PDA

View Full Version : What to do if I see a bear?

appstate_mj
08-03-2020, 10:00
Not sure whether to post this here or in hiker safety. But I've never encountered a bear before (this will only be my 3rd section hike)...I'm doing part of the GSMNP....so my question is, what do I do if I see a bear? I've done some research, but any advice/tips? Both close up, and also not just if they are close...but what if for example I saw one 50 yds or so away...do I make noise to make it go away? Or just wait until it leaves before attempting to hike by? Also thoughts on bear bells...do they work?

rhjanes
08-03-2020, 10:14
Bear Bells no workie.
Quietly take a photo. Black bears are shy and usually once they have a clue you are around, all you will see is a black furry blur running away.
Assess the situation. If it is a mama, you got issues. Babies won't be 50 yards away from mom, but you don't want to get near them or her. Never run. Make yourself look "Big". Hold up your hiking poles. Yell "HEY BEAR!". Click the poles together. Remember, bears eye site is poor. They will smell you and hear you more than seeing you.
Run a google search and find some more information.

Mr.Woodward43
08-03-2020, 10:50
I aways false charge bears. They run away every time. (So far)

TNhiker
08-03-2020, 10:52
read the back of the dollar map for tips....

and dont wear bear bells....

they are annoying AF....

JNI64
08-03-2020, 11:11
I was on a section hike somewhere around Grayson Highlands area a few years ago and was taking a break right on trail hot as hell shirt off hanging in tree and i see something out of the corner of my eye about 30 yards away it looked like a big black dog no it was a bear cub walking down the mountain the cub met the trail and went the other way but I didn't see mamma. I was shaking as I put my shirt and pack on saying out loud where's momma luckily I was going the other way, never seen momma. Good advice above! You really only hear the occasional issues with black bears but it does happen and it's good to know what to do. Especially the smokies where there's something like 1 or 2 every square mile?

TSWisla
08-03-2020, 11:18
I have always wondered what to do if a bear is walking around outside your tent. Do you yell out? Sit quietly and hope it walks away?

JNI64
08-03-2020, 11:21
I aways false charge bears. They run away every time. (So far)

Black bears , i wouldn't try that with a grizzly lol....

TNhiker
08-03-2020, 11:22
I have always wondered what to do if a bear is walking around outside your tent. Do you yell out? Sit quietly and hope it walks away?

make noise to get them to run off.....

only the ones used to humans are the ones to be worried about....

most bears will run away with the scent of you...............

or if they see you....

or if there's loud noise......

JNI64
08-03-2020, 11:31

funny you mentioned that on the exact same trip I just described i was camping by a stream and there was 2 other hikers camping not far away. Hiking all day I was warned about bears and there were signs but anyway sure enough i heard them out there moving rocks and logs over sometime in the night. Really scary feeling i sharteted my pants. I didn't make any noise and they went away i had my food hung good they didn't get it. Hiking the next day I came up to the folks that were in camp that night and they said it was 2 bear cubs about 160 lbs just a couple hundred yards from camp.

Deacon
08-03-2020, 11:57
I encountered 12 bears along the length of the AT, with the highest concentration in New Jersey. As said above, they all ran away at top speed as soon as they detected my presence, except for a big mama and two cubs in NJ. She stood her ground and just stared at me. I slowly walked around her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mouser999
08-03-2020, 12:09
All along the trail in NJ & NY there are signs telling you what to do. There is plenty of online info on what to do

Durwood
08-03-2020, 13:30
Bluff charge any cubs, ring your bells, blow your whistle, blast bear spray into your own eyes then turn and run like your hair is on fire. JUST KIDDING-DO NOT DO THIS!!

I'm a believer in slow, steady movements to appear big while being verbal.

Once, on Tahoe Rim Trail (AT shakedown) I was treating water under some brush. Stream was only a few steps off trail but really compromised my situational awareness. After getting all gear set and adjusted I stepped out to the trail. Face to face (10 feet) with a HUGE black bear. I'm guessing he/she was going down to stream and I was clearly downwind. We were both startled and had an interminable stare down. I slowly raised my poles to the sky and shakily said, "hey bear, hey bear, easy there". This went on for like 4 hours...or 3 seconds, hard to say. I swear if a bear could roll it's eyes this one did. Turned very slowly, as if put off, and sauntered up the trail.

Never even occurred to me to go for a pic...

Ive experienced many other black bears in my vicinity after that encounter and have never witnessed any innate aggression. YMMV-read up on human/bear encounters and be safe!!

GoldenBear
08-03-2020, 13:33
I'm doing part of the GSMNP
In that case, your best source of info is:
https://www.nps.gov/grsm/learn/nature/black-bears.htm

Durwood
08-03-2020, 13:50
When I'm in tent for the night and hear a large anything moving around my site I make noise. My go-to is to shout "hello campers" in my best Marine NCO voice. This bellow would surely startle a bear but more importantly, I'm not just screaming nonsense to the forest if late hikers do arrive. Keeps the "cool" factor intact.

So...if you're ever night hiking and hear "HELLO CAMPERS"-it's just old Durwood trying to remain cool as he shoo's away mice. Better than the old Howard Dean "YEEEAAAGH".

HooKooDooKu
08-03-2020, 16:03
If it is a mama, you got issues. Babies won't be 50 yards away from mom, but you don't want to get near them or her.
It's grizzly bears where you have to worry about mama...They are very protective of their cubs because a grizzly male will kill cubs just to make the mama go into heat. So mama doesn't want large animals even in the vicinity... even if the cubs are right by her side.

But a black bear mama knows that at the first sign of danger, cubs will zip up a tree to get away from danger.
So as long you're not doing something stupid like chasing after a cub, a mama with cubs shouldn't be any more dangerous than a lone black bear.

Once got the privilege to watch a set of three cubs playing in a tree along the trail to Ramsey Cascades for about 5 minutes.
From the trail, the tree was down a short-steep slope and perhaps 30 yard off the trial. Three cubs were about 20' to 30' up the tree playing and mama was wandering around near the base of the tree keeping an eye on things. The lay of the land was such that mama knew the cubs were not in any danger. Eventually she got tired of the cub's antics, started walking off and the cubs soon came down the tree and followed mama.

The one time I can think I was startled by a bear was during an out-and-back over-night hike to Newton Bald.
On the way up the trail, we saw a bear down the hillside below the trail.
The next day, on the way back down, we stopped at that same spot and again saw the bear. After about 15 seconds, we were startled by the noise in a tree only 20' from us. A cub was scampering down the tree (that was the ruckus that startled us) and then hauled down the hill to get away from us and back to mama.

LazyLightning
08-03-2020, 19:37
I started carrying some little fire crackers, only for an emergency of a problem bear in camp at night, not just to scare any off. Never used them but I'm sure they would work and are certainly light enough to justify carrying around.

GoldenBear
08-03-2020, 21:37
There's no way you can throw a firecracker in the dark and be certain it doesn't land in an area with flammable material.

"How much harm can one firecracker cause?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Creek_Fire#Cause

It was announced on September 8 that Oregon State Police had obtained cellphone video footage from one of the teenagers who had watched while a 15-year-old Vancouver boy threw a smoking firecracker, allegedly igniting the Eagle Creek Fire. Public Information Officer Capt. Bill Fugate says "the video will be released through the public records request process once the investigation is closed and the case is adjudicated, if charges are filed", reported Willamette Week.

The teen was sentenced in February 2018 to five years of probation and 1,920 hours of community service with the U.S. Forest Service. He also was ordered to write apology letters to 152 people trapped on the Eagle Creek trail because of the spreading flames, the city of Cascade Locks, the Forest Service, Oregon State Parks, the Oregon Department of Transportation, the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs, the Columbia River Intertribal Fish Commission and many others.

On May 21, 2018, a judge ordered the 15-year old to pay more than $36 million in restitution, which includes more than $21 million on behalf of the U.S. Forest Service, $12.5 million to the Oregon Department of Transportation, more than $1.6 million to the Oregon State Fire Marshal, more than $1 million to Union Pacific Railroad and varying amounts to Oregon State Parks, Allstate Insurance and a woman who lost her home in the fire.[4] In his sentencing, Judge John A Olsen stated that the terms of the repayment were for a payment plan lasting for ten years, provided that the offender completed five years of probation and did not commit any crimes in the ten-year period

An air-horn will accomplish the exact same result, with no danger of starting a $36 million fire. It can also be used again, requires no time to use (you have to light a firecracker), and is quite legal (unlike firecrackers) in all parts of the A.T.

HooKooDooKu
08-04-2020, 00:45
I'm also pretty sure that firecrackers (fireworks) are illegal in the National Park.

LazyLightning
08-04-2020, 07:21
well it wouldn't be thrown far and i wouldn't do it or go back to sleep without making sure a fire didn't start but I didn't consider the legal factor either

HooKooDooKu
08-04-2020, 21:49
well it wouldn't be thrown far and i wouldn't do it or go back to sleep without making sure a fire didn't start but I didn't consider the legal factor either
Yeah, you have to check park rules and regulations, and you have to do it for each park you visit.
Example, GSMNP allows you to carry bear spray. But head out west to Yosemite National Park, bear spray is illegal.

One Half
08-04-2020, 23:00
just hike with a slower partner, then run away faster than they can.
just kidding. maybe...

GoldenBear
08-05-2020, 08:57
I'm glad you're joking.
The fast person who runs will get chased by the bear, and thus attacked.
The slow person who is intelligent enough to NOT run, but simply walks away in a quiet manner, will be fine.

When you meet a bear, the first thing to remember is that running is the STUPIDEST thing you can do.

I really wish this "joke" would just vanish by people refusing to repeat it.

Pringles
08-05-2020, 09:15
I hike in Yellowstone, and the area around, so along with black bears, I also have to deal with grizzlies (and wolves and bison and elk and mosquitoes...). Bison are the scariest. I carry two canisters of bear spray—with one always accessible, and I talk and yell and sing as I hike. Even in camp and at night if I wake, I will talk. I keep a clean camp, and pray that the people before me have done so as well. There have been 8 bear attacks in the region, by August 1st, *this year*. It’s not a just a monster under the bed thing, these were real incidents. The day before I started a recent hike, the park service destroyed a black bear that had attacked a woman and a child at a campsite I was scheduled to stay at. On my first night of that hike, as the sun was going down, I was setting up things in my tent, when I heard an odd sound. I said, “Hey bear,” and I heard the thump thump as something ran behind my tent, past, and away from the tent, then stop. I grabbed bear spray, while hoping it was a deer, and peeked out of the tent vestibule to see a young black bear, about 15 yards away. S/he was looking at me, to see what I was hollering about. I told him to leave, that it was my campsite. He continued to look at me. I told him to leave again, and he started to browse where he was. I got a little louder, and told him it was my campsite, and he trotted over the hill. In every instance when I’ve had a bear visit camp or along a trail, I’ve talked so the bear knows I’m there and exactly where I am, and they’ve moved away. You can’t plan for every situation, but making noise so the bears know you’re there seems to help.

martinb
08-05-2020, 10:21
Not sure whether to post this here or in hiker safety. But I've never encountered a bear before (this will only be my 3rd section hike)...I'm doing part of the GSMNP....so my question is, what do I do if I see a bear? I've done some research, but any advice/tips? Both close up, and also not just if they are close...but what if for example I saw one 50 yds or so away...do I make noise to make it go away? Or just wait until it leaves before attempting to hike by? Also thoughts on bear bells...do they work?

I see bears on about 75% of my smokies hikes. The most important thing is to remain calm. I know this will be difficult. The bear can most definitely sense your anxiety so it is important to minimize this as much as possible. If I'm moving through thick rhododendrons I usually tap my hiking poles together as a signal. If you happen to see one at 50 yards, just remain calm make sure it sees you and wait for it to wander off. This is what happens on 99% of my bear encounters there. I did have a difficult camp bear at one of the backcountry sites years ago but these are not too common.

JNI64
08-05-2020, 10:22
Pringles, with all the bear attacks in Yellowstone do you think it's part due to parts of the park being shutdown because of the virus? I've been seeing where the beasts have been taking over again since us humans left for a bit. Another black bear story on the east coast, wasn't it the smokies or was it snp when a black bear attacked that kid in his hammock? Father not far away saved him.

Odd Man Out
08-05-2020, 10:28
Tom Smith is a foremost bear biologists. If you search on line for his articles or videos he has some great advice, all based on the best science. One thing you learn from him is that much of the advice you will hear is misguided, wrong, or dangerous. What I learned is that the bear is in charge, meaning that you response is dictated by what the bear does. If the bear is 50 yards away and showing no signs of aggression or fear, then making noise may take a benign situation and make it worse. If the bear is showing signs of nervousness, again, being aggressive may only make matters worse. Where the encounter occurs matters. Is it in a developed area were the bear is not supposed to be or out in the woods. Two very important things to know in advance. If you see a bear, never run and if in a group, always stay together. Running is the response most highly correlated with bad outcomes and bears almost never attack a group of people. Also know that black and grizzly bear behaviour is different, so know the difference.

TNhiker
08-05-2020, 12:23
Another black bear story on the east coast, wasn't it the smokies or was it snp when a black bear attacked that kid in his hammock? Father not far away saved him

that was the smokys.....

the area of the park where the kid was in a campsite is heavily used....

and some people bring these carts up the trail loaded with all kinds of things and all kinds of food...

i was camped near a group like this that one morning cooked up two pounds of bacon......

they literally had a breakfast buffet with a couple dozen eggs and pancakes as well.....

Traffic Jam
08-05-2020, 15:21
Tom Smith is a foremost bear biologists. If you search on line for his articles or videos he has some great advice, all based on the best science. One thing you learn from him is that much of the advice you will hear is misguided, wrong, or dangerous. What I learned is that the bear is in charge, meaning that you response is dictated by what the bear does. If the bear is 50 yards away and showing no signs of aggression or fear, then making noise may take a benign situation and make it worse. If the bear is showing signs of nervousness, again, being aggressive may only make matters worse. Where the encounter occurs matters. Is it in a developed area were the bear is not supposed to be or out in the woods. Two very important things to know in advance. If you see a bear, never run and if in a group, always stay together. Running is the response most highly correlated with bad outcomes and bears almost never attack a group of people. Also know that black and grizzly bear behaviour is different, so know the difference.
Exactly! I’ve seen many bears and my response is always different depending on the situation. A few months ago, I encountered a largish bear about 50 yards ahead of me, standing on the trail and facing me. I stopped and the bear showed no fear, he just stood there. That was my cue to leave the bear undisturbed, back up, and turn around, constantly glancing back to make sure he wasn’t following. It’s his habitat and there was no need to frighten him just so I could hike a few more miles.

Five Tango
08-05-2020, 18:51

So are you saying that in most circumstances it is best to not make noise? At what point does noise need to be made? I would think at some point a strong calm voice might be advisable just to make sure he knows you're there.I've thought about whistles before but every time I hear one I think about how it might sound like a distressed rabbit or something to a predator.

JNI64
08-05-2020, 19:01
just hike with a slower partner, then run away faster than they can.
just kidding. maybe...

Just a couple of years ago maybe last year i can't keep track, but I think new jersey a group of kids were being followed by a bear all sticking together like they should until one decided to run,well the runner got chased down by the bear and killed. But I know you were just joking. Maybe?

JNI64
08-05-2020, 19:11
Please don't beat me up to bad if my facts are off, I'm a very sensitive person. But I think the last like 100 years there's been 6,7 black bear attacks on the east coast. Just a couple killed with human meat found inside the bears stomach. I would put bear attacks way down the fear factor list or concerned list i don't like the word fear. Tics being no 1 concern for me then probably a rabid animal a hiker had to kill a rabid coyote last year with a knife i think va..then losing focus hiking and stepping on a venomous snake. Then probably a rabid or dislodged person/ crazy person to deal with. Then maybe the bear concerns .

GoldenBear
08-05-2020, 19:12
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/nyregion/black-bear-kills-rutgers-student-during-a-hike-in-new-jersey.html

This group (1) approached the bear and then (2) took PennyPincher's advice. Because they believed this old "joke", one of them died -- the only death by a bear in New Jersey EVER recorded.

Again, I wish this "joke" would just die by people being smart enough to not repeat it.

Traffic Jam
08-05-2020, 19:25
So are you saying that in most circumstances it is best to not make noise? At what point does noise need to be made? I would think at some point a strong calm voice might be advisable just to make sure he knows you're there.I've thought about whistles before but every time I hear one I think about how it might sound like a distressed rabbit or something to a predator.

First and foremost, you are not supposed to disturb the wildlife...we are visitors. Occasionally, if it’s real quiet and I get that creepy feeling, I’ll knock my trekking poles together when approaching a blind curve or switchback. Otherwise, I try to hike quietly and consider it a privilege to see a bear. My actions when seeing bears are based on the ‘I won’t bother you if you don’t bother me’ principle and so far it has been successful.

I have experienced aggressive bears at shelters and that is an entirely different situation. The last time I camped, I had that creepy feeling so stacked rocks outside my tent, just in case.

TNhiker
08-05-2020, 20:09
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/nyregion/black-bear-kills-rutgers-student-during-a-hike-in-new-jersey.html

This group (1) approached the bear and then (2) took PennyPincher's advice. Because they believed this old "joke", one of them died -- the only death by a bear in New Jersey EVER recorded.

Again, I wish this "joke" would just die by people being smart enough to not repeat it.

i just read this article and not sure where you got "approached" from..

It says---"They encountered a black bear, which began to follow them, according to the police in West Milford, a township that includes the preserve."

And yes, encountered can mean a lot of things but it's not clearly defined in this situation........

Odd Man Out
08-05-2020, 20:09
Here's a good lecture.
https://www.outdoored.com/file/video/safety-bear-country-dr-tom-smith-2012-nols-faculty-summit

Traffic Jam
08-05-2020, 21:45
Here's a good lecture.
https://www.outdoored.com/file/video/safety-bear-country-dr-tom-smith-2012-nols-faculty-summit
Interesting, entertaining, and wise advice. But there’s a big difference between Eastern black bears and bears found in other parts of North America. I wouldn’t characterize people as “stupid” for choosing to not carry bear spray on the AT or other trails in the southeast.

JNI64
08-05-2020, 23:33

Are you alive? All these good stories and great advice are for you and we haven't heard a word from you. One last piece of advice from me if all else fails and a aggressive bear comes at you and doesn't stop you must fight for your life. Grizzly is different but a black bear attacks you must be mentally ready to fight and do whatever it takes. There's a person who survived a bear attack by shoving their fist down the bears throat and the gag reflex made the bear let go. If you feel better carrying bear spray then carry it ,it would help with a crazy person attacking you as well. I like that old poster with the stork trying to swallow a frog and the frog is reaching out of the storks mouth and choking the stork preventing the stork from swallowing him. Titled never give up.

GoldenBear
08-05-2020, 23:39
i just read this article and not sure where you got "approached" from

Permit me to give more detail on this statement.
https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/bear/wm9-21-14/sutton_report.pdf
This group of five were told specifically about an aggressive bear, and given the advice to leave the area.
They instead went TOWARDS the bear, with hopes of encountering it.
They did so, confirmed that it was aggressive (it almost immediately walked towards them), but they still did not leave the area.
They then followed the "advice" of this "joke," and New Jersey had its first recorded bear fatality.

I've had seven bear encounters while hiking solo on the A.T. In only one of them did the bear not immediately walk or run away.
In that one, I left the area as soon as I heard the bear snort, which is bear talk for "Beat it!"
I know enough to avoid aggressive bears and to NEVER RUN.

JNI64
08-06-2020, 00:30
Bluff charge any cubs, ring your bells, blow your whistle, blast bear spray into your own eyes then turn and run like your hair is on fire. JUST KIDDING-DO NOT DO THIS!!

I'm a believer in slow, steady movements to appear big while being verbal.

Once, on Tahoe Rim Trail (AT shakedown) I was treating water under some brush. Stream was only a few steps off trail but really compromised my situational awareness. After getting all gear set and adjusted I stepped out to the trail. Face to face (10 feet) with a HUGE black bear. I'm guessing he/she was going down to stream and I was clearly downwind. We were both startled and had an interminable stare down. I slowly raised my poles to the sky and shakily said, "hey bear, hey bear, easy there". This went on for like 4 hours...or 3 seconds, hard to say. I swear if a bear could roll it's eyes this one did. Turned very slowly, as if put off, and sauntered up the trail.

Never even occurred to me to go for a pic...

Ive experienced many other black bears in my vicinity after that encounter and have never witnessed any innate aggression. YMMV-read up on human/bear encounters and be safe!!

My vote for best bear story! Lol, thanks...

TNhiker
08-06-2020, 00:32
Permit me to give more detail on this statement.
https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/bear/...ton_report.pdf (https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/bear/wm9-21-14/sutton_report.pdf)

welllllllllllllllll..............

i based my response from the link you have provided in the previous post......

would have been nice to see this report instead of that other article as this one gives far more details....

JNI64
08-06-2020, 02:14
Yeah, you have to check park rules and regulations, and you have to do it for each park you visit.
Example, GSMNP allows you to carry bear spray. But head out west to Yosemite National Park, bear spray is illegal.

WHAT!! you'd think it would be more important out there because of grizzly!! More explanation please...

Five Tango
08-06-2020, 08:08
WHAT!! you'd think it would be more important out there because of grizzly!! More explanation please...

So I Googled it and found out that the intent is to not injure the Grizzly Bear but rather to provide a negative human interaction experience by scaring it instead.So comforting to know that Grizzlies can be scared straight......

appstate_mj
08-06-2020, 08:55
Yes...sorry for my lack of response. I've had a super large amount of patients this week, as I'm going on the trail all next week. I've just been reading and taking in all the info. THANK YOU so much to everyone who has contributed. I've gotten a lot of good info from all of you. I do have bear spray. I'm very careful re LNT and food precautions. Having never seen a bear, I'm still nervous...but I'm also really excited. Hike is in 2 days...I get to do an AT section once per year and it is one of the highlights of my year that I look forward to most. Thanks to everyone. I'll post when I get back and let everyone know how it went.

Pringles
08-06-2020, 09:02
I don’t think there are grizzlies in Yosemite. They have black bears that are, “persistent.” I don’t know anything about bear spray in Yosemite, though.

Someone, and I’m sorry but I don’t remember who, asked if there were more bear attacks in the greater Yellowstone area because of Covid, and the park having less/more visitors than usual. I believe the park has MORE visitors than usual, and there are no bus visitors, so the people are maybe in different places than usual. There’s also one road that is closed for construction, and that’s where people love to go see black bears and their cubs, so things are a little different here, but I don’t think that is driving the incidents. First, in the six years I’ve been here, there are always incidents. I can’t quote articles, but I think the local paper has made comments about bear-food being a little harder to find this year. The bear population has been growing and so there is also some bear crowding, and when a bear moves out of the park and into a rural area, there’s more interaction with people. Sometimes it isn’t good. I think it was within the last couple of weeks that some neighbors told a rancher that they had seen a bear around his place in the last few hours. He wanted to check on one shed, and the bear happened to be in it at the time. He was mauled, but survived. I know an early incident this year involved a woman who was hiking a trail in Yellowstone, and she surprised a grizzly with at least one cub. The mama bear took a swipe at the lady and both bear and cub disappeared into the woods. The woman had bruises and maybe scratches. The park service in Yellowstone and Grand Teton say to make noise when you hike, so I do. I did a hike last week where there were warning signs that a bear had been guarding a carcass, but that was three weeks earlier. I passed safely, but can attest that the carcass still smelled. Two hikers I passed that day said a grizzly had walked through their camp that morning. According to them, the grizzly looked a little surprised, then ambled on. I’m not a very brave person, but I’ll continue to take my chances with my fellow county residents, be they people or bears. I make noise, though, so when we’re surprised to see each other, there’s a bit of distance.

JNI64
08-06-2020, 09:10

Never mind my bad there are no griz in ca.

JNI64
08-06-2020, 09:14
I don’t think there are grizzlies in Yosemite. They have black bears that are, “persistent.” I don’t know anything about bear spray in Yosemite, though.

Someone, and I’m sorry but I don’t remember who, asked if there were more bear attacks in the greater Yellowstone area because of Covid, and the park having less/more visitors than usual. I believe the park has MORE visitors than usual, and there are no bus visitors, so the people are maybe in different places than usual. There’s also one road that is closed for construction, and that’s where people love to go see black bears and their cubs, so things are a little different here, but I don’t think that is driving the incidents. First, in the six years I’ve been here, there are always incidents. I can’t quote articles, but I think the local paper has made comments about bear-food being a little harder to find this year. The bear population has been growing and so there is also some bear crowding, and when a bear moves out of the park and into a rural area, there’s more interaction with people. Sometimes it isn’t good. I think it was within the last couple of weeks that some neighbors told a rancher that they had seen a bear around his place in the last few hours. He wanted to check on one shed, and the bear happened to be in it at the time. He was mauled, but survived. I know an early incident this year involved a woman who was hiking a trail in Yellowstone, and she surprised a grizzly with at least one cub. The mama bear took a swipe at the lady and both bear and cub disappeared into the woods. The woman had bruises and maybe scratches. The park service in Yellowstone and Grand Teton say to make noise when you hike, so I do. I did a hike last week where there were warning signs that a bear had been guarding a carcass, but that was three weeks earlier. I passed safely, but can attest that the carcass still smelled. Two hikers I passed that day said a grizzly had walked through their camp that morning. According to them, the grizzly looked a little surprised, then ambled on. I’m not a very brave person, but I’ll continue to take my chances with my fellow county residents, be they people or bears. I make noise, though, so when we’re surprised to see each other, there’s a bit of distance.

maybe their just protesting? That question was from me thank you.

JNI64
08-06-2020, 09:25
Yes...sorry for my lack of response. I've had a super large amount of patients this week, as I'm going on the trail all next week. I've just been reading and taking in all the info. THANK YOU so much to everyone who has contributed. I've gotten a lot of good info from all of you. I do have bear spray. I'm very careful re LNT and food precautions. Having never seen a bear, I'm still nervous...but I'm also really excited. Hike is in 2 days...I get to do an AT section once per year and it is one of the highlights of my year that I look forward to most. Thanks to everyone. I'll post when I get back and let everyone know how it went.

all good in the woods, I too really only get out once maybe twice a year for my 1 wk section hikes. My section this year was supposed to be Ewrin to Hampton tn. Setting me up about 30 miles from the GSMNP. but I scrapped my plans this year. Have a great hike and keep that camera ready. I think a lil nervous is good for ya keeps you on your toes/ self awareness. And if that's all it takes is a can of bear spray and your good go for it. Like I said that could be a defense against bear,an aggressive person or a rabid animal etc.... please do come back with a trip report at least I can live vicariously through others hikes.

Traffic Jam
08-06-2020, 10:38

Next week, I’m backpacking in an area that has had problem bears and I’m nervous also. We’d be dumb not to be concerned and cautious. Have a great trip.

Five Tango
08-06-2020, 13:16

I Googled and apparently you are correct.I sure thought that was a big ole brown Grizzily bear on their state flag though....

GoldenBear
08-07-2020, 11:04
I sure thought that was a big ole brown Grizzily bear on their state flag though
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_California

My trail name says it all.
There were grizzly bears in California -- somewhat golden -- until about 1900.
The last confirmed kill, which was by mistake, was in 1908.
https://www.hmdb.org/PhotoFullSize.asp?PhotoID=223402

Unconfirmed kills and sightings continued until the 1920s.

Five Tango
08-07-2020, 12:35
So why haven't Grizzlies been reintroduced to their natural California habitat by the state? Can't help but wonder why none of the other nortwestern states grizzly population has not wandered back down to California............

D2maine
08-07-2020, 15:20
So why haven't Grizzlies been reintroduced to their natural California habitat by the state? Can't help but wonder why none of the other nortwestern states grizzly population has not wandered back down to California............

California still has habitat that can sustain about 500 grizzlies.[15] In 2014, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service received and rejected a petition to reintroduce grizzly bears to California.[16][17] In 2015, the Center for Biological Diversity launched a petition aimed at the California state legislature to reintroduce the grizzly bear to the state.[18][19][20] The California grizzly bear has been considered as a possible candidate for attempts at de-extinction, through the proposed use of back-breeding, cloning and genetic engineering to recreate extinct species.[21]

16 Woody, Todd (20 Jun 2014). "A New Move to Bring the Grizzly Bear Back to California". TakePart. Participant Media. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
17 "EDITORIAL: Grizzly bear homecoming?". Fresno Bee. 19 Jul 2014. Retrieved 28 Sep 2015.[dead link]
18 "Where are the Bears?". Center for Biological Diversity. Archived from the original on March 10, 2016. Retrieved February 28, 2016.
19 Platt, John (28 Jul 2015). "Waving the Flag for the Grizzly's Return to California". TakePart. Participant Media. Retrieved February 28, 2016.
20 Miller, Craig (May 2, 2016). "Move to Return Grizzly Bears to California Will Be an Uphill Push". KQED Science. Retrieved 5 May 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_grizzly_bear#:~:text=In%202014%2C%20the %20U.S.%20Fish,grizzly%20bear%20to%20the%20state.

danil411
08-07-2020, 20:31
Another bear in West Milford was just euthanized for scratching a man in the head/face. Man took his dog for evening walk, leaving garage door open and bear was in/near fridge door when he returned. To posts above--context important. Dark garage, cornered bear...I don't think there were mistakes made here by the human.

I agree if bear sees me and seems to be moving off, I don't yell. I do say thank you. I also don't look her in the eye--I look at her shoulder and if I am moving away I never take my eyes off her--I will sidestep down the trail until I feel comfortable. I never want to surprise a bear so if I see a bear first, I vocalize. I also vocalize going around a blind curve or through deep understory to avoid suprise.

Thusfar I have been lucky to have a hearty "Hey Bear" scare them away from my tent.

And remember--enjoy the experience. Black bears are like coyotes or fox--adept at living with us in our neighborboods--intelligent, powerful and with cubs, playful.

The Solemates
08-09-2020, 17:40
Saw a grizzly couple weeks ago. Jumped right out on the trail in front of me not 10 yds away. Somehow it didn’t see Or hear me til then. We were in brush over my head. A simple “ hey bear” and it high tailed outtta there.

MichaelK7
08-11-2020, 10:13
This is the best info I've found about black bears:

https://bear.org/bear-facts/black-bears/bears-and-humans/

My only encounter that wasn't a bear running away was with the infamous problem bear at the Fingerboard Shelter in Harriman SP, NY. After having a brief conversation with it, and seeing that he/she had zero fear of humans, I slowly made my way away from the area and camped a few miles further down the trail.

I can very happily spend my life without encountering a grizzly, and have no regrets.

Fredt4
08-11-2020, 11:04

Though it's a common mistake it's just wrong. It's correct to say there's no grizzlies in Yosemite but you shouldn't say there's no grizzlies in California. One could correct the statement by saying, "There's no free roaming Grizzlies in California".

Five Tango
08-11-2020, 12:59
Though it's a common mistake it's just wrong. It's correct to say there's no grizzlies in Yosemite but you shouldn't say there's no grizzlies in California. One could correct the statement by saying, "There's no free roaming Grizzlies in California".

Ok,but now I'm curious. Where do ya'll keep the Grizzly in California?Zoo?

CalebJ
08-11-2020, 13:54
Saw a grizzly couple weeks ago. Jumped right out on the trail in front of me not 10 yds away. Somehow it didn’t see Or hear me til then. We were in brush over my head. A simple “ hey bear” and it high tailed outtta there.
You saw a grizzly where?

JNI64
08-11-2020, 14:17

Sorry to make this mistake ,not. Sorry I forgot about the bears in the zoo in hiking forum, not.

FlyPaper
08-11-2020, 16:05
Was hiking with my kids just north of GSMNP and my oldest said very matter of factly, "Hey look, a bear".

It was a full grown bear foraging for food probably initially only 10 yards from us. We just stood quietly and observed as it slowly foraged its way away from us. I'm sure we weren't quiet enough that it didn't notice us, but it didn't run from us either. I took a few pictures when it was maybe 25 yards away. The photos look like a typical Sasquatch photo in that there is only blurry fur in the midst of foliage.

Had the bear paid attention to us, it might have been a good idea to try to scare it off.

The one other bear a saw was nothing but a fur streak that lasted about 0.5 seconds.

Traffic Jam
08-11-2020, 18:34
Was hiking with my kids just north of GSMNP and my oldest said very matter of factly, "Hey look, a bear".

It was a full grown bear foraging for food probably initially only 10 yards from us. We just stood quietly and observed as it slowly foraged its way away from us. I'm sure we weren't quiet enough that it didn't notice us, but it didn't run from us either. I took a few pictures when it was maybe 25 yards away. The photos look like a typical Sasquatch photo in that there is only blurry fur in the midst of foliage.

Had the bear paid attention to us, it might have been a good idea to try to scare it off.

The one other bear a saw was nothing but a fur streak that lasted about 0.5 seconds.

Perfect! That must have been a great experience. Most of the time in the Smokies, either the bear quickly runs off or eventually moves away without having to disturb him.

Fredt4
08-12-2020, 15:35
Ok,but now I'm curious. Where do ya'll keep the Grizzly in California?Zoo?
"With the cooperation of the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Department, the Zoo agreed to provide a home for the two grizzly bears, Kachina and Kiona." I don't know their status, also I thought there was one in southern California, but I couldn't find a link. I'm wishing, a bit dreaming, of their reintroduction into California though it seems unlikely any time soon.

GoldenBear
08-12-2020, 16:39
Where do ya'll keep the Grizzly in California?Zoo?

https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/animals/grizzly-bear
http://www.sfzoo.org/animals/exhibits/grizzlygulch.htm
https://www.oaklandzoo.org/grizzly-bear-cams
https://bigbearzoo.org/grizzlie-bears/

Also, if you head for Berkeley during a football or basketball game, you might get close to a VERY famous golden bear!
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6f/f7/2f/6ff72f071ef18d70a8124701bae84b0a.jpg

jimqpublic
08-14-2020, 10:12
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200814/e07ebbc95b6362b853b0b0c9c440d02d.jpg
Sign posted by the backcountry ranger at Rae Lakes in Kings Canyon NP, California. They’re serious about hazing. The best defense is a good offense. (Photo by Carl Wanderung from Sierra Nevada trail conditions Facebook group)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimqpublic
08-14-2020, 10:26
So why haven't Grizzlies been reintroduced to their natural California habitat by the state? ............

The California Grizzly was considered a separate subspecies and is extinct. Therefore it wouldn’t be “reintroduced” if a different type of bear were brought in. While news reports talk about using genetic engineering to recreate the DNA from tissue samples, I saw a movie once where they did that with different apex predators and it didn’t turn out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

appstate_mj
08-17-2020, 08:49
I DID SEE A BEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

So I just got back from my hike from Newfound Gap to Hot Springs...saw 1 bear. It was a BIG MAMA bear, with 1 cub. Of course, we accidentally ended up sneaking up on her. What happened was, we had just started the big 3000 ft climb after you leave GSMNP after Davenport Gap...we were a little gassed, and there was also a natural lull in the conversation anyway...I came around a corner that also was a bit of a hill, and BAM there she was. Her head snapped to the side and looked right at me...I saw the cub scurry away out of my peripheral vision. I remembered everything to do, and told my hiking partner to back up slow and talk to it and make noise; I said hold the poles up and bang them together. I actually did not remember to get the spray out...I was focused on backing up calmly. He reminded me of that. We back up until the bear was out of site. After about 5 minutes of loud noise making, we slowly advanced back forward. The bear was STILL there, and she had moved slightly over to where she was now ON the trail. Her ears perked up when she saw us again. We backed up again. A little freaked out because she was still there. This time we stayed back longer. After about 15 minutes, we crept forward again...she was gone. Another corner...we tiptoed around it. For the next 2 miles we were as loud as 2 hikers could be. My only fear at this point was that we'd meet up with the same bear again, and she'd think we were following her. I think she stayed on the trail until she was satisfied that her cub was a safe distance away. My adrenaline was up...I crushed the rest of that incline. For the rest of my hike I made sure to be louder to alert them. Didn't see any more. My other friends saw 3 rattlesnakes...I didn't see any.

Great hike overall. Someone asked me to post a summary which I'll try to do soon when I get caught up with work.

JNI64
08-17-2020, 09:20
So cool, good for you. I don’t think spray was needed but if she'd come after you I'm sure you'd remember really quickly lol. You were probably caught up in the excitement of it all but did you get a picture? The ears on a bear don't grow so the smaller the ears the bigger the bear. Sounds like a great hike bears and rattlesnakes and a good forest bathing....

Traffic Jam
08-17-2020, 17:48
Very cool appstate.

A hiking buddy and I saw signs of bear in Citico Creek Wilderness today but my constant chatter probably scared them away.

TNhiker
08-17-2020, 19:57
I actually did not remember to get the spray out..

that's good-----you don't wanna be spraying it in your face....

the bear wont need it..........

Traveler
08-18-2020, 06:58
Reminds me of an episode at a remote camping area on a brisk fall afternoon. A newlywed couple had set up a tent, stashed their packs (with food) in it, and went off to a nearby lake. Sometime during that process I arrived with a hiking buddy who said casually they should think about hanging their packs to prevent forest critters getting into their food and gear. The young man reached into a fanny pack he had on and hauled out a can of Bear Spray, thrusting it at us saying he was well prepared for bears, beaming at his level of preparedness.

We set up our tents a short distance away, hung our packs and left the site to explore some views. We returned to a lot of noise from the couple, who discovered during their absence raccoons had gotten into their tent and were tearing through their food, refusing to be scared off (getting the famous raccoon look "whatcha gonna do about it"). The young man excitedly pulled the Bear Spray out of the fanny pack and fumbling with it pulled the discharge preventer off, turning the can around somehow, and with a hearty "stand aside" command pulled the trigger, instantly covering himself in a toxic cloud. Dropping the can and falling to the ground (I think he hit the ground sooner than the can) his new wife came to the rescue, grabbing the spray can and emptied it into the tent. Fortunately the raccoons, sensing their buffet had come to an end escaped in the confusion just before the can of Bear Spray was released into the tent.

Suffice to say, the young man had a face full of Bear Spray and the fight was out of him, the young woman had coated all of their gear and tent interior with the pepper spray oil and rendered it useless, the raccoons were well fed enjoying the show. We helped as best we could in flushing the spray out of the young man's eyes so he could tend to washing off in what had to be 45-degree lake water. At this point the repellant had attached itself to most everything in the tent and the tent itself. The young woman started coughing as she tried to get the packs out, slowly succumbing to the irritant in handling the gear.

It takes longer to tell than the event actually took from start to finish. My friend suggested we pack up "to give the newly weds some privacy", though he knew it would be a long night for them without a usable tent and constantly re-exposing themselves to the irritant from gear that now needed to be thoroughly cleaned. We offered our sympathies, wished them well and got out of there in record time, camping about 3-miles or so down the trail. Later that night it started to rain.

There were, of course, several parts of this episode that were comical in nature and makes for a great cautionary campfire tale on many levels It left me with tremendous respect for bear spray and its power, to the point I do not carry it unless I am in Brown bear country and even then I do so reluctantly. I sometimes wonder if the couple is still together after that experience and the horrible night they must have had exposed to the rain and spray residue. Hopefully they did and were made stronger for it.

Five Tango
08-18-2020, 07:49
That was quite a story.Inquiring minds want to know how far they had to walk to get back to the trailhead?Also,could you tell how effective his cold water bath was in removing the capsicum resin from his skin or clothes?

TNhiker
08-18-2020, 12:00
. The young man excitedly pulled the Bear Spray out of the fanny pack and fumbling with it pulled the discharge preventer off, turning the can around somehow, and with a hearty "stand aside" command pulled the trigger, instantly covering himself in a toxic cloud

in one of the FB hiking groups-----a lady had to go to the ER after accidentally discharging hers and leaving burns on her back.......

she had the can in a side pocket-----snagged the pin, and it went off......

JNI64
08-18-2020, 12:28
Pretty funny story there Traveler, the raccoons got one hell of a show. There're probably still telling that story to their kids and grandkids

Traveler
08-19-2020, 06:45
That was quite a story.Inquiring minds want to know how far they had to walk to get back to the trailhead?Also,could you tell how effective his cold water bath was in removing the capsicum resin from his skin or clothes?
They were about 5 to 6-miles back to the trailhead parking from where we were. Though it was not too strenuous a hike under normal conditions I have to think it became untenable after a little time inside that tent with a steady rain and more than likely resulted in a late night walk out.

I am not sure how the "washing" of the skin went, I presume there was a change of clothing but not sure. What I am sure about was the increasing misery level that was unfolding would not improve overnight, so we decided to break camp and move a few miles up the trail.

Five Tango
08-19-2020, 08:49
Thanks,Traveler.I have a can of Counter Assault and only carry it when I go places where critters are known to be habituated.Stored properly in it's holster it would be impossible to accidentally deploy but I can see how an inexperienced user might get confused in a panic situation but I can't imagine anyone deciding to hose down their gear and sleeping quarters with it.

Time Zone
08-19-2020, 08:50
This reminds me of the scene in Anchorman where Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) maces himself.

JNI64
08-19-2020, 09:05
Thanks,Traveler.I have a can of Counter Assault and only carry it when I go places where critters are known to be habituated.Stored properly in it's holster it would be impossible to accidentally deploy but I can see how an inexperienced user might get confused in a panic situation but I can't imagine anyone deciding to hose down their gear and sleeping quarters with it.

Like new york?