PDA

View Full Version : svea 123 fuel

strollin
08-22-2020, 20:44
Has anyone tried coleman gas in a svea? The performance was? Thanks

Pheral
08-22-2020, 21:28
I've used it for years - works great, and it's what you should be using. I"m not sure what other fuel you would consider.

Venchka
08-22-2020, 22:42
I've used it for years - works great, and it's what you should be using. I"m not sure what other fuel you would consider.
Ditto. Since the early 70s.
Wayne

Pheral
08-23-2020, 06:31
Nice to know I'm not alone. I have an MSR, but I still love and use my Svea regularly.

Venchka
08-23-2020, 10:43
Don’t we all have too many stoves?
My favorites run on white gas.
Wayne

Kaptainkriz
08-23-2020, 10:45
Yep, what the others have said. Coleman Fuel (White Gas / Naphtha) is what it is supposed to burn. I love the stove, works great. Most of the time these days I'm using alcohol...every now and then in winter I break out the 123.

Time Zone
08-23-2020, 18:16
Is the SVEA 123/R still being produced and distributed in the USA? [Aside from potential knockoffs at the river site? Looking for official distribution]

Pheral
08-23-2020, 20:14
To the best of my knowledge the Svea 123Rs were never made in the U.S. I have one of the newer ones, and while I don't still have the box, I'm reasonably certain it was made in China. With that said, it works fine and has never given me any problems and is the one I still take regularly on overnight hikes. If you want authenticity, you can still find the original 123s, though it's getting harder (and particularly ones with the original key). I have two of these, and if kept in good shape and maintenance is performed, they work as if new. BTW I couldn't find anything on the Optimus site about where they're made. Maybe someone else knows more, and I'll be happy to stand corrected.

atraildreamer
08-24-2020, 12:37
I had an Optimus 8-R Hunter, which I believe was made by Svea. Coleman Fuel was recommended, but I used to burn Amoco unleaded "white gas", as it was advertised way back when, and I never had any problems. I don't know what the 10% ethanol blend they sell today would do in a Svea.

peakbagger
08-24-2020, 13:31
Here is the history of Svea. Made in Sweden for decades. When I was in scouts long ago, someone got a good deal on SVEA stoves that turned out to be Soviet knock offs

There used to be large kerosene models.

rickb
08-24-2020, 20:34
Has anyone tried coleman gas in a svea? The performance was? Thanks

Yup.

Inside the stove and on top of it.

Superb performance — but not a good way way to make friends if you are an early rising shelter dweller who starts their day with hot coffee.

zelph
08-24-2020, 22:11
Does the 123 have to be primed and does the fuel have an odor?

Venchka
08-24-2020, 22:58
Does the 123 have to be primed and does the fuel have an odor?
I have primed in cold weather with the same fuel in the stove’s fuel tank. Years ago I had the good sense to purchase the SVEA pump and pump compatible fuel tank lid. Press pump on the lid. 5 strokes. Open fuel valve. Watch fuel flow into the priming fuel recess area on the fuel tank. Close valve to prevent spilling fuel over the tank. Light priming fuel. Let burn until the flame is almost exhausted. Open fuel valve again. Stove ignited!
The above process takes longer to tell than to do. Any flammable liquid could be carefully dispensed in the correct location to prime the stove. Alcohol even. I don’t know if it’s still available, but there used to be a Sterno type paste fuel packaged in a tube like toothpaste. Very easy to use.
White gas has been around since forever and used in countless stoves, lanterns, heaters, etc. I’ve never noticed an objectionable order. But my sniffer isn’t of Bloodhound quality.
The SVEA 123 and all of it’s siblings and knockoffs have been around since forever. They work. They are easily repaired with a few spare parts that I always carry. But I haven’t needed to use the parts.
The Primus and Optimus Multi Fuel Expedition stoves use a burner similar to the SVEA 123 and burn white gas, kerosene and diesel with the correct nozzle or standard ISO Butane canisters through the white gas orifice.
All of the above is explained better than I can at countless web sites online.
Just don’t try to use one on a nylon tent floor!!!! The entire stove gets very warm.
Wayne

Venchka
08-24-2020, 23:05
Is the SVEA 123/R still being produced and distributed in the USA? [Aside from potential knockoffs at the river site? Looking for official distribution]
A Google search turns up a bewildering array of vendors.
Wayne

zelph
08-25-2020, 00:14
Thank you Wayne for the information. http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/images/smilies/dblthumb2.gif

CalebJ
08-25-2020, 02:29
The above process takes longer to tell than to do. Any flammable liquid could be carefully dispensed in the correct location to prime the stove. Alcohol even. I don’t know if it’s still available, but there used to be a Sterno type paste fuel packaged in a tube like toothpaste. Very easy to use.
The paste is still around:
https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-8607-Fire-Paste/dp/B000QJFKIM/

Venchka
08-25-2020, 13:19
Thanks CalebJ. That’s good to know.
Since I own both the original SVEA and the modern, updated Primus (both require priming) the tube of priming paste would be very handy!
Wayne

CalebJ
08-25-2020, 13:21
For what it's worth, I might use a dropper bottle with alcohol or white gas in it next time I dig mine out. Seems simpler, but either option would work just fine.

Venchka
08-25-2020, 14:14
For what it's worth, I might use a dropper bottle with alcohol or white gas in it next time I dig mine out. Seems simpler, but either option would work just fine.
Just an educated guess:
Alcohol might be safer. With lots of POISON markings! I forgot to mention the dropper bottle for priming.
I think I need to have a stove day on the back porch. Fall is just around the corner.
Wayne

mark schofield
08-25-2020, 14:58
For my old SVEA, I bought a priming pump.The original fuel cap is replaced with a same size adaptpr cap which has a small nipple for the pump. Preasuerize the stove and tur it on foe a few seconds, and the fuel squirts out into the well

mark schofield
08-25-2020, 15:00
For my old SVEA, I bought a priming pump.The original fuel cap is replaced with a same size adapter cap which has a small nipple for the pump. Preasuerize the stove and turn it on for a few seconds, and the fuel squirts out into the well.
https://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Primus-stove-mini-pumps/dp/B012I4L5TK

zelph
08-25-2020, 15:27
Having to prime a 123 type stove makes me think of this video:

https://youtu.be/90hsmfBwkyU

k2basecamp
08-25-2020, 16:22
Still quieter than an MSR G/K stove in the morning🙀

Yup.

Inside the stove and on top of it.

Superb performance — but not a good way way to make friends if you are an early rising shelter dweller who starts their day with hot coffee.

Five Tango
08-25-2020, 18:03
I saw someone on You Tube that wired a piece of carbon felt onto the primer pan area to hold the fuel and burn a little better perhaps.I have the pump but an eyedropper or a soda straw weighs considerably less.Paste works and I suppose one could actually prime with alcohol fuel as well.Coleman fuel is recommended and my particular unit has the built in cleaner needle for the jet which is handy.

It was a Very Exciting event when some old person used his pump the first time,over pumping the tank,and putting on quite the pyrotechnics display before being able to get the valve closed after dropping the key in all that excitement........:eek:

Venchka
08-25-2020, 19:06
If one follows Colin Fletcher’s SVEA care and handling routine in his early books the pump or auxiliary heat aren’t required in warm weather.
He did do a lot of his treks in various deserts.
Wayne

Five Tango
08-25-2020, 19:06
This gentleman made an omelette in a bag with his SVEA 123 R. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xxub3U9gww

Odd Man Out
08-25-2020, 19:16
I seem to recall having an on line conversation with someone who burned regular gasoline's in his Svea. Am I imagining that?

Five Tango
08-25-2020, 19:36
I managed to find the felt mod video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyzFO06ZLQI

JNI64
08-25-2020, 19:48
I seem to recall having an on line conversation with someone who burned regular gasoline's in his Svea. Am I imagining that?
I think I seen syntax 77 do that in one of his videos

JNI64
08-25-2020, 19:50
I saw someone on You Tube that wired a piece of carbon felt onto the primer pan area to hold the fuel and burn a little better perhaps.I have the pump but an eyedropper or a soda straw weighs considerably less.Paste works and I suppose one could actually prime with alcohol fuel as well.Coleman fuel is recommended and my particular unit has the built in cleaner needle for the jet which is handy.

It was a Very Exciting event when some old person used his pump the first time,over pumping the tank,and putting on quite the pyrotechnics display before being able to get the valve closed after dropping the key in all that excitement........:eek:

if only this very Exciting event were filmed lol.

4eyedbuzzard
08-25-2020, 20:15
I seem to recall having an on line conversation with someone who burned regular gasoline's in his Svea. Am I imagining that?No. It was somewhat common practice years ago. While it was cheaper, the problem was that auto gas would create deposits in the burner orifice and generator, requiring more frequent cleaning and often leading to stove failure in the field. Stove fuel (Coleman Fuel) is pretty much pure "light naphtha", like a heavier blend of Zippo lighter fluid. It doesn't have a lot of additives, so it burns cleaner at the lower pressures and temperatures stoves are designed to operate at. Auto gas on the other hand has a lot more stuff in it that doesn't burn off cleanly in a stove and/or produces noxious fumes as it's formulated to burn when highly atomized and then compressed in an engine. In the old days tetraethyl lead was a common antiknock compound, but when burned released lead compounds (not good to breathe). Then MTBE was added for a while to increase oxygen in gas but it was another product you didn't want to inhale the fumes from. Modern fuels contain roughly 10% ethanol. The ethanol will attack the o-rings and other plastic/rubber parts of the stove. For example, the stuff ruins the carburetors on two cycle engines like weed whackers and such after a few years. Auto gas also tends to be corrosive to many of the materials stove tanks and stove fuel lines are constructed from. Can you use it? Sure, short term. Long term, you're going to be cleaning the stove more, inhaling worse combustion byproducts than you get from Coleman fuel, and probably ultimately have the stove fail requiring a major rebuild.

Venchka
08-25-2020, 20:15
I think I seen syntax 77 do that in one of his videos
Amoco Unleaded Premium gasoline.
Back in the dark ages an uncle of mine used the Amoco gas in alll of his Coleman stoves, lanterns, etc. I think the attraction was the lower cost compared to Coleman Stove Fuel.
Fast forward. Has anyone seen an Amoco station lately? I doubt seriously if the same formula from the early 60s is still available.
Coleman and other brands of white gas are readily available and work well.
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
Wayne

soilman
08-25-2020, 22:06
I hiked from ME to VA and used unleaded gas most of the time with an original SVEA. I used an eye dropper to prime and cleaned it daily with wire tool. The next year I hiked Springer to Roan Mt and used the same stove but upgraded to the pump. Only time I used white gas was at the start. I remember the taxi driver filling up my Sigg fuel bottle saying “just like moonshine, never spill a drop.”

JNI64
08-26-2020, 00:38
I hiked from ME to VA and used unleaded gas most of the time with an original SVEA. I used an eye dropper to prime and cleaned it daily with wire tool. The next year I hiked Springer to Roan Mt and used the same stove but upgraded to the pump. Only time I used white gas was at the start. I remember the taxi driver filling up my Sigg fuel bottle saying “just like moonshine, never spill a drop.”

Interesting, has to be the most cost efficient yes? And most easily obtainable? Figure 2$ a gallon for gas , That's 50 cents per quart. How much gas would you go through in a week? (Unlike moonshine i wouldn't drink it)! The redneck in me wants to believe moonshine will work in this thing to......

peakbagger
08-26-2020, 07:59
There is ethanol free automotive fuel available in some areas. There are two stations in Gorham NH that sell it. It is quite popular with owners of seasonal "toys" like ATVs, Snowmobiles and boats. Talk to any small engine mechanic and they will confirm how bad ethanol is for leaving deposits.it goes bad in a couple of months. It is also available at most airports. It cost more than ethanol blended fuels.

Five Tango
08-26-2020, 08:17
if only this very Exciting event were filmed lol.

If you care to watch this attached video my guess is that my pyro event was about 3 times more spectacular than the flame that nearly singed this guys eyebrows off in the beginning of the video.The SVEA 123 and 123R are great stoves but do require some knowledge and caution when using.

My SVEA is a thing of classic beauty and I love it,just don't love it enough to carry it! I forget how heavy it is but the weight is significant.Then there is the metal fuel bottle and the fuel itself.That's why my main ride is Zelph's Starlyte and Starlyte XL coupled with a Trail Designs F keg and Caldera Cone it's all I will ever need to boil water.

That said,I have considered taking it again sometime with just the fuel in the tank and no reserves.Does anyone have data on how many boils you could expect on a tankful of gas?
here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyzFO06ZLQI

Time Zone
08-26-2020, 14:12
To the best of my knowledge the Svea 123Rs were never made in the U.S. I have one of the newer ones, and while I don't still have the box, I'm reasonably certain it was made in China. With that said, it works fine and has never given me any problems and is the one I still take regularly on overnight hikes. If you want authenticity, you can still find the original 123s, though it's getting harder (and particularly ones with the original key). I have two of these, and if kept in good shape and maintenance is performed, they work as if new. BTW I couldn't find anything on the Optimus site about where they're made. Maybe someone else knows more, and I'll be happy to stand corrected.

Thanks - I phrased my question(s) poorly. I meant to ask if they were still being produced at all, and if so, was there a distributor in the USA?

There's a popular online site that has lost my trust in recent years. I would be concerned about knockoffs being sold as genuine, etc., and thus if the Svea stove were still being made, I would want to ensure that whatever I bought was the real deal.

Odd Man Out
08-26-2020, 18:53
There is ethanol free automotive fuel available in some areas. There are two stations in Gorham NH that sell it. It is quite popular with owners of seasonal "toys" like ATVs, Snowmobiles and boats. Talk to any small engine mechanic and they will confirm how bad ethanol is for leaving deposits.it goes bad in a couple of months. It is also available at most airports. It cost more than ethanol blended fuels.
I use ethanol-free RV fuel filter in my lawnmower and snowblower. It has a very high octane rating.

Pheral
08-26-2020, 21:06
Thanks - I phrased my question(s) poorly. I meant to ask if they were still being produced at all, and if so, was there a distributor in the USA?

There's a popular online site that has lost my trust in recent years. I would be concerned about knockoffs being sold as genuine, etc., and thus if the Svea stove were still being made, I would want to ensure that whatever I bought was the real deal.

There are many e-tailers (https://www.outlandusa.com/p/optimus-svea-white-gas-stove?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&campaign_id=832744688&adgroup=40811433537&matchtype=&device=c&devicemodel=&placement=&adposition=&gclid=CjwKCAjwkJj6BRA-EiwA0ZVPVlEHxXLiCA_3TrnU7sarOdGn2i5JmsRkbTaPznQI3b nXT3r9vqAY8BoCf0EQAvD_BwE) other than the big one that sell this stove, mostly in the range of $110 dollars or so.

Venchka
08-26-2020, 22:18
I think Optimus could be trusted.
https://www.optimusstoves.com/us/us/200-8016279-optimus-svea
Fuel typeWhite gas
Average burn timeUp to 50 min at maximum output (with 120 ml of fuel)
Dimensions (mm)130 × Ø 100
Average boil time for 1 L of waterApprox. 7 min/1 L, depending on climate, altitude etc.
Output1400W
Weight (grams)550g

Have fun!
Wayne

Pheral
08-27-2020, 06:22
Yes, but you can't actually buy one off the Optimus site.

Time Zone
08-27-2020, 10:08
There are many e-tailers (https://www.outlandusa.com/p/optimus-svea-white-gas-stove?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&campaign_id=832744688&adgroup=40811433537&matchtype=&device=c&devicemodel=&placement=&adposition=&gclid=CjwKCAjwkJj6BRA-EiwA0ZVPVlEHxXLiCA_3TrnU7sarOdGn2i5JmsRkbTaPznQI3b nXT3r9vqAY8BoCf0EQAvD_BwE) other than the big one that sell this stove, mostly in the range of $110 dollars or so.

Thanks. It's curious, though, why Outland USA is not listed as a dealer on Optimus' web site (at least, not by searching by city/state or zip). REI is listed, but they don't carry this stove.

Interesting it's not on the river site. IIRC it used to be, and there were (some) reviews complaining about it not being of the same quality etc etc. So I'm just cautious of the risk of knockoffs. I agree, Venchka, I could trust Optimus, but how do we know an Optimus is an Optimus? Best I can figure, by sticking to official dealers.

There are, of course, other options in the white gas stove market. There's just something about the 123R that appeals to me - simplicity of design, longevity in the market, durability of item, retro appeal, etc. But it's my understanding they're not the most efficient things around. The attraction is not entirely rational, I concede! :)

BradMT
08-27-2020, 10:18
I have my original Svea 123 I got from REI in 1975 for $11.25. I still runs like a blowtorch. As has been pointed out, White Gas (Coleman fuel) is the best fuel for it. On a 2.5 mos long hike on the AT in 1977 I did use leaded auto fuel for a bit until I could find some white gas to replenish my Sigg fuel bottle. I don't think auto fuel is ideal, but it certainly worked(s).

I'm not sure it's been pointed out that the later version of the Svea 123 is the "R" model. It has a built-in cleaning needle. I've never owned the R model, but I've heard it's a bit more problematic than the original. I believe the current Taiwanese made version is the "R" model. In all the years I've used my Svea I've never had an issue with it, but I've always cleaned the burner jet religiously.

If I wanted a Svea I'd get on ebay and find a used Swedish-made non-R model, though undoubtedly the 123R is perfectly fine.

A lot of good reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svea_123

Venchka
08-27-2020, 16:08
After looking at EBAY SVEA stove and pump/fuel cap prices, I am putting my stove and accessories in a safety deposit box!
👍😄
My only regret: I bought the “naked” stove and SIGG TOURIST cook set package from REI. I don’t have the brass windscreen. Maybe I’ll run across the windscreen someday.
Wayne

atraildreamer
08-28-2020, 11:24
I used a plastic eyedropper to transfer fuel from the COLD fuel tank to the priming cup. Just before it burns out, open the valve and the stove lights right up!

jmeg8237
11-05-2020, 13:56
Interesting thread. I still have my Svea I started using over 40 years ago (credit to Colin Fletcher), and last time I used it, it still worked like a charm. I have two aluminum fuel bottles, large and small, which I've selected from based on the duration of a trip. As far as I can recall, I've always used Coleman fuel.

Right now, I'm contemplating another attempt at the AT and have been trying to figure out how to manage a stove and fuel on a long trek. What is the availability of Coleman fuel (or something similar and suitable) along the trail? If not available, then it would seem like unleaded gasoline would be the next-best option, but I would rather use Ethanol-free gasoline, but, again, I don't have a good idea of the availability of that close to the trail.

It looks like many of the newer models of stoves use gas cartridges, which should be able to be shipped as part of a resupply package. I'm not opposed to upgrading my equipment, but I'd rather not if stove fuel is available along the trail.

John Meggers
Naples, FL

NY HIKER 50
11-05-2020, 20:43
I had the 123 at one time but the way things went I had to give it up Try traveling on the subways and buses, trains with it. By the way, I used a dropper to prime it right out of the tank. Unfortunately, I had to switch to alcohol and esbit for the above safety reasons and because storage is now impossible of the fuel.

Staystrong
01-17-2021, 14:58
'It was somewhat common practice years ago. While it was cheaper, the problem was that auto gas (https://generatorpick.com/best-10000-watt-generator/) would create deposits in the burner orifice and generator, requiring more frequent cleaning and often leading to stove failure in the field. Stove fuel (Coleman Fuel) is pretty much pure "light naphtha", like a heavier blend of Zippo lighter fluid.'
Soo, it sounds like this doesn't feet any of generators, isn't it so?

gpburdelljr
01-17-2021, 15:40
Interesting thread. I still have my Svea I started using over 40 years ago (credit to Colin Fletcher), and last time I used it, it still worked like a charm. I have two aluminum fuel bottles, large and small, which I've selected from based on the duration of a trip. As far as I can recall, I've always used Coleman fuel.

Right now, I'm contemplating another attempt at the AT and have been trying to figure out how to manage a stove and fuel on a long trek. What is the availability of Coleman fuel (or something similar and suitable) along the trail? If not available, then it would seem like unleaded gasoline would be the next-best option, but I would rather use Ethanol-free gasoline, but, again, I don't have a good idea of the availability of that close to the trail.

It looks like many of the newer models of stoves use gas cartridges, which should be able to be shipped as part of a resupply package. I'm not opposed to upgrading my equipment, but I'd rather not if stove fuel is available along the trail.

John Meggers
Naples, FL

Years ago, when stoves like the Svea 123 were more prevalent, hostels would often Coleman fuel by the ounce. If you scroll down to the bar chart on the following link, a survey of AT thru-hikers in 2019 shows that only 2%-3% used liquid fuel (not counting alcohol), while 80+% used canister stoves. Based on supply and demand, I would think fuel canisters would be readily available, but probably not Coleman fuel.

https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/top-stoves-and-filters-the-2019-appalachian-trail-thru-hiker-survey/