PDA

View Full Version : Applying Silicone to Thermarest

PoppaZ
03-20-2006, 18:29
I'm trying to apply a layer of Silicone to my tent/pad (Thermarest full length Prolite3 and Tarptent Squall 2) to minimize the slipping and sliding that happens with silnylon. Would it work well to apply the silicone directly onto the base of the Thermarest?

Thanks

Z

stag3
03-20-2006, 22:12
I have a t'rest and had the same problem in my hammock...2 AM and it is sideways. I got some "shelf liner" at Wal mart. This is the waffle looking stuff, white, and soft and sticky to the touch. There is a regular duty and heavy duty. Since then I've seen the same stuff at other places.

I added 4- 4x4 inch squares to my t'rest, down the center, one under the shoulder area, one under the butt area, one near my feet and the fourth is under my back. This stopped the sliding completely. I used some 3M heavy duty spray glue, but after a year it is loosing grip. Sticks to the t'rest, but so-so on the shelf liner. Next time I'll try a different adhesive.

Other options....just use the 3M spray. Someone on WB suggested a few stripes of silicon sealant.

You do not need to cover the entire t'rest surface to solve this problem

Stag

PoppaZ
03-21-2006, 06:07
Thanks for the suggestions. I was planning on using GE's Silicone sealant. Will I have any problems rolling my T-rest down to its smallest size possible with the silicone on it?

Thanks
Z

hikerjohnd
03-21-2006, 10:22
When I seam sealed my tent (using the method outlined at tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com/faq.html)) I used the extra to 'paint' silicone stripes on the underside of my t-rest. Once it dried it worked like a dream - no longer do I wake up on the ground and I do not have any significant weight added (less than 1/2 ounce for 8 - 2" stripes). I can still roll it up to fit in the t-rest stuff sack with no problem - just be sure to fold the silicone to the inside or it will stick trying to put it in the bag and take it out.

swift
03-21-2006, 16:51
I've found that GE silicone sealant will peel off with repeated abrasion but Silnet works pretty well for that application. Also, flowable silicone windshield and glass sealer does an excellent job and it's the only stuff I've found that will persistently seal silicone-impregnated nylon other than Silnet. Advance Auto and some other discount auto parts stores carry it under the Permatex brand name for 1/3 the price of Silnet.