PDA

View Full Version : Overkill obsession possibly a mental illness.

SGTdirtman
03-17-2006, 23:14
I have a series of hiking trips coming up thru PA, NJ, and NY so I'm going over my gear and buying new stuff... Trying to learn from previous years mistakes and go a little lighter, Everytime I hike I carry a ton of stuff I dont need and have never used. But I always have this "just in case" mentality. I always go out like its a military operation and I need to be able to perform any task in the middle of no where so I lug tons of gear into the woods but in reality at any given time I'm no more than 5 miles from a road...

I also hike with friends sometimes and no matter what, or how much I trust them I always HAVE to pack extra supplies for them just in case. even If I know they have everything they need I'm bringing double just in case.

I think I have a serious mental problem. I stare at gear I know I dont need but cant take it out of my pack. It must be there and I dont know why! WHY AM I CARRYING THIS CRAP! ITS POINTLESS! AHHHH!

No Belay
03-17-2006, 23:19
Sarge, It's called PARANOID. You should be able to find it in the !st or 2nd chapter of any book on human psychology.

lobster
03-17-2006, 23:30
I totally agree with you Sarge.

fiddlehead
03-17-2006, 23:30
one of the 1st things i learned on the AT (around the end of my 1st week of hiking) was:
take everything out of your pack,
put everything you used today on one pile,
everything you think you'll need but didn't on pile 2 and,
everything you think you can do without on pile 3.
Then send piles 2 and 3 home.
try it, it works!

Almost There
03-17-2006, 23:41
Agree with Fiddlehead...I have cut my pack weight more than in half since my first section last year. Worried about food??? You almost can always get to a road within two days...You aren't gonna starve in two days. As long as I have a shelter and a good sleeping bag I can always wait out the weather. Just be smart...I bet you have your stuff down Sarge!

neo
03-18-2006, 00:12
:D http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10085&c=665&userid=3462

:D
http://www.hennessyhammock.com/

:cool: neo

Just Jeff
03-18-2006, 02:33
...Then send piles 2 and 3 home...

Excellent advice. Except the emergency essentials, obviously - but I was amazed when I actually made piles of what I didn't use, and as soon as I convinced myself that I didn't need all that stuff my pack basically started carrying itself!

hikerjohnd
03-18-2006, 08:48
one of the 1st things i learned on the AT (around the end of my 1st week of hiking) was:
take everything out of your pack,
try it, it works!

This method worked for me too. It only takes one trip with a very lightweight pack to convert you. My first trip I 'had to have' way too much stuff 'just in case'. My pack weighed at least 50 lbs and I carried a white gas lantern! I was proud when I got my base down to 28 lbs. Now, my base is 10.2 lbs and I still can't figure out what I left behind!

Local
03-18-2006, 09:11
The lightest I've ever gone was on a 72-kilometer hike across the Sinai Desert in Egypt. Two of us borrowed ideas from the local Bedouin. Aside from water (lots of it), I carried a sheet and a bag of figs, maybe two pounds of weight aside from the water. Camping consisted of stopping, lying, down, wrapping a sheet around me, and hoping the scorpions were not paying attention.

hawkeye
03-18-2006, 10:04
Your not a Crew Chief on a Huey....pack light

orangebug
03-18-2006, 12:20
Regarding the mental health aspects of this thread. I would not call this paranoia. Rather it sounds more like hoarding, a symptom of OCD. This is common among hikers, who maintain a hiking closet of gear that they have discarded and never will use, extra alcohol stoves from prior experiments, a variety of shells and warm pants, multiple backpacks, extra food and utensils of a variety of metals and plastic - just to count off a few of the symptoms I exhibit.

Even if you get past the OCD hoarding of Important Gear That Will Be Needed For That Special Trip, the gram counting will stop you in your tracks.

Just Jeff
03-18-2006, 12:38
I call that planning. Someday I may be called upon to outfit an entire troop of Boy Scouts, or maybe Green Berets. I need that stuff in my closet!

SGTdirtman
03-18-2006, 12:43
I removed the roll of camo netting from my pack today... Its as far as I'm willing to go right now.

Trail Dog
03-18-2006, 14:57
I removed the roll of camo netting from my pack today...

dont forget the gilly suit, shelter half, seven days worth of MRE's, extra boots, twenty pairs of socks, poncho, poncho liner, gortex top/bottom, poly pro top/bottom and all those extra brown spoons.

keep the ranger handbook though

no but really i started my first trip on the AT at 70 pounds with water, brought it down to 65 pounds then 50 and by the end of my second month i was down to 45. now i rarely hike with over 45 pounds but i tend to have half gallon of water at most times and 8 days of food when i start.

gotta get outta the army mentality. it can really ruin a hike.

SGTdirtman
03-18-2006, 15:12
dont forget the gilly suit, shelter half, seven days worth of MRE's, extra boots, twenty pairs of socks, poncho, poncho liner, gortex top/bottom, poly pro top/bottom and all those extra brown spoons.

keep the ranger handbook though

no but really i started my first trip on the AT at 70 pounds with water, brought it down to 65 pounds then 50 and by the end of my second month i was down to 45. now i rarely hike with over 45 pounds but i tend to have half gallon of water at most times and 8 days of food when i start.

gotta get outta the army mentality. it can really ruin a hike.

As odd as it seems I really dont carry much as far as personel comfort items... No extra clothes, No cooking equiptment... Its my "Oh s**t gear" that causes all the weight.

I've gotten better the past 2 years, I bought a better lighter bivy, I bought a better sleeping bag, I finally stopped carrying my E-tool... I've lightened my gear by about 5-10 pounds the past 2 years but its still way overweight by comparison to most hikers.

Trail Dog
03-18-2006, 15:21
make a gear list and post it for a review in the gear section. Better yet email it to sgt Rock, he knows his stuff and will understand where your comming from.

Its the military/boyscout be prepared thing that got you weighed down.

I use to carry a star cluster "just in case", and a first aid kit that made my medics bag look like a day pack. hmmm might need this 6 foot long Spine Board... never know when a patient will need to be stablized.

your more likely to break an ankle with all that extra weight than save a life.

Just Jeff
03-18-2006, 15:21
Why don't you post a list for us to rip apart? :D

Trail Dog
03-18-2006, 15:24
Why don't you post a list for us to rip apart? :D

lol the vultures are beginning to circle

CAW!!! CAW!!!!

SGTdirtman
03-18-2006, 15:35
100 feet of 550 paracord
2 1 quart canteens w/covers
canteen cup
c-cell flashlight
lenstatic compass w/ cover
m16 ammo pouch w/ (full first aid kit)
5 12 hour chem lights
2 oz of bug cream
m16 ammo pouch w/ (matches, duck tape, pins, fishing gear, razors, etc etc)
water purication tabs
poly pro long underware
Poly pro long sleeve undershirt
wool socks
wool watch cap
jungle boonie hat
bandana
24X24 peice of no-see-um mesh
leather gloves
military poncho
15 degree kelty sleeping bag
eureka solo tent
10 MRE entrees
6 packs of tuna
5 snack bars
2 bags of nuts
3 maps
cell phone
Digital camera w/extra battery
Ka-bar knife
Benchmade automatic knife
4x4 peice of camo netting
about 5 feet of tin foil
toilet paper and soap
750ml bottle of jim beam
night vision scope
6 esbit fuel tabs
5 tins of skoal mint
whistle
2 15 minute marine flares
and my pack is a modified medium ALICE (shut up I like it)

yea... see what I mean? that list aint right... aint right at all...

The General
03-18-2006, 15:54
Being a former military man myself I see where you are coming from with the I might need it concept. But soldier you have some serious issues with this list. your right it aint right, it aint right at all.

This gear list is for operations in a hostile enviroment, small children have thru hiked with far less. sort it out soldier.

Just Jeff
03-18-2006, 16:11
HAHAHA!! Your pack could anchor a ship!! (J/k - all in fun)

Holy crap where to begin...

- 100 feet of 550 paracord - have you ever used this much on a solo hike? Aside from tie-outs, I bring about 10' of paracord and a 20-30' length of bearbag rope. Leave behind at least 50' and you'll save quite a bit.

- 2 1 quart canteens w/covers - Why? Just use two soda bottles. No need for covers. If you want more capacity, grab a 32oz gatorade bottle, or a 2L soda bottle, or better yet a soft-sided Nalgene cantene.

- canteen cup - Probably lighter options for cookpots of that capacity

- c-cell flashlight - ***? Get an LED headlamp, or at least a min-mag. Is the flashlight metal?!

- lenstatic compass w/ cover - you probably have the skills to use a very small, light compass w/ no cover. They cost like $10 with a rotating bezel - you just don't get the little wire for shooting an azimuth. But how often do you actually need to be within that level of accuracy that you can't just estimate w/o the wire.

- m16 ammo pouch w/ (full first aid kit) - Trade the pouch for a ziplock. How much does the first aid gear in the kit weigh?

- 5 12 hour chem lights - If you have a headlamp you won't need these. Maybe one as a backup.

- m16 ammo pouch w/ (matches, duck tape, pins, fishing gear, razors, etc etc) - again, use a ziplock or silnylon. Do you really need something as sturdy as an ammo pouch? How much tape (10' is probably enough), how much fishing gear, do you actually use the razors (what kind are they)?

- 24X24 peice of no-see-um mesh - What is this for?

- leather gloves - Why?

- military poncho - Use a little more care and get a silnylon one. I haven't weighed my military ponchos, but I bet that'll save you over a pound.

- 15 degree kelty sleeping bag, eureka solo tent - lighter options here but they cost money. May or may not be worth it to you.

- 10 MRE entrees - This adds quite a bit of weight. Maybe cut it down to 5 entrees and supplement with dried foods...Liptons and such?

- 6 packs of tuna - I was surprised at how much these added compared to what they offered. Pretty light on calories, and you're not likely to need the protein boost on anything less than a week. I decided to take a tuna pack for every 3 days, and mix it in a Lipton or mac and cheese. Works for me.

- Digital camera w/extra battery - may be a lighter version, but again this costs money. Do you use the heavy case that probably came with it? You might save an ounce with a lighter case...might even find something around the house to use so it doesn't cost anything.

- Ka-bar knife - depending on where you hike, you can probably do without this. What's it weigh, a pound? Most trails are within a day or two of a road, and with 3 maps you can surely find one! :p

- 4x4 peice of camo netting - who you hiding from on the trail? Isn't this redundant with the no-see-um, except it doesn't stop no-see-ums?

- 750ml bottle of jim beam - ok...a man's gotta have his vices

- night vision scope - um...preparing for a squirrel invasion? Raccoons?

- 5 tins of skoal mint - Five? If you use that much, I guess it's worth it to you.

- 2 15 minute marine flares - Hrm...never heard of a hiker with these. Guess they'll come in handy when those squirrels attack. Be sure to turn off your NV scope, though!

- and my pack is a modified medium ALICE (shut up I like it) - Shutting up about the easiest 5 pounds you can drop. :D

- yea... see what I mean? that list aint right... aint right at all...

Yeah, but admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. :rolleyes:

But seriously, as long as you have fun in the woods it doesn't matter what your pack weighs. I just find that a lighter pack lets me have more fun.

rumbler
03-18-2006, 16:15
Some suggestions:

100 feet of 550 paracord
Cut it to 50 feet.
Lose it for empty gatoraide bottles and a 2 quart platypus
canteen cup Lose it - see gatoraide bottles
c-cell flashlight Lose it for a lightwqeight headlamp
lenstatic compass w/ cover Lose it, at least on the AT
m16 ammo pouch w/ (full first aid kit) Lose it. Duct tape and hand sanitizer
5 12 hour chem lights Lose them. Your headlamp has an emergency flash setting
2 oz of bug cream Fine
Fishing gear? Razors? Lighter, duct tape, a needle and dental floss. Period.
water purication tabs fine
poly pro long underware
wool socks
wool watch cap
jungle boonie hat
bandana
24X24 peice of no-see-um mesh In addition to the bug spray?
leather gloves Huh? Leather gloves? Carry lightweight ski gloves if it's cold enough to need them
military poncho
eureka solo tent
10 MRE entrees There are far lighter and better tasting meals available
6 packs of tuna
5 snack bars
2 bags of nuts
3 maps Mail maps forward, no need to carry what you won't be using for awhile.
cell phone Won't tell you not to, but really do you need a cell phone?
Ka-bar knife Trade it in for a lightweight 3" blade. It's all you will need
Benchmade automatic knife See above
4x4 peice of camo nettingLose it. You already have a tent, a poncho and bug spray
about 5 feet of tin foilFive FEET of tin foil? Wow. I would tell you to toss it but I cannot even fathom what you may be planning to do with it.
toilet paper and soap
750ml bottle of jim beam I would suggest trading it in for Maker's Mark, but to each his own. Not sure you have to carry the whole bottle though. And if you decide to carry Beam you can ditch the hand sanitizer and use the whiskey instead
night vision scope You will spend your nights sleeping. Ditch it
6 esbit fuel tabs Now that you have dumped the MRE's, start cooking with a pepsi can stove
5 tins of skoal mintLose it. A disusting habit
whistle
2 15 minute marine flares Put them in the trash with the chem lights

Just Jeff
03-18-2006, 16:18
foilFive FEET of tin foil? Wow. I would tell you to toss it but I cannot even fathom what you may be planning to do with it.

Haha - yeah, I wasn't sure what to say about that one, either.

SGTdirtman
03-18-2006, 16:22
Haha - yeah, I wasn't sure what to say about that one, either.

yea about the tin foil... I use that to cook the fish I catch with the fishing gear...

Just Jeff
03-18-2006, 16:26
Ah - Not to many people fish the AT, but that makes sense if it's your hiking style. Like I said, having fun is more important than pack weight!

kyerger
03-18-2006, 16:40
I can see where you are coming from dirtman. I am planning a flip-flop starting from SNP in June! I have a whole room in my house filled with s s the way istuff. This is the way I'm going to handle it my wife will have a max. load of 20 lbs and me a max of 30 lbs. I will have to make some tough desions and annd that stuff. But I guess thats backpacking. I can't wait to start the trail on Juune 4! But remenber a bad day on the trail is batter then a good day at work. See you all in the shanties!!!!! Only 2 months and 16 days till I start the trip of a life time!

weary
03-18-2006, 17:04
100 feet of 550 paracord
canteen cup
c-cell flashlight
lenstatic compass w/ cover
m16 ammo pouch w/ (full first aid kit)
5 12 hour chem lights
2 oz of bug cream
water purication tabs
poly pro long underware
wool socks
wool watch cap
jungle boonie hat
bandana
24X24 peice of no-see-um mesh
leather gloves
military poncho
eureka solo tent
10 MRE entrees
6 packs of tuna
5 snack bars
2 bags of nuts
3 maps
cell phone
Ka-bar knife
Benchmade automatic knife
4x4 peice of camo netting
about 5 feet of tin foil
toilet paper and soap
750ml bottle of jim beam
night vision scope
6 esbit fuel tabs
5 tins of skoal mint
whistle
2 15 minute marine flares
Now tell us your secret for getting by with so little!!!

No Belay
03-18-2006, 17:35
Damn Sarge, I don't know how business savy you are, but if you can carry all that you need to buy an orange hat, paint U-HAUL on your ass and go into business. What were you in the Army? A duce and half.:-?

SGTdirtman
03-18-2006, 18:34
And you guys probably thought I was kidding...

you understand why other hikers look at me funny now?

Old Spice
03-18-2006, 19:54
This method worked for me too. It only takes one trip with a very lightweight pack to convert you. My first trip I 'had to have' way too much stuff 'just in case'. My pack weighed at least 50 lbs and I carried a white gas lantern! I was proud when I got my base down to 28 lbs. Now, my base is 10.2 lbs and I still can't figure out what I left behind!

Amen, and amen.

Sandy B
03-18-2006, 20:40
Sarg,
I also have some mental illness about packing. I call "last minute syndrome" where I keep wanting to add some 'light wtg' thing or two into my pack, with the 'I could use that' mentality.
Case in point, My last Med cruse, I packed into two bags and left one at home. I still had more than enough. (Navy talk)
If that is not enough to change your mind - there is always the USMC RECON saying "100lbs of light weight s**t, still weights 100 pounds"
Keep working at it, and if you want to reduce weight, it will happen.
Sandy

Roland
03-19-2006, 06:32
~~~I think I have a serious mental problem. I stare at gear I know I dont need but cant take it out of my pack. ~~~
SGTdirtman,

There is an easy and natural cure to your mental illness. It's called "aging".

Rather than agonize about your condition, revel in the joy that you can hump a 65 lb pack all day long. There will come a time when your body will force you to pack differently.

You know what you need to do to lighten your pack. When it becomes a priority, you will do it.

Trail Dog
03-19-2006, 07:53
good lord *** was that?

0k well um ditch the MREs thats a no brainer. SGT Rock gave me a some great advice on MREs and why they are only good for passing out to starving refugees, has somethign to do with weight to calorie ratio, and something else... O' yeah they taste like S&!t. if it has any water in in you shouldnt be carrying it unless its in your water bottle, discover dehydating your own fruits veggies and meats.

and a good rule of thumb is IF ITS GREEN, TAN, OR IN ANYWAY CAMMOed give it back to your supply sgt, throw it out, or put in a box in the deepest closet you have and never touch it again.

the only container other than your backpack and a light weight water proof bag for your clothing should be ziplock bags (see above rule for those damn ammo pouches) and switch to clear wide mouth bottles, gatorade or at least nalgeens.

when THE Mule has to tell you that you are carrying too much you got issues....

Seeker
03-19-2006, 11:20
SGT Dirtman,

yeah. what jeff said... holy crap... i PMed you about a packing list... too bad it wasn't monday already... oh well... you're getting help, regardless...

vipahman
03-19-2006, 13:12
try it, it works!
I think fiddlehead's advice is the best without getting into the details. And then you can tell us about your amazing survival stories without the night vision scope and marine flares. :D

orangebug
03-19-2006, 13:31
I originally offered a bit of professional opinion on the mental health issues this thread exhibits.

Unfortunately, I have learned that we still do not have the words to describe the severe psychopathology that could create such a gear list. Medications are useless.

What is called for is Cognitive Behavioral Psychotherapy. You must do some homework and throw away a quarter of that crap away, today. Next week, we will help you with the next quarter of it, untill you have your weight down to 40 pounds. I don't think we can get you lower until you replace your backpack. You will simply try to fill the void left by the trash.

I just can't imagine your lighting stategy. Leather gloves are as bad as cotten gloves when they get wet. I will be hard at first, but I am sure you can do it. Otherwise, you are going to age rapidly and leave the sport with wrecked knees and ankles.

SGTdirtman
03-19-2006, 13:34
I'm going to turn away from my computer... and slowly walk over to my gear closet, take my pack out and forceably remove 5 pounds.

I'll let you know how it goes.

SGTdirtman
03-19-2006, 14:14
Ok I ditched my night vision...
I took 1 ammo pouch off and used a zip lock bag...
ditched my flares...
cut down to 2 tins of skoal...
whistle gone...
fuel tabs gone...
camo netting gone...
mesh screening gone...
leather gloves gone...
switched to a lighter poncho...
the benchmade knife is gone...
down to 4 chem lights...
got rid of the soap (they call me dirtman for a reason)...

Its a start right?

Roland
03-19-2006, 14:19
The more I read of this thread, the more I think we've been hoodwinked by another troll.

Just Jeff
03-19-2006, 14:27
That's a good start. I'd keep the whistle for emergencies, though...it's one of the ten essentials. If yours is heavy, Walmart has a really light one with a button compass, thermometer and magnifying glass that I keep clipped onto my shoulder strap. It works when wet, too...kind of important for an emergency whistle, IMO. It's like $4, IIRC.

Roland, Dirtman has several posts in other threads that are on-topic and relevant...I don't think he's a troll. And I think most military members here recognize the training his packing list was based on...we're taught to try to think of everything, and carry enough stuff to be prepared for it! (I was gonna say brainwashing, but to be PC I'll keep it at training :) ) He just has a more extreme mindset than most. :p Must have had a good Training Sgt...

Sly
03-19-2006, 14:56
I think it was Wolf 23,000 that started out with a seriously heavy pack and didn't get very far before he did a 180 and went ultralight. There was another in '97, trailname 180 (in regards to his lifestyle), that started with over 100 lbs who sent home his night vision binoculars along with a host of other needless things at Neel's Gap before finally settling in at 30-40lbs.

If SGTdirtman were to hike Georgia, with it's many steep ups and downs, it would probably help him decide on what's best and actually needed.

That said, I've been told Baltimore Jack started this years hike with 64lbs! After all these years, he may know the trail, but he's a stubborn old cuss when it comes to lighter alternatives.

SGTdirtman
03-19-2006, 14:58
The more I read of this thread, the more I think we've been hoodwinked by another troll.

Spend 4 years lugging around equiptment with the mindset that I have to be able to perform any task, anywhere, anytime without support. Prior to having grown up with a family that makes the michigan militia look like the brady bunch. It really is wierd for me to say well I dont need gear for night, I'm gonna get to sleep at night. or not pack a bunch of survival equiptment since I can just walk to a road on any given day.

Add that to the fact I pack for a week without re-supply, not 2-4 days like most hikers. This year I'm also taking a couple newbies out on their first trip so again I'm stuck in the military mindset that I have to carry extra for them. You think my list is bad its nothing what it was 2 years ago, And I see all of your point that after I stop bringing something I really never miss it and wonder why I brought it in the first place.

I'm not trying to go "ultra light" hiking but I need to hone my ability to pack properly and it is pretty hard for me.

Just Jeff
03-19-2006, 17:15
This year I'm also taking a couple newbies out on their first trip so again I'm stuck in the military mindset that I have to carry extra for them.

Assuming these newbies aren't young kids, it would be better for them if you helped them decide what to pack and made them carry their own stuff rather than carrying extra stuff for them. Except for community gear, obviously.

Sly
03-19-2006, 18:13
Assuming these newbies aren't young kids, it would be better for them if you helped them decide what to pack and made them carry their own stuff rather than carrying extra stuff for them. Except for community gear, obviously.

Agreed, and if you're only doing a couple days in NY,NJ and PA it's not like you're going to need all that much gear. The AT in summertime is by no means a wilderness adventure.

You could, if you chose to, outfit yourself anew/used for about $100-150 and carry 20-25 lbs tops and that would include food and water.

hikerjohnd
03-19-2006, 19:28
Damn Sarge, I don't know how business savy you are, but if you can carry all that you need to buy an orange hat, paint U-HAUL on your ass and go into business. What were you in the Army? A duce and half.:-?

Thank you - this made my day!

fiddlehead
03-21-2006, 22:01
WOW, at first glance, i would skip the first 10 items. (although a pepsi bottle to carry your water would suffice for item 2)
Military poncho, MRE's, Flares, whistles, night scopes, etc??? where are you going. The AT is not a battleground.
You will probably be too tired to use any kind of light at night. I only carry a Photon II which weighs in at 1/5 of an ounce! (and rarely use it) Perhaps you are hiking only at night or something???
You just need to go out, see some thru-hikers, talk to them about gear, and redo almost ALL of yours. Hiking tends to be a whole lot more fun when you don't need to think about the weight on your back anymore. Enjoy life, not worry your way thru it.

sliderule
03-22-2006, 23:27
I finally stopped carrying my E-tool.
You never know when things on the trail might get hostile and you will need to "dig in."
Before long you will be leaving your gas mask behind!!!

SGTdirtman
03-23-2006, 01:53
Thank you all who offered advice, and thank you all who offered humor :D

I've switched to a lighter bivy, lighter bag, dumped alot of gear and in the end...

I've taken my pack down to 39.6 pounds fully loaded (this is with 5 days worth of food)

not anything to brag about, BUT SHUT UP! this is as light as im capable of

:banana

longshank
03-23-2006, 03:40
i think this is something that every hiker is struggling with/striving for...Sometimes, when over-zealously trying to shave ounces, we sacrifice or overlook things that are key, while including things that are superfluous. I find that I tend to over-do it in the colder months, while being considerably bolder in the prime season. My summer attitude carried over into my preperation for a week-long january trek accross the NJ Pine Barrens, and our nonchalance almost cost us dearly. It's natural to over-prepare, wise, in fact. One of the steps mcQuest and I are taking to overcome this need for excessive gear is weekly 2-3 day trips to our stomping grounds, the Catskills, where, upon arriving at camp, we attempt to excersise one esential, bare-bones survival technique, such as building our own shelter, or making fire and catching our dinner. If I can be comfortable with skills such as these, my knee-jerk to over-pack wil slowly diminish, I believe. Nothing sucks more than lugging around stuff that never gets used. So far in the last year I have been able to get my weight down signifigantly. It helps to have a partner to hike with that you can share certain things with, like cookware and first aid. Bottom line, though, the more I go out, the less I find I need. I try to shave on my essentials, using the lightest possible containers and such. There is always an once or two you can shave from here and there tha will eventually add up to a pound, which either means 1 pound less, or a pound of a luxury that will lift your spirits. Minimize your needs to maximize available space for treats and comforts. It's those little pleasures that can give you a boost when your hope and morale is waning.

longshank
03-23-2006, 03:51
right now for spring I'm going with:
*osprey atmos 50 (though looking at the vapor trail, atmos shoulder straps are masochistic)
*marmot helium slpng bag
*lite camp sandals
*MSR pocket rocet w/titanium kettle
*MSR MIOX water purifier
*Black Diamond Lightsabre bivvy
*Montbell breeze UL bag cover
*insulmat sl 3 season long pad
*40 ft. of nylon cord
*fry pan
*cup
*spoon
*vitamin-type stuff
*petzl headlamp
*tooth paste+travel brush
*Gerber nautilus multi tool

longshank
03-23-2006, 03:52
And the bivvy, of course

sdoownek
03-23-2006, 08:14
Hm. Did anybody hear that sound?

Sounded like a wet splat?
Anbody?

I think it was Jardines head exploding.

sparky2000
03-23-2006, 10:39
I've been eyeing the McD's new coffee cup. Ultralight and the right size to stuff an extra pair of socks (night socks).

orangebug
03-23-2006, 10:49
Getting down to 39 wet pounds sounds like a very good start for SGT dirtman. I suspect that he needs to get comfortable with this before he can take further steps to lighten the load further.

Good start!

Two Speed
03-23-2006, 11:21

I've switched to a lighter bivy, lighter bag, dumped alot of gear and in the end...

I've taken my pack down to 39.6 pounds fully loaded (this is with 5 days worth of food)

:bananaRolling with the punches, keeping a sense of humor and making progress? Doing better than I did for a good 10, 15 years, and I didn't have a training sergeant barking at me; just my own hard head causing me problems.:datz

BTW, I don't believe 39.6 is the best you're capable of, but it ain't all bad for a 5 day load out up in the gray, gloomy north. :p Don't forget that winter loads tend to be heavier than summer loads; more food, clothing and fuel for winter, even down here in the sunny south.

Seeker
03-23-2006, 11:31

:banana

for now...

you done good... my offer of a packing list spreadsheet still stands.

jlb2012
03-23-2006, 11:31
wrt 550 cord - 50 ft is more than enough plus strip the core out of the cord and only use the sheath

2 1L soda bottles for water

lose all the chem sticks and use a couple Photon II LED lights in their place

pair of polypro glove liners replace the leather gloves - add fleece mittons if expecting freezing weather

seriously consider replacing the pack with something lighter - instant multi pound savings

No Belay
03-23-2006, 17:04
Thank you all who offered advice, and thank you all who offered humor :D BUT SHUT UP! this is as light as im capable of:banana

Sarge , welcome to reality. Next step is to take the P-38 off your key chain, give your dog tags to somebody that's going to live longer than you, and most important, quit foldin your underwear.

Seeker
03-23-2006, 18:39
Sarge , welcome to reality. Next step is to take the P-38 off your key chain, give your dog tags to somebody that's going to live longer than you, and most important, quit foldin your underwear.

hey! i've been out of military school for 22 years but still fold it (my daughter tells me i'm sick and need help)... and i still wear my one remaining dogtag on all airline flights...

SGTdirtman
03-23-2006, 18:44

I carry a P-51 not a P-38...

sdoownek
03-24-2006, 00:58
and i still wear my one remaining dogtag on all airline flights...

HEY!
I carry one when I hike!
Hence the trailname.....

No Belay
03-24-2006, 11:09
I carry a P-51 not a P-38...

:-? Yea, missed it by 13. I always was confused about all those M, P,and MFM numbers. The jest was, I carried one on my key chain for 3 years after I got out and never opened anything with it except the side of my thumb. Once I got rid of it I felt one step farther away from my four year mission oriented thinking and one step closer to being a rational logical person. 35 lbs for a 5 day pack is getting into the respectable range after humpin a 95lb LRP pack.

Welcome Home!:D

Two Speed
03-24-2006, 21:25
One other thought that might help: if you don't keep a trail journal, start doing that. Record what works, what doesn't, what you'd do differently the next time out, recipes that hit the spot, etc. A journal won't cause you to loose pack weight in of itself, but it will make the weight you carry more applicable to your hiking style.

Besides that, I think they're great for whiling away an hour or two, thinking about past trips and places.