PDA

View Full Version : Horse and Cooper Gaps

Teacher & Snacktime
08-08-2020, 12:00
Between these 2 locations, which would be a better place to park (and sleep in) a car overnight?

mclaught
08-08-2020, 16:23
I'd say it all depends on how you feel about doing Sassafrass Mountain the next day. If you want to skip it, park at Cooper if you're going NOBO. I remember both gaps as having enough parking for several cars, with Cooper maybe having a little more room? And really, it's a 10 minute drive between the two, so if you don't like the looks of one of them, just drive to the other.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-08-2020, 18:09
Thank you. I was particularly interested in the number of cars that could comfortably fit (we have 2) and how quiet one would be compared to the other. When I saw they were along the same road it became clear that question was moot. Thanks for the input though.

Lone Wolf
08-08-2020, 19:16
cooper gap is best. was there 3 weeks ago

Teacher & Snacktime
08-09-2020, 12:09
TY Wolf. It's our first choice but the last time I was there (Oct 2016) it seemed busy and crowded. This may have been in part because much of the parking was taken up by a military water tank (not complaining, it was dry season!).

BTW....will likely see you this Oct. Want me to bring you anything "RI" for a taste of home?

FatMan
08-09-2020, 19:01
Horse Gap would be my preference. As you noted Cooper Gap gets a lot of traffic and sometimes Army Ranger games. Both are safe for parking though.

skater
08-09-2020, 22:03
TY Wolf. It's our first choice but the last time I was there (Oct 2016) it seemed busy and crowded. This may have been in part because much of the parking was taken up by a military water tank (not complaining, it was dry season!).

BTW....will likely see you this Oct. Want me to bring you anything "RI" for a taste of home?

How 'bout some coffee syrup?

Teacher & Snacktime
08-09-2020, 23:58
How 'bout some coffee syrup?

Certainly! I’ll put it on my list and let you know in a pm just before I head that way.