PDA

View Full Version : Trail Memories

EO.
06-27-2020, 17:32
What did you do with your thru hike photos and digital journals? I kept a daily journal in my phone. I think I would either like to print the journal entries with photos or have two separate books/products.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Slo-go'en
06-27-2020, 18:45
It will take some editing and formatting, but having it printed out into a book would be a good idea. It's not all that expensive to do. Left on a SD card, who knows what would become of it in 10-20 years.

EO.
06-28-2020, 10:22
It will take some editing and formatting, but having it printed out into a book would be a good idea. It's not all that expensive to do. Left on a SD card, who knows what would become of it in 10-20 years.

Exactly my thoughts. I would like to have "hard copies". Do you have any recommendations for websites/companies? I've used Shutterfly a couple times for photos only. Not sure if it is the best option for either photos or text.

Slo-go'en
06-28-2020, 11:22
Looks like Shutterfly and Snapfish are the two most popular sites.

ScottTrip
06-28-2020, 11:32
I kept a pen and paper journal of my hike in 2014 and made entries everyday on trail such as where I camped, who hiking with, miles covered, weather ect. Also, I made notes in my AWOL Guide with dates of each camping spot and of course photos of the hike. When I returned home I retyped my journal into a MS Word document and then added photos with any notations that I had in my guide. I then converted into a PDF file and have been able to share with my friends the electronic version. But I did create a printed version of my journal and gave it to my mother (she is 82) as a Christmas Present for her to read and keep. I really liked doing the pen and paper journal. When I was retyping I could remember my shaking hand writing in the cold weather, or water logged pages from sweat it brought back memories of the trail. My journal and AWOL Guide are safely stored in my safety deposit box, it is a family keep sake.

DuneElliot
06-29-2020, 01:27
I can recommend Amazon's KDP platform for any kind of book, unless you want the shiny pages for the photos. I have used them for both written fiction books and a table-top photo and short story/poetry book. They are good quality and you can buy as many or as few as you want as they are print on demand. I would recommend them for the written book if you want to do that independently. For image books you might want to check out the above-mentioned sites although I haven't used them