PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Good Length for a Thru Shakedown

mineola_randy
03-17-2006, 13:53
I have seriously considered a thru for several years. However, I keep getting cold feet for many reasons. I feel that I need to plan a shorter shakedown hike to tune my gear, my body, my expectations and my attitude. I am thinking of 2 weeks and 150 or so miles on the CT this summer. How long a trip does it take to get a feel for the routine and rigors of thru-hiking?

Thanks for your opinions

Randy Brown

Ender
03-17-2006, 14:03
That's a good length for a training hike, though here's the thing...

Even at the end of my hike, I was still fine tuning things. It's a more fluid process than one set in stone. And also, every hike is different, and you'll find different ways to do the same thing hike to hike. Some things, the basics, don't change much, and a training hike will get those worked out for you.

On the flip side though, many many successful thru hikers had never hiked more than a weekend, if at all, before tackling the AT. It's more in the mindset than in any training or preperation... if you're open to the AT and to making things work, they will.

I will say that I do believe that having a certain level of athletic fitness prior to your hike will make the first three weeks, when your body is getting into the swing of things, much easier.

Don't let cold feet stop you! You'll only regret it, and one day on the trail and your feet will be nice and toasty again. :)

longshank
03-17-2006, 14:18
I have seriously considered a thru for several years. However, I keep getting cold feet for many reasons. I feel that I need to plan a shorter shakedown hike to tune my gear, my body, my expectations and my attitude. I am thinking of 2 weeks and 150 or so miles on the CT this summer. How long a trip does it take to get a feel for the routine and rigors of thru-hiking?

Thanks for your opinions

Randy Brown
Are you talking about the Colorado trail or the Cohos?

mineola_randy
03-17-2006, 14:20
The Colorado Trail. I was planning on Denver (Waterton Canyon) to Tennessee Pass. Where is the Cohos Trail?

Randy Brown

longshank
03-17-2006, 14:22
Cohos Trail is in New Hampshire, very remote and wild, I've heard that after you pass a certain point, you see giant moose every day. It's 160 miles long, with a middle of nowhere northern terminus. Eight or so waterfalls, takes you up almost into canada. Doin' it up this summer.

Mags
03-17-2006, 18:01
Cohos Trail is in New Hampshire, very remote and wild, I've heard that after you pass a certain point, you see giant moose every day. It's 160 miles long, with a middle of nowhere northern terminus. Eight or so waterfalls, takes you up almost into canada. Doin' it up this summer.

I heard the CoHos is quite nice. A wilder twin to the Long Trail.

Take plenty of pics!

Peaks
03-17-2006, 18:05
What's a good length for a shakedown hike? Well, for many rookies, it's the AT from Springer to Neels Gap, about 30 miles and 3 days. I hear that they ship a whole lot of gear home from there, and do a lot of re-outfitting.

How long does it take to get into shape? There is nothing like backpacking to get you in shape for backpacking. It generally takes 4 weeks/or 400 miles for that to happen.

How long does it take to feel like a thru-hiker. As others have posted, maybe 150 miles or more. Certainly trails like the Colorado Trail, Cohos Trail, Northfield-Lake Placid Trail, or Long Trail will get you in the spirit.

Twofiddy
03-17-2006, 20:25
Come on a Vacation to Pennsylvania and do a Thru-Hike of the Laurel Highlands Trail. 70 miles 1 way, hike a yoyo hike both ways, get good ridge top walking on eneven trail surface, a few excellent uphills, and more.

Great trail to prepair for an AT Thruhike, and you will have added another Thru Hike to your hiking resume.