PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Mountain Shelter

barefoot
03-20-2006, 11:03
I am leading a church youth group trip from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs in June. This weekend I went on a dayhike from Max Patch to Walnut Mountain Shelter to mark possible campsites, water, etc. I had read on this forum about possible campsites around Walnut Moutain Shelter. Where are they? They are clear cutting alot of land right around the shelter. Has this destory some of the sites? I also couldn't find the water around the shelter. Again, maybe it was hidden because of the clear cutting. Are there sites north of Walnut Mountain? Any observations would be helpful.
Also, can anyone comment about tent sites from Walnut Mountain to Garenflo?
Thanks

cls
03-22-2006, 14:28
Was in shelter a couple of weeks ago. Water is behind shelter down at the bottom of the hill. If you are facing into the shelter the water trail is to your left. Evidently the area really was used for agricultural purposes long ago, the spring is partially surrounded by an old fence commonly used to keep livestock out. Shelter is old and in poor shape. Snow was blowing through the walls when I was there. If you are expecting bad weather you might want to stop at the old Mtn Mamas shelter 1.8mi south, at least until it gets torn down.

joel137
03-23-2006, 00:42
As I recall, facing north on the trail while in front of shelter, go north about30-50 yds and then cut left, that's where a fellow tented while I was there. The water source is one of the more pitiful I've ever used. In fact the second time I sheltered there I dry cooked at the shelter. And made sure I filled up the water bottles at the previous location south of the shelter.