PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Hiking

bigmac_in
03-19-2006, 16:33
Any Hoosier hikers out ther interested in a short (25-30 miles) hike on the Knobstone Trail in southern Indiana? I don't know anything about this trail, but thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm switching jobs and will have the first week of April off. Just want to get out in nature for a couple days, and warm up for my AT section hike in May. Send me a note if interested -

[email protected]

neo
03-19-2006, 16:41
Any Hoosier hikers out ther interested in a short (25-30 miles) hike on the Knobstone Trail in southern Indiana? I don't know anything about this trail, but thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm switching jobs and will have the first week of April off. Just want to get out in nature for a couple days, and warm up for my AT section hike in May. Send me a note if interested -

[email protected]

i plan on hiking the knobstone trail someday,another trail i want to hike in southern indiana is,the adventure hiking trail in harrison crawford state
forrest,i like the view from the fire tower at clark state forrest:cool: neo

http://www.freewebs.com/equilibrium-movie/anderson.GIF

Tudor
03-19-2006, 16:48
Bigmac,

I'm up here in central Indiana, about half an hour from Indy. I'm gonna be thru-hiking (SOBO) come June, and I've been looking for an oppurtunity to break my boots and field test my new Osprey Aether 70 and hopefully my Hennessey Ultralite A-sym (as soon as it gets in) soon. My only problem, as of yet, is that I have to work 7 days a week, with today being a miracle and getting the day off.

I can see what I can do to get a weekend off, but that would be a stretch at the least. So wish I could just take off and do some hiking already, especially after watching the movie Southbounders, and seeing some of the Maine portions that I sectioned 2 years ago!

bigmac_in
03-19-2006, 17:29
Tudor

I'm currently not far from you in Cambridge City, Moving to Bloomington soon. Too bad you can't take some time, I just want to get out a couple days - maybe one night. Let me know if it works out & good luck on your through hike....... I wish I could go on that one.....someday......................

Tudor
03-19-2006, 17:44
When are you planning your section hike in May? I'm taking the last 2 weeks of May off of work so I can start putting all my attention towards my thru. The Knobstone sounds like it can be done in 1-2 days, depending on difficulty of terrain, and the hiker's goal. :)

I feel your urge to get out and away for a couple of days! Maybe if you get a chance before your section, we could do the Knobstone or another trail? All this talk is giving me the Itch! :sun

bigmac_in
03-19-2006, 20:25
I think the knobstone is at least a 3 dayer, especially for someone my age (47). I haven't seen the terrain, but I think there are plenty of ups and downs. It is 58 miles, although part of that mileage is a loop at one end. If you skip the loop, it is more like 47 miles, so you might get it done in two days, I suppose.

I'm more of a wandering hiker, I like to take my time and enjoy the time with nature.

Taking a short section hike beginning May 18th on the AT - Cooper Gap to Unicoi Gap, Georgia. With changing jobs, that's all I have time for.

Big

neo
03-19-2006, 21:14
I think the knobstone is at least a 3 dayer, especially for someone my age (47). I haven't seen the terrain, but I think there are plenty of ups and downs. It is 58 miles, although part of that mileage is a loop at one end. If you skip the loop, it is more like 47 miles, so you might get it done in two days, I suppose.

I'm more of a wandering hiker, I like to take my time and enjoy the time with nature.

Taking a short section hike beginning May 18th on the AT - Cooper Gap to Unicoi Gap, Georgia. With changing jobs, that's all I have time for.

Big

hey bigmac
47 is young ,i have never felt better,i will be 48 in november:cool: neo

bigmac_in
03-19-2006, 22:05
Yeah, neo, I was just practicing a little sarcasm. Actually, I feel great at 47. I decided to take up this backpacking and feel even better. I've lost 30 pounds in the past year, don't take any medications, never see a doctor - better off than a lot of people that have seen fewer birthdays.

If you ever make it up to do the Knobstone trail, let me know. I'm on the 20 year plan for the AT, unless something changes, so I'll be around.

Tabasco
03-19-2006, 23:08
I did the southern end of the Knobstone last March, nice little hike. Enjoy it if you get to go. I would join ya, but I'm on my yearly section hike that week.

Mike
03-20-2006, 14:06
My buddy and I hiked the 47 mile portion of the trail in 4 days. We planned on doing all 58 in that time, but moved a little slower than we hoped. I was experimenting with sandals and found that my feet didnt like them as much as I hoped they would. (read: very painful final day of hiking).

Anyway, we went in spring when the morels were growing. We found three or four 8" tall shrooms growing by a stream beside the trail. Good eating.

The time of year was peak season for bagworms. They were coming out at that time and the woods was alive with the sound of them falling from the trees. It seriously sounded like a light rain.

This trail is very hilly. You are constantly climbing up and over one hill after another. Because parts of the trail is pieced together over several smaller state owned tracts of land, you will find yourself going up and down so the trail can remain on state owned land.

The trail is marked well, there are several trailheads and there are marker posts (with mileage) placed every mile on the trail so you know exactly where you are at.

We were thinking about stashing water along the route due to some indications that there were dry sections (especially in late spring and summer) but we didnt find this necessary. We only had to pump water from a road drainage ditch once.:banana

I plan on hiking the loops at the north end of the trail some day. I will probably do that in the fall though.

good luck

neo
03-20-2006, 20:51
here is a good link:cool: neo

http://www.indianaoutfitters.com/Destinations/Knobstone_trail.htm

neo
03-20-2006, 20:54
here is a number if ya need a shuttle,or water or food drop:cool: neo

http://www.indianaoutfitters.com/Outfitter_pages/go_deep_adventures.htm

fredmugs
03-29-2006, 14:11
I live in Bloomington and have hiked most of Knobstone and it is a real knee buster if you have problems with your knees you need to keep this in mind.

I am also looking to do a section hike in NC this spring hopefully late in May. I have hiked from Springer to Deep Gap and am now looking to go from Deep Gap to Fontana Dam and/or thru GSMNP. I don't necessarily need to hike with someone but if anyone else is going there around that time frame where we could do some car shuttling I am interested in working something out.

bulldog49
03-29-2006, 14:18
I live in Anderson, In and have a hiked on the Knobstone a lot.

As others have said, it is a very rugged trail, lot of steep ups and downs. Summer and fall water is very scarce. Southern section is the most senic. It's a nice 3 day hike.

Mr. Obvious
04-21-2006, 15:58
Howdy.. Give yourself more than 2 to complete the KT.. I live now about 10 miles from the southern terminus in clarksVEGAS.. I've hiked the southern 15 miles or so , just found it late this past winter... Water hasn't been a problem, plenty of streams running, but everthing i have read states this changes in the summer, so plan on stashing water at any of the road crossings if your hiking anytime later in the summer.

Here is a great link from a prof. at IWU..

http://courses.indwes.edu/KD-PHE120/knobstone.data.htm

Yes, there are plenty of ups-downs.. Miles 4-6 are a pain... Beautiful hiking, i've sectioned those first 15, atleast half a dozen times, and haven't seen more than 2 people each time..

Happy hiking..
hope to see you out there, i'm heading northbound from either Jackson rd, or Chapel Rd ( i think that's what it's called) trail head on sunday..