PDA

View Full Version : Trail Runners for Pronators?

DrewNC2005
03-20-2006, 09:19
I just bought a pair of Montrail Hardrocks and found out very quickly that they did not help my slight pronation at all. After only a couple of hours, I was already having pain stemming from pronating.

Anybody have any suggestions for a stable trail runner that helps with slight pronation?

chknfngrs
03-20-2006, 09:33
I'd try some kind of insert in any running shoe. Orthotics, or Superfeet for instance, help with softer shoes like trail runners. I use the Hardrock w/ green Superfeet and they work quite well for me.

chris
03-20-2006, 10:28
Instead of looking for a trail runner, try a running shoe, which will be fine for the AT (though durability could be an issue). My biomechanics have changed over the last few years, but I found the Brooks Beast to be a super shoe for overpronation. In the trail runner variety, you could look at the New Balance 900 series, which have a good deal of pronation support. I don't especially like them for fit and traction reasons, but they are very popular.

Clark Fork
03-20-2006, 12:10
I just bought a pair of Montrail Hardrocks and found out very quickly that they did not help my slight pronation at all. After only a couple of hours, I was already having pain stemming from pronating.

Anybody have any suggestions for a stable trail runner that helps with slight pronation?

I have had a good experience with Vasque Velocity. However, if you pronate, custom made orthotics will be your best bet. Sooner or later you will start to develop heel spurs and you can expect the wrenching effect of pronation to travel up your leg and eventually throw your knees off and possibly even your hips. You can expect pain in any event. If you have excessive wear on one side of your heel in all the shoes your wear, you are probably a good candidate for orthotics.

Call running shoe shops and talk with the sales folks. Ask them who they use for orthotics. They will know a Dr. in your area that specializes in orthotics. It is so very important to have a Dr. who has a lot of experience. You can get some relief from inexpensive inserts but in the long run, it is best to have someone look at your specific problem and work out a long term solution, usually in the form of custom made orthotics.

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana

DrewNC2005
03-20-2006, 12:52
I have had a good experience with Vasque Velocity. However, if you pronate, custom made orthotics will be your best bet. Sooner or later you will start to develop heel spurs and you can expect the wrenching effect of pronation to travel up your leg and eventually throw your knees off and possibly even your hips. You can expect pain in any event. If you have excessive wear on one side of your heel in all the shoes your wear, you are probably a good candidate for orthotics.

Call running shoe shops and talk with the sales folks. Ask them who they use for orthotics. They will know a Dr. in your area that specializes in orthotics. It is so very important to have a Dr. who has a lot of experience. You can get some relief from inexpensive inserts but in the long run, it is best to have someone look at your specific problem and work out a long term solution, usually in the form of custom made orthotics.

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana

Thanks Clark - I actually have a friend who is a podiatrist and I'll have him look at the issue. However, my wife is fairly educated in the area of pronation, etc. from running track and working at Fleet Feet Sports, a chain of stores that helps runners with fitting their feet for the right shoe (using video tape, etc.). She says my pronation is only slight so I don't know if orthotics are needed. Usually, just getting the right shoe corrects the problem, but I'll definitely ask the podiatrist.

c.coyle
03-20-2006, 13:00
If a good pair of running shoes specifically designed for over-pronators doesn't fix the problem, you might want to try off-the-shelf orthotic inserts. I am a pretty severe over-pronator, and have been using the Mid Distance Runner from Orthodynamics (http://www.orthodynamics.com/middistance.html) for about 4 years. Comfortable, reasonably priced, and they wear like iron. They're a little heavier than the stock insoles in running shoes, but they have completely eliminated my pain. I'll trade a little extra weight for pain-free any day. If you're over 200 lbs., order them with "arch fillers".

I initially had a pair of custom-molded orthotics, prescribed by my podiatrist. They cost three times as much as off-the-shelfs and, at least for me, didn't work any better.

I agree with the advice to see a podiatrist first. He'll measure the degree of your pronation and any "forefoot varus" which, I discovered, often accompanies over-pronation.

Forrest Phil
03-20-2006, 13:49
Drew,
I run in Brooks Adrenneline (sorry about the spelling). They make both a road version and a trail version. They are a light stability shoe. As may have been mentioned, you may benefit by visiting a speciality running store.
Forrest Phil

DrewNC2005
03-20-2006, 14:01
Drew,
I run in Brooks Adrenneline (sorry about the spelling). They make both a road version and a trail version. They are a light stability shoe. As may have been mentioned, you may benefit by visiting a speciality running store.
Forrest Phil

I run in the Adrenaline as well - I'll look into the trail version. My wife had a pair of those and seemed to like them.

Teatime
03-20-2006, 16:58
Another vote for the Adrenaline. I run in the Adrenaline GTS-5 and have found them to be the most comfortable running shoes I've ever worn. The new GTS-6 version has had mixed reviews from GTS-5 wearers so I'd try them on in a place like Fleet Feet. Raleigh Running Outfitters is where I got mine and they could probably help you. Also, you might check coolrunning.com for advice on running shoes.

alanthealan
03-21-2006, 10:48
I used two pairs of the Hardrocks about 7-800 miles each. I liked them but the heel peeled of both times. Montrail sold me a pair near cost to replace them. I had started with the superfeet hot molded foot beds 80$ from the outfitter. They did make my foot bed more stable but after 600 miles they were like concrete and i tosed them.

Blissful
03-21-2006, 14:10
Another vote for the Adrenaline. I run in the Adrenaline GTS-5 and have found them to be the most comfortable running shoes I've ever worn. The new GTS-6 version has had mixed reviews from GTS-5 wearers so I'd try them on in a place like Fleet Feet. Raleigh Running Outfitters is where I got mine and they could probably help you. Also, you might check coolrunning.com for advice on running shoes.

Ditto. I have pronation problem and use the Brooks adrenaline for walking and jogging. Don't think I would wear them trail wise, though (would want better tread, I think, and I have tendonitis problems in one ankle). I am happy with my Salomon Canyon GTX hiking shoes - only 14 oz. Backcountry.com outlet has them (at least they still had men's and maybe a few women's)