PDA

View Full Version : North Face tents

hawkeye
02-19-2003, 16:59
Anyone have good/bad luck with North Face tents? I an looking to get a one person tent around the 3lb mark.

Lone Wolf
02-19-2003, 17:45
I have a NF Canyonlands and love it just fine.

RagingHampster
02-20-2003, 10:17
If your going to dish out cash for a TNF tent, check out Dancing Light Gear. I have an Arapaho Solo. Lightweight, singlewall, and easy to pitch.

http://www.trailquest.net/dlgcarapaho.html

I have a couple year old TNF VE-25 for group outtings, but I find that I hate to use it except for nice nights. I pretty much shun any tent with a fly now. PITA.

No offense to any who owns TNF tents or two wall shelters.

:-? :banana :-?

stranger
02-22-2003, 05:35
I agree with Lone Wolf on the Canyonlands, it's a pretty proven design and works well. But in my opinion TNF generally sucks for long distance hiking. TNF has always been, and will always be a ALPINE based company out of CA who doesn't really understand east coast humidity.

RagingHampster
02-22-2003, 08:58
Not to mention that they've sold themseles out to the SUV - Calvin Klein - Stainless Steel Refrigerator crowd...

stranger
02-23-2003, 01:19
Getting back to the Canyonlands...Macpac of Christchurch NZ makes a similar verson that is sweet. Basically the same design but with a Polyester fly, and huge ass vent towards the top, and superior constuction. But probably heavier due to better materials and heavier construction.

MadAussieInLondon
02-28-2003, 09:32
right on stranger. macpac make fantastic tents.

something to note about macpac tents, tho...

this is a quote fom the aus.bushwalking faq.

In general Australian and New Zealand tents differ a bit from American tents. The Americans seem to regard the inner tent with the insect proofing as the "tent", and the outer tent as a "fly". You lay out the inner tent, erect the poles, hang the inner tent from the poles, and then maybe you throw the fly over the lot. Windows in the ceilings of the American tents are routine - for looking at the stars they say. The classic Australian or New Zealand tent treats the "fly" as the tent, and the inner tent as just that. You lay out the outer tent, insert the poles into the sleeves, erect the tent, then arrange the inner tent inside - or have it permanently connected to the outer tent.

the window thing really gets me! i find it quite humorous!! :D

saying that i just ordered the new PCT1 from Mountain Hardware (3 pounds).

getting back to TNF tents, i seriously looked into gtting the 3 pound mountain marathon! its a very nice tent, i liked it heaps, the only thing that swayed me over to the mountain hardware was my prior experience with mountain hardware equipment over tnf.

hawkeye
02-28-2003, 14:17
Let me know how the PCT1 works out.

stranger
02-28-2003, 23:19
It's no wonder why Mountain Hardware is far superior from TNF considering Mtn Hdwr was started by the head designer from TNF and a CEO of Sierra Designs back in 1993. Great company!

hawkeye
03-07-2003, 11:25
I'm going to REI this saturday to look at a Mountain Hardwear PCT1

MadAussieInLondon
03-09-2003, 13:13
i got my pct1 in the mail. sweeet! all parts accounted for.. i cant put it up tho, nowhere to do it (my bed touches 3 walls...) so i will set it up on top of my bed ;) heheh...

gotta love londons tight living spaces..

hawkeye
03-09-2003, 16:50
Went to REI and picked up the PCT1 instead of the North Face. Lighter and well made. My friend used a cannonlands on his AT hike and loved it. I just liked the Mountain Hardwear PCT1 better