PDA

View Full Version : Trail Days - Homemade Gear Contest

Just Jeff
03-18-2006, 13:22
Hey guys,

Metayel asked me to write up something for the homemade gear contest, but I've never actually seen one (or been to Trail Days). I know they had one at Trail Days a few years ago, and I think it's an awesome idea, so I'm asking for help from you all.

Does anyone know who organized that one and how to get in touch with them?

If not, we'll need rules and categories. Metayel is gonna try to get prizes, but if nothing turns up I guess a $.10 ribbon will have to do! Safety pin it to your shoulder strap for all the world to see.

So here's what I was thinking.

Rules:

1 - It's the idea that's being judged, so it has to have some sort of originality involved. A direct copy of an existing product is ineligible.

2 - Has to be mostly homemade or a substantial improvement on an existing product. Adding thumb loops or extra pockets to a pack doesn't count, but making a fishing pole from a hiking pole does count (though that's already been used before).

3 - Can't be a product currently for sale. This isn't free advertising.

That's about it. Now for categories:

1 - Packs
2 - Shelters
3 - Sleeping gear
4 - Clothing
5 - Accessories

Judging:
1 - Most original
2 - Most useful
3 - Most attractive

And all in fun:
4 - Coolest useless project
5 - Ugliest

Anyone have info or ideas to contribute? And since I can't make it this year, we'll need someone to run it, judges, etc...

Thanks all!

Whistler
03-18-2006, 13:33
Try getting in touch with Glen van Peski. I believe he's done judging at ADZPCTKO for the past several years. He might have some ideas for you.
-Mark

Whistler
03-18-2006, 13:35
That's the Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail Kick-Off.

How about a 'sleeping' category, for bags, pads, and other bedtime delights?
-Mark

Just Jeff
03-18-2006, 13:41
Sleeping category added. Any contact info for Glen? If not, I'll start searching the web.

Whistler
03-18-2006, 14:19
I don't know Glen's off-hand. Looks like the ADZPCTKO (http://siechert.org/adz/) main site has contact info for the 3 head organizers, though.
-Mark

Trail Dog
03-18-2006, 14:59
can i enter my wooded stick i use for a fork?

Blister
03-18-2006, 15:09
At trail days there are already two gear contests

1. The useless homeade gear contest sponsored by Billville
(of course, its useless ans ******en funny)

2.Homeade Gear Contest
Not sure who sponsored this one but Chomp will know since he placed in the top three last year

Just Jeff
03-18-2006, 15:17
Ah - that's great! It's not on the schedule, though. I'll PM Chomp - in the meantime, anyone else know who ran and sponsored it? If it's already being done I'll shutup!

Forks and sticks are ok - long as it's original!

Blister
03-18-2006, 15:23
Also if your curious there were plenty of pictures taken of the useless gear contest. There are alot here on whiteblaze as well as backcountry.net
I was the proud first place winner there. I am still shocked I wasn't crippled from the experience.

Local
03-18-2006, 16:28
Last year's Trail Days schedule had this:

4-5pm Homemade Gear Contest

sponsored by Deuter at the Gazebo

but no one has mentioned it this year, and it's not on the schedule.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7176/sort/1/size/medium/cat/662/gallery/index.php
is a link to the Billville Useless Gear Contest....

Will Chomp be doing this again, and do we need to put this on the schedule?

Jeff and Blister, I'll check with the "committee" to see what the plans are, if any, for this year.

The only thing "homemade" on this year's schedule is homemade chili.

Local
03-18-2006, 16:57
Trail Days 2005 had both a homemade gear contest, and a useless gear contest.Neither is on the official schedule for 2006. This link which I just put online

http://www.traildays.info/useless.html

has some photos taken from one of the whiteblaze.net forums.

Seems like both these events need to be on the schedule, or at least given some sort of notice.

peter_pan
03-18-2006, 18:29
In 2004 the homemade gear contest was sponsored by Backpacker Magazine...It was held at the fire circle in the camping area...in 2003 I believe it was held at the shelter near the vendors.

Pan

chomp
03-21-2006, 11:08
Hey all -

There were in fact two gear contests at Trail Days last year - an official Homade Gear Contest sponsored by Deuter (http://www.deuterusa.com/) and a very unofficial Useless Gear Contest sponsered by Billville.

I can't speak for the official one, but there will definitely be an "unofficial" gear contest this year. As for a specific date and time, that is unlikely to be determined ahead of time. Best to just swing by Billville (look for the big white tent and a Billville sign - we will also be on the map at the front of the campground) and find out more. This contest is all in fun, so make up the most useless piece of hiking gear that you can think of. Awards will be given.

Last year, I made a walker out of broken Leki poles (thanks for all the spare parts, Leki), and had such a fun time with it, and Jack and I headed over to the official contest just for fun. We had a goods time with it, and I ended up taking third place. :) (first place was a guy that built his own backpacking ham radio in an Altoids tin - super impressive). I won a Deuter hydration pack that I use all the time - in fact I just used it for a week straight out in Death Valley. It would be a bummer if this doesn't happen, but like I said, I had no control over the official event.

chomp

Local
03-21-2006, 13:10
Well, geez, I stupidly started a new thread announcing that the Homemade Gear contest will be added to the schedule. Excuse this newbie: I should have done that here on this thread. So I will. The Homemade Gear contest for Trail Days, May 19-21 in Damascus, Virginia, is back on the schedule. Mount Rogers Outfitters will be the sponsor and promises lots of good prizes. We may try to do this right after the Hikers' Parade, so that people can take part in this contest and watch the auction at the same time. We'll work out the logistics, and will put signs around in the display area and in the campground.

Volunteers for judging are welcome. Maybe some past winnners?

Richard
www.traildays.info
www.damascus.org

Local
03-24-2006, 11:32
At Just Jeff's and others suggestion, we have added a Homemade Gear Contest to the Trail Days (Damascus, Virginia, May 19-21) schedule. A link to information can be found here:

http://www.traildays.info/homemade.html

The sponsor, Mount Rogers Outfitters, promises lots of good prizes. We would also like one more volunteer judge to join One-Third and Trace in the judging.

Heater
03-24-2006, 12:20
Also if your curious there were plenty of pictures taken of the useless gear contest. There are alot here on whiteblaze as well as backcountry.net
I was the proud first place winner there. I am still shocked I wasn't crippled from the experience.

Was your's the AT navigational device or something like that?
(B-Jack carried piggyback.)