PDA

View Full Version : Tenn 19E Parking

Whack-a-mole
10-09-2020, 21:12
The AT guide mentions frequent vandalism at the 19E road crossing in Tenn north of Roan Mtn. Is there somewhere close that would be safer to park. Could also use shuttle recommendations for the area. Thanks for any advise you can send my way.

Captain Blue
10-09-2020, 21:26
Mountain Harbour Hostel & B&B

TNhiker
10-09-2020, 22:03
yeah........

and they are just downhill, maybe a 5-10 minute roadwalk..........

they do charge, so be prepared for that.....

and they should also be able to do a shuttle for ya......

they did for me but this was a few years ago before one of the owners passed away...

i think they are still doing them though but if not, i would think they would know how would.....

Whack-a-mole
10-09-2020, 22:30
Thanks for the info. Will give them a shout. My last 4 hiking trips, and 3 scuba trips have been cancelled by Mother Nature. It’s time to get out and enjoy the outdoors.

Tennessee Viking
10-10-2020, 22:11
I haven't heard of any recent vandalism. But 19E has had a long history of it.

GoldenBear
10-11-2020, 09:11
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/28677-Mountain-Harbour-Bed-and-Breakfast-near-19E?p=2165103&highlight=#post2165103

tunnelbear
10-11-2020, 13:46
If they are still offering it, the breakfast at Mountain Harbour Hostel is highly recommended. It is a short walk from the trail and they have shuttles. Looks like their website has a lot of info. Overnight parking is only $2 a night if you use their shuttle.

Whack-a-mole
10-11-2020, 18:22
I looked up Mountain Harbour and checked out their website. I’m catching a ride with them and leaving my truck there. I feel a little safer with it left somewhere. Thanks for the replies everyone! Definitely helped me out.

greentick
10-13-2020, 16:52
I'll be leaving a vehicle there in a few days and catching a shuttle. Seem very responsive to email and automatic shuttle webpage was easy to use.

Gambit McCrae
10-14-2020, 10:27
Nothing but great things I can say about Mountain Harbor over the years. If you park at MH your worries of vandalism can go to zero.

peakbagger
10-14-2020, 13:32
There was an aggressive competitor to Mountain Harbor for the last few years. I am surprised he hasnt popped up.

The ATC used to post warnings about parking at this crossing and would include links for several previous years of police reports of cars burned and vandalized. Many years ago (1970s) a very ugly incident against AT thru hikers occurred just north of this crossing near an area called Bitter End. The local law enforcement did not deal with the case and the federal government had to get involved to arrest the perps who were local. They went to jail but their relatives and friends in the area did not. I think the Wingfoot guide of the era warned hikers to just hike through the area without making any detours or any contacts with the locals. There were one or two road crossings before the trail headed into woods and unlike most road crossings these were not blazed or signed at all and the trail corridor was maintained one person wide with the branches brushing the hikers shoulders on either side. Once the trail got out of sight of the road it widened out and the blazes restarted. I think I hiked the relo the first year it was open.

Years ago there was info on this incident on Whiteblaze but I have been unable to find it. The event was pre World Wide Web

BlackCloud
10-14-2020, 14:42
I was there last spring. Broken glass everywhere.

Scaper
10-14-2020, 15:22
There was incidences just north of 19e in 1990 the year I thru-hiked. Don Nelan shelter was burned down. Fish hooks were found hanging at eye level. Forest service personnel were confronted. Hikers that year went thru area in big groups and didn`t camp in area. I haven`t heard of any problems this year.

Gambit McCrae
10-14-2020, 15:59
There was incidences just north of 19e in 1990 the year I thru-hiked. Don Nelan shelter was burned down. Fish hooks were found hanging at eye level. Forest service personnel were confronted. Hikers that year went thru area in big groups and didn`t camp in area. I haven`t heard of any problems this year.

Same area as "Dog Row" as I have heard of it on the trail in stories?

GoldenBear
10-14-2020, 16:06
There was incidences just north of 19e in 1990 the year I thru-hiked. Don Nelan shelter was burned down. Fish hooks were found hanging at eye level

Here's a 1994 book mentioning this:
https://tinyurl.com/NelanShelter

And this discussion in 2004, from the Whiteblaze archives:
https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-3550.html