PDA

View Full Version : Resupply and the USPS

stag3
03-18-2006, 13:22
I went to my local USPS office yesterday and asked the clerk..."Can I mail myself something from here (assuming that where "here" is doesn't matter)and pick it up at a PO in Virginia?" I got the "are you a terrorist" look, but I guess she figured I'm not one. Well, then she said that I need to send a "hold mail" notice to the Virginia PO, otherwise they would return it. Not the answer I was looking for.

So, my question is, what is the correct way to do this? How long will the USPS hold something for you?

Thanks..I know that WBers know how to do this.

Sly
03-18-2006, 13:31
So, my question is, what is the correct way to do this? How long will the USPS hold something for you?

Most of the PO's in Virginia are very familar with hiker packages.

Joe Hiker
C/O General Delivery
Trailtown, VA XXXXX

Please hold for AT Hiker
Approximate arrival X/XX/XX

weary
03-18-2006, 13:49
I went to my local USPS office yesterday and asked the clerk..."Can I mail myself something from here (assuming that where "here" is doesn't matter)and pick it up at a PO in Virginia?" I got the "are you a terrorist" look, but I guess she figured I'm not one. Well, then she said that I need to send a "hold mail" notice to the Virginia PO, otherwise they would return it. Not the answer I was looking for.
So, my question is, what is the correct way to do this? How long will the USPS hold something for you? Thanks..I know that WBers know how to do this.
Technically, I suspect your postal clerk is correct. But practically, all you have to do is to mail the package to your name, General Delivery, Town and Zip of the post office. Mark the package "Please hold for Appalachian Trail Hiker." It will be there when you arrive, at least if you have a friend or family member mail it a couple of weeks ahead of time.

I don't know about mailing in March for pick up in July. Some small town post offices have limited storage space, but in my experience post offices go out of there way to be accomodating to hikers.

Weary

Trail Dog
03-18-2006, 15:08
they garantee to hold the boxes for 30 days but trail town PO's that are use to the General Delivery system hold it for longer. (but dont count on that if they are flooded with General Delivery boxes)

I missed one box in Va. and the PO called me 3 months after i was there hiking asking if i wanted my box. I leave a number on the box just in case.

I told them to leave it out for any hikers who wanted it and although this was probally technically against the rules i assume they did since i never saw the box again

fiddlehead
03-21-2006, 00:41
asking any post office to hold your package for 3 months is not cool. first of all, they don't have room for that many packages. 2nd the rule is must hold it for 30 days and then send it back. I wouldn't ask them to break the rules, especially for 2 extra months. SO many of these smaller po''s get so crowded with packages waiting for hikers and everytime someone comes in, they must look thru all of them. Use common sense and the Golden Rule. (pretend you work their for a minute)
The post office is a wonderful tool for hikers, let's not blow it.

Chef2000
03-21-2006, 06:09
I have been using the PO for maildrops and bounce boxs since before the 9/11 incidents and a government run amok with denial of civil liberties.

Follow the intructions for adressing the box, send it Priority Mail, 2-3 day delivery. By sending the package this way you can forward it for free if you do not receive it. Sometimes I get to town before the box, so I simply tell the PO to forward it to my next stop.

ALSO put some kinda sticker or use a different color box so it stands out, when you get to the po you can say "its the one with the flower stickers..or etc, etc.

tlbj6142
03-21-2006, 12:29
Your PM was probably confused as many, most?, do not accept General Delivery pages unless you setup an "account" ahead of time. However, those along major hiking trails are well aware that many hikers use the PO for packages and have "lifted" this restriction.

I had the same reaction when I asked about mailing Canisters. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=97824&postcount=1)