PDA

View Full Version : Georgia AT 2006 - Tinker and Frosty

Tinker
03-19-2006, 20:00
Well, Frosty and I started the Georgia AT on March 7th, and I just finished the section on the 17th. The drive home to R.I. took almost exactly 24 hrs. with rest and food stops. When I left, Frosty was in the Blueberry Patch hostel still suffering from an upper respiratory tract affliction which defied all attempts at diagnosis - at least we know through x-rays taken in Hiawassee that it's not pneumonia. Nevertheless, I have to say that I have a great respect for the mountains in Georgia. They remind me of the AT in Vermont, especially the section between Maine Junction and the NH line. The weather was unseasonably warm, with temperatures between 35 degrees for a low on Springer to a high of 76 on Blood Mountain. We only got sprinkled on for a while the day we left Wasali-Yi center (actually, I had camped just up the hill from the center, north), and it was warm enough that my raingear never saw the light of day. I overpacked with a down bag from Feathered Friends (Great Auk, 800 fill power down, 2 oz. overfill, good to at least 5 degrees), my Hilleberg Akto solo tent (could've gotten away easily with a tarp), and a bunch of extra Esbit tabs.

We first got off the Trail at Woody Gap, for a night between sheets at the hiker hostel in Dahlonega. The next few days took us to Unicoi Gap after a short last day. Frosty decided to get off the trail there due to breathing problems. We stayed at the Hiawassee inn. The next day, Frosty decided he needed another day to recuperate, so I had AYCE at the Chinese restaurant basically next door for lunch, and Mexican for dinner with Brian, an 18 year old hiker on his first extended solo hike while contemplating a change of colleges from the U of NM to Colby in Maine (this after the AYCE the first night at the inn at a steak house down the street - no, AYCE did not include steak) :( .

Frosty still wasn't up to hiking after a day and a half at the Hiawassee inn, so he decided to go to the hospital to get checked out (nothing found, antibiotics prescribed). Brian and I began our hike into the next section, 16 miles between Unicoi and Dick's Creek gap. I was feeling great, and got into "machine mode", and before the day was done, even with a full pack, but probably due to the AYCE calories, made it to Dick's Creek Gap where I caught a ride to the Blueberry Patch Hostel where I spent the night before finishing the section the next day at 3:00, and spending the night at Plum Orchard Gap shelter. The last day of hiking, I hiked back out to Dick's Creek Gap and spent another wonderful night with Gary and Lennie at the Blueberry Patch Hostel. The owners are really wonderful Christian people, run the place on donations only, and welcome all people to breakfast in their home after a beautiful prayer with hands held around the table.

I obviously had a wonderful time of hiking with my fellow hikers, most of whom are in N.C. as I type this, as well as a quiet time of fellowship with the Creator of the wonderful natural realm through which I travelled. Pictures will be up on Webshots.com soon under user name tinkerdan.

Surprises:
1) Warm weather
2) Blood Mountain climb was a piece of cake
3) After many warnings of the difficulty of climbing Kelly Knob, I did it, bottom to top, without a rest break.
4) I did a 16 mile day, with no previous miles on my legs other than those done on the Georgia AT section.
5) The Georgia mountain vegetation consists mainly of deciduous trees and poison ivy - BEWARE!
6) Esbit tabs can simmer! (as they burn out).

Regrets:
1) I took my closed cell pad instead of my Thermarest or Big Agnes Air Core Mummy/ closed cell combination. (The last night I spent in a shelter, and my hips are still sore).
2) I took my old Gregory Shasta pack instead of my Gossamer Gear G4 (an extra 5 lbs.) because I thought I needed the extra support with 32 lbs. of winter gear.
3) I had to turn back at Bly Gap!:(

Tinker

Tinker
03-19-2006, 20:19
I named my first thruhiker!
There was a guy on his way up the approach trail to Springer with an external frame pack. Tied to the pack were a Thermarest full length pad and a Ridgerest pad. Upon reaching the Springer shelter, I learned that he had two of almost everything, including a mummy bag and a rectangular bag to use as a liner. I doubted I'd see him anymore on the trail due to the weight he was carrying. I dubbed him "Uhaul". It stuck. Happily, I spent the last night in Georgia with him at the Blueberry Patch Hostel, where he told me that he'd lightened his load considerably, getting rid of his Thermarest, an extra, large knife, and much other gear.
He's probably in North Carolina now, while I'm stuck indoors in RI, going back to work two jobs tomorrow!:(

The drawbacks of section hiking -

but Georgia is DONE! :banana :banana :banana

tiamalle
03-19-2006, 20:33
I named my first thruhiker!
There was a guy on his way up the approach trail to Springer with an external frame pack. Tied to the pack were a Thermarest full length pad and a Ridgerest pad. Upon reaching the Springer shelter, I learned that he had two of almost everything, including a mummy bag and a rectangular bag to use as a liner. I doubted I'd see him anymore on the trail due to the weight he was carrying. I dubbed him "Uhaul". It stuck. Happily, I spent the last night in Georgia with him at the Blueberry Patch Hostel, where he told me that he'd lightened his load considerably, getting rid of his Thermarest, an extra, large knife, and much other gear.
He's probably in North Carolina now, while I'm stuck indoors in RI, going back to work two jobs tomorrow!:(

The drawbacks of section hiking -

but Georgia is DONE! :banana :banana :banana Frosty is checked in at Budget Inn of Franklin

Tinker
03-19-2006, 20:36
Glad to hear he's back on the trail, and has finished Georgia. He's in new territory now. I checked his journal, and no new info. is in it since our start at AFSP.

Tinker
03-19-2006, 20:56
Frosty is checked in at Budget Inn of Franklin

I just phoned him. He's sick again, running a fever with chills. Not so good. He's going to see a doctor again and rest. He says that he can hike about a day and a half and then he feels sick again. I couldn't talk for him for too long because he mailed his cel phone charger ahead and doesn't want to use up his batteries.
He said that he'd try to update his journal and maybe post some info here.

Sly
03-20-2006, 01:25
Thanks for the update. I hope Frosty is OK and without serious illness. Even at a day and a half at a time it's still early in the season.

A-Train
03-20-2006, 01:47
Frosty can't catch a break. I hope he can find some better luck and get back into the swing

River Runner
03-20-2006, 01:56
Thanks for the great trip report Tinker. I'm section hiking Georgia too, starting April 10. I hope we get weather similar to what you had!

Tinker
03-21-2006, 07:40
Thanks for the great trip report Tinker. I'm section hiking Georgia too, starting April 10. I hope we get weather similar to what you had!

Best of luck to you, RR. If you're planning on doing the Approach Trail, as I did, and you do it without killing yourself because of the effort, you can hike the rest of the Ga. section without worries (about the terrain, at least). The next toughest section (maybe because I did it the day after the 16 miler) is the 8.7 mi. section between Dick's Creek Gap and the Ga./NC border.

I know, I still don't have my pictures up. They're sitting in a file on my computor. I'll get them onto Webshots tonight, and they should be avail. for viewing tomorrow, unless I run out of space and have to pay to display them, then it may take a day longer.

Marta
03-21-2006, 08:00
I met UHaul at Standing Indian Shelter last Saturday night. He and Possum and Eli (who is a bit bummed about not having a trail name yet) were hiking together and having a great time. They're all pretty giddy with the excitement of the adventure, and excited to have made it into their second state. UHaul was planning to do another pruning of his pack contents in Franklin...

khaynie
03-21-2006, 08:22
TinkerDan,

I met you just South of Woody Gap for the first time and then again at Woody Gap when you hitched into the Hiker Hostel. Glad to hear your section hike went smoothly. You're right, the weather was unseasonably warm, huh?! Nice report.

Tinker
03-21-2006, 23:32
TinkerDan,

I met you just South of Woody Gap for the first time and then again at Woody Gap when you hitched into the Hiker Hostel. Glad to hear your section hike went smoothly. You're right, the weather was unseasonably warm, huh?! Nice report.

Thanks, Gills. I enjoyed reading your 2005 journal. You still have the thruhiker's legs. I couldn't dream of keeping up with you. Take care.

Tinker
03-21-2006, 23:37
I met UHaul at Standing Indian Shelter last Saturday night. He and Possum and Eli (who is a bit bummed about not having a trail name yet) were hiking together and having a great time. They're all pretty giddy with the excitement of the adventure, and excited to have made it into their second state. UHaul was planning to do another pruning of his pack contents in Franklin...

That's great to hear. I hope he makes it. I gave him a few ideas on gear, though some of it may be out of his price range (I'm not sure of his financial situation). He really was impressed with my Akto tent. He's using a heavy "Quest" synthetic filled mummy bag from Dick's Sporting Goods (my part time employer). He says it's supposed to be good to -20, or something like that. I looked at it and told him it's possibly good to +15, but no lower. I told him about the Backpacking Light website. He seems to have the drive to make it.

Tinker
03-21-2006, 23:40
I got around to publishing the pictures from my Georgia section hike on Webshots (I had to buy a membership as I'd run out of space - oh well!). I'll post the link tomorrow when it becomes available to the public. There's also a lot of additional info. that may be helpful for thru, section, or weekend hikers hiking the Georgia AT.

Tinker
03-22-2006, 00:55
Let's try this:

http://community.webshots.com/album/548798178sXxbQh

It works for me.

Hana_Hanger
03-22-2006, 06:00
Hi Tinker,
Yep the link worked for me as well.
Wonderful report and Great photos.

Loved the Crocus shot...miss seeing those flowers and the HOLY Tree shot :P

Tinker
03-24-2006, 01:27
Let's try this:

http://community.webshots.com/album/548798178sXxbQh

It works for me.

Bump.

I thought it might be nice if someone planning a thruhike (or Georgia section hike) could see what they are in for.

Smile
03-24-2006, 11:13
Shared the shuttle into Franklin from Deep Gap with Frosty...hope you are feeling better soon!

Frosty
03-24-2006, 11:20
Feeling better. Went for a walk yesterday. Still very stuffed up.

I just received a nice call from Mother Nature (thanks, MN!), telling me aobut Adult Onset Athsma. Could be if I still have trouble I might have that.

Idon'tknow what is going on, to be hnest.This is the sickest I can recall being, and though I feel a lot better, I am far from the cantnakerous, ornery, PITA SOB you all have come to know.

If Ron's shuttle can make the trip to DeepGap tomorrow, I am off again. WIll try to take it slow at first and not try to "make up time."

Meantime am being treated like royalty by the staff here at Haven's Budget Inn.

Jaybird
03-24-2006, 11:23
I just phoned him. He's sick again, running a fever with chills. Not so good. He's going to see a doctor again and rest. He says that he can hike about a day and a half and then he feels sick again. I couldn't talk for him for too long because he mailed his cel phone charger ahead and doesn't want to use up his batteries.He said that he'd try to update his journal and maybe post some info here.

Been checking FROSTY trail journal for updates...sounds like he is having it rough...again....he hasnt been in contact with any LIVE, sick chickens..has he???????:D

Spirit Walker
03-24-2006, 12:31
Good luck Frosty. Exercise induced asthma miht be a possibility though the fever sounds more like an infection/flu of some sort. I hope you can hike through it. Take it easy and continue with the antibiotics as long as they tell you to take them. It's still early yet - you have plenty of time to get to Katahdin.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2006, 13:24
I just dropped Frosty off at Deep Gap. He's feeling fat and happy. Lotsa buffets and rest for him this past week.

SawnieRobertson
03-25-2006, 16:31
Tinker,

Thanks for the slideshow and the explanations beneath each picture. It was fun.

Kinnickinic

Tinker
03-26-2006, 00:18
You're welcome!

Kinnickinic - Bear berry?

skymom
03-26-2006, 17:34
Tinker,
Thanks for the pics! I'm planning on doing this same section this summer. I know it will be hot as hell but that will also mean less gear to carry in the way of clothing.