PDA

View Full Version : Six Moons Designs tent

ryan207
03-17-2006, 12:37
Has anyone used the Europa tent made by six moons designs on their thru hike? If so, how was it in wet weather??

verber
03-17-2006, 14:37
I haven't tru-hiked with the Europa, but I did put in a number of miles. Are you interested in the Europa, or the later versions (The Europa II, or the Europa 05). These are very different shelters.

The Europa was the most condensation prone shelter I have used. It decent for one person, but I won't put two people into it. A short review can be found: http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/reviews/europa.html

The Europa II and 05 were a significant redesign and improvement. I don't own either of these, but I have been with folks who do own these shelters. They are very nice. My friends are more or less divided evenly as to whether the tarptent squall2 or the europa 05 is the best, ultralight 2-person, 3-season shelter.

If you are looking at a solo shelter, I would highly recommend checking out the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. Especially if you are dealing with a lot of rain it is the best ultralight shelter going. Once again, I don't own one but have check out friends. I use a shaped tarp. If I didn't already own tarp, this is the shelter I would purchase for solo trips.

--mark

ronmoak
03-17-2006, 15:18
I haven't tru-hiked with the Europa, but I did put in a number of miles. Are you interested in the Europa, or the later versions (The Europa II, or the Europa 05). These are very different shelters.--mark

Mark,

Actually on the Europa '05, we've dropped the '05 from the name. So it's listed simply as the Europa on our website. Obviously there's a significant difference between the current Europa and the original version released in '02.

Clearly that causes a bit of confusion by people familiar with us. However, I still like the name and fortunately most people don't remember the old tent.

Ron

neo
03-17-2006, 15:42
my buddy sneakers says his six moon:cool: solo is terrible:cool: neo

he should have done this:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10209&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10161&catid=member&imageuser=3462

digger51
03-17-2006, 16:50
Ron..I plan to order either the Lunar Solo or the Europa after I get to Neels Gap next week and check them out. My question is, for an extra fee can I get you to sew eyelets for tent pegs about halfway between each corner? I like to stake the sides extra close to the ground. If not, no big deal, just thought I would check. You will get my order on the 1st regardless.

ronmoak
03-17-2006, 17:01
Ron..I plan to order either the Lunar Solo or the Europa after I get to Neels Gap next week and check them out. My question is, for an extra fee can I get you to sew eyelets for tent pegs about halfway between each corner? I like to stake the sides extra close to the ground. If not, no big deal, just thought I would check. You will get my order on the 1st regardless.

Shouldn't be a problem.

Ron

rumbler
03-17-2006, 17:02
I hiked in the original Europa in a very wet 2003 AT season. Once I figured out how to properly set it up (the condensation issue was managable.

I currently use the Solo as the more frequently used of my two tents, and I think it's a very good one-person tent, provided that you are not especially tall. Great ventilation and plenty of space for storage without being cavernous.

My brother uses the Europa II on my recommendation, and he loves it. Plenty of room, reasonable ventilation and lightweight for the room.

ryan207
03-18-2006, 09:38
Yeah I was interested in purchasing a solo tent of some sort for my MEGA in '07' and it got really good reviews in backpacker mag. I think I remember a little something about condensation, but its only gonna be me sleeping in it so I will check it out I think. Thank you.

FreezeDried
07-28-2007, 22:04
I thru'd in '05 with the Europa II and I was dry every night regardless of rain/snow... the tent never ripped, the only problem was I broke a tent pole in CT, ron moak overnighted me a new one free of charge.