PDA

View Full Version : über micro sleeping mat

Aramis
03-18-2006, 19:43
Has anyone tried the über micro sleeping mat from Insul Mat? It weighs 85g/3oz, which is nice, and about a tenth of the weight of my Thermarest. If it's really 1" thick at that weight then I want one!

http://www.pacoutdoor.com/2005/index.cfm?action=product&productID=88&groupID=19&familyID=1

Old Spice
03-18-2006, 19:45
I was looking at these as well as the Gossamer Gear torso length nightlight. I ended up getting the 3/4 (6.5 oz) which is as almost long as I am tall. Once it warms up, I'll probably cut it down a bit.

Aramis
03-18-2006, 20:04
The torso length Nightlight also looks nice. How do you find the comfort of the 3/4 version compared to a Ridgerest? A Ridgerest doesn't do it for me unless it's folded in half lengthways to double the thickness. That's why I thought that the 1" solid foam of the Micro might be sufficiently luxurious. With the woobly surface of the Nightlight its effective thickness is probably only abot 1/2", which should be similar to the ubiquitous blue foam pads in terms of comfort. Better than the effective 1/4" inch of the Ridgerest though, and perhaps even close to a doubled one.

Does anyone know why mat makers put bumpy surfaces on their mats? It seems to me that they just compress to a much thinner mat when you put your weight on them. Why not just use a thinner flat mat to start with? I don't buy the 'trapped air' theory.

The scoring on the torso Nightlight is a good idea.

Old Spice
03-18-2006, 20:06
I'll let you know how it feels in a few weeks when I get it out on the trail.

Kevin A. Boyce
03-18-2006, 20:22
Funny That I just read this post, the owner of Rock and Snow in New Paltz NY just showed me these pads! Personally, I am thinking now about getting the Uber Mtn verison, it inflates to 1.5 inches. It is very light, and folds and rolls up to about 10-12 inches by 4-5 inches round. It seems to be fairly narrow, but I sleep on my side mainly and seems like it will work out nicely.

Keep us updated of your use,
KevBoy

longshank
03-19-2006, 13:44
I've been using a thermarest pro-lite, but am now considering one of these insulmats. The specs look really good, and I'd never heard of them before. Thanks for the link!

Old Spice
03-19-2006, 20:27
Gossamer gear also has insulating mats ( 2 oz.) (to be used in conjunction with a closed cell) for colder weather hiking. If you don't mind spartan comfort at night they can be used alone in warm weather.

hiker5
03-19-2006, 22:20
Has anyone tried the über micro sleeping mat from Insul Mat? It weighs 85g/3oz, which is nice, and about a tenth of the weight of my Thermarest. If it's really 1" thick at that weight then I want one!

http://www.pacoutdoor.com/2005/index.cfm?action=product&productID=88&groupID=19&familyID=1

I wouldn't trust the dimensions posted on that web site. They are obviously having some unit conversion issues.

They claim:
Size (in.) 17 x 37 x 1.0
Size (cm.) 17 x 31 x 0.4

For the record 1 inch equals 2.54 cm.

I'm guessing that the pad is 1 cm thick. Which is approx. 0.4 inches.

hikerjohnd
03-19-2006, 22:32
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/POE130

Looks like the dimensions in inches are 17x37x1 - BCG usually has it right...

Would love to see more reviews - it could shave 1/2 pound off my gear...

hiker5
03-20-2006, 09:40
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/POE130

Looks like the dimensions in inches are 17x37x1 - BCG usually has it right...

Would love to see more reviews - it could shave 1/2 pound off my gear...

Actually, you are linking to the uber-lite, not the uber-micro the post was originally asking about. But since you linking BCG:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=POE131

There you can see that indeed the uber micro is listed at 0.4 inches thick and 5 oz. lighter than the uber lite.

vipahman
03-22-2006, 13:22
I use the Nightlight Torso and it's great for summer use. It folds nicely into my Dawn/Jam/Trek packs and acts as a frame. It weighs only 3.7oz.

cbert
03-31-2006, 00:20
My ridgerest is for sale if anyone wants it - I LOVE the torsolite. I have both a torsolength and a 3/4 length, which is basically full-length for me

I'd be willing to sell my uberlite too - the thing is very TINY and rolls up small, but unless on sand or something, I can't imagine actually using it to sleep on - maybe as a nap pad or sit pad

MacGyver2005
03-31-2006, 08:33
My ridgerest is for sale if anyone wants it - I LOVE the torsolite. I have both a torsolength and a 3/4 length, which is basically full-length for me

I'd be willing to sell my uberlite too - the thing is very TINY and rolls up small, but unless on sand or something, I can't imagine actually using it to sleep on - maybe as a nap pad or sit pad

I might be interested in your pad(s), you have a PM.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Footslogger
03-31-2006, 09:53
I'm impressed with the weight of the pad but then I went to the website and got the dimensions. Kind of short compared to my 3/4 thermarest, I think ?? And it looks like it's designed for a "side sleeper". Anyone out there actually using one and interested in sharing their experience.

'Slogger

ofelas
09-17-2007, 15:03
Would be interested in updates on the 3 oz. Uber Micro as well...thx!

Dirtygaiters
09-17-2007, 15:31
I'm just now seeing this thread, and it looks like it's a couple years old...The specs on that link say it's 1.0 cm, not 1.0 inches. That should be about 5/8 inches. However, it looks like POE doesn't make this anymore. Their current lightest weight pad is the Uber lite (http://www.pacoutdoor.com/2007/index.cfm?action=product&productID=87&groupID=27&familyID=1) which is 9oz. That's still not bad considering that Bozeman Mtn Works' inflatable torso pad weighs about an ounce more and this one is 1.0 inches thick. Too bad because I really like POE's eficient hourglass pad shape. Makes me want to buy some Gossamer Gear pads and cut them up from their weight-innefficient rectangular shape into that hourglass one. If I could find a glue suitable, I could even mate a rectangular thinlight to the bottom of a cut nightlight for extra insulation while retaining the weight savings. Hmm, interesting.

hiker5
09-17-2007, 16:00
I think the web page was change some time during the year and a half that this thread had been around. Also, 1 cm much closer to 3/8 (.375") than 5/8(.625") (maybe that is what you meant), out to four decimal places it is 0.3937".

Dirtygaiters
09-17-2007, 16:48
I was just guessing. You're right it's closer to 3/8".

Appalachian Tater
09-17-2007, 16:55
Sure wish I were a back-sleeper instead of a side-sleeper so I could use one of those!

camper10469
09-17-2007, 18:14
I just bought a Hyper Mtn pad which is a closed cell foam pad with the uber mtn bonded to it for $60 from... http://www.summithut.com/catalog/remap/product.asp/DeptID/969/SortOrder/1/pfid/25453/

I just got it today and so far it looks great. The Uber part is an inflating mat that is exactly the shape of the orange part of the mat. It's an inch think and falls right under your shoulder n hips. The closed cell foam is a nice dense 1/4" EVA with another layer of Closed cell foam bonded to that with some diamond shaped cuts in it.

So far just laying on it in my living room it seems small compared to my Ridge rest maybe because I'm use to sleeping on a rectangle mat not a mummy shaped one. If it's comfortable, I'll sleep on my side all night instead of tossing n turning because of the sharp pains I get n my shoulders n hips on teh hard ground. This may be exactly what I need.

I'll let ya know how it turns out in the spring.

Egads
09-17-2007, 20:14
Uber Micro

I have the Uber Micro (as pictured in the original link) and it is a good summer weight hammock pad IMHO. It is only 0.4 inches thick and does not inflate. I certainly would not use it on the ground.

POE is the most innovative pad / mattress manufacturer out there now. They have pads ranging from the Uber Micro to insulated mattresses, to Hot Pads you hook to a car battery, to R-20 lightweight mounteering pads.

Great stuff for every need. They deserve 3 dancing bananas.:banana :banana :banana

Egads

trailale
09-24-2007, 09:38
That uber micro DOES look like a good hammock mattress. Anyone else have experience with it in a hammock. I'm impressed by the weight. I don't see how it can weigh that much less than my prolite 3 short. How is the uber micro as a sit pad? It looks like it would easily fold in half for double thickness for sitting.