PDA

View Full Version : AT with only a knife!!!

The Hunted
03-20-2006, 12:16
Hey folks,

What do you all think would be the feasibility of hiking the whole AT (Georgia to Maine) with only a 6" survival knife?

I am thinking about also taking a water bottle.

Is this competely insane? Or would the completion of such a journey make me the greatest human being alive?!?!?

Please respond promptly. Thanks a lot.

-The Hunted

txulrich
03-20-2006, 12:37
Hey folks,

What do you all think would be the feasibility of hiking the whole AT (Georgia to Maine) with only a 6" survival knife?

Is this competely insane? Or would the completion of such a journey make me the greatest human being alive?!?!?

-The Hunted

I would take 2 additional items with you. The first would be some form of identification, so that your remains can be easily identified. The second would be a credit card, so that your estate can be charged the expenses of returning your remains.

Seriously, while I believe that everyone should hike their own hike, that idea is just too far out there.

The Cheat
03-20-2006, 12:44
Hey folks,

-The Hunted

Dear <strike>Lo</strike> The Hunted,

Bring clothes to wear also.

Water bottle is a good idea. You can usually drink out of it, especially if there is water in it.

Insane, no. Greatest human being alive, also no.

Your welcome.

-The Cheat

Ender
03-20-2006, 12:47
You can hike, or you can hunt/scavenge for food. You can't do both, at least for a duration of longer than a week, unless you're a master tracker hunter scavenger. And even then, it's doubtful. Lewis and Clark took a huge supply of provisions with them, huge, not to mention the full team to haul the provisions, and they honestly barely made it out west.

Disney
03-20-2006, 12:48
I heard a rumor that somebody had done the 100 mile wilderness with only a knife.

But, there's going to be a serious problem with food. If you're hiking, you can't set traps and come back to check them. There are natural food sources on the AT but there's also alot of other hikers who are looking for those quick and easy food sources.

Can it be done? Yes, probably. Can it be done in a season? I doubt it. But that would definetely be one trail journal i would be interested in reading.

Dances with Mice
03-20-2006, 12:49
What do you all think would be the feasibility of hiking the whole AT (Georgia to Maine) with only a 6" survival knife? ... I am thinking about also taking a water bottle....What kind of water bottle? Nalgene?

max patch
03-20-2006, 12:49
Dear <strike>Lo</strike> The Hunted,

Good one! First thing I thought of too.

Mags
03-20-2006, 12:52
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/troller.htm

:)

kyhipo
03-20-2006, 13:00
well I reckin if one could repeat rambo on the AT it would be a sight!to walk up to a shelter with a wild boar cooking on a open fire and a man with a survival knife.:D ky

longshank
03-20-2006, 13:01
I'm going to do it with a paper clip and a piece of gum.

Mike
03-20-2006, 13:28

I heard that a canned McGuyver episode had him taking on the AT with dental floss and an old sock....

priceless;)

Whiskyjo
03-20-2006, 13:31
Great idea bud. Plenty of mice in the shelters to eat. Once you have all them eaten, on up in the summers the yellow jackets are so giving you can take your pick.

Ender
03-20-2006, 13:33
What kind of water bottle? Nalgene?

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!:banana

Good stuff.

TJ aka Teej
03-20-2006, 13:33

1) Why not make it harder and go Maine to Georgia?
2) 'Whole trail'? Will you swim or ford the Kennebec?
3) What makes a knife a 'survival' knife?
4) How much does the knife weigh?
5) Boiled or steamed?

hammock engineer
03-20-2006, 13:40
I think I will try that this year. I will attach a 6" blade to my pack making them one item. The contents of my pack will become the survival part of the survival knife.

Seems pretty easy to me.

Mouse
03-20-2006, 14:29
Be sure to tape on a cellphone preset with the number to every pizza place along the way!
:banana

woodsy
03-20-2006, 14:37
Go for it!

Green Bean
03-20-2006, 14:37
I know i wouldn't hike the AT with just a 6" survival knife but for food i would go into town and go behind restraunts and grocery stores and root through the dumpsters. Doesn't sound to good but some grocery stores throw out some good food still packaged, but maybe expired only for a day or two or even sometimes that day. GOOD LUCK!! ~GB

Ender
03-20-2006, 15:06
Oh boy... here it comes.

Adom
03-20-2006, 18:03
Tom Brown Jr. lived a year out in the wilds with nothing but a knife.

It's definitly possible jut improbable.

mrmike48/4000
03-20-2006, 18:13
You Might Want Some Duct Tape To Go With That Knife...

Old Spice
03-20-2006, 19:49

Tom Brown Jr. was supposedly trained from his youth by the last Apache scout. I highly doubt this is the case here.

icemanat95
03-20-2006, 20:00
Hey folks,

-The Hunted

Unless you are Tom Brown, you shouldn't try it.

Sure Benicio Del Torro's character in the movie of the same name as your online handle is kind of a cool character, but that was fiction. When Tom Brown went into the Pine Barrens of New Jersey with nothing but a knife, it almost killed him, and he had a set of survival skills and an intimate knowledge of that territory bred over a lifetime of experience on that ground.

He had to spend extraordinary periods of his day hunting and gathering food for himself, finding or building shelter and making the equipment he needed to sustain himself on a day-to-day basis. You cannot do all that and continue to travel on the trail.

If you insist on giving it a whack, your first move should be to enroll in every course Tom Brown's school has to offer and spend a lot of time in the woods testing and practicing what you learned. Then have at it, but don't expect to make that many miles each day...if any.

mdionne
03-20-2006, 20:07
i personally find it rather difficult to eat my ramens and liptons properly with just a knife...good luck buddy!

ed bell
03-20-2006, 20:31
Hey folks,

-The Hunted
I am confident in saying if you have to ask the question, then you do not have the ability.:sun

bigben
03-20-2006, 20:40
You could probably do it if you REALLY know what you're doing and are a consumate outdoorsman. I mean, angler, hunter, trapper, etc. But laws prohibit you from doing what you'd have to do to make it. If it were 1790 and there were no Native Americans trying to kill you, I'd say yes. Today, no way.

Bigben

Dances with Mice
03-20-2006, 20:45
It's EASY to find food on the Trail. There's all kinds of food hanging in bright nylon bags just outside of shelters each night.

A man with a knife could cut them down and eat like a king.

Skidsteer
03-20-2006, 20:54
It's EASY to find food on the Trail. There's all kinds of food hanging in bright nylon bags just outside of shelters each night.

A man with a knife could cut them down and eat like a king.

Dude, you keep it up and I'm gonna wet myself.:D

Disney
03-20-2006, 20:59
Tom Brown Jr. was supposedly trained from his youth by the last Apache scout. I highly doubt this is the case here.

He says he's from Annapolis. Sounds like an overeager Squid (Naval Academy Midshipman) who fancies himself a SEAL.
Or a real SEAL who fancies himself a survivalist.
Or a survivalist who fancies himself a hiker.
Or a hiker with some strange fancies.

neo
03-20-2006, 21:02
usually all i carry is this,average price is 12.00 to 15.00 bucks:cool: neo

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Product.htm?category=everyday&product=54091&

betic4lyf
03-20-2006, 21:49
difficult: quite

Greatest person ever: only on completion

:D

stag3
03-20-2006, 22:24
Okay, since nobody has wants to join Hunter, how about that "Survivor" guy on tv--the one who gets dropped off in some remote place and then seems to do okay?

Skidsteer
03-20-2006, 22:31
Okay, since nobody has wants to join Hunter, how about that "Survivor" guy on tv--the one who gets dropped off in some remote place and then seems to do okay?

I saw the episode where he starts a fire with Fritos! I tried it and it works really well.

DaSchwartz
03-20-2006, 22:36
I do wonder how Eric Rudolph (the Olympic bomber & felon) managed to survive out there. Did he ever state how he did it? I'm sure he had help or was a dumpster diver.

I guess one could survive off just a knife and water bottles if they relied on drop boxes and other yogi methods to suppliment if hiking the entire AT. But I doubt it.

mambo_tango
03-20-2006, 22:37
I am going to hike the whole trail with a personal hair stylist and a gourmet chef. Think I can do it?

DawnTreader
03-20-2006, 23:08
I'm hiking the trail this summer with a snorkel and a rubber band........don't ask

stag3
03-20-2006, 23:20
First, the abortion clinic bomber(or did he kill a abortion doctor) who hid out inthe mountains for years PLEASE--let's not make this a political thread.

Second is the guy who parachuted from a plane with lots of $$$$$$--was it over Oregon, maybe 20 years ago. Never heard the final story on him.

Skidsteer
03-20-2006, 23:27
I'm hiking the trail this summer with a snorkel and a rubber band........don't ask

:-? Underwater snakebite phobia?

ed bell
03-20-2006, 23:34
Second is the guy who parachuted from a plane with lots of $$$$$$--was it over Oregon, maybe 20 years ago. Never heard the final story on him.
D.B. Cooper/ never found

Dances with Mice
03-20-2006, 23:50
I do wonder how Eric Rudolph (the Olympic bomber & felon) managed to survive out there. Did he ever state how he did it? I'm sure he had help or was a dumpster diver.Rudy robbed corn cribs and dumpsters. In his own words: http://www.armyofgod.com/EricRudolphTil.html

SalParadise
03-20-2006, 23:51
Not that I believe the guy is actually serious about doing this, but still, it's amazing the people who haven't hiked the Trail before and have so much vanity, or just such a lack of respect for how difficult the Trail really is that there's always one or two people who have to make a gimmick out of the whole trip.

KirkMcquest
03-21-2006, 00:52

A. I highly doubt you know anything about Hunted

B. Tom brown Jr. wasn't hiking 12 miles a day and still laying traps/hunting.

C. Hunted certainly will have my vote for most amazing person if he pulls it off.

D. He never will. There's just not enough TIME to do all it would take (not to mention energy expenditure vs. calories consumed)

Moxie00
03-21-2006, 09:40
Your goal is actually much more simple than others make it. What you do is hide behind a tree between road crossings and shelters and using your knife jump out and rob the first hiker going in the other direction. By the time they report it you will be miles away. Every day you can use different gear and a wide variety of food. Many trail towns have convience stores, gas stations, and even perhaps an occasional hostel you can hold up. As firearms are not allowed on the trail you don't have to worry about another hiker shooting you but use caution in town. I would suggest you use a very dull knife, perhaps a butter knife. so no one gets hurt if they resist.:-?

sparky2000
03-21-2006, 10:00
DB Cooper is said to be an alysis of a guy who died in jail yers later.
The abortion bomber was aided by a few locals.
The knife hiker needs to practice bear attacks on food hangers.

KirkMcquest
03-21-2006, 17:01
When Tom Brown went into the Pine Barrens of New Jersey with nothing but a knife, it almost killed him,

I would like to take this opportunity to diverge slightly from our topic, to address the pine barrens, a place that lives on in my darkest nightmares. I have hesitated for a long time in posting this information, for fear of arousing your disbelief. At the mention of the place, I could restrain myself no longer and resolved to warn you all about this place.

The pine barrens is an evil place, my friends, frought with perils, not the least of which are the squatters, known as 'pineys'. The permitted existance of these miscreants, for GENERATIONS, is a mystery, no doubt akin to that of the many hiker disappearances. From my own experience, I contend that these folk are among the most barbarous, subtle, and bloodthirsty wretches that ever contaminated the face of the globe. I had the displeasure of seeing one of there villages, which was comprised of hovels of the most miserable description imaginable, and were of no uniform plan.

On top of the presence of deranged degenerates, the Pine Barrens have been witness to human sacrifice, murder, buried corpses, and other crimes against humanity, too gruesome to mention. A sense of evil pervades here, and is sewn seemlessly into the trees, the ground, and the very air. The term 'barren' is not a misnomer, because no decent seed would ever condescend to take root in such unwholesome ground. Instead, the barrens are home to foul and scrawny looking pines, thorn bushes, and assorted weeds.

Home to mythos, fable, and macabre folk lore, the locals never go in there for fear of the 'jersey devil'. The JD is said to have been unnaturally conceived by a witch in the seventeen hundreds. According to legend, this loathesome beast prowls the one million odd acres of the barrens, seeking human victims. I do not believe in the JD, but attribute his existance to the pineys. Whatever you believe, stay out of the New Jersey Pine Barrens. It is a dangerous place and if Tom Brown Jr. made it out of there alive, he's one hell of a man.

blindeye
03-21-2006, 17:11
i was going to try with vice grips and duct tape!
seriously, the only question i have is WHY?

blindeye
03-21-2006, 17:22
i think the cops actually caught him because he was in town dumpster diving. didn't they?

peter_pan
03-21-2006, 17:48
Why take a crutch? Is there is a sereous lack of education going on here....if you know what your doing and plan no contact with others, and are willing to invest years on the journey, nothing but knowledge and personal skill is needed... lose the knife and learn to knap one whenever needed from available rock/stone...Our ancestors did it this way...

Pan

RockyTrail
03-21-2006, 18:02
Hey folks,

-The Hunted

I would take a pair of pants, or if not, a good first aid kit

woodsy
03-21-2006, 18:08
The Hunted, would most likely become the greatest begging leach that thru-hikers have ever met. Anyone want to carry extra food/gear to support his whole hike?

Mountain Hippie
03-22-2006, 02:56
I would take a pair of pants, or if not, a good first aid kit
And bail money

Trail Dog
03-22-2006, 08:27

is the gum in the wrapper or pre chewed?

and yoru leaving your light sabre at home?

Kerosene
03-22-2006, 08:57
You've gotta take the light saber. A knife just isn't sufficient to fend off those wild boar.

hobbit
03-22-2006, 09:33
what are you gonna sleep in the shelters with no pad or anything or are you gonna go all out and make your own shelter every night???

father of the hunted
03-22-2006, 12:45
:banana i was certain that the hunted was getting in over his head.:eek: you nice folks have confirmed my fears.

thanks for injecting a large dose of reality. the hunted is not into dumpster diving!:jump

p.s. love your smilies!:dance

longshank
03-22-2006, 12:52
I would like to take this opportunity to diverge slightly from our topic, to address the pine barrens, a place that lives on in my darkest nightmares. I have hesitated for a long time in posting this information, for fear of arousing your disbelief. At the mention of the place, I could restrain myself no longer and resolved to warn you all about this place.

The pine barrens is an evil place, my friends, frought with perils, not the least of which are the squatters, known as 'pineys'. The permitted existance of these miscreants, for GENERATIONS, is a mystery, no doubt akin to that of the many hiker disappearances. From my own experience, I contend that these folk are among the most barbarous, subtle, and bloodthirsty wretches that ever contaminated the face of the globe. I had the displeasure of seeing one of there villages, which was comprised of hovels of the most miserable description imaginable, and were of no uniform plan.

On top of the presence of deranged degenerates, the Pine Barrens have been witness to human sacrifice, murder, buried corpses, and other crimes against humanity, too gruesome to mention. A sense of evil pervades here, and is sewn seemlessly into the trees, the ground, and the very air. The term 'barren' is not a misnomer, because no decent seed would ever condescend to take root in such unwholesome ground. Instead, the barrens are home to foul and scrawny looking pines, thorn bushes, and assorted weeds.

Home to mythos, fable, and macabre folk lore, the locals never go in there for fear of the 'jersey devil'. The JD is said to have been unnaturally conceived by a witch in the seventeen hundreds. According to legend, this loathesome beast prowls the one million odd acres of the barrens, seeking human victims. I do not believe in the JD, but attribute his existance to the pineys. Whatever you believe, stay out of the New Jersey Pine Barrens. It is a dangerous place and if Tom Brown Jr. made it out of there alive, he's one hell of a man.
Heed the words of the wise McQuest. I, too, have seen with these very eyes what lies deep in the barrens, and lived to recount the tale.

I won't do that here.

What I will say is that woe and great pain will fall upon he who dares desecrate the Barrens. Do not enter the place where hope goes to die if you value your life.

AbeHikes
03-22-2006, 13:15
Hey folks,

-The Hunted

Lobster? Lobster?

Streamweaver
03-22-2006, 20:01

Actually it isnt possible! Unless you like the thought of spending alot of time behind bars! Poaching is taken pretty seriously ! You dont just go and snare food when you want,that is called poaching. Now if I was going to try it,Id have to take along at least one hand grenade!! One shot in the right place and you would have all the fish you could carry!!

KirkMcquest
03-22-2006, 21:13
Heed the words of the wise McQuest. I, too, have seen with these very eyes what lies deep in the barrens, and lived to recount the tale.

I won't do that here.

What I will say is that woe and great pain will fall upon he who dares desecrate the Barrens. Do not enter the place where hope goes to die if you value your life.

You are very brave to come foreward with this info.. As you know I have witnessed the inhuman rites and foul doings of that God forsaken hell mouth, which would turn even the stoutest heart slack with horror.:eek:

Disney
03-22-2006, 23:23

I won't do that here.

I find this fascinating, are there any books or newspaper articles on the subject? I'm quite a long ways away from Jersey so I have no way of knowing if this is an out and out story, more of an urban legend, stretching the truth, or accurate report. I would like to know more though.

Disney
03-22-2006, 23:25
I am going to hike the whole trail with a personal hair stylist and a gourmet chef. Think I can do it?

Jack's a gourmet chef, and I'm quite sure he'd consent to hiking with you. As for the hair stylist, the image that comes to mind is the scene from Spaceballs with the industrial strength hair dryer being carried through the desert because she "can't live without it."

Either way, go for it.

mambo_tango
03-23-2006, 01:33
Jack's a gourmet chef, and I'm quite sure he'd consent to hiking with you. As for the hair stylist, the image that comes to mind is the scene from Spaceballs with the industrial strength hair dryer being carried through the desert because she "can't live without it."

Either way, go for it.

LOL. I actually asked my sister if she wanted to go to a culinary school and a beauty school this year but we both decided that it would be too dangerous to let her have scissors or to attempt making any food too complicated. Oh well. I guess I will learn how to live with unkempt hair and crappy food.

longshank
03-23-2006, 03:54
LOL. I actually asked my sister if she wanted to go to a culinary school and a beauty school this year but we both decided that it would be too dangerous to let her have scissors or to attempt making any food too complicated. Oh well. I guess I will learn how to live with unkempt hair and crappy food.
I'm actually quite the amateur chef. look forward to some fun shelter banquets in "07, mambo. I've been honing trail recipies for quite awhile, now.

brancher
03-23-2006, 08:05
I find this fascinating, are there any books or newspaper articles on the subject? I'm quite a long ways away from Jersey so I have no way of knowing if this is an out and out story, more of an urban legend, stretching the truth, or accurate report. I would like to know more though.

Yeah. Wonder about it - whether something is there or whether these guys are tryig to keep a great secret to themselves. Kinda like the Dismal Swamp - full of renegade Indians and dinosaurs and sabre toothed tigers and such (but I haven't seen any, although I think I got picked up by a UFO there once....).

woodsy
03-23-2006, 08:34
Yeah. Wonder about it - whether something is there or whether these guys are tryig to keep a great secret to themselves. Kinda like the Dismal Swamp - full of renegade Indians and dinosaurs and sabre toothed tigers and such (but I haven't seen any, although I think I got picked up by a UFO there once....).

I think 'The Thing' is called the Jersey devil. It survives with only a 6" knife and water bottle and this is why it preys on hikers and campers.

maxNcathy
03-23-2006, 09:06
What's with the knife and water bottle?

All sorts of animals have roamed the woods for centuries. Have you ever seen any of them carrying a knife or water bottle?

sparky2000
03-23-2006, 09:58
My brother who lives in Jersey has mentioned the JD.

The Cheat
03-23-2006, 10:17
There's a bunch of those New Jersey Devils. You can see pictures at this website:

http://tinyurl.com/ozodl

Streamweaver
03-23-2006, 12:32

All sorts of animals have roamed the woods for centuries. Have you ever seen any of them carrying a knife or water bottle?

Not many animals hike from Georgia to Maine! Most hikers dont have claws and long sharp teeth!

Streamweaver
03-23-2006, 12:42

I was born in Jersey and they story I was always told was that a Piney woman(pineys were like hillbillys but lived in the Pine Barrens) was raising 12 kids by herself and she was pretty much off her rocker to begin with.When she up and gave birth to a 13th child ,who was deformed and a bit crazy himself,she threw him out into the woods ,where he survived on his own by doing some pretty nasty things and became known as the Jersey devil.

My cousin swears he saw the Devil when he was about 12 on a boy scout trip. We did alot of Hiking,canoeing and camping in the barrens years ago.It was easy to see how these stories can get started! When it got dark in the Barrens ,it got dark!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

KirkMcquest
03-23-2006, 13:13

Well I'll tell ya. What I wrote, though a little dramatic for effect, is pretty much true. There are squatters within the park called 'pineys', I have seen one of there villages and it pretty much matches the description I gave, not much more than piled up garbage. Yes, alot of folk have disappeared in the barrens, which may be partly explained by the fact that its a huge navigational nightmare. The trees are very close, and the land is flat as a pancake, making it almost impossible to pick out any singular land marks. There are narrow little sand roads criss/crossing the barrens that lead to old abandoned villages, and what-not.

The mob has been burying corpses in there for decades, and there are rumors of devil worship and human sacrifice having gone on in there. Feel free to check it out, if you insist, but I'll tell you honestly, I HATE the pine barrens. The hiking sucks ( flat as a flapjack), the pineys are freaks, and I swear the place just feels 'wrong' somehow. As for the Jersey Devil, if there's anywhere on earth that a supernatural fiend exists, it's definitly there.

Lion King
03-23-2006, 13:45
First of, good luck, secondly, if you do this and use the kindness of strangers you will quickly gain a reputation as something that will make every mile and every stop miserable.

The Trail gods will frown and beat you down.

Do you expect on a bad day to get to shelter and have someone get out so you can have a spot because you arent ready for snow/rain/lightening/wind/hornets/bees/ants/mice/tornados/random rodents etc..?

If you seek misery, this is a fine idea.

Brock
03-23-2006, 14:49
This idea reminds me of Chris Mccandless
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_McCandless
Christopher J. "Alexander Supertramp" McCandless (February 12 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_12), 1968 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968) – August (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August), 1992 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992)) was a young man who gained some notoriety in the early 1990s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990s) after he took a nomadic journey around North America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America), terminating with his death in the Alaskan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska) wilderness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilderness). He spent several months in the spring and summer of 1992 living in an old abandoned bus just outside of Denali National Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali_National_Park). He lived off the land, bringing with him only a small amount of rice and a hunting rifle, which he used to hunt game. He also subsisted on lingonberries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingonberries) and other things he found while foraging. In all, he survived a total of 113 days in the bush.

Disney
03-23-2006, 15:03

Alot of shampoos and conditioners are all herbal stuff. Just learn to recognize all the possible plants and make your own. The same thing would go for cooking I suppose. You could pick all the spicy stuff and make Mambo-Tango-Salsa!

woodsy
03-23-2006, 15:06

I don't recall saying the jersey devil was a animal. Maybe that is what you fanasized it to be.

mambo_tango
03-23-2006, 15:34
This idea reminds me of Chris Mccandless
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_McCandless
Christopher J. "Alexander Supertramp" McCandless (February 12 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_12), 1968 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968) – August (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August), 1992 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992)) was a young man who gained some notoriety in the early 1990s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990s) after he took a nomadic journey around North America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America), terminating with his death in the Alaskan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska) wilderness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilderness). He spent several months in the spring and summer of 1992 living in an old abandoned bus just outside of Denali National Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali_National_Park). He lived off the land, bringing with him only a small amount of rice and a hunting rifle, which he used to hunt game. He also subsisted on lingonberries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingonberries) and other things he found while foraging. In all, he survived a total of 113 days in the bush.

Yeah and he ate things that helped him starve to death (H. alpinium). Only the roots are edible and he ate the toxic seed pods. It has swainsonine which prevents you from getting any benefit from what you eat. He was also a mere 6 miles from a park service cabin. I read 'Into the Wild' and it was pretty interesting. Had stories of several people trying to live off the land.

DAY 100! MADE IT!

BUT IN WEAKEST CONDITION OF LIFE. DEATH LOOMS AS SERIOUS THREAT. TOO WEAK TO WALK OUT, HAVE LITERALLY BECOME TRAPPED IN THE WILD.

mambo_tango
03-23-2006, 15:36
You could pick all the spicy stuff and make Mambo-Tango-Salsa!

Does have a ring to it! :-?

longshank
03-23-2006, 15:44
McCandless was doing quite well until he ate the seeds. He took down a small moose with his .22 rifle, he was bagging all kinds of game...those seeds he ate prevented his body from absorbing nutrition from the food he ate. If not for that single error, he would've made it out.

KirkMcquest
03-23-2006, 15:51
McCandless was doing quite well until he ate the seeds. He took down a small moose with his .22 rifle, he was bagging all kinds of game...those seeds he ate prevented his body from absorbing nutrition from the food he ate. If not for that single error, he would've made it out.

That's correct 'shanks,he made some mistakes that proved to be fatal. I guess that's how it always goes in situations where people don't make it. I could never understand being trapped a mere six miles from help, though. Supposedly there was a major river that swelled up and kept him there, but it seems like he just didn't even try.

Lion King
03-23-2006, 16:29
That's correct 'shanks,he made some mistakes that proved to be fatal. I guess that's how it always goes in situations where people don't make it. I could never understand being trapped a mere six miles from help, though. Supposedly there was a major river that swelled up and kept him there, but it seems like he just didn't even try.

Plus if he would have walked A HALF MILE down stream he would have seen the...bucket that goes above the water...damn it, what are they called????

One of those things anyway, he was impressive to a point and ridiculous to other points.

He could have gotten out, or it would seem so.

I would have burnt that Bus to the ground (OR at least the rooted tires) if worse came to worse, someone would have seen it from one of the many ranger stations that surrounded that area.

Mags
03-23-2006, 17:16
THe other item to keep in mind was that he did not have maps. He burnt them to have more of a "wilderness" experience. By burning his maps, he was not aware of his salvation a mere 1/2 mile away..or even a point to cross the stream where it was lower.

Many Alaskans were upset by this line of thought. He was barely into the wild by almost any standards, much less Alaskan standards. Basic woods knowledge would have saved his *ss. (Reading a map).

It is a good read though. Many people grapple with the try to live a simple "wilderness" existence in an increasingly complex age. I am sure it is a story that can resonate with many of us. Luckily, many of us made choices that do not end in the same grisly way.

Oh yeah, the name of the book is "INTO THE WILD" by Jon Krakauer (yes, same guy who did INTO THIN AIR).

Lion King
03-23-2006, 20:10
THe other item to keep in mind was that he did not have maps. He burnt them to have more of a "wilderness" experience. By burning his maps, he was not aware of his salvation a mere 1/2 mile away..or even a point tao cross the stream where it was lower.

Many Alaskans were upset by this line of thought. He was barely into the wild by almost any standards, much less Alaskan standards. Basic woods knowledge would have saved his *ss. (Reading a map).

It is a good read though. Many people grapple with the try to live a simple "wilderness" existence in an increasingly complex age. I am sure it is a story that can resonate with many of us. Luckily, many of us made choices that do not end in the same grisly way.

Oh yeah, the name of the book is "INTO THE WILD" by Jon Krakauer (yes, same guy who did INTO THIN AIR).

and EIGER DREAMS, also a great read.

bfitz
03-23-2006, 20:36
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/troller.htm

:)
............:D

fiddlehead
03-23-2006, 22:32

Yeah but he didn't hike. (in his book, he often enjoys watching one square metre of space for up to 3 days!)
I am a firm believer in the "Anything that turns you on can be done if it's your only priority in life" Of course you CAN do it. Are you going to enjoy it? I agree you would probably have to eat out of dumpsters and most always in town. you didn't say how long the hike would take. so, i am sure it is possible. I like your ideas even though you didn't say how you would eat. I am not into killing our dwindling animal population. I have hiked in France and saw how little to no wild animals there were there.
But, why carry a knife? I would rather have a sleeping bag if i was only to carry one thing (and the water bottle although you could probably find some road kill and use a raccoon stomach for one in a pinch. )

rickb
03-23-2006, 23:06
Good point about the racoon stomach. If you used a porqupine stomach your water would have a disgusting turpentine flavor.

mambo_tango
03-23-2006, 23:09
I take it you tried it before??? LOL

sdoownek
03-24-2006, 18:43
someone would have seen it from one of the many ranger stations that surrounded that area.

What "ranger stations" are you talking about? The closest thing even resembling a "ranger station" was the hut at Eightmile Lake at the end of Stampede Road. It's not there anymore, AK DOT moved it somewhere else a couple of years ago. Anyhow, after eightmile lake, stampede road isn't really a road anymore, it's more of a trail. It is an RS2477 trail, so the state and the feds argue over who's got control.....ok, tangent. I'll stop.

Last time I was in that area, there was a antenna service hut thing up on Primrose Ridge, but.....eh, other than that, there's not much around that area. The NPS road is a couple miles to the south..........yeah. Not so much around in that area. No huts, no nothing.

Burning anything would have, eh, just created a fire. Never been to Alaska in the summer, have ya? (That's the second time I've said that today!) We've got lots and lots and LOTS of fires.
Ask Mambo. She'll tell you.

The Desperado
03-25-2006, 11:56
Wow! Go for it..................lots of folks collect knives in this area, although I expect some southern collector will get your knive first.

HIKER7s
03-27-2006, 14:05
LOL

And the one thing you havent told us is that you also going to have 10,000 dollars on you and stay off the trail each night, eh.

Lone Wolf
03-27-2006, 14:06
Hey folks,

-The Hunted
Sounds like some Tom Brown bulls**t.:rolleyes:

neo
03-27-2006, 14:12
Sounds like some Tom Brown bulls**t.:rolleyes:

:D do ya still love her lonewolf:cool: neo

http://www.hillary.org/

cabbagehead
02-10-2013, 12:39
Exposure is the biggest killer, so you need enough clothes.

A flashlight is nice because if you hike during the night (when it's cold) you don't need as much clothing. But then the stores wouldn't be open for buying food.

Wise Old Owl
02-10-2013, 12:48
Uh Cabbagehead.... the Hunted - started this thread in 2006 and has not been back since that year.

Karma13
02-10-2013, 13:00
Uh Cabbagehead.... the Hunted - started this thread in 2006 and has not been back since that year.

Probably because he went hiking with nothing but a knife!

Wise Old Owl
02-10-2013, 13:16
See what happens when you hike with a razor blade.... ya don't make it.

Coffee Rules!
02-10-2013, 13:38
I guess we know how cabbagehead got the name.

tjkenney67
02-10-2013, 14:49
Chuck Norris could do it with a butter knife....

Coffee Rules!
02-10-2013, 14:51
Chuck Norris could do it with a butter knife....

**Barfs**

Okay this place has officially jumped the shark.

JAK
02-10-2013, 14:59
I'm going with just 50 eggs, hard boiled.

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 15:19
I think it could be done without the knife....but why take a chance.

Slo-go'en
02-10-2013, 15:26
A friend of mine had a rare book written by a guy who lived for a summer in the woods of Maine. What made it interesting was he started butt naked! He went off into the woods (in June no less), with out a stich of clothes or any gear what so ever. And lived to tell about it. The first picture was of him getting ready to head into the woods, by ripping his clothes off. Of course, this happened in the early 1930's....

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 15:47
A friend of mine had a rare book written by a guy who lived for a summer in the woods of Maine. What made it interesting was he started butt naked! He went off into the woods (in June no less), with out a stich of clothes or any gear what so ever. And lived to tell about it. The first picture was of him getting ready to head into the woods, by ripping his clothes off. Of course, this happened in the early 1930's....Yep, they growed up different back then...stronger stock I spose.

Coffee Rules!
02-10-2013, 15:52
I'm going with just 50 eggs, hard boiled.

I'd hate to be hiking behind you.

DavidNH
02-10-2013, 16:21
Hey folks,

-The Hunted

I'll make this easy.. your chances are slim to none. yes you are completely insane.. though your stupidity more than makes up for your insanity. Your first heavy cold rain and this hike is over.

Mags
02-10-2013, 17:57
Zombie thread from 2006! :)

Tinker
02-10-2013, 18:00
................Too late to respond to original poster promptly.............. sorry about that :p

hikerboy57
02-10-2013, 18:06
Hey folks,

-The Hunted

i would go with an 8".
ive been told 6" is inadequate

Doc
02-10-2013, 18:07
A friend of mine had a rare book written by a guy who lived for a summer in the woods of Maine. What made it interesting was he started butt naked! He went off into the woods (in June no less), with out a stich of clothes or any gear what so ever. And lived to tell about it. The first picture was of him getting ready to head into the woods, by ripping his clothes off. Of course, this happened in the early 1930's.... I think that if you look further into this stunt you will find that he was eventually found to be a fraud. Such stunts were all the rage at that time as a device to boost readership in the papers that covered them.

Capt Nat
02-10-2013, 18:07
So with a 10" Rambo knife I should be good to go!

Pathfinder1
02-10-2013, 20:48
Hi...

Not having heard anything more from you, I must presume that you have become a statistical fragment.

Troll, troll, troll your boat gently down the stream... ... ... ...!! :D

sent from my tapadance

Wise Old Owl
02-10-2013, 21:33
I am amazed folks are replying to someone who is no longer here.

bfayer
02-10-2013, 21:46
I am amazed folks are replying to someone who is no longer here.

Its just proof that internet trolls are not a new concept and people will keep feeding them forever.

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 21:49
Its just proof that internet trolls are not a new concept and people will keep feeding them forever.They preform a necessary function, banter and dialog.....still a pretty good tread

Alligator
02-10-2013, 22:02
Hey folks,

-The HuntedBy promptly he meant, within the next 11 minutes, as that was how long he was here. Closed.