the divide twice and get some breathtaking scenery. The western side of the divide usually has some stunning wildflowers!
http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=10111&g2_page=23
(Yeah..it was another day hike for me. :D)

Another great loop is in Rocky Mountain National Park. About 35 miles (if doing side trips, 30 miles if not), similar elev gain. Another three day loop. This one goes on the "official" CDT over Flap Top Mtn from Bear Lake, goes around the western side of the divide (where there is usually Big Horn sheep) and almost goes into Grand Lake. Bear Lake and Flat Top is crowded..but once you are past that point..WOW! I suggested this loop to Chomp here on WB and he loved it. Check out his pics in the RMNP album.
http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-west2005

If you want more details, let me know. If you want some less ambitious, but still cool backpacking trips, let me know as well.

MOWGLI
03-17-2006, 17:54
If you want some company let me know.

I was thinking of doing the entire CT this summer but may not be able to get the time off. Lasting through spring to summer without quitting beforehand may be the tough part!

That might work Sly. I'll probably want to do the father/daughter bonding thing for 7-8 days, and then get out and do another 7-14 by myself or with company. Late July is looking promising. Lets kick it around.

Sly
03-17-2006, 18:07
That's cool. I'll talk to you at the AHS Conference

MOWGLI
03-17-2006, 18:15
That's cool. I'll talk to you at the AHS Conference

The AHS Conference is in 2007. I'll be at the Hot Springs Trail Fest. I won't be at Trail Days this year, but two of my co-workers will be.

Blister
03-17-2006, 18:22
Hey Sly, I know that Mala was planning on heading out to do some of the CT as well - could be an easy ride out there for ya. Then he may come find us out on the cdt either pre or post hike for some breakfast pancakes - yeh baby!

Sly
03-17-2006, 18:51
The AHS Conference is in 2007. I'll be at the Hot Springs Trail Fest. I won't be at Trail Days this year, but two of my co-workers will be.

2007! LOL... I almost put in for the weekend off today but noticed the dates didn't jive...

I'll be at Trailfest, manning the ALDHA booth...

Thanks for the heads up Blister. Doing a road trip and hike with Mala would be a gas. He was one of my 1st on-trail mentors... At some lookout in Georgia I asked, How long does the foot pain last?" His answer, "As long as it takes you to hike to Maine!'

Flirty
03-18-2006, 15:50
Flirty's been onboard ten days. Lone Wolf is hiking and hasn't posted since 3/14, and you've been downright pleasant of late:D .

Ten days registered as a member.... months of reading getting my feet wet and getting up the nerve to attempt posting anything here. Sometimes you guys are tough.

Flirty
03-18-2006, 15:52
Thanks for the kind words Mowgli!

If you have want a long weekend for hiking Colorado (and make a loop) three choices come immediately to mind:.

Thanks so much Mags. I'll grab maps, your suggested trails and get to planning. Love your website.

See, I knew someone here could point me in the right direction. Thanks folks.

Diomede
04-04-2006, 23:47
Right on, I'm planning a thru hike on the CT this summer, something like the month of July. Keep me posted as to when you all will be there, maybe I'll see ya then!

Flirty
04-09-2006, 15:51

Mags, a followup question please. I read a hiking handbook that suggested doing Colorado in August was not good due to bugs. Unfortunately, fitting in a week at work is looking like the 1st or last weeks in August is best; a slim chance I can take off the 2nd week in September.

Is there anything to the bug reference? I'm a Texan, seen my share of every bug known, so I can't imagine something that can't be handled. However, just from pure gorgeous views, and weather, is there a big difference between a couple days in the Rockies in August or September? Thanks in advance too!

MOWGLI
04-09-2006, 16:08
Mags, a followup question please. I read a hiking handbook that suggested doing Colorado in August was not good due to bugs. Unfortunately, fitting in a week at work is looking like the 1st or last weeks in August is best; a slim chance I can take off the 2nd week in September.

Is there anything to the bug reference? I'm a Texan, seen my share of every bug known, so I can't imagine something that can't be handled. However, just from pure gorgeous views, and weather, is there a big difference between a couple days in the Rockies in August or September? Thanks in advance too!

From Mag's website;

Colorado Trail "End to End" Guide

He has a pros & cons sections that compares summer & fall hiking. Check the link below;

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=30

Flirty
04-09-2006, 17:11
From Mag's website; Colorado Trail "End to End" Guide

Dang, I should have done more research before posting. Good stuff there. Thanks.

hustler
04-09-2006, 18:33
You might want to check out the San Juans or the Sangre de Cristos, less crowds and just amazing. Summit, Lake, and Pitkin Counties are just a little too crowded for my taste.

Flirty
04-09-2006, 22:10
Interesting, my dentist just told me about the San Juans this week. Said it was great.

MOWGLI
04-10-2006, 06:59
Interesting, my dentist just told me about the San Juans this week. Said it was great.

The CT through the San Juans is what I'm homing in on for this summer. I saw some of Profile & Almanacs photos from that area, as well as Bookburners. The area is jaw droppingly beautiful.

white blaze
04-14-2006, 04:05
The CT through the San Juans is what I'm homing in on for this summer. I saw some of Profile & Almanacs photos from that area, as well as Bookburners. The area is jaw droppingly beautiful.

Looks like water will be hard to find in the San Juans this summer. The snowpack on some parts of the southern CT is only 64 percent of normal this year.

Mags
04-14-2006, 12:22

Nahh..I wouldn't worry! If you are used to Texas bugs, the bugs in CO will not be bad at all. I kinda laugh when people mention how bad the bugs are in August. They should go to Yosemite or Maine in June. Arggh!

Sure, there will be some mossies, but nothing you can't handle. If you plan on hikiing at higher elevations, they won't be bad at all!

Mags
04-14-2006, 12:27
Looks like water will be hard to find in the San Juans this summer. The snowpack on some parts of the southern CT is only 64 percent of normal this year.

"Hard" is a relative term, though. Compared to Utah or So. Cal? Not bad at all.

If you are hiking the CT, check the databook. It lists the water sources that are petty stable.

Besides, and I always have to mention this fact, there almost always is a massive snow dump in Spring (early April to early May) that can change the equation drastically!

white blaze
04-14-2006, 13:32
I'll be hiking the CT in late August and early September, which is the dryest time of year, so I guess I'll have to take special precautions to find water. Think I'll have to divert off the trail or into town often down around the San Juans?

"Hard" is a relative term, though. Compared to Utah or So. Cal? Not bad at all.

If you are hiking the CT, check the databook. It lists the water sources that are petty stable.

Besides, and I always have to mention this fact, there almost always is a massive snow dump in Spring (early April to early May) that can change the equation drastically!

Mags
04-14-2006, 13:44
I'll be hiking the CT in late August and early September, which is the dryest time of year, so I guess I'll have to take special precautions to find water. Think I'll have to divert off the trail or into town often down around the San Juans?

I don't think so. Even in 2002 (a very nasty dry year) water was available. Just have to read the CT databook and look ay the symbols. The ones with a "full" or 3/4 water symbol will be very reliable in a year such as this, maybe even the half full symbol.

Basically, I would not sweat it. Just be prepared to dry camp once in a while.

And, just to emphasize again, a spring snow storm could change the equation.

Flirty
04-15-2006, 23:33
Just have to read the CT databook and look ay the symbols. The ones with a "full" or 3/4 water symbol will be very reliable in a year such as this, maybe even the half full symbol.

Mags, I did a search on CT databook - I found a book to purchase, but I question if that's what you were talking about. I also glanced thru your website for it (and got caught up reading about your runs - very awesome! I hope to move to ultra events in year).

Anyway, CT databook? I hate to ask, but gots to.... can you point me in the right direction for it, please?

Black Toe
04-16-2006, 05:51
Hi Flirty. You can get the CT Databook at [URL="www.coloradotrail.org"]. The databook is unchanged for this year I think. The new guidebook should be out sometime within the next month or so. You can put yourself on the waiting list for the guidebook. Hopefully if my recovery from injuries allow I'll be able to go back out there again this summer. You'll love it.

Flirty
04-16-2006, 12:58
Hi Flirty. You can get the CT Databook at [url="www.coloradotrail.org"]. The databook is unchanged for this year I think. .....

Cool. Your response means the book I found doing a search was indeed the very same book Mags mentioned. Okay. I've been reading websites on hiking San Juans-incredible scenery.Still waiting on approval for August or September vacation - ugh. I"m looking forward to heading to Colorado! Thanks.

Mags
04-17-2006, 11:51
Anyway, CT databook? I hate to ask, but gots to.... can you point me in the right direction for it, please?

Looks like Black Toe beat me to it . :)

Dollar for dollar and ounce for ounce, it is the best book on the CT. White Blaze's very own Wookie compiled the data for the most recent version.

A little side note: The new edition of the guidebook has the CT at 483 miles. The last guidebook (and current data book) listed it at 468 miles. Not a huge problem..but many people swear the CT is longer than the official reported mileage! Too funny...

Black Toe
04-17-2006, 16:25
Hey Mags, what can I say I have some free time on my hands nursing a broken collarbone and some broken ribs. Cycling is a wonderful sport until you hit the pavement at 25 mph+. By the way what kind of weather can I exspect say around the beginning of August to mid September? Starting from Waterton.