PDA

View Full Version : Hike from I40 -Standing Bear to Hot Springs at end of August 2020

steady123
08-21-2020, 14:20
I plan to hike from the I40 overpass (Standing Bear) to Hot Springs. Anyone have recent issues with water availability and/or bear activity.

Thanks

Steady

Mr. Bumpy
08-22-2020, 00:37
Water is too available around here lately. I'd wait a month. Seriously.

Venchka
08-22-2020, 08:19
Yep! Northwest North Carolina is totally soggy right now.
And if the two Tropical Storms headed northwest across the Gulf drift northeast after making landfall you might need a life raft.
Wayne

flemdawg1
08-24-2020, 10:59
I did it it a little over a year ago and there was a problem bear staying near Standing Bear. Walked within 30 ft of him and he didn't move.

Gambit McCrae
08-24-2020, 11:13
Very hot very muggy, low water, overgrown trail in places. That sums it up. I would wait till october if you can

msellers30
09-29-2020, 16:58
I realize this was a request for conditions in August, but I just hiked this section last weekend (9/25 - 9/28). Weather was fantastic, water was plentiful, no bears or evidence of bears was seen. I stayed at a couple of tent sites and one night at Roaring Fork shelter. If I had to find a downside, it was that the trail was pretty overgrown. Still a good trip. I highly recommend the Guthook app for info on water sources.

steady123
10-13-2020, 16:48
Just finished hike from I40 to Hot Springs. Hike from I40 to Snowbird Peak was mostly strenuous, sometimes arduous. Strenuous is when you are huffing and puffing but perservere. Arduous is when you have to stop and catch your breath. Great view. Groundhog Creek Shelter is minimal. Not level. I slept on the level part. My buddy slept at the bottom of the "V". Sounds of mice crunching during the night. I heard from several sources that bears were active at the beginning of October in the tenting area. We uploaded everything to the cables. No sign of bear. Max Patch on the next day was mostly clean. A few sites have trash. We did a pickup. Roaring Fork Shelter OK. Water.... High School Kids at tent sites. Actually hike was fairly easy. Spent the night around Phil's Gap. Plenty of sites. Made it to laughing Heart Shelter before a big rain. Highly recommend. We trained for this. Thoroughly enjoyable. Trees now changing colors. Hot Springs great as usual. Recommend Iron Horse Inn.