PDA

View Full Version : Happy St. Patricks Day!!

KirkMcquest
03-17-2006, 11:50
I toast my pint to all you whiteblazers. May you be a half an hour in heaven, before the devil knows your dead!:D

Big Oz
03-17-2006, 12:07
Thanks,Kirk

MOWGLI
03-17-2006, 12:11
I really miss the Corned Beef & Cabbage from New York. I have a brisket sittin in the fridge, but since it's lent and Friday, I'll be doing the fish fry at church tonite. The brisket will have to wait til tomorrow.

Happy St. Paddys Day to all!

Tin Man
03-17-2006, 12:22
I really miss the Corned Beef & Cabbage from New York. I have a brisket sittin in the fridge, but since it's lent and Friday, I'll be doing the fish fry at church tonite. The brisket will have to wait til tomorrow.

Happy St. Paddys Day to all!

The local Bishop gave the diocese special dispensation. :)

Tabasco
03-17-2006, 12:26
So did ours Tin Man. But then again, I hate corned beef, so I would rather stick with the fish.

gr8fulyankee
03-17-2006, 12:26
Just like the Catholics, make it up as they go along !

Almost There
03-17-2006, 12:34
Some of you do realize that the whole eating fish thing was an invention of the Catholic Church that was developed in the middle ages when the Church was the single largest owner of fisheries in Europe. Not eating meat has zero biblical origins.

MOWGLI
03-17-2006, 12:38
Whatever. Heaven knows I'm no bible scholar (pun intended).

We have homeless folks staying at our church this week. My wife is the coordinator of the program, and I'm the overnight host. So... I'm getting a free meal at the church in exchange for staying overnight as a volunteer. It works for me.

Tin Man
03-17-2006, 12:39
I don't pay attention to much of the s**t anyway. My wife torpedoes any attempt I try to make. The first Friday of Lent as she was running out the door, my wife gave me instructions to avoid meat and cook spaghetti and sauce for the boys and myself. The sauce she gave me to heat up turned out to be meat sauce! :o

MOWGLI
03-17-2006, 12:43
One more thing about church. I told my wife that we have to enjoy ourselves in this life, cause CLEARLY we won't be spending time together in the afterlife. If there is such a thing.

If there is, she'll be wearing white and playing a harp. As Bob Weir sang, "I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride."

the goat
03-17-2006, 12:46
Just like the Catholics, make it up as they go along !

actually, not at all dude. the feast days of saints have traditionally been days of reprieve from fast within the church.

Gray Blazer
03-17-2006, 12:57
I asked my Irish Friend, "Why do the Irish always answer a question with another question?" He replied, "Noow, who's been tellin' you that?"

DawnTreader
03-17-2006, 12:57
the goat is right.. i should know.. corned beef and cabbage is my speciality....eat away, jesus would have.. just because its friday dosn't mean you can't celebrate a saint's feast day....If you still feel guilty why not try sea bass and cabbage, or pickerall and cabbage.... or for you Asians out there, maybe some mahi-mahi and cabbage???

Almost There
03-17-2006, 13:14
Mowgs,

No shot intended, just pointing out a piece of historical useless knowledge in the spirit of Jack. I think you helping out at church is a good thing!

I like the Bob Weir reference, but as for me I am going to Baptist Hell...that is where all the cool people go!

KirkMcquest
03-17-2006, 13:17
St. Patrick was a gentleman, who through strategy and stealth, drove the snakes from Ireland. Here's a toast to his health!!;)

the goat
03-17-2006, 13:40
in five hours, my liver will be saturated in guinness:)

mambo_tango
03-17-2006, 13:49
St. Patrick wasn't even Catholic or Irish. He was a Briton.

KirkMcquest
03-17-2006, 13:52

Don't be such a buzz kill, lassy.:)

Lobo
03-17-2006, 13:54
http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/21405

KirkMcquest
03-17-2006, 14:02
in five hours, my liver will be saturated in guinness:)

Friend of my soul, a pint's sip
T'will chase away the pensive tear
Not as sweet as woman's lip
but, oh, tis more sincere.

longshank
03-17-2006, 14:05
He was Irish on the inside.

KirkMcquest
03-17-2006, 14:07
As all right and proper folk are, Longshanks

the goat
03-17-2006, 14:09
Friend of my soul, a pint's sip
T'will chase away the pensive tear
Not as sweet as woman's lip
but, oh, tis more sincere.

that's classic, dude! i wonder what the chances are, of me being able to remember that one when i'm 8 pints deep tonight.....

Tin Man
03-17-2006, 14:10
You all know that St. Patrick's Day celebration is a U.S. thing, right? The Irish, who live in Ireland, fly to New York to join the festivities as it is just another day (of drinking) in Ireland.

KirkMcquest
03-17-2006, 14:12
that's classic, dude! i wonder what the chances are, of me being able to remember that one when i'm 8 pints deep tonight.....

It's designed to be said while drunk, where slurring of the words only adds to the melody.:D

mambo_tango
03-17-2006, 14:16
Don't be such a buzz kill, lassy.:)

Since I am only 20 and working late tonight I can be a buzz kill if I want to!:p

longshank
03-17-2006, 14:16
Since I am only 20 and working late tonight I can be a buzz kill if I want to!:p
We'll raise a pint to you!

KirkMcquest
03-17-2006, 14:18

Look at your watch at ten o'clock, me and 'shanks will be toasting you;)

longshank
03-17-2006, 14:19
Dude, we've gotta get off this site and get moving...the bald one has been sucessfully raised.

mambo_tango
03-17-2006, 14:21
Well Happy St Patrick's to all you soon to be drunken people. ;)

c.coyle
03-17-2006, 14:22
The Irish don't eat corned beef & cabbage. That comes from Wales. Irish do eat boiled bacon or boiled pork shoulder and cabbage.

I'm a Coyle whose mom was a Scanlin, and I hate St. Pat's. Amateur hour like New Year's Eve. People who just want to get drunk on green beer, and wouldn't even notice (much less punch) someone walking in wearing orange from head to toe. If I knew how to say bah humbug in Gaelic, I would.

Nevertheless, sláinte to all my friends, Irish or not.

KirkMcquest
03-17-2006, 14:24
Dude, we've gotta get off this site and get moving...the bald one has been sucessfully raised.

Getting off now. See you at 3:30

longshank
The Irish don't eat corned beef & cabbage. That comes from Wales. Irish do eat boiled bacon or boiled pork shoulder and cabbage.

I'm a Coyle whose mom was a Scanlin, and I hate St. Pat's. Amateur hour like New Year's Eve. People who just want to get drunk on green beer, and wouldn't even notice (much less punch) someone walking in wearing orange from head to toe. If I knew how to say bah humbug in Gaelic, I would.

Nevertheless, sláinte to all my friends, Irish or not.
You sad, sad man.

longshank
Later, dude.

gr8fulyankee
03-17-2006, 14:26
actually, not at all dude. the feast days of saints have traditionally been days of reprieve from fast within the church.

Actually yeah, organised religion is the biggest and oldest money making pyramid scheme around, they hide what they want when it condradicts what they preach and change the past to benefit themselves.

Their is no god
Their is no budda
There is only me.

c.coyle
03-17-2006, 14:46
You sad, sad man.

Have fun at Amateur Hour. If at some point today or tonight the opposite wall appears to be covered with fluorescent lights, you have fallen over backwards. Have yourself chained to the bar.

Disney
03-17-2006, 14:47
Actually yeah, organised religion is the biggest and oldest money making pyramid scheme around, they hide what they want when it condradicts what they preach and change the past to benefit themselves.

Their is no god
Their is no budda
There is only me.

Wow, Happy St. Patrick's Day leads to this. How about Merry Christmas? Does that send you into spasms. Lighten up man. And Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Erin go Braugh.

the goat
03-17-2006, 14:48

Their is no god
Their is no budda
There is only me.

sorry a/b your God-hate, dude, but i was merely pointing out to you, that your previous statement was flawed, and that you were clearly talking out of your ass.

p.s. keep "evolving", dude, "organized" is spelled with a "z".:rolleyes:

Trooper347
03-17-2006, 14:56
To all those here, I will leave something my great-grand mother used to say on holidays. Happy St Patrick's Day!

An Irish Blessing

"May they're always be work for your hands to do.

May your purse always hold a coin or two.

May the sun always shine on your windowpane.

May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain.

May the hand of a friend always be near you.

May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you."

Disney
03-17-2006, 15:14
He was Irish on the inside.

We're all Irish on the inside.

Especially today - (quoting The Simpsons) - where everyone is just a wee bit Irish, except of course for the gays and the Italians.

longshank
03-17-2006, 15:23
Have fun at Amateur Hour. If at some point today or tonight the opposite wall appears to be covered with fluorescent lights, you have fallen over backwards. Have yourself chained to the bar.
I'll take precautions.

the goat
03-17-2006, 15:30
I'll take precautions.

do you and mcquest ever hang out @ stout in the city?

MOWGLI
03-17-2006, 15:37

Their is no god
Their is no budda
There is only me.

Póg mo thóin :banana

the goat
03-17-2006, 15:43

excellent gaelic, mowgli!:D

neo
03-17-2006, 15:49
:D :D neo:cool:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10085&catid=member&imageuser=3462

KirkMcquest
03-18-2006, 04:53
Many pints later Mcquest arises, unscathed! And I'll leave you with one more; There are good ships, there are wood ships, there are ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be.

-Mcquest

gr8fulyankee
03-18-2006, 11:38

Léchez mes boules

MOWGLI
03-18-2006, 11:52
Léchez mes boules

I'm sorry Grateful Yankee. I don't know what came over me. One moment I was tooling around in the kitchen, and the next I was telling you to "Póg mo thóin."

Perhaps it was divine intervention? Lets just say "the devil made me do it." :dance

gr8fulyankee
03-18-2006, 12:03
I'm sorry Grateful Yankee. I don't know what came over me. One moment I was tooling around in the kitchen, and the next I was telling you to "Póg mo thóin."

Perhaps it was divine intervention? Lets just say "the devil made me do it." :dance

Thats ok, let just agree to drink a beer and forget about it. :o

MOWGLI
03-18-2006, 12:18
Thats ok, let just agree to drink a beer and forget about it. :o

Sounds like a deal, but O'Douls is my idea of a beer. I'm am a big dead head from b"back in the day" however. First show was May 13, '78 at the Philly Spectrum.

Jack Straw, Dire Wolf, Beat It On Down The Line, Peggy-O, El Paso, Row Jimmy, Minglewood Blues, Candyman, The Music Never Stopped Bertha-> Good Lovin', Terrapin Station-> Playin' In The Band-> Drums-> Truckin'-> Black Peter-> Sugar Magnolia, E: One More Saturday Night

Click here (http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=11993)to stream the show.

Sly
03-18-2006, 12:38
I'm am a big dead head from b"back in the day" however. First show was May 13, '78 at the Philly Spectrum.

Oh, post Pigpen. Does that count? ;)

MOWGLI
03-18-2006, 12:41
I was 12 when Pigpen pickled himself. I caught my first show at age 16 - and hitched from NY to Philly to do it. Was my mother ever pissed!

bfitz
03-18-2006, 13:39
To all those here, I will leave something my great-grand mother used to say on holidays. Happy St Patrick's Day!

An Irish Blessing

"May they're always be work for your hands to do.

May your purse always hold a coin or two.

May the sun always shine on your windowpane.

May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain.

May the hand of a friend always be near you.

May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you."

May the road rise to meet you....and may the wind at your back always be your own!
And may you be in heaven a half hour before the divil knows yor dead!

Being irish rules!

Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste, (Broken Irish is better...)
ná Béarla* cliste, a méal gael. (than clever english, in the mouth of an Irishman)

*The Irish word for English is Béarla. Unlike most other cases, the name of the language (Béarla) is not based on the name of the country (Sasana). It is said that the word 'Béarla' was originally 'béalra' meaning literally gibberish...

-Brendan Patrick FitzPatrick (bfitz):D

bfitz
03-18-2006, 13:46
Now some men take delight in the drinking and the roving,
And others in the gambling and the smoking.
But I take delight in the juice of the barley,
And courting pretty fair maids in the morning bright and early....

bfitz
03-18-2006, 13:47
oops that was meant for the quotes thread....

Red Hat
03-18-2006, 13:49
St. Patrick's Day Memories:
2004 - I left the hostel at Neel's Gap early and hiked to Cowrock Mt. I met a day hiker there who was worried about me (I was carrying too much, trying to go too fast, and just plain worn out after 3 days from Springer) She offered me a ride into Helen, Ga and I gracefully accepted. After a shower at the Helendorf, I headed over to a nearby pub, where I celebrated with a giant burger and green beer.

2005 - This year I was more rested at I took 4 days to get to Neels Gap instead of 3. On March 16th, I stayed in a cabin with 7 other hikers and ate at an AYCE. On the 17th, several hikers had their packs tuckered so I got a late start waiting for Mother Goose. My pack was already under 25 lbs, so I didn't get tuckered. We hiked out in a light snow that made for a real winter wonderland. The plan was to stop at Low Gap for the night, but it was getting dark by the time we made Testnatee Gap. A car drove up and we looked at each other knowingly, and accepted the ride to town. Again I chose the Helendorf and we again ate burgers and green beer.

I miss St. Pattys Day in Helen....

longshank
03-18-2006, 14:26
do you and mcquest ever hang out @ stout in the city?
Never been there...where is it?

the goat
03-18-2006, 21:27
Never been there...where is it?

133 W. 33rd St., Manhattan....here's a link to their website:

http://www.stoutnyc.com/

there's an awesome celtic rock band that plays there every month or so called "scythian". it's a pretty cool place to hang out.

Teatime
03-19-2006, 08:26
Uh, No. St. Patrick was born in Scotland and was certainly Roman Catholic. But don't take my word for it.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11554a.htm

mambo_tango
03-19-2006, 08:52
Have you ever read his "confessions''?

MOWGLI
03-19-2006, 10:20
133 W. 33rd St., Manhattan....here's a link to their website:

http://www.stoutnyc.com/

there's an awesome celtic rock band that plays there every month or so called "scythian". it's a pretty cool place to hang out.

When I was a drinkin man long long ago, my favorite place in NYC was McSorleys Old Ale House (http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/). They still had unisex bathrooms when I was going there.

Their liverwurst and bermuda onion sandwich on rye with hot & spicy mustard is to die for - as is their cheese plate. If I was to fall off the wagon (after 20 years) I'd hope it was in front of 15 E. 7th Street in Manhattan. :banana

the goat
03-19-2006, 15:09
When I was a drinkin man long long ago, my favorite place in NYC was McSorleys Old Ale House (http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/). They still had unisex bathrooms when I was going there.

Their liverwurst and bermuda onion sandwich on rye with hot & spicy mustard is to die for - as is their cheese plate. If I was to fall off the wagon (after 20 years) I'd hope it was in front of 15 E. 7th Street in Manhattan. :banana

yeah, i've got a lot of friends from school that live in the city. i've heard them talk a/b mcsorley's before, i'll make sure we hit it up next time i'm up there so i can get some liver & ale.....goats love liver... almost as much as ale. :D

longshank
03-19-2006, 16:32

Ahhhhh, McSorley's....what can I say? Perfection doesn't occur often.

KirkMcquest
03-20-2006, 01:06
No whiskey served in Mcsorley's though, a flaw which is partially compensated for by their home-brew, which you'd better drink alot of if you expect to walk out of there with a buzz.

Mags
03-20-2006, 13:20
We're all Irish on the inside.

Especially today - (quoting The Simpsons) - where everyone is just a wee bit Irish, except of course for ... the Italians.

(snipped out reference to a group I don't belong) :)

Yes..Happy Belated St. Josheph's Day all! (March 19th)

If you gew up in an area that has a heavy Italian-American population....this day means..well, not too much really. :D

OK..it does mean some DELICIOUS pastry called zeppole. And a token "Sons of Italy" group in the local St. Patricks Day parade (I kid you not).

http://riroads.com/members/stjosephsday.htm

True story: on more than one occassion my last name was butchered and pronounced MacNanti. Huh?

Sorry..but when I saw the Simpson's quote, narturally I had to talk about the other Catholic ethnic holiday in March. :)

I'll still have a toast though to the Irish. They gave us Guinness and Jamison Whiskey..what's not to like?