PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - Hiking from Franconia Notch to Maine Junction. Water and Covid Change

Bobby
07-19-2020, 09:28
Hello All-
I'm going to be hiking from Franconia Notch to where the AT and the LT meet up. I know it's been very dry and water may not be running as it has in the past. Additionally, with Covid restrictions, I'm not sure how it will be walking through Hanover and trying to resupply. I tend to avoid shelters as it is, so I'm not too concerned about that part of the hike. I'll be getting a ride up there - dropped off at the trail head, and I'll be picked up at the end point.
So I guess I'm looking for - any practical tips regarding water on this section?
Any practical tips for walking through and resupplying in Hanover?
Any practical tips regarding trail etiquette during these Covid times?

Daybreak
07-19-2020, 10:14
When you walk out of the woods at the edge of Hanover you can see a Coop Food Store http://coopfoodstore.coop/ across a playing field. 100 yards later after turning right onto a road the trail passes in front of it. https://www.google.com/maps/search/Groceries/@43.6982883,-72.2787235,16z This is an excellent resupply.

Daybreak
07-19-2020, 11:11
MA residents may enter and stay in NH without a quarantine as of July 3.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/07/03/new-hampshire-travel-restrictions-quarantine-massachusetts/

Depending on the county, MA residents may be required to quarantine for travel to VT. The map below indicates that Bristol county currently has more than double the maximum number of cases required for quarantine They allow a 7 day at home quarantine option followed by a covid-19 test if traveling by personal vehicle.

ttps://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel (https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel)

Slo-go'en
07-19-2020, 11:44
Bring a mask for going into stores. Many now require it and even if they don't you should. Period.

Water is not a problem. It has rained a lot lately with afternoon thunderstorms. More to come later this week. The trail has gotten insanely busy lately and camping spots are very limited, good luck adding to the problem.

Bobby
07-19-2020, 14:46
When you walk out of the woods at the edge of Hanover you can see a Coop Food Store http://coopfoodstore.coop/ across a playing field. 100 yards later after turning right onto a road the trail passes in front of it. https://www.google.com/maps/search/Groceries/@43.6982883,-72.2787235,16z This is an excellent resupply.

Thanks for this - I was figuring this was the best option - considering the chain supermarket is a bit off the trail and I will not want to use transportation to get there.

Bobby
07-19-2020, 14:55
Bring a mask for going into stores. Many now require it and even if they don't you should. Period.

Water is not a problem. It has rained a lot lately with afternoon thunderstorms. More to come later this week. The trail has gotten insanely busy lately and camping spots are very limited, good luck adding to the problem.

Good to hear about the water situation.

Masks are a non-issue as far as I'm concerned - it's the requirement where I live just like in NH - I don't have an issue with it. It's not even really an inconvenience at this point.

I'm not worried about camping. I've spent a bunch of time on the trail and being in the woods in general. I don't usually camp near water or at shelters, and the trail has away of absorbing people when you think about it in terms of the amount of people per trail mile. When night falls, most people head back to their cars, so although I may see many people on the trail during the day and at shelters, the rest of the trail usually empties out when the lights go out.

peakbagger
07-19-2020, 15:06
Plenty of camping options once you clear Kinsman and Moosilaukee.

Gambit McCrae
07-20-2020, 08:43
Hello All-
I'm going to be hiking from Franconia Notch to where the AT and the LT meet up. I know it's been very dry and water may not be running as it has in the past. Additionally, with Covid restrictions, I'm not sure how it will be walking through Hanover and trying to resupply. I tend to avoid shelters as it is, so I'm not too concerned about that part of the hike. I'll be getting a ride up there - dropped off at the trail head, and I'll be picked up at the end point.
So I guess I'm looking for -
any practical tips regarding water on this section?
Any practical tips for walking through and resupplying in Hanover?
Any practical tips regarding trail etiquette during these Covid times?

I Was up in the Fronconia NORTH to Rangeley 2 weeks ago and water was comin out of everywhere possible along the trail. So I can not speak of Franconia south specifically but I am no longer a person to check water sources prior to a trip, I just go and try to roll with the punches.

Hanover is pricey. But there is a CVS that could be resupplies out of. A gas station in town if one were to need heet, and as well! the Inn at Hanover accepts packages for hikers.
Tips: Grab some Hanover restaurant food.

Cary a mask, follow the CDC guidelines for each state you will be in and set your trip up so that you are not reliant on any trail resources like hostels, huts, shuttles etc. Other then those things you will hear very little to nothing about covid while on trail.

Bobby
07-20-2020, 15:10
I Was up in the Fronconia NORTH to Rangeley 2 weeks ago and water was comin out of everywhere possible along the trail. So I can not speak of Franconia south specifically but I am no longer a person to check water sources prior to a trip, I just go and try to roll with the punches.

Hanover is pricey. But there is a CVS that could be resupplies out of. A gas station in town if one were to need heet, and as well! the Inn at Hanover accepts packages for hikers.
Tips: Grab some Hanover restaurant food.

Cary a mask, follow the CDC guidelines for each state you will be in and set your trip up so that you are not reliant on any trail resources like hostels, huts, shuttles etc. Other then those things you will hear very little to nothing about covid while on trail.

Thanks for the info - I'm glad to hear about the water - I don't know why I got it in my head it might be an issue. I guess I've been reading and hearing about droughts in the Northeast, so I was thinking the stretch after Hanover might be an issue. But summer thunderstorms have hopefully taken care of that.

Is the Hanover Restaurant a place or or are you just suggesting I get a meal at a Hanover restaurant?

If it's the later, any recommendations? I'm not willing to dine inside -so either take out or outdoor seating.

I haven't been on that stretch of the AT (south of and just north of Hanover) in a long time and don't really remember it.

Last time I climbed up Moosilauke was 20 years ago!

Slo-go'en
07-20-2020, 15:25
You walk right by the Hanover Co-Op store. They tend to stock a lot of a gourmet food for the discerning pallet, but if you look on the bottom shelf... They also have take out meals from the deli. `

As for non-designated camping, good luck. The Hanover to Maine Junction is mainly on private land and is designated camping ONLY. Smarts Mountain to Hanover also crosses private land and is pretty swampy. From Moosilauke to Smarts, your almost always going steeply up or down hill through dense forest growth. You will need to stay at shelters or hope there is some tenting near-by. The only one I'm sure about is Smarts and maybe Moose mountain. Velvet Rocks near Hanover has tenting, but you'll likely slide or roll out of your tent.

Gambit McCrae
07-21-2020, 08:06
Thanks for the info - I'm glad to hear about the water - I don't know why I got it in my head it might be an issue. I guess I've been reading and hearing about droughts in the Northeast, so I was thinking the stretch after Hanover might be an issue. But summer thunderstorms have hopefully taken care of that.

Is the Hanover Restaurant a place or or are you just suggesting I get a meal at a Hanover restaurant?

If it's the later, any recommendations? I'm not willing to dine inside -so either take out or outdoor seating.

I haven't been on that stretch of the AT (south of and just north of Hanover) in a long time and don't really remember it.

Last time I climbed up Moosilauke was 20 years ago!

I was referring to getting a meal anywhere in Hanover as there are alot of restaurants right on the AT path

steve_zavocki
07-21-2020, 13:37
2 Tips that might be useful.

1) The Indian restaurant in Hanover is really good.

2) If possible plan to camp by Wachipaula Pond at mile 1792.2. There are gorgeous sites right near the lake. The lake is perfect for swimming.

Bobby
07-22-2020, 09:00
2 Tips that might be useful.

1) The Indian restaurant in Hanover is really good.

2) If possible plan to camp by Wachipaula Pond at mile 1792.2. There are gorgeous sites right near the lake. The lake is perfect for swimming.

Thanks for the tips. I’ll be sure to try and incorporate both of them into my hike!

Love me some Indian food! It’s been about 6 months since I’ve visited my favorite Indian restaurant.