love this pack. Simple, light (13 oz!) has some neat
features like hip belt pockets.

I like how this pack loads like a zipped up duffle bag
, then you can turn it up like a pack. Think will make
my gear management easy.

With this pack, I eliminated my water bottle holster
and a fanny pack. I also finally switched to a generic
blue foam pad (cut down) that weighs six ounces. Not
sure WHY I have not done this years before. Ah well.
Down to 8# 10 oz. Less weight in my pack means I can
carry the essentials (wine, Snickers, more wine,
beer..etc.).

I hope to get many useful miles out of it on the CDT.
I don't know what Ron's inventory is like, but if you
want a light pack for your light load, this pack seems
to be a winner.

For you amusement, I wrote a "colorful gear review". I
don't take myself seriously, but I did write some
mildly useful/amusing gear reviews of stuff I use for
backpacking. Figured if I was going to post one
review, why not go all the way. ;)
http://snipurl.com/nr00

hikerjohnd
03-17-2006, 20:33
I bought mine during the initial roll out - so I think I got a pretty good deal at about $100 with shipping. It really is light and as I trim down my load, I was surprised to see how it all fit inside. My sleeping bag still takes up too much room - maybe a differently shaped stuff sack will correct that - but this bag is a load monster for an UL bag. I have filled it with raingear, 2 man tent, water bladder, water filter, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, misc kit (headlight, firstaid kit, repair items) and a few other odds and ends - total weight 10.2 lbs. I still haven't put anything in the top pocket - I figure food will ride there, but I just can not believe the room this small pack offers! The pack is supposed to hold 30 lbs - 4-6 lbs of that will be H2O and another 1-3 lbs will be clothes (depending on season) so that leaves about 10lbs free for food.

I have not had time to take it out yet, but I am really looking forward to my first trip with it!

tlbj6142
03-18-2006, 21:14
I've read a few reports about the buckles on the "storm flap" popping from time-to-time. Let us know if you have the same issue.

A-Train
03-23-2006, 21:46
I'm really curious to hear feedback on this pack and see it in action of the PCT. It caught my eye with the weight and price originally, plus I like Ron Moaks Tarptent a lot. BUT i just wasn't a believer that a 13 oz pack can manage a 30 lb load comfortably. I've used other lightweight packs and was kinda tired of crossing my fingers when it came to load management. I decdied on the ULA Catalyst for the PCT for the extra comfort with water, resupply, ice axe etc. I am very intrigued by the Essence though. Hope it works for you guys

Clark Fork
03-25-2006, 03:05
The pack comes without a sternum strap. Apparently some have asked about it and I thought I saw on a previous post that Ron was working on making some. I could not find anything on the website so e-mailed Ron. I received this message today.

Here is the info on the sternum strap if you are so inclined:

"Yea, I've made up some straps. I just haven't gotten around to adding them to the website. Send me a check for $5 and I'll send you a strap.
Thanks,
Ron Moak
Six Moon Designs
16228 SW Ellerson
Beaverton, OR 97007"

What a great supplier....

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana

Two Speed
06-22-2006, 19:23
Further comments, tips or tricks for the SMD Essence? If things work out I should receive a used Essence in the next day or two* and I'm curious how this pack's been working out for other folks.

*Thanks, MandoCat.

The Solemates
06-23-2006, 10:32
Further comments, tips or tricks for the SMD Essence? If things work out I should receive a used Essence in the next day or two* and I'm curious how this pack's been working out for other folks.

*Thanks, MandoCat.

please post your thoughts once you use it. i too like the look and feel of the essence.

flyfisher
06-23-2006, 11:26
I have used it for a hundred miles of the AT thus far. Very nice pack. Very, very nice pack.

I am in the middle of reviewing it for BackpackGearTest. My initial report is up now and the field report will be up this weekend.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Backpacks%20and%20Day%20Packs/Six%20Moon%20Designs%20Essence%20Pack/Rick%20Allnutt/

Risk

Two Speed
06-23-2006, 12:00
I have used it for a hundred miles of the AT thus far. Very nice pack. Very, very nice pack . . . Yup, saw that, and the other two initial reports, have made the plunge, but was looking for tricks & tips at this point. I will take the "very, very nice pack" as a good sign, though. Looking forward to reading your report, and thanks for taking the time and effort to put that together.

Footslogger
06-23-2006, 12:11
[quote=Two Speed]Further comments, tips or tricks for the SMD Essence? If things work out I should receive a used Essence in the next day or two* and I'm curious how this pack's been working out for other folks.

============================

Yeah ...me too. Trying to squeeze the last miles out of my GG Vapor Trail and then looking to replace it with the Essence or something like it.

'Slogger

tlbj6142
06-23-2006, 12:41
The buckles look awfully fragile/thin (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Backpacks%20and%20Day%20Packs/Six%20Moon%20Designs%20Essence%20Pack/Andre%20Corterier/Initial%20Report/). Wonder how they hold up if the pack is full?

Two Speed
06-23-2006, 13:05
The buckles look awfully fragile/thin (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Backpacks%20and%20Day%20Packs/Six%20Moon%20Designs%20Essence%20Pack/Andre%20Corterier/Initial%20Report/). Wonder how they hold up if the pack is full?Yup, saw that, but Mags seems to have logged a day or two on the trail, and I doubt he'd take a total piece of crap on the CDT so evidently there's a way to deal with that, which may be one of the tricks I'm going to need to know.

In the similar vein, I picked up a SMD Lunar about a year ago. Took a little longer to figure out than the SD Lightyear it replaced, but after I figured out what Ron Moak had in mind when he developed the Lunar and how it was intended to be pitched I found it to be an extremely good solo shelter. Somewhat of a learning curve, but well worth the trouble. I'm anticipating a similar learning curve with the Essence and was hoping for a little help on that.

At the very worst the Essence has got to be closer to what I'm looking for than the Advent Pro that I returned to REI.

Mags
06-23-2006, 14:00
Yup, saw that, but Mags seems to have logged a day or two on the trail, and I doubt he'd take a total piece of crap on the CDT so evidently there's a way to deal with that, which may be one of the tricks I'm going to need to know.

The buckles are indeed thin..BUT I pack light. Plus though they are thin, they don't see esp. fragile.

That's the biggest caveat of this pack. It is not meant for 'overstuffing'. I carried it on a mellow shake down backpacking trip (and a few day hikes). The bping trip, I carried the equivallent of five days of food. It was bulging but it held.

To quote from the referenced review:

"Yet - it may well be that proper packing (and intelligent choice of what to bring and what to leave at home) may overcome every one of these. If so, adding or enlarging the features which came to my mind would be wasted weight. It clearly is a pack designed for those who set a premium on carrying little weight."

I am at sub-10lbs for my BPW.

Having said all that...we'll find out if I really know what I am talking about! :D

Full report in 4 mos!

Footslogger
06-23-2006, 14:05
[quote=Mags]That's the biggest caveat of this pack. It is not meant for 'overstuffing'. I carried it on a mellow shake down backpacking trip (and a few day hikes). The bping trip, I carried the equivallent of five days of food. It was bulging but it held.
============================================
Extended re-supply intervals with larger than normal food loads is what I'm curious about at this point in terms of the Essence. Gear and clothing is not an issue for me.

'Slogger

The Solemates
06-23-2006, 14:18
[quote=Mags]That's the biggest caveat of this pack. It is not meant for 'overstuffing'. I carried it on a mellow shake down backpacking trip (and a few day hikes). The bping trip, I carried the equivallent of five days of food. It was bulging but it held.
============================================
Extended re-supply intervals with larger than normal food loads is what I'm curious about at this point in terms of the Essence. Gear and clothing is not an issue for me.

'Slogger

Ditto, as this would be a summer pack only for me.

Mags
06-23-2006, 14:37
[quote=Footslogger]

Ditto, as this would be a summer pack only for me.

For better or worse, I plan on doing 25-30 MPD, so the interval between resupplies is less for me.

Again, we'll see. I may be eating crow this season. :D

Two Speed
06-23-2006, 14:53
. .. It is not meant for 'overstuffing' . . .So I take it that one of the primary "tricks" is to minimize the amount and volume of gear carried?

I noticed that you mentioned the SMD Gatewood shelter on your site. Do you think a Lunar is suitable for use with this rig? I can drop back to an ID silnyon poncho and a Equinox sil bivy bag, but I wasn't quite ready for that particular revision to my camping technique.

BTW, good luck on your upcoming CDT trip.

flyfisher
06-23-2006, 15:16
Yup, saw that, and the other two initial reports, have made the plunge, but was looking for tricks & tips at this point.

Here are a couple observations...

First, I used the pack as designed with a load that varied from about 15 to 18 pounds. (A warm week in PA with a couple days of food at a time)

I had not used a pack with an opening on the front instead of the top before. I had to get used to it.

I looked at the small size of the clips on the front cover and wondered if the clips would be strong enough. With all five of the clips, they have a lot of strength as a group. I have never had one of the clips come loose. Yet, Ron wrote to say that he has a slightly stronger clip that he may be using in future packs.

I found that a 2 Liter Platypus works well in the full length pocket on my left side of the pack. It works better there than in one of the half length mesh pockets on my right side.

I have a 20 x 36 inch piece of WalMart pad that I carry as extra insulation and which gives me the ability to sleep on the ground if I need to... I folded that twice and cinched it down into the straps on the inside back of the pack. Then I put a waterproof silnylon bag into the pack.

Inside the waterproof bag, I packed the beast with my food at the bottom of the pack, along with the hammock tarp. I put my quilt and hammock in the top of the pack. Then I put my Stove/Pot combo, my ditty bag of toiletries, and my clothes bag in the middle between the other bigger bags. Then I cinch up the opening and clip down the flap. I put my foldable bucket wrapped around a camera, light, book, and fire starter in the top flap compartment. Just before zipping that shut I put a cup and rain gear in the comparment.

Hope this helps.

Two Speed
06-23-2006, 15:21
Good stuff, Risk, thanks

Mags
06-23-2006, 15:40
So I take it that one of the primary "tricks" is to minimize the amount and volume of gear carried?

Absolutely! It is meant (I think) for people more towards the ultralite part of LWBping.

I noticed that you mentioned the SMD Gatewood shelter on your site. Do you think a Lunar is suitable for use with this rig?

I have not used the lunar, but it looks like it packs small and it weighs on 23oz. I did see it up close at the ADZPCTKOP and it looked like it would be OK. But again, can't say from personal experience.

(3 more hours until I am done!)

Two Speed
06-23-2006, 16:10
Thanks, Mags. Good luck and Happy Trails! :banana

Two Speed
07-02-2006, 09:35
Not going to be able to add a great deal to this thread for a while; don't care for the bugs and whatnot down here during the summer, more of a winter hiker and won't be getting out for many backpacking trips until the weather cools off. However I have received my used Essence and have spent a little time fooling around, looking at it, trying a few loading schemes, daydreaming, etc.

My Lunar the slips into the large mesh pocket easily. The belt pockets aren't as large as the ones I saw on the ULA packs but are certainly large enough for my purposes and are far better than the belt pockets on a Gregory Advent Pro that I tried out. No problems with getting a digital camera in and out and sufficient room for other assorted gear. Getting a 1 liter water bottle out of the smaller side mesh pocket is no problem. Even better, I'm not finding any problem doing that with the pack on.

The internal straps for locking my sleeping pad in place appear to work well. I am currently using a Prolite 3, and will have to see how that works out on the trail. I am considering replacing the Prolite with a closed cell pad in order to get my base weight more in line with Ron's recommendations for tthis pack.

In the same vein my Trangia may have to go as well. I don't view the 7 - 9 ounces for a Westwind as excessive, but as I understand it this pack rewards the gram weenies and punishes those who choose to ignore Ron's recommendations.

The workmanship looks good, if not great. Materials are lightweight, as I expected. So far the Essence strikes me as being as well designed and built, much like the Lunar, which I view as a huge plus.

Short version: so far everything looks very good and I'm looking forward to trying it out on the trail. (Also looking forward to more reports from Mags & Risk.)

hikerjohnd
08-10-2006, 22:47
OK - I had my Essence Pack out for its first trip and man I like the weight savings, but I have some real issues. First of all, it went a total of 9 miles (Hog Pen Gap to Neels Gap and then the Springer parking lot to the peak and back) and I am pretty glad I was having problems because I did not know if the pack would make it.

Well - here goes - The total weight carried was at the max 24 pounds with all my gear and food. As the first day progressed, the pack kept falling down my back, putting an extra strain on my shoulders. Try as I might, I could not get it to say up on my back without tying a bandanna across my chest as a sternum strap. Once I did that, the pack stayed in place just fine. So my first thing to add for my next trip will be a sternum strap. The next problem I discovered was that my gear was slowly falling out of my pack. Lucky for me, I used a tight fitting rain cover that caught any gear trying to go over the wall. At first I thought I just did not cinch the closing tight, but as the day progressed, I discovered that it was indeed the barrel clip that was slipping and the pack was falling open. This was brought home when I caught my water bladder as it spilled from my pack. Now, before you think I was over loaded, my sleeping pad, the water bladder and a bottle of sunscreen was all I was carrying – well under the 10# base weight recommendation. I suppose I will have to find some way to better secure the pack opening for future use. Any suggestions?

With the addition of a sternum strap and a better way to secure the main pack opening this little pack will become my summer pack of choice. I feel I could have loaded it down with the max 30 pounds and still been OK for a longer hike.

MedicineMan
08-10-2006, 23:32
no failures and deem this an excellent pack in terms of design..if you are a LWbackpacker then you should def. consider it...the panel loading feature is its greatest feature after the weight....the little clips do work well in unison as pointed out above...the top pocket is a nice feature and i used it for my wet or nasty stuff....
my only complaint is that it is hard to get into the hip belt pockets while hiking but they do hold the things i want there--camera/snacks, monocular, lip balm, sunscreen...

I wanted to test this pack--just for me--for an internal i think it is worth the money. I chose it over a Gregory, but i'm going back to the LLP for the next several section hikes until something else catches my eye, i just like external packs more and external is worth the ounces penalty (assuming i use the cordura cylinders, not so much if i use the x-ply cylinders)....

A word on the weight. at 22pounds the Essence is comfortable...with six liters of water leaving the cumberland valley headed toward Duncannon it was not, so 30pounds and above i would not recommend for this pack....24-28 i think would be iffy....if you can keep 18 and below it is a non issue.