PDA

View Full Version : Supported FKT Timing?

jkuenzle95
06-19-2020, 08:34
Hey guys! Hoping to join the parade of nerds trying to set an FKT on the trail. Just wondering what everyone thought about timing an FKT, ie when to do it. Looking online, it seems a lot of attempts started in July and finished in August. I'm trying to balance temperature, rainfall, trail conditions, and daylight hours to find the ideal time to start a supported attempt (Next summer). I'm thinking starting NOBO in early June, when it's a little cooler, and splitting the effort over the solstice. What do you think? Will New England be too muddy in early July? Not sure on chance of severe weather in the Whites and how that varies based on time of year.

Unrelated, but linked is a cool product I'm building up and it should be helpful for anyone attempting an FKT. It's a map with all the parking lots and AT shelters on it and I'm working on plotting where previous runners/hikers stayed in each night during their FKT attempt. I've got Karel on there and working on Joe now.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/drive?state=%7B%22ids%22%3A%5B%221QXAyYrPxO3nJS-ra-U16AARDPGbdbbDd%22%5D%2C%22action%22%3A%22open%22% 2C%22userId%22%3A%22110987074218473434915%22%7D&usp=sharing

-Simple Jack

ScottS
06-19-2020, 16:45
The solstice played a part when I had tried although I don't think it's super important.

TNhiker
06-19-2020, 20:59
wow....

clever way to set up your spam....

chknfngrs
06-19-2020, 23:29
Nah this dude is legit.

Has 3 FKTs under his belt.

Rock on Simple Jack!

Traveler
06-20-2020, 07:35
Weather does what it does. I would imagine since FKTs are based on trail conditions, weather events (or lack of them) and their severity will impact speed and are hard to predict a year out. One can employ averages, but as my grandfather said about using them for weather prognostication, "put one foot in a bucket of very hot water, the other foot in very cold water, on average you will be uncomfortable."

Bring a rain coat.

Linesman
06-20-2020, 09:15
Roxbury?! You run in any of the Roxbury Races?

Heres a thread about daylight hours (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/107185-Planning-a-thru-hike-to-maximize-daylight-hours?highlight=) from back when I was planning and FKT attempt...

Scrum
06-20-2020, 22:17
Simple Jake - Good luck on your FTK. Early July is often a wonderful time to be in the Whites. Probably a bit more volatility with the swings in weather conditions than you would get later in the summer. I often spend a week in the Whites in early July and 4 out of 5 times the temps are good and there is only a little rain. With a little luck you could have perfect weather. But there is definitely a meaningful chance of hitting some cold and wet conditions, more so than 2nd half of July and 1st half of August.

Hope it all works out for you.

jkuenzle95
06-22-2020, 08:35
Roxbury?! You run in any of the Roxbury Races?

Heres a thread about daylight hours (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/107185-Planning-a-thru-hike-to-maximize-daylight-hours?highlight=) from back when I was planning and FKT attempt...

I do! Whenever I get home I try to, which isn’t that often. I live in Virginia now but definitely still claim Roxbury. Have you been? Thanks for linking that thread, lots of good info. The Katahdin weather closure problem is a bit troubling.