PDA

View Full Version : Hypoallergenic down?

tailwind105
03-18-2006, 18:28
I've been looking at sleeping bags lately. Researching them when i have the time. I have an old synthetic bag, which is on its last leg. I would like to get a down bag for compressability and weight.

This brings up a problem. When i was a kid i was allergic to down. Since then i have avoided sleeping with down blankets and pillows. The cleaning of down has improved, since i was a kid. In the past 2 weeks i have been using an oldish cheap down pillow, with minor disconfort. Which makes me think if the pillow had high quality cleaned down, i would probably have no problems.

Marmoth and Montbell claim to use hypoallergenic down in there 800+ fill bags. Which is what i would want, however neither sell bags that fully zip around the foot box. Which is a feature i want. The bag i've been looking at is the Western Mountaineering Aspen (hooded or nonhood). So...

Does anyone use a down sleeping bag, but are allergic to down?
(i'm aware that most aren't allergic to down, but to dust mites, ect. found in down. )

Anyone with Allergy problems use a Wstern Mountaineering bag with out any problems?

As always, thanks in advance.
~Tailwind