PDA

View Full Version : What type of shirt do you hike in? (warm weather)

timhines
03-19-2006, 16:39
I found an Army/Navy surplus place that has L and XL 100% polyester tshirts for 9.99. I'm considering picking up two or three.

What about you guys, what type of shirt do you hike in? Whatever is handy?

Just Jeff
03-19-2006, 17:02
That's what I use most of the time - 100% polyester. I have a Nike Coolmax one that's great, a few UnderArmors, and a long-sleeve Walmart brand that was like $8 on sale. I exercise in them - otherwise I wouldn't need so many.

I've also heard of folks getting those old silk shirts from Goodwill for like $2 - supposed to be really cool. And when it's really hot (like in the Grand Canyon) some people really like cotton because it holds water against the skin. Not sure cotton would be best for humid places like the AT, no matter how hot it is, though.

Tudor
03-19-2006, 17:05
Hemp shirts are good b/c they last long, and have excellent breathability. Also, as temps cool down they tend to stay warmer than cotton, and they don't wear out, but wear in. Problem for most people is that they are pricey as they are not the 'in thing' in clothes quite yet, so it's harder to get your hands on them.

Kerosene
03-20-2006, 09:35
My Duofold poly T-shirt seems to dry the fastest of all of the ones I've tried, including CoolMax, Patagonia, Under Armour, and a bunch of others.

rgarling
03-20-2006, 09:58
I've used silk shirts for many years. They rinse well and dry quickly. Since using them, I haven't been tempted to look at other options.

mrmike48/4000
03-20-2006, 10:56
it all depends how warm. if really warm im able to go bareback with no problems. i do not go bareback for large stretchs but i can do a hole day like this. if i do wear a shirt it is usually a cut off sleeve duofold. my duofold shirts i bought from the huts up in new hampshire lake of the clouds, tuckermans/hermit lake, greenleaf, madison, pinkham . i have a bad habit of buying one of these shirts at every hut i go through. its tough to avoid buying them. i have a gear problem anyway....

Palmer
03-20-2006, 11:38
I've been using EMS TechWick for awhile. They're pretty lightweight, comfortable, and supposedly don't smell as much as other polyesters. I'm not too sure about the smell part, but I like them anyway, so I wear them.

I'd like to use a natural fabric, so I'm intrigued by the hemp idea. I'd gladly switch to wool if I could find some lightweight wool.

timhines
03-20-2006, 11:54
Tudor, are you talking about 100% hemp?

I found some shirts on ebay that are about 50/50 hemp and organic cotton. I would get one if it was less cotton.

greentick
03-20-2006, 11:55
My Duofold poly T-shirt seems to dry the fastest of all of the ones I've tried, including CoolMax, Patagonia, Under Armour, and a bunch of others.

I second that. I have a few duofolds including some of the 85/15 poly/cotton ones that feel more like cotton. Campmor seems to have them in the hot deals section all the time for 5-7 bucks.

mrmike48 with the gear problem: I feel your pain. Strangely enough, I almost think that I have reached a critical mass. I am only getting one REI thing per month. They miss me at the store pickups.:(

Kerosene
03-20-2006, 12:05
I'd gladly switch to wool if I could find some lightweight wool.Here is a link to SmartWool T-shirts at $32 each: http://www.sockcompany.com/smmevete.html

DawnTreader
03-20-2006, 12:23
I purchased a duofold at lakes of the clouds and loved it. But like all things that I love, it too is lost. If anyone knows where I can purchase a replacement, a shot out is needed....THANKS

greentick
03-20-2006, 12:31
I purchased a duofold at lakes of the clouds and loved it. But like all things that I love, it too is lost. If anyone knows where I can purchase a replacement, a shot out is needed....THANKS

Not sure what your size is... Campmor hotdeals

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=7109778&memberId=12500226

uncas
03-20-2006, 12:41
Hello,

Again, can't beat the Duofolds. And campmor has great prices on them. I just bought two for my thru-hike at $5.97 each.

Disney
03-20-2006, 12:51
I love my duofold but if it's sunny, i enjoy being shirtless.

Weldman
03-20-2006, 13:17
Those looking for the best deals:

I found some Nike & Everlast Dri-fit shirts for $8-10 each at Ross and Under Armour at Marshalls $19.99 both cold and heat gear. Also found clothes for the wife. In a pinch, she buys men's small equals women's medium for those gals out there.

Mike

timhines
03-20-2006, 13:23
seach for "wicking" and "duofold" on sierratradingpost.com

If anyone needs a free shipping code just send me a message.

hammock engineer
03-20-2006, 13:26
I'm not a big fan of duofold shirts. I got 3 from Campmor (bad habbit of adding 1 or 2 cheap things everytime I order something online). To me, when they get wet they feel like cotton an take a lot longer then my poly shirts to dry out.

I have a couple cheap poly shirts from dicks that I usually hike in.

orangebug
03-20-2006, 14:56
Bunches of things are good. Lightest has been a scrub shirt. Flame Orange polyshirts are popular. Duofold, Underarmor and similar shirts are cool also.

I'm only now considering the latter choices as I've been working out and finally getting some arms and less paunch.

Midway Sam
03-20-2006, 15:03
I like these basic Starter shirts from Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4366747&dept=5438&path=0%3A5438%3A133197%3A487911%3A136328

At $5 they can't be beat.

Just Jeff
03-20-2006, 15:21
Remember when Starter was a big name and real expensive until Walmart got the line? Just like Haro bikes, I guess - they used to start at about $400 up to over a thousand back in the 80s and now they're like $80 at ToysRUs.

Anyway, Walmart also has Athletic Works brand that are pretty good - mine is a bit thicker and doesn't get all staticky like the CoolMax one sometimes does.

Almost There
03-20-2006, 15:27
Like Duofold shirts for summer and Patagonia R5 for cold weather.

weary
03-20-2006, 15:37
And when it's really hot (like in the Grand Canyon) some people really like cotton because it holds water against the skin. Not sure cotton would be best for humid places like the AT, no matter how hot it is, though.
I wear 100 percent cotton "pocket" tees late spring through early fall -- and sometimes before and after. I like a collar, but it's not essential. The pocket is essential. It holds my camera so it's always instantly available.

Why cotton? It works. Stinks less. It's vegetable matter. (polyester is a waste of natural oil resources and has no advantages that I've ever detected)

Weary

Sly
03-20-2006, 15:54
I hike in whatever the UnderwearGuys have for sale at Trail Days.

Just Jeff
03-20-2006, 16:48
Why cotton? It works. Stinks less. It's vegetable matter. (polyester is a waste of natural oil resources and has no advantages that I've ever detected)

It certainly stinks less, and it's more comfortable, IMO. One advantage of polyester is that it absorbs less water and dries faster, though - and sometimes that can make a difference in comfort for me.

Whistler
03-20-2006, 19:58
I wear polyester shirts. I've seen polyester shirts in both the "cottony" and "silky" feel. Either style works for me. I'll second the recommendation for the Starter or Athletic Works models at Wal-Mart. It's a great value.
-Mark

neo
03-20-2006, 20:01
now i prefer my whiteblaze t shirt:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9960&original=1&c=member&imageuser=3462

Palmer
03-21-2006, 07:58
Here is a link to SmartWool T-shirts at $32 each: http://www.sockcompany.com/smmevete.html

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, they've only got small size shirts left. However, there are a bunch up for auction on eBay.

Doctari
03-21-2006, 11:05
I now have 2 whiteblaze tees, so the plan is: wear one at start for hiking in, the other for sleeping, at first place with laundry, wash the hiking wear the sleeping one, which is now my hiking shirt. Alternate with each washing. I have a small #1 & #2 in them to diferentiate them.

Doctari.

Mags
03-21-2006, 12:56
Since my hiking now evolves sun exposure as a concern, tend to hike in long sleeve shirt. My shirt of choice is a $4 polycotton (65/35 blend) thrift store special.

Light, dries quickly, sun and bug protection. The little bit of cotton makes me cool in hot weather. Thrift stores - the original recycling place!

For lower elev hikes, pure cotton shirts feel too clammy for me. I have used scrub shirts in the past (50/50 blend typically) which has a nice large pocket for my camera. Used scrub shirts on the Long Trail hikes (2) and the AT.

Since I've take up running in the past three years, I have done some races where I get a "free" (ahem) race T. Most are synthetic now. I look a bit like a Nascar racer when hiking...but, the shirt was part of my schwag and it dries quickly.