PDA

View Full Version : Spring trip to the Smokies

CaptChaos
03-16-2006, 23:56
Hello everyone:

For the last 8 years I have backpacked the Smokies it seems to the same spot, i.e., Cades Cove Ranger Station to Spence Field Shelter to Russell Field Shelter and return back to Cades Cove.

Don't ask me why but I have always enjoyed this trip and I just was there in October from Cades Cove to Spence Field and back when Storm RITA kicked my behind at Spence Field.

My question is that I have always backpacked in July or August. Before I start my new job I am thinking about going down to Cades Cove and doing my usual trip but doing it at the end of March or the first of April.

For all of you who have more experience than me at this how do you think the weather will be. And what kind of outer clothing should I be considering. When I went in October I had a medium coat and long pants just in case and I think that I only used them in the morning.

Any ideas?

I plan to do maybe Cades Cove to Russell Springs to Spence Field and back.

Thanks

John :-?

Whiskyjo
03-17-2006, 00:15
Doing the same trip on Tuesday and saw that at 4500' elevation was around 25 degrees last night . Also March is the second wettest month of the year in the smokies. enjoy

CaptChaos
03-17-2006, 10:06
Doing the same trip on Tuesday and saw that at 4500' elevation was around 25 degrees last night . Also March is the second wettest month of the year in the smokies. enjoy

Whiskyjo:

Thanks for the post. If you get the chance when you get back I would like to know the conditions and how your trip went.

If you are going to Russell Field Shelter do you know where the backup water source is down past the spring that is usually full of horse "crap"?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

John :D

Whiskyjo
03-24-2006, 22:29
Capt. we had a great time. Plenty Of nice weather. Rained turned into snow and the frost on the trees was gorgeous. We got up this morning to three inches of fresh snow at backcountry site 10 on the Russell Field trail and got to make first tracks down the mountain.Spence had three thru hikers one trail angel named wildcat that brought up a dozen apples, oranges three chunks of cheese and home made bread. Life was good, oh oh did I mention we also had four singing college girls stay with us also. Take care bud,, Whiskyjo

soad
03-24-2006, 23:18
April 2 of last year we had 6-8 inches of snow at Mt. Sterling and more coming, the day before I was at Newfound Gap in a t-shirt. April is actually my favorite time of year in the Smokies, chance of snow, not a lot of crowds.