PDA

View Full Version : Parking & Shuttle near Atkins

CrossbowAT
09-30-2020, 14:54
I would like to park in the Atkins, VA area and hike from Massie Gap back to the location.
Any recommendations on a safe place to park and shuttles?

stephanD
10-01-2020, 14:47
you have a bunch of hostels in that area and all are great.

blazercoach
03-23-2021, 11:51
I would like to park in the Atkins, VA area and hike from Massie Gap back to the location.
Any recommendations on a safe place to park and shuttles?

I'd like to revive this thread for March 2021. Advice? Names? Phone numbers?

Gambit McCrae
03-23-2021, 14:00
I used to use Skip and Linda around the Atkin's area but Skip has passed away.

May be able to get Don Raines( whiteblaze member via ratface) or BUBBA to help out, you will have to research their phone numbers and jurisdictions. Also Lonewolf, whiteblaze member, does shuttle regularly.

Seatbelt
03-23-2021, 16:12
Bubba - 276-730-5869, I am pretty sure you can park at the Barn Restaurant right by the I-81 exit. Don Raines - 540-921-7433. both are good, reliable.

Lone Wolf
03-23-2021, 16:35
I'd like to revive this thread for March 2021. Advice? Names? Phone numbers?

when? i'm based in Damascus.

blazercoach
03-26-2021, 08:18
I've gotten a ride with Wolf a couple of times :) Atkins is a little far north for him. But if you're near and around Damascus, I HIGHLY recommend connecting with him!

bigcranky
03-26-2021, 09:54
This is from last year's Companion. They did say they would let us leave a car there, but I don't know if that's a general policy. Worth a call. The alpacas are darn cute.

Long Neck Lair Alpaca Farm is 3/10 mile from access points to the Appalachian Trail (Atkins). Accommodations include tent sites $18 per person/night, bunkhouse $35 per person/per night, private room with bath $78 per person/night (inclusive of state and local taxes). Laundry and continental breakfast offered at no charge to guests staying at our farm. Amenities include Wifi, mail drop, limited shuttle service, farm store with some hiker resupply. 276-698-2079

atraildreamer
03-26-2021, 12:18
I used to use Skip and Linda around the Atkin's area but Skip has passed away.

May be able to get Don Raines( whiteblaze member via ratface) or BUBBA to help out, you will have to research their phone numbers and jurisdictions. Also Lonewolf, whiteblaze member, does shuttle regularly.

Go to the WhiteBlaze home page: https://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php

Click on "Shuttle Providers".

All the information you will need is there as a free, downloadable PDF file that is regularly updated.

All of the shuttle, parking, hostel, etc., information is also included in the latest edition of WhiteBlaze Pages Guide Book, which is also listed on the home page. You can buy a hard copy, or electronic version.