PDA

View Full Version : NEW Hiker Hostel not in Book FOR '06

galaleemc
03-19-2006, 14:48
Hello Everyone

My husband and I have opened our 1800 Sq Ft Vacation Rental Home as a Hiker Hostel.

Cloud9 is twelve acres in Heaven Hiawassee GA a part of the Upper Hightower Trout Farm. We are 1.5 miles from the AT on highway 76 - east towards Hiawassee.

Our policy is first come, first served. Rates start at $20 per night, per person.

We provide coffee, oat meal (for you to cook), and bananas. We have a small amount of food/provisions for sale. One pound of frozen smoked trout is $20. vacuum packed.

We have a jacuzzi, pool and ping-pong tables for use. Sheet - towel - and laundry for $5. each.

Please look at our website and link to VRBO for more information.

We would love to have you as our guests, and treat everyone like our best friends. Well behaved Dogs are welcome too.

You never know what you might find here!

Laura and Frank
:welcome :welcome

tiamalle
03-19-2006, 20:37
Hello Everyone

My husband and I have opened our 1800 Sq Ft Vacation Rental Home as a Hiker Hostel.

Cloud9 is twelve acres in Heaven Hiawassee GA a part of the Upper Hightower Trout Farm. We are 1.5 miles from the AT on highway 76 - east towards Hiawassee.

Our policy is first come, first served. Rates start at $20 per night, per person.

We provide coffee, oat meal (for you to cook), and bananas. We have a small amount of food/provisions for sale. One pound of frozen smoked trout is $20. vacuum packed.

We have a jacuzzi, pool and ping-pong tables for use. Sheet - towel - and laundry for $5. each.

Please look at our website and link to VRBO for more information.

We would love to have you as our guests, and treat everyone like our best friends. Well behaved Dogs are welcome too.

You never know what you might find here!

Laura and Frank
:welcome :welcomeI'll vouch it is a beautiful place.

neo
03-19-2006, 21:12
wow,thats awesome:cool: neo

Mother Nature
03-19-2006, 21:25
I have a question as to location. I travel this section frequently going to Upper Hightower Road to reach our trail maintenance section at Blue Ridge Gap.

I am somewhat confused reading your directions and I want to be sure to pass along this information to as many hikers as possible.

Your statement above says you are 1.5 miles east of the AT. What trailhead of the AT does this refer to? Dicks Creek Gap or Blue Ridge Gap?
It seems to me that I have seen the trout farm between Dicks Creek Gap and Upper Hightower Road which would be west of the AT if you are heading to Hiawassee.

Thanks and again Good Luck with the new hostel! We will visit so we can pass along the good news!

Mother Nature

tiamalle
03-19-2006, 22:11
I have a question as to location. I travel this section frequently going to Upper Hightower Road to reach our trail maintenance section at Blue Ridge Gap.

I am somewhat confused reading your directions and I want to be sure to pass along this information to as many hikers as possible.

Your statement above says you are 1.5 miles east of the AT. What trailhead of the AT does this refer to? Dicks Creek Gap or Blue Ridge Gap?
It seems to me that I have seen the trout farm between Dicks Creek Gap and Upper Hightower Road which would be west of the AT if you are heading to Hiawassee.

Thanks and again Good Luck with the new hostel! We will visit so we can pass along the good news!

Mother NatureMother Nature it is just at the bottom of the hill from
Dicks Creek Crossing on the left heading toward Hiawassee

galaleemc
03-19-2006, 22:31
Yes....we are WEST of the AT towards Hiawassee.

Right now we have a "U-Catch" sign out front that is black and white.

We have a new sign being installed soon that will have Upper Hightower Trout Farm on it. (by a former Disney artist)

We have a full house tonight, and we just finished a grilled trout dinner with a blue hubbard squash stuffed with cranberries, raisins, celery, pecans, apples, and onions, with a green salad. Desert was blueberries, peaches and cranberries over vanilla ice cream served in front of our fire pit.

Some of the guys say they will be staying over again - the weather doesn't look good.

Rain Man
03-19-2006, 22:33
Mother Nature it is just at the bottom of the hill from
Dicks Creek Crossing on the left heading toward Hiawassee

Then that would be WEST of the AT, wouldn't it???

Rain:sunMan

galaleemc
03-19-2006, 23:22
Yes West

Sorry for confusion

bigben
03-20-2006, 20:44
Laura, I sent you an e-mail earlier. I am very interested in staying at your place, probably with a few friends, after a week on the trail May 18th. Get back with me at your earliest convenience.

Bigben

galaleemc
03-23-2006, 20:47
Big Ben is booked on the 18th and will want some other hikers in the hostel for that evening.

Tonight's menu:

Trout (duh) sauteed cabbage and onions, HOMEMADE macaroni and cheese.
Thanks to Norma Jean for helping in the kitchen!

Five hikers here tonight and friends from Jax 14 total!

The fire pit is calling.......Laura

khaynie
03-24-2006, 19:59
Hey, we own a piece of mountain property off of Upper Hightower Road. We're on top of Old Knell Knob if you know where that is...I believe it's in a picture on your home page under the heading "Why are we so unique."

My wife and I will definitley be stopping by to say hey. It's awesome you guys are operating a hostel there. But I have two questions:

1) Are you planning on shuttling people all the way into Hiawasse for resupply?

2) Will you be offering internet services?

galaleemc
03-24-2006, 22:00
Hi Khaynie

Right now we are NOT offering shuttle service. We go up to the trail through out the day to check to see if anyone wants a ride to our place.
IF we are going into town we do the same - regardless of where someone wants to stay (we have dropped off lots of folks at BB patch & Holiday Inn) What ever they want. We may eventually charge and very nominal fee.

The photo is on the south side of 76 west towards Swallows Creek...there is a lot of homes going up near there right now - it is the place the has lots of brown fencing around it.....it is actually two doors down from us. I can hear the hammering a bit.

I am not exactly sure of your place, I do drive up there and look around some. Lots of growth your way too. Stop by some time and say HI....anytime trout sign has open sign up - or you see us in the yard. We have a new sign coming soon that will have the trout farms full name on it...."Upper Hightower Trout Farm", by a former Disney Artist! You will definitely notice it. We are excited about it and our new endeavor with Cloud9.

We are having a blast. No one wants to leave!

Tonight for dinner we had....guess?........Trout that was even better than last night! Hand made Gnocchi (by Single Malt, Norma Jean) with a salad and home made dressing. Everyone in the house pitched in....tonight we had 7 for dinner.

We will also NOT be doing dinner EVERY NIGHT, but the kitchen is fully equipped and we will also sell some food (to cook and supply) so folks don't necessarily have to go to town right away.

We eventually will have internet in Cloud9, but right now we are allowing folks to come over to our house and use it.

We are charging everyone $20 per night, that includes free JACUZZI, one laundry load, whatever is left over from other hikers, coffee, Oatmeal (which I got feedback tonight - no one wants, because they have too much of it on the trail!) house towels, Linens are $5. per bed. Fuel for stoves....I am tired, so I am forgetting some things.

We sure hope this weather lightens up for hikers

Take care, come by! Bring your kids if you have them.
Laura

khaynie
03-24-2006, 22:19
Well, we don't have kids. But we'll definitely stop by the next time we're up that way.

Sounds like you have a great place! Again, it's awesome you're offering your services to the hikers!

bigben
03-24-2006, 23:24
Like she said, if you're in the area May18th, come on down! We'll probably even have room for a couple in the car. We're finishing our section from Amicalola to Neel's Gap and driving up for the night(it's kinda on the way back to Ohio). I can't think of a better way to end a hard week on the trail than with fishing, a jacuzzi, and maybe a cold one. That is, except with another 5 months on the trail. Unfortunately, that'll have to wait.

Bigben

Nearly Normal
03-25-2006, 10:15
Passed by last Sat after coming off at Dick's Creek. Lots of folks fishing.
pete

galaleemc
03-25-2006, 10:37
Pete

Stop by even if you just want to "browse" and say HI.

We had 10 BOY SCOUTS here that day with their Leaders and Parents. It was great fun and we could hardly walk by the end of the day, going up and down the hill all day chasing after those boys! Now I know how the hikers feel :p . Frank was brilliant the way he taught them to tie hooks. They all caught fish. Three of them caught 9 pounders that day.

Look for our new sign soon.

Laura Cloud9

galaleemc
03-27-2006, 18:46
We will have limited work/trade/stay.

But I am warning you it will be manual labor, digging and pulling weeds, weed eating, raking, cutting wood, stacking it, moving rocks, painting, digging up beds, etc.

Consider if you can do this after a day of hiking?

Laura