PDA

View Full Version : Rain Man has passed away.

Ewker
08-15-2020, 21:03
Neo who use to post on here sometimes posted this on FB today.
Last night my friend also known by his trail name "Rain Man" passed away. I am really going to miss him.
Rain Man posted on here a lot and was one of the main organizers of the Backpacker meetup group in Nashville

RIP Rain Man you will be missed

u.w.
08-15-2020, 21:10
RIP Rain Man,

willin'

Tuxhiker
08-16-2020, 00:28
Sorry to hear about Rain Man.

Alligator
08-16-2020, 02:45
Sorry to hear this.

Jeff
08-16-2020, 06:49
Too young Rainman

TwoSpirits
08-16-2020, 07:51
This makes me terribly sad.

I met Rain Man about three years ago. He had reached out to me a few days before my HF to Rockfish Gap section, and we met at Blackburn Trail Center on my second day out. He was one last day from completing his 2000+ miles, and the smile on his face was epic. He listened with genuine interest to my silly chatter about those first few miles, and he treated me like an old friend.

I will miss him here.

Time Zone
08-16-2020, 07:52
Very nice fellow, generous with time and advice, humble ... he will be missed.

I'm glad he was able to complete many of his hiking goals - IIRC he LASH-ed his way to completion of the AT over 14 years ... a steady, long-term commitment of vacation time. And not long ago he hiked the John Muir Trail out west, and was pictured atop Mt. Whitney with, IIRC, an elevation sign while wearing a puffy jacket in, or course, orange.

rmitchell
08-16-2020, 08:50
Shocked and saddened to hear this.

RIP Rainman.

TOW
08-16-2020, 09:46
Wow, I did not even know he was sick. Just spoke to him not long ago. I first met Rain Man and one of his daughters when they stayed with me in 2007 and we remained friends. I visited with him a couple of times when I was traveling through Nashville. We had some conflict politically but we were solid mutually in our friendship. Yep, gonna miss arguing with this old farticus.

DownYonder
08-16-2020, 10:40
Met Rain Man last year while BPing in the GSMNP. Great guy! Condolences to his family.

Tipi Walter
08-16-2020, 12:28
Shocked of course as Rain Man and I and others pulled several backpacking trips together---

Here's a sort of photographic memorial to Mr Rain Man---

I first meet Rain Man on the top of Flats Mt in Citico wilderness as we link up to pull a Citico trip. Sarah (USMC Vet) is with us.

We pull 6.2 miles of Flats Mt and hit Beehouse Gap and take South Fork trail to enter Citico wilderness on South Fork Creek.

Rain Man on South Fork Creek---headnets are only used by Wimps---while Sarah doesn't need no stinking headnet. (And of course we never offered to share ours).

Rain Man crossing South Fork Creek.

Taking a break climbing up South Fork trail.

Rain Man pulling the tough nut up South Fork trail.

Pooped out in Cold Spring Gap after the SF climb.

Tipi Walter
08-16-2020, 12:39
PART TWO

On another trip I meet up with Randy Draper and we backpack up Kirkland Creek trail in Upper Bald River wilderness.

Kirkland pops us out on the BMT and we head north on the tough climb out of Sandy Gap and stop by this trailpost.

We approach Moss Gap on State Line Ridge/BMT and Rain Man checks out the intermittent spring source.

Rain Man and Randy with campfire in Moss Gap on BMT.

We break a real sweat going up State Line Ridge to Rocky Top Mt and along the way Patman finds us and stays with us to Brookshire Creek.

We finish State Line Ridge and drop down Brookshire Creek trail where we all have to take a break.

We reach the Brookshire Creek crossing and get this pic with the camera on the trailpost.

We get off the BMT and stay on Brookshire trail down to this CS where Rain Man builds a campfire.

Time to say goodbye to Rain Man and Patman and Randy.

So Long Rain Man.

TNhiker
08-16-2020, 13:09
I first meet Rain Man on the top of Flats Mt in Citico wilderness as we link up to pull a Citico trip. Sarah (USMC Vet) is with us.

this is where i met him as well..........

i had just gotten outta my car and heard you whooping it up coming down the trail....

kolokolo
08-16-2020, 13:42
So sorry to hear this. I never met RainMan, but always enjoyed reading his posts. His successful completion of the AT via sections over 14 years is a real encouragement to me.

XCountry
08-16-2020, 15:03
RIP Rain Man. May he and his family be in peace. Not much of a poster but if his family reads this, he brought joy to a total stranger who read his posts.

JNI64
08-16-2020, 15:17
I too have never met him, actually bumped heads with him a couple times here; all good in the woods. He's obviously very well respected in the hiking world as well as whiteblaze.we lost a true spirit of the wild ! See ya on the other side! ( RIP Rain Man) .......

Cookerhiker
08-16-2020, 15:41
I was shocked to hear this news. I first knew Rain Man through Whiteblaze and in 2011, we finally met face-to-face at Trail Days. By happenstance, I had met his daughter, Sara (Trail name Grass Picker), on her thruhike in 2004 when we shared Low Gap Shelter.

Rain Man was an avid AT section hiker and in 2017, the year he completed the Trail, I hosted and shuttled him at my home in Vermont. That was the last time I saw him.

My sympathy to his family - may he rest in peace.

tiptoe
08-16-2020, 16:21
I met Rain Man when I section-hiked southern Maine and like so many others, really enjoyed his company. Fittingly, it rained all day today in my neck of the woods, as if in tribute to this kind, thoughtful, intelligent man. I'm very sorry to learn of his passing.

bessiebreeze
08-16-2020, 17:51
Could someone please tell me what Rainman's real name is? I know his first name is Raymond, but I can't remember his last name.
I would like to look up his obituary in our newspaper.
Thanks

Traffic Jam
08-16-2020, 18:23
Very sad, he touched many lives. He was always generous with his trail knowledge, even giving me, a stranger, his phone number in case I had questions. He’ll be missed.

martinb
08-16-2020, 18:34
Did not know him but enjoyed his posts here. Condolences to his family and friends.

Cookerhiker
08-16-2020, 18:48
Could someone please tell me what Rainman's real name is? I know his first name is Raymond, but I can't remember his last name.
I would like to look up his obituary in our newspaper.
Thanks

His last name is Myers. If you find an obituary, we'd all appreciate if you could post a link to this thread. Thanks.

HooKooDooKu
08-16-2020, 19:28
Shocked and surprised to be reading this.
Always enjoyed and appreciated his posts and learned some from his experience, but sadly never got the chance to meet him.

Ewker
08-16-2020, 21:02
His last name is Myers. If you find an obituary, we'd all appreciate if you could post a link to this thread. Thanks.

I will look for it. Nothing yet

PatmanTN
08-17-2020, 07:56
Thanks for letting us know Ewker. Rain Man will be missed. He was not afraid to be his own person and had the courage of his convictions; I always admired that about him.

Gambit McCrae
08-17-2020, 08:11
So sad to hear. Rainman would periodically message me during my AT completion attempt to encourage and give valuable section hiker info. I will miss his posts and thoughtful messages. Too soon buddy

kythruhiker
08-17-2020, 09:14
Wow, really hate to hear this, always enjoyed his posts. RIP.

GreatDane
08-17-2020, 11:11
Oh, no! So very sorry to hear that. He will be greatly missed. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Lugnut
08-17-2020, 15:37
I will look for it. Nothing yet

Raymond Myers

egilbe
08-17-2020, 16:33
I met Rainman and Teacher at Caratunk B&b when we had finished our section hike 4 years ago. I was wearing an orange tee-shirt, as was Rainman and another hiker. He asked us if we were Clemson fans. It took me a moment to get what he was asking.

Rest Easy Rainman.

jimmyjam
08-17-2020, 19:59
Here is a link to an obituary post on his FB page. He was a good person and I think all who knew him will miss him. My condolences to his friends and family. https://www.facebook.com/1446771446/posts/10224685687196703/?app=fbl

Cookerhiker
08-17-2020, 21:11
For those who many be able to access the Facebook link, here's the text:

Dear friends of Raymond,

C. Raymond Myers, Jr. passed away on August 14, 2020. At his passing, he was with Jenny, his beloved wife of 45 years and trusted partner in all things, and his youngest daughter Patricia. He is also survived by his daughters Amy (Andy) and Sarah (Chris) and four doting grandchildren who adore their playful Grandpa. He is survived by his mother, Pat, and his wonderful bonus dad, Ron. His father, Charles, passed on earlier this year. From his dad, he learned to be handy and resourceful. From his mom, he learned to love fiercely, no matter our differences, and to be loyal and generous. He is the oldest of five siblings, who he loves very much and whom he loved pranking very much. He is survived by Elaine (Syd), Linda, and Paul and preceded by Phil.

Raymond loved being a parent. He was highly engaged with his daughters' education and activities. He served as president of the PTA and band boosters (a decade of Overton High School band members will remember his distinctive red hat) and led an effort before the school board to address inequity in girls' and boys' sports when his oldest daughter started running track. He provided anonymous scholarships for his daughters' classmates to participate in school activities. He encouraged (and funded) his children's travel and diverse interests. He never missed an opportunity to tell his daughters how much he loved them and how proud he was of them.

Raymond has an expansive sense of family that included 13 exchange students who he loves as his own children. He and Jenny also welcomed into their home a family who didn't have a home and several young people starting out in the world. He nurtured his daughters' love of furry family members, rescuing several cats and dogs, including his most recent dog, Boone, who he adopted immediately upon finding him abandoned in the woods.

Always one who loved nature, he and Jenny mapped caves as newlyweds, and, later, he took his children, exchange students, and Sunday School students on various camping trips. In recent years, he found his way into a wonderful community of hiking friends who knew him by his trail name Rain Man. He completed all of the AT and John Muir trail and organized many hikes and kayaking camping trips, a source of great joy.

Raymond was also engaged in his much-loved church family, serving his church, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, in a number of capacities, including as First Reader (conducting the services) and chair of the board.

As an attorney, he cared deeply about his clients and was known to accept payment in firewood. He served as president of the Williamson County Bar Association and did significant pro bono work. He is a outspoken feminist and antiracist and actively supported liberation for marginalized communities.

He was raised in Powdersville, South Carolina and graduated from Wren High School. And, as everyone who knows Raymond is well aware, he was a proud Clemson alumnus. Go Tigers!

Raymond is generous and spirituality-minded, and he exemplifies integrity. He will be remembered as a loving father, husband, son, brother, neighbor, and friend.

We will announce details of a memorial service soon. In lieu of flowers, donations in his honor may be made to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (https://appalachiantrail.org/ (https://appalachiantrail.org/?fbclid=IwAR1Dkw2PYgFzzQjIF6RKE9lEa5dXDK0gmIuSd0Th DUgkK2elehzEr-v1aL4)) or his church, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, Nashville, TN (https://christiansciencenashville.org/ (https://christiansciencenashville.org/?fbclid=IwAR30mrB7hXJZID_bIIRbcsdtV2efvtT5EVpVPifg Odzv1huMkBqZLsBC_AM)).

Tennessee Viking
08-18-2020, 09:03
Rain Man was always a hoot to chat with on here. Great resource for hiking. Had the pleasure of a quick meet up with him at US421 years back on his section hike to Damascus.

Ewker
08-18-2020, 12:22
Cookerhiker, thanks for posting that. I didn't get on Facebook yesterday. I have looked for an obituary in the newspaper but couldn't find one. Maybe they used Facebook instead.

Grumpy_Gus
08-19-2020, 00:01
I hiked with Rain Man several times with the Nashville Backpacking group. He was always patient with new hikers, a true teacher. Generous with his time and extra gear, and I remember he enjoyed quizzing people on state capitols on the drive to the trailhead. I knew he was a special gentleman from our conversations, but reading his obit shows how generous he really was.

Sad to hear the news, but happy he completed his AT hike before this happened. Hope his family sees the comments that have been shared.

Cookerhiker
12-02-2020, 22:16
Rain Man's family has planned a memorial celebration via Zoom for this Saturday afternoon, December 6. Note that the time of 3 PM is Central Time. Here are the details.

Dear Friends of Raymond,

You are warmly invited to a virtual celebration of the life of Raymond Myers
(https://www.facebook.com/raymond.myers1?__cft__[0]=AZXoonPN7azI7AacTEk3WrAH5cUZ-hd_KAOKqwMOXaKqdUkStMITN2vhurc2ZT6kx5FHUdzJ64SleIF wOvxREwsbHZHXGAgx_KyDUjrbyUrt6S_QAW8gFG0Gc4XjhcQDI 2c&__tn__=-]K-R) to be held on Zoom on Sunday, Dec 6th at 3:00 pm Central Time (U.S.). The link is below.

We will begin the celebration with a recording of the family-only memorial service held in September. There will also be time for sharing your memories and comments about Raymond/Rainman. (Please keep comments and stories to under 2 minutes.) If you prefer to share your comments directly with our family or to have someone else read them during the service, please send them to Raymond's FB account via messenger or to [email protected].

We look forward to seeing you and hearing your remarks.

With love,
Jenny Myers, Amy Myers, Sarah Sampas, and Patricia Myers

Time: Dec 6, 2020 03:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85864604995... (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85864604995?pwd=dk5TVFhJUXRCOFpoVmZXdytMUFJTZz09&fbclid=IwAR1yZLmr5LOwTOSW9kVrFXZ1MROE-L4SFdXSM4DTpCS-z-wG0Uz-R7C6qMY)

Meeting ID: 858 6460 4995
Passcode: 980191

or

Dial by your location
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington D.C)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

Gambit McCrae
12-03-2020, 09:10
Rain Man's family has planned a memorial celebration via Zoom for this Saturday afternoon, December 6. Note that the time of 3 PM is Central Time. Here are the details.

Dear Friends of Raymond,

You are warmly invited to a virtual celebration of the life of Raymond Myers
(https://www.facebook.com/raymond.myers1?__cft__[0]=AZXoonPN7azI7AacTEk3WrAH5cUZ-hd_KAOKqwMOXaKqdUkStMITN2vhurc2ZT6kx5FHUdzJ64SleIF wOvxREwsbHZHXGAgx_KyDUjrbyUrt6S_QAW8gFG0Gc4XjhcQDI 2c&__tn__=-]K-R) to be held on Zoom on Sunday, Dec 6th at 3:00 pm Central Time (U.S.). The link is below.

We will begin the celebration with a recording of the family-only memorial service held in September. There will also be time for sharing your memories and comments about Raymond/Rainman. (Please keep comments and stories to under 2 minutes.) If you prefer to share your comments directly with our family or to have someone else read them during the service, please send them to Raymond's FB account via messenger or to [email protected].

We look forward to seeing you and hearing your remarks.

With love,
Jenny Myers, Amy Myers, Sarah Sampas, and Patricia Myers

Time: Dec 6, 2020 03:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85864604995... (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85864604995?pwd=dk5TVFhJUXRCOFpoVmZXdytMUFJTZz09&fbclid=IwAR1yZLmr5LOwTOSW9kVrFXZ1MROE-L4SFdXSM4DTpCS-z-wG0Uz-R7C6qMY)

or

Dial by your location
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington D.C)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

Thanks for sharing. Just to clarify, the beginning states staturday in 1 line and sunday in another.

CalebJ
12-03-2020, 09:34
If you click the meeting link, it comes up as being scheduled for 12/6 at 4pm (EST), so it's definitely on Sunday.

Cookerhiker
12-03-2020, 15:13
My mistake! Thanks for clarifying.

4shot
01-16-2021, 18:35
I don't visit here much anymore so I am just now seeing this. I went to a few of his hiker dinners and get togethers in Nashville and a hang or two with him and Neo. This gentleman was a first class human being and represented all that was good in the hiking community. RIP, friend. You are and will be missed.

shelb
01-16-2021, 18:42
During "Covid," I have not been here much. Rainman gave me much valued advise about 10 years ago on where to take my then 10 & 12 year old sons to hike our first AT section. He lit a fire under us! My condolences to his family and friends....

Five Tango
01-17-2021, 16:54
I believe this would be the obituary notice in question.My condonlences to the family,he was obviously a good man and will be missed.
https://www.tba.org/?pg=LawBlog&blAction=showEntry&blogEntry=56743

SAWNIE
01-18-2021, 12:45
Rain Man's greatest joy even more than his hikes was his family. He loved and lived his pride in his daughters. He was a great supporter of his hiking friends at Nashville too. He and his wife Stitches (or Stitch? It always was hard for me to remember which) are still a special, warm memory. In 2010 I was preparing for a thru attempt when he contacted me about a shuttle for the whole family over the 2009? Thanksgiving weekend. That led to my driving their huge, heavy Lincoln? Cadillac? which they had somehow inherited. It was drizzly and lightly snowing as I crept down to my home at Sugar Grove after leaving them at Massie Gap. A couple of nights later they appeared in my back yard after having abandoned the rest of their planned hike for safety reasons. Later they hosted me for the night before my early morning flight to Austin to take my middle daughter for a weekend at Rockport on the Gulf of Mexico. Their home was beautiful, his computer home office well appointed, their
breakfast filling. Thank you, Rain Man and family. He was a treasure to the hiking community as well as you.