PDA

View Full Version : Lurkers?

JNI64
08-20-2020, 01:06
so l'm up late again along with the trolls and the crickets.... and just noticing the Replies to views ratio. For instance the "Hiking in the heat " thread there is 3,735 views and 51 Replies. And the "what do I do if I see a bear "thread there is 3,894 views and 76 Replies. I wish more folks would offer their opinions objectively or subjectively..

HankIV
08-20-2020, 06:39
I know I come back multiple times to a thread, pre- & post-reply, to see how the conversation is progressing. Does that sort of thing add multiple views?

Mikerfixit
08-20-2020, 07:07
I don't always have something to add to the threads that I read. Often, someone has already mentioned an idea or opinion similar to mine so I don't feel a need to add any salt to the soup.

I also don't feel the need to clutter a thread with comments that don't add anything or might derail from the discussion. I don't need to say "I read this" just for the sake of making noise.

illabelle
08-20-2020, 07:59
Long ago, soon after I joined WB, I started a discussion that touched on similar things. Why so many views, but so few replies? Why do some members rarely post? Why are there so many inactive members? Does everybody leave after they finish the AT or whatever their goal is? etc etc. So many things to ponder in the quiet hours of the night!

Some people are shy, just wanna read, not contribute. Or maybe they shared their thoughts a time or two and got bit by a gruff response.

Some "views" aren't really people at all, I'm told. They're "bots" which I gather are electronic data gatherers. Not sure if they're harmless or not...

I enjoy the give and take, the sharing of information and insight, the encouragement to newbies and oldies alike. Even if we never meet face to face, this is a community of sorts, with common experiences and interests. When someone drops out, either through death or disinterest, we often see a ripple (as with the recent loss of Rain Man.)

Some threads are rambles, essentially social in nature, small talk. If the topic is interesting and I have something to say, I might join in. Others are straightforward with information/opinion regarding specific trail questions. For those, I don't want to clutter the thread if I'm not contributing any value.

Occasionally I'll give a light boost to a thread that has zero or few responses, just to encourage the poster that WB is a friendly place.

Enough rambling... I gotta get to work!

Pringles
08-20-2020, 08:17
I’ve been a member since 2004, or so. I think I’ve got only about 5-600 posts. I read Whiteblaze most every day. My saying, “Yeah, what he said,” doesn’t substantively add to the discussion, so I read what others have posted and drift away. Maybe we should be thankful for those that don’t add to the noise. As Lonewolf says, “It’s just walking.” There may not be that much to add to the discussion.

rhjanes
08-20-2020, 10:51
Bots Bots Bots...and Spiders...

Click on the tab for "Forum", scroll to the bottom. When I just checked it, there were 35 of us on the entire forum. And 687!!!!! "Guest". Those are bots, spiders, Google looking to see what other goods and services it should be offering to each of us....

So I would conclude a large number of "views" are not people at all.

Old Grouse
08-20-2020, 10:53
For some reason the website sometimes fails to recognize me and I have to log in again. Sometimes I don't bother but then, when I decide to add a comment, I have to first log in and then go back to the thread, thus visiting twice. In fact it happened just now.

JNI64
08-20-2020, 10:57
Bots Bots Bots...and Spiders...

Click on the tab for "Forum", scroll to the bottom. When I just checked it, there were 35 of us on the entire forum. And 687!!!!! "Guest". Those are bots, spiders, Google looking to see what other goods and services it should be offering to each of us....

So I would conclude a large number of "views" are not people at all.

Wow! This is crazy! But I suppose spot on. They're always watching :-?!

Alligator
08-20-2020, 11:49
so l'm up late again along with the trolls and the crickets.... and just noticing the Replies to views ratio. For instance the "Hiking in the heat " thread there is 3,735 views and 51 Replies. And the "what do I do if I see a bear "thread there is 3,894 views and 76 Replies. I wish more folks would offer their opinions objectively or subjectively..When that ratio goes up it points to an active thread generally. The views go up faster than the number of posts. There are about 30 people who have posted into the the thread. So if those 30 people reread the thread after someone posts that's up to 30 x 50 rereads which counts as a a view. There is a fair share of lurkers, think the split between introverts and extroverts, and they may be rereading. Some folks my find the topic interesting but not have anything to add as someone already said what they might say or they are a new hiker.

There's also 54 bots and spiders crawling the forum as I write this post. Sorry arachnophobics and robophobics:eek:!

Alligator
08-20-2020, 11:52
For some reason the website sometimes fails to recognize me and I have to log in again. Sometimes I don't bother but then, when I decide to add a comment, I have to first log in and then go back to the thread, thus visiting twice. In fact it happened just now.One reason could be your browser is set to clear your cookies but I also think I saw a different reason mentioned recently and if I find it I will message you about it.

Alligator
08-20-2020, 11:55
One reason could be your browser is set to clear your cookies but I also think I saw a different reason mentioned recently and if I find it I will message you about it.This was the thread https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/136488-Always-Getting-Logged-Out

JNI64
08-20-2020, 11:59
Thank you Gator for all this insight.

Alligator
08-20-2020, 12:16
Thank you Gator for all this insight.Ah I was mainly summing up what others wrote.

Old Grouse
08-20-2020, 14:34
One reason could be your browser is set to clear your cookies but I also think I saw a different reason mentioned recently and if I find it I will message you about it.

Thank you. It occurs on multiple devices.

Five Tango
08-21-2020, 07:44
Wow! This is crazy! But I suppose spot on. They're always watching :-?!

Let's not forget that they are also listening.Wife and I had a discussion about who made those mountain bikes we bot in the 80's.
Shortly thereafter she gets Schwinn bike ad on FB.

NY HIKER 50
08-21-2020, 08:54
I lead walks and I have noticed that many of the E-mails to me are from Google bots. They all start the same and one said I can't find the location on Google maps. I replied that if you have legs you should go there and report back to me. The replies went dead. A few days ago I got another one (these are all from Gmail) and I said nice try Gbot.

Lugnut
08-21-2020, 09:51
I confess. I’m a lurker. My posts to years membership ratio is pretty low.

JNI64
08-21-2020, 10:46

Confessions are so good for the soul ! Thank you!

Cookerhiker
08-21-2020, 11:07
When I first bring up WhiteBlaze (which is rare these days), I browse "Today's Posts" and "New Posts" first. If I'm interested in a thread, I'll click on it and scroll down. I'll only log in if I want to comment.

DripDry
08-21-2020, 11:38
Agreed- I only log in if I want to post (which is rare)

BillyGr
08-21-2020, 15:00
When that ratio goes up it points to an active thread generally. The views go up faster than the number of posts. There are about 30 people who have posted into the the thread. So if those 30 people reread the thread after someone posts that's up to 30 x 50 rereads which counts as a a view. There is a fair share of lurkers, think the split between introverts and extroverts, and they may be rereading. Some folks my find the topic interesting but not have anything to add as someone already said what they might say or they are a new hiker.

One other thought - does each page count as a view? That is this post now has 2 pages, so if open Page 2, then go back to Page 1 (since I likely didn't read all the posts there that occurred previously), does that count as one or two views? If 2, that could up numbers quickly on the longer posts where you might have a couple/several pages of replies to read each day.

Alligator
08-21-2020, 16:07
One other thought - does each page count as a view? That is this post now has 2 pages, so if open Page 2, then go back to Page 1 (since I likely didn't read all the posts there that occurred previously), does that count as one or two views? If 2, that could up numbers quickly on the longer posts where you might have a couple/several pages of replies to read each day.Not sure but I am testing it, hence the note. If you repeatedly open a thread the view count will go up. Page size can be set by the user so I would think you might want to ignore a page turn in the thread but I don't know if that is the case. View counts don't update automatically though, there's a lag set to avoid taxing resources so I have a thread marked to test.

Note-Members 416

Traveler
08-22-2020, 06:37
"Those who lurk also learn"

Participating in a discussion is not necessary to get the benefit of usable information. Perhaps the best example is Wikipedia, many people contribute to topics on that site, though most use it as a reference source. There are not many sources of hiking/backpacking information for our community that are as robust and timely at the level of White Blaze. I would suggest this site has probably saved many folks from a miserable time, perhaps actually saving a life or two with the information found here.

Rare is the opportunity to thank those who created this wonderful site and keep it running, the moderators (who's patience far exceeds mine), and all who simply read through the posts or participate in these conversations, from whom I have learned much. A very unique intersection of like minded people. Thank you White Blaze!

kythruhiker
08-22-2020, 08:21
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to lurk I go...

Puddlefish
08-22-2020, 09:10
I have a theory, based on multiple forums I've been part of, it's by no means specific to WB. It's tough to break into a new website as a new user and be accepted.

- Most sites already have an "in crowd" that seems to know each other. It can be tough for new members to be brave enough to intrude on what they see as a private conversation among friends.
- There's always a cantankerous few, who attack entire generations, rather than debating a specific behavior. They might even get cranky if someone repeats a question that was clearly addressed five years ago. That's not a great way to encouraging growth of conversation.
- Moderators who will smash any agenda but their own. I actually love the balance that WBs moderators show, it's a big part of why I've stuck around.

These are just some of the intentional/unintentional reasons I believe (my opinion) gave a chilling effect on more members commenting.

Some personal reasons I don't respond, I've seen no patterns, it's just me.

- I get unreasonably annoyed when people post self promotional links to their youtube channel/blog AND they don't respond to conversation.
- The local experts have already given better advice than I could give. While I live in NH, I'm by no means an expert on NH trails, and and I'm just happy to read what those folks have to say on the topics about NH trails to better plan my trips.

atraildreamer
08-22-2020, 15:31
I never post unless I have something brilliant to add!:-?:D:banana:banana:banana:banana

SoaknWet
08-22-2020, 16:43
Me too, This is not a post.

JNI64
08-22-2020, 18:24

I confess. I post to much and don't lurk enough. Ahh that felt good.

JNI64
08-22-2020, 18:46
"Those who lurk also learn"

Participating in a discussion is not necessary to get the benefit of usable information. Perhaps the best example is Wikipedia, many people contribute to topics on that site, though most use it as a reference source. There are not many sources of hiking/backpacking information for our community that are as robust and timely at the level of White Blaze. I would suggest this site has probably saved many folks from a miserable time, perhaps actually saving a life or two with the information found here.

Rare is the opportunity to thank those who created this wonderful site and keep it running, the moderators (who's patience far exceeds mine), and all who simply read through the posts or participate in these conversations, from whom I have learned much. A very unique intersection of like minded people. Thank you White Blaze!

+100% concur with this :clap thank you White Blaze!