PDA

View Full Version : Franconia Brook tentsite

heyman62
03-20-2006, 08:30
I will be hiking several days in the Pemigewasset Wilderness and was thinking of staying one night at the Franconia Brook tentsite. It is on an AMC map, but I also do not see any information about it from their website. I also hear that an older tentsite was closed and a new one made??? Has anybody been to this site? Is it still there? Thanks in advance for the info.:sun

Peaks
03-20-2006, 08:48
Last time I hiked through there, the tent site was still there. And I haven't heard that it has been removed. (still on the maps that come with the 27 edition of the AMC White Mountain Guide

If you are interested in hiking, climbing, and backpacking in the Northeast, other than the AT, then Views from the top is the website to ask questions such as yours.

mrmike48/4000
03-20-2006, 09:22
heyman, seems to me from the NH White Mtn guide that they dismatled thi tentsite back in 97. they say no camping in this area. i have been through there every year for the last 20yrs or so and i have seen people stealth camping but not too often. the old site is 2.8 mi in on the wilderness trail..my guide is the 26th edition and it also says their are plans in the making for a new tentsite across the way from the old one, i dont remember seeing it..it is a very easy walk to this spot, not much elevation at all..takes about 30 to 45 min to get to that spot...what are your actual plans for that area...your in the area with the bondcliffs to the east of that spot , garfield to the north w/ the AT and the franconia ridge to the west..owls head is due center along with 13 falls campsite up franconia BROOK trail 8 or 9 mi...mrmike aka nitewalker

heyman62
03-22-2006, 13:52
Ok...here is the story. I had no luck registering Views from the top. Must be a website problem. I did talk to the WMNF office and got the story on Franconia Brook Tentsite. Yes it did indeed exist a few years ago on the East side of the Pemi river. It is now on the west side of the Pemi river. I did reserve a site there. It is just primitive with no car access (yah). Nearest car access is 3 miles south on rt. 112 We are coming from west making our way towards Washington. Plenty of brooks and the river for water supply at this tentsite. We will hike to Zealand Falls hut the next day. Will feel weird having a "roof" over our head that night.

Peaks
03-22-2006, 18:10
Let's get our easts and wests straight.

The Franconia Brook tentsite was on the west side of the river along the popular Lincoln Woods Trail, an old logging railroad bed. It was relocated to the east side of the river along the Pemi East Side trail.

There are stepping stones across the river, but can be hazardous during high water.

heyman62
03-22-2006, 20:56
I did get my east & west messed up! thanks