PDA

View Full Version : Best place to meet thrus in NC?

Chainsaw 08
03-18-2006, 14:44
Hiya, all. I'm in the veeery early stages of considering a 2007 hike, but among my many problems is that not only have I never done anything like this, nobody I know has. I haven't been overnight hiking since I was 12.

I think what I really need to do is sit down with some people who are well into their hikes and just talk to them. I'd gladly buy a round of beer or drive a pack a few miles ahead for people willing to show me their gear and give me their impressions.

So the plan is to for me to take off in a few days and spend a week or so (3/22-3/28) around the trail.

I'm looking to car-camp somewhere where I can get my feet wet on short day hikes (preferably NOT on the AT, but on side trails in similar terrain), and then walk/drive over to a hostel or shelter where I can meet some Thru-hikers at night.

I'm guessing the Smokies are the best place -- or no? And where, specifically?

shades of blue
03-18-2006, 14:55
You could car camp at Deep Gap (near Standing Indian Mt.) There is the Kimsey trail and others in that area. Are you wanting to stay off the AT because you want it all to be a surprise when you hike it the first time? Just curious. One really good way to learn about the trail is to lurk around here, then take a few overnighters on the trail. I also highly recommend SORUCK. The past few years it has been at the NOC in Wesser, NC. That is just South of the Smokys. It's usually MLK weekend in January. There are lots of knowledgable people who can look at your pack and gear...give you good advice, and get to know other hikers. There is also traildays...but I've never done that, so others may speak to that. Also....ALDHA has a meeting in October that would be good for this purpose.
Some things to think about. Congratulations on your dreams....the AT is a wonderful place!

Chainsaw 08
03-18-2006, 15:14
Are you wanting to stay off the AT because you want it all to be a surprise when you hike it the first time?Kinda sorta. Not so much a surprise as much as being sort of a purist.

Just curious. One really good way to learn about the trail is to lurk around here, then take a few overnighters on the trail.
Oh, I've been lurking for a month.

The plan to take three trial runs: this toe-in-the water week now, followed by a 5-7 day hike in July, and then a few day's cold-weather camping in January. In between will be overnights and weekends on local trails.

The biggest problem is my job and my location. Getting anywhere remotely mountainous, takes a day's drive, and outside of that week in July, I won't have any more chances to take time off until next Christmas.

ARambler
03-18-2006, 15:40
There is a hiker bash in Franklin , NC from 3/30 to 4/3.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11925

These days, you will find a few hikers hanging out every night. Maybe a few more on 3/28 or especially 3/29.

Hot Springs is another town where you will find lots of thru hikers. (They have a trail Fest 4/21-23/06 in case you have your dates wrong. I'll be there 4/20)

With a car you can certainly do some hikes well off the AT. I have been hiking a few of the states high points. I'm looking forward to Mt Mitchel, NC in April. Also, Grandfather Mountain (not a high pointer) has a good reputation.
Brasstown Bald in GA can be hiked or you can drive. Ron from Hiawasee may be able to give you a shuttle to Brasstown Bald and you could hike to Unicol Gap via the side trails and the AT. Sassafras Mt just out of NC in SC is strictly a drive but a very pretty one.

All in all, I'd recommend doing a section on the AT, especially a good one like the Roan Highlands.
Rambler

timhines
03-18-2006, 22:51
I think April 1st (not a fool's joke) is a clean up day on the trail from NOC to Fontana Dam (mayber farther). That would be a good time to volunteer and talk to a lot of people while seeing first hand what it takes to maintain the trail. Just a thought.

Chainsaw 08
03-19-2006, 00:09
Alas, the 27th is the absolute last day I could spend in the area. I have to make a 2-day stop in Durham before being back in Orlando 3/30.

Miss Janet
03-19-2006, 02:04
"Kinda sorta. Not so much a surprise as much as being sort of a purist."

I did not know that you now had to be an AT virgin to be a "Purist"... it gets harder and harder to follow all the new rules.

Chainsaw 08
03-19-2006, 02:54
I did not know that you now had to be an AT virgin to be a "Purist"... it gets harder and harder to follow all the new rules.I said that? I made a rule? News to me ...

Krewzer
03-19-2006, 11:35
For those particular dates and what you're looking for, I'd head for Neel's Gap and hang out at the Walisi-Yi the whole time. The hostel will probably be full the whole time and there will be a continuous stream of brand new Thru-hikers passing through. You can witness the annual spring cleaning rites of most thru-hikers, as they send lots and lots of once thought completely necessary junk home (I speak from personal experience). They'll be mostly freshmen thru-hikers, flush with having made the first stage of the quest and will be totally focused on gear, supplies, weight and feet.
There are several good car camping areas nearby. While you're there, day hike Blood Mtn and catch a sunset. Take a large, or extra large, pepperoni and sausage pizza up with you to share on top. You have no idea how much info you can get for pizza. (a little heavy, but a six-pack would be a nice touch.)
Later, you should really try to make Trail Days in Damascus. The majority of freshmen hikers you visit in Neel's Gap will be very different by the time they reach Virginia, as will be their gear, experiences and attitudes. If you aren't convinced to hike in 2007 in Neel's Gap, you will be in Damascus.

Krewzer
03-19-2006, 11:53
One more tiny little thing. While in North Carolina or Georgia it's "Hi Y'all", not hiya, all. Especially over in Georgia.
Lordy Mercy!!! What some people some people can do the the English language.
<grin>

mdionne
03-19-2006, 12:05
or you might be better off staying here on whiteblaze. many of us here have thru hiked (some several times over), sectioned or are also preparing for a 2007 hike. the information here is valuable, i wish i had this in 2002. providing trail magic for hikers in a spot where most of them won't make it may supply you with poor information and you might be stuck shuttling an awful lot. someone with a car can be a glorious thing for hikers that don't want to hike that day. either way, if you just want to get a feel for the trail you should head to the grayson highlands or roan and hump mountains. it would be quiet.

Gray Blazer
03-20-2006, 08:25
Furtigan, I'm camping AT Rocky Bald This weekend, Mar 25 and 26 and providing allday breakfast for thru hikers. I hope you can join me as this sounds exactly what you are talking about. Rocky Bald is 1.7 miles south of Tellica Gap where I will be leaving my vehicle. I'm bringing my guitar and flute, also. Good day hikes in both directions. Wesser Bald firetower has an excellent view of the Smokies.

Jaybird
03-20-2006, 09:05
Hiya, all. I'm in the veeery early stages of considering a 2007 hike, but among my many problems is that not only have I never done anything like this, nobody I know has. I haven't been overnight hiking since I was 12...............etc,etc,etc,......So the plan is to for me to take off in a few days and spend a week or so (3/22-3/28) around the trail.................
I'm looking to car-camp somewhere where I can get my feet wet on short day hikes (preferably NOT on the AT, but on side trails in similar terrain), and then walk/drive over to a hostel or shelter where I can meet some Thru-hikers at night.I'm guessing the Smokies are the best place -- or no? And where, specifically?

Yo furtigan:

AINT nothing like the A.T.!
No matter how much you walk around the neighborhood with a 50lb pack on your back...it AINT the A.T.! And being in FLA...you dont have ANY mtns or large hills...(i hike middle TN's rolling hills...it AINT the A.T.!)

My suggestion is possibly meet someone who has THRU-HIKED & arrange a short (4-7 days) section-hike.

Why not begin @ the beginning????

SPringer Mtn is closest to you anyway!

good luck with yer hike.

Gray Blazer
03-20-2006, 10:33
I repeat, come camp out on Rocky Bald this weekend. We should meet several thru hikers, possibly Lone Wolf and Miss Janet, although they may be passed there by this wed. I am going to be cooking a lot of ham and eggs for thru hikers, so you could be talking with them while I'm cooking. You can do some easy day hikes, shuttle some hikers if you care to and even help them resupply.

Red Hat
03-20-2006, 15:31
To add to Krewser's diction lesson, it's Appalachian (with short A's) anywhere in the south. Turns to long A's about Virginia. I got that lesson in Hot Springs where a local told me I should at least know the name of the trail I was hiking.

Seeker
03-20-2006, 17:26
I'm looking to car-camp somewhere where I can get my feet wet on short day hikes (preferably NOT on the AT, but on side trails in similar terrain), and then walk/drive over to a hostel or shelter where I can meet some Thru-hikers at night.

I'm guessing the Smokies are the best place -- or no? And where, specifically?

Davenport Gap, Clingman's Dome area, Newfound Gap Road area, Mt Collins Shelter, Double Springs Shelter, Icewater Springs Shelter, Peck's Corner Shelter.

Easiest access of all is off I-40 at Waterville Exit (close to Mountain Momma's and the Davenport Gap shelter.) Newfound Gap Road gets you right into the middle of the GSMNP, and the Clingman's Dome Road gets you parallel to the AT for about 7 miles, with three shelters within easy walking distance. If you go northeast from Newfound Gap toward Charlies Bunion, that's good too.

Few of the side trails there are similar to the AT though... they are mostly steeper, since they are generally going up or down the side of the mounntains, and the AT runs along the ridges... yes, it's steepish in places too, but not as bad as the side trails... they'll definitely get you into shape though!

Chainsaw 08
03-31-2006, 04:40
While in North Carolina or Georgia it's "Hi Y'all", not hiya, all. Especially over in Georgia.I wasn't in NC or GA when I wrote it. I'm from Jersey ... you don't want us Yankees being phony southerners, do ya?

A lot of good offers. Alas, Gray Blazer, I left just before you posted! I did run into Lone Wolf not once, but twice ... I dropped in at Neel's Gap on the 20th with an 18 pk in my hand and saw him, and then again three days later I gave him some Magic, hauling him into Franklin, NC.

I took shadesofblue's advice and hung around Standing Indian & other parts of Nantahala NF, doing 4-6 miles a day. Everything went well, met & talked with about a dozen thrus. I think I'm a go for 2007!

Lone Wolf
03-31-2006, 04:42
Thanks again for hauling our asses out of Deep Gap. :D

Chainsaw 08
03-31-2006, 04:55
Hey, thereya are! No problem, anytime.

Krewzer
03-31-2006, 11:37
I wasn't in NC or GA when I wrote it. I'm from Jersey ... you don't want us Yankees being phony southerners, do ya?

...have filed papers declaring the "Yankee" called "Furtigan" an official "Alabaminite" with full rights and honors. Now go get yourself a "Larry the Cable Guy" bumper sticker.

Word of the Day:
"Y'all"
Use when addressing any group of persons (and occasionally hound dogs) South of the Mason Dixon Line. Often confusing to many outlanders when used to address a single person if the speaker implies in the reference other persons not present:"Have y'all had supper yet?"
Though not correct "Y'alls" is sometimes thought to be the plural form. In truth, the correct King's English is "All Y'all." This should not be confused with the possesive plural form, "All Y'all's"
Be aware that sometimes "Y'all's" is used as the short form of "Y'all is," but is considered poor grammar or slang. Often heard in the heat of the moment like, "Y'all's in trouble!." More often than not, this sounds like "Y'all-ziz" and is very bad grammar and completely devoid of eloquence. This particular phrase should be pronouced slowly, distinctly, "Y'all is in trouble!" (Using "Y'all-ziz" will get your children no more than a low B or high C in grammar class.)

Now can y'all explain to me this "forget about it thing" up there?

...my apologies for straying from the subject of this thread.