PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kit Contents

Programbo
03-16-2006, 23:05
I know what is suggested to take but what do you all intend to actually carry as far as First-Aid supplies on your thru?..Be honest now...I will have to confess to having used to carry very little

hikerjohnd
03-17-2006, 00:17
I carry a pair of nippers, two or three bandaids, foil pouch of neosporin, 20 or so ibuprofin, and a small baggie if immodium (5-6 pills). Total weight unknown, but my misc kit (containing my Zipka, rope w/beaner (30 feet), first aid kit, headphones, mp3 player, and 3 spare batts) weighs 8.4 ozs. The nippers are probably the heaviest item by far, but I use them every day just about...

orangebug
03-17-2006, 09:01
The contents vary depending on your definition of first aid, and the inclusiveness of your multiple use ethic. For instance, backpack stays and treking poles can be used for splints. Clothing and safety pins become slings. Duct tape and a bandana become a pressure dressing. A Platypus bladder and water become an irrigation syringe.

Peaks
03-17-2006, 09:05
First aid contents vary. Some carry a small ER. Others, just a band-aid.

One suggestion is to look in any AT guidebook. They each have a list of suggested first aid contents.

Thru-hikers generally carry less. They are prepared for common trail injuries: moleskin or something for blisters, a few band aids for scrapes and cuts, and vitamin I.

How accident prone are you? And what type of injuries do you typically have while hiking and backpacking?

Ask yourself if the weight of an item justifies carrying because of the safety and comfort it provides you. Like all gear, no one solution for all people.

Rockjock
03-17-2006, 09:30
For my actual kit I use an old altoids tin and carry (total weight tin and all is 70g or 2.5oz):
4 bandaids (2 for me and 2 for you)
4 butterfly sutures
2 alcohol prep pads (from a fast food chain)
12 tylenol tabs
8 pepto tabs
a business card with my contact info, blood type, and allergies
saftey pin
one 2x2 pad
one OB tampon (works great on nose bleeds)

For stuff worn or carried elsewhere:
bandanna
duct tape (on trekking poles)
trekking poles
camelback
lighter
knife
moleskin

Well off the top of my head that's all I can remeber, I am quite the calamity jane so I try to cover all scenarios. But in almost 17 years of hiking I have really only had minor cuts and scrapes and headaches/muscle aches, so I don't carry a full ER as some I know do.

Rock

Doctari
03-17-2006, 11:01
In my firstaid/tool kit:
2 4X4 bandages, 3 or 4 assorted bandaids, roll of 2" gauze, Antacid, Immodium, Aspirin, Aleve, knife, Hemostats, 2 needles, apx 10' of heavy duty thread, 20' duct tape, 3 alcohol preps, film can of Bag Balm, 2 electrical "Zip ties", 2 lg Safety pins, mole skin.

That's it. Have never used: 4x4s, bandaids, 2" gauze.

Multiple use items like duct tape get used almost daily. Several times if I didn't have Duct tape = Hike Over!

Doctari.

orangebug
03-17-2006, 11:36
In my firstaid/tool kit:
2 4X4 bandages, 3 or 4 assorted bandaids, roll of 2" gauze, Antacid, Immodium, Aspirin, Aleve, knife, Hemostats, 2 needles, apx 10' of heavy duty thread, 20' duct tape, 3 alcohol preps, film can of Bag Balm, 2 electrical "Zip ties", 2 lg Safety pins, mole skin.

That's it. Have never used: 4x4s, bandaids, 2" gauze.
I have to wonder what you used the hemostats and thread for. I have carried some silk suture, but I can't imagine really doing a Rambo field laceration repair.

I carry a lot more safety pins as zipper pulls, knowing that you can use them to support an arm/shoulder pretty well.

SGTdirtman
03-17-2006, 13:52
8 regular size bandaids
2 4x4 bandaids
2 3x36" gauze pads w/ petrolatum
1 roll of 1" medical tape
1 pair if mini sizzors
6 benadryl
8 Motrin
6 extra strength tylenol
4 tums
2 halls sore throat thingies
tube of triple antibiotic cream
tube of hydrocortisone cream
4 q-tips
6-8 alcohol pads
razor blade
safety pins

Out of all this stuff that I carry... the only thing I've ever used is the motrin.

Seeker
03-17-2006, 15:13
my philosophy is to carry only what would help me get off the trail and to help (first aid). imho, most hiker injuries are going to be sprains/twists/breaks, puncture wounds from falling into something like a broken branch, rashes/poison ivy, or 1st and 2nd degree burns... with that in mind, here's what i carry:

-4 x pre-treated bandaids (Neosporin is already smeared on the pad)
-2 x 4x4 bandages (small burn, eye injury)
-several tablets each of aspirin (tylenol just makes me sicker... have no idea why), pepto bismol, sinus stuff, and cough drops (just to get me dried up enough to continue).
-tweezers (usually less intrusive, and easier on someone who's never done it before if they have to be the one to help me... i've been worked on by a neophyte who was using a pin for the first time... OUCH!)
-army battle dressing (punctures/bleeding/small burn covering)
-army bandana/sling w/2 huge safety pins that come with it (arm sling for a break, wound cover for large burn, support for a sprained ankle, or torn into pieces to make splint ties)
-moleskin
-Lanacaine ointment

I might add some ibuprofin if i was going out for more than 4-5 days, expecting knee pain.

Seeker
03-17-2006, 15:16
dang... no edit button...

please note the first aid comment should have been followed by an indication that i do so only because that's all i know how to do... i'm not an EMT, doc, nurse, or medic... but what i do carry, i can use.

the goat
03-17-2006, 15:30
duct tape.

Doctari
03-17-2006, 21:10
I have to wonder what you used the hemostats and thread for. I have carried some silk suture, but I can't imagine really doing a Rambo field laceration repair.

Thread for sewing stuff together :p Don't know if I could sew me together either. But, you never know.

The hemostats replaced my thimble after I pushed a needle thru it & my thumb trying to sew together my pack strap on a ridge in the Smokies. It also can do double duty: pulling out splinters, pot lid lifter, holding stuff together, hanging my sheet music as I play, etc.

Doctari.

Blue Jay
03-17-2006, 21:20
IMO the only thing that is madatory is something to stop massive bleeding. The rest is fluff, nice to have, but you can do without it.

SGTdirtman
03-17-2006, 21:34
duct tape.

duck tape.

fiddlehead
03-17-2006, 22:52
needle, dental floss (for thread), duct tape, and aspirin (for hangovers) , and neosporin.
In 7 thru's this is all i've ever needed although i have used fingernail clippers but i don't consider them first aid.

wilderness bob
03-17-2006, 23:09
It is not what you carry, it is knowing that if you need something, getting to a town was not that difficult to do. Buy what you need when you need it. Prescription meds is basically what I carried in my first aid kit. Those I had mailed to me in one month supplies. I did have with me a nail clipper, safety pin and a small container of Gold Bond powder for when the heat was on (to prevent rash), that was about it. If there was anything else it was residual from what I bought along the way.