PDA

View Full Version : New to hiking, great new online business helped me out.

snuglebug
03-17-2006, 17:00
I got into doing some day hiking and short over night hikes the past two summers. I decided to invest some money in some new equipment, and get a new backpack, and a water filter as I have only used that nasty iodine stuff from Wal-Mart.

A few weeks ago I met Aaron, I think he goes by 250 on here, he thruhiked the appalachian trail a few years ago and suggested that I check out this site. Anyhow he was most helpful in giving me pointers on what gear to buy and told me about his online store that he just started. Everything that he told me so far was right on the money and I decided to order a granite gear backpack from his website hikersupply.com. The site is not the greatest, still need some work, but the person behind it was the absolute best.

I got my backpack 2 days after I ordered it. UPS was very fast, it only had to ship from about 45 miles from where I live, but 2 days has to be a record. There are not that many great places to shop for this kind of stuff here in Pittsburgh PA so online makes a great choice.

Now I need to decide about water filters. Hikersupply sells Katadyn filters, and that UV light thing which I know nothing about. Anyhone here have a suggestion??

Anyhow just wanted to let everyone here know that I was 110% satisfied with my hikersupply.com purchase.

Snuglebug..

MOWGLI
03-17-2006, 17:14
:welcome I own the Katadyn Hiker. It has served me well. Others will recommend other filters. What's your budget?

bailcor
03-17-2006, 18:02
Why do you need a filter?

brancher
04-24-2006, 21:06
I got into doing some day hiking and short over night hikes the past two summers. I decided to invest some money in some new equipment, and get a new backpack, and a water filter as I have only used that nasty iodine stuff from Wal-Mart.

A few weeks ago I met Aaron, I think he goes by 250 on here, he thruhiked the appalachian trail a few years ago and suggested that I check out this site. Anyhow he was most helpful in giving me pointers on what gear to buy and told me about his online store that he just started. Everything that he told me so far was right on the money and I decided to order a granite gear backpack from his website hikersupply.com. The site is not the greatest, still need some work, but the person behind it was the absolute best.

I got my backpack 2 days after I ordered it. UPS was very fast, it only had to ship from about 45 miles from where I live, but 2 days has to be a record. There are not that many great places to shop for this kind of stuff here in Pittsburgh PA so online makes a great choice.

Now I need to decide about water filters. Hikersupply sells Katadyn filters, and that UV light thing which I know nothing about. Anyhone here have a suggestion??

Anyhow just wanted to let everyone here know that I was 110% satisfied with my hikersupply.com purchase.

Snuglebug..

I used a Katahdin Guide for (well, forever....), and tried an MSR ceramic a few times. Frankly, for useability, weight, etc, you really can't beat Aquamira and maybe a bandanna. I do not think Aquamire makes water taste bad, and I do not think the mixing is black magic. It is good stuff. That's what I use now, and I don't see myself going back to any filter.

In fact, I've kind of put those big and heavy filters in my "Coffee Press for Backpackers" category - stuff you simply don't need. Like heavy knives. And extra large towels. and full mess kits. and 7-lb. tents. and....(ohboy, guess I'm gonna get creamed by all the filter groupies now....).

DLANOIE
05-01-2006, 19:24
I use a filter every time I take water from a stream or pond. I use the Amigo filter from ULA. Its the gravity fed type which you hang from a tree or whatever. It filters 1.5 liters a minute(no joke). And with the stuff sack weighs 9 oz.. Worth the weight for me, but aquamira and a bandana would suffice too! forty bucks!! Check it out at ula-equipment.com:)