PDA

View Full Version : Fall Northern PA resupply and lodging

flemdawg1
07-08-2020, 11:57
In Mid Sept a friend and I will be hiking 2weeks from Duncannon to DWG. Resupply looks to in Hamburg (Microtel), Palmerton (Bert's hostel), and Wind Gap (Gateway Motel?). Looks like most of the old hostels are gone in this section (Palmerton Jail, Rock n Sole). Am I missing any places I should be stopping at? Getting to any of these places looks to be a PITA.

Slo-go'en
07-08-2020, 13:23
Avoid Wind Gap if you can. The Gateway motel has negative star ratings. It's a bit of a walk to get to the grocery store. It's only a day or two from the DWG anyway, so shouldn't need to stop there anyway.

Bert's in Palmerton is a great. The lady who owns the place is really nice and stepped up to help hikers when the town shut down the jail. Take the blue blaze trail at the bottom of the cliff to get into town. Bert's will shuttle you back in the morning.

Hamburg is a must, call Cabela's and they will shuttle you. The Microtel is basically across the street. Port Clinton has nothing but a candy store.

Lickdale and Pine Grove are pretty big detours. You can walk to Lickdale on a rail trail, but it's 3.5 miles to the interstate intersection with the motels and fast food. No grocery stores.

flemdawg1
07-08-2020, 13:36
Anyone tried Countryside Deluxe AirB&B in Danielsville (instead of Palmerton)?

flemdawg1
07-08-2020, 14:10
Shartlesville Motel6?

HankIV
07-08-2020, 15:37
I found the Port Clinton Hotel to be a nice stop. Plain old rooms with a shared bath, but clean. Nice bar and restaurant, although no breakfast. Tough menu for vegetarians, but every kind of Yeungling. Friendly. coin wash in the basement. Right on the trail, so no need for shuttle. Definitely don't walk to Hamburg, bridge is scary to walk.

There were some nicer places to eat in Hamburg. I did not find the Cabelas very compelling unless you are hunter or fisherman. YMMV

Slo-go'en
07-08-2020, 15:55
I made a token purchase at Cabela's just because they were kind enough to give me a free ride. It's an interesting store to wander around in for a while. You can walk most of the way to the Walmart plaza on a rail trail, but the last 1/4 mile is on the highway and pretty dangerous. I did that once.

ChrisMek
07-09-2020, 08:42
I did my section hike last year from DWG and ended in Port Clinton. I found the Port Clinton Hotel to be a great spot to eat a burger and drink beer. The peanut shop across the street is another great stop for some treats. I didn't stay at the hotel, I camped by the pavilion down the road. If you rather go to Hamburg, there are plenty of helpful people that would shuttle you, for a fee I'm sure.