PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol stoves, preferred fuel?

Cold Camp
03-20-2006, 19:08
I have a jug of Everclear grain alcohol which seems to have an advantage over generic hardware-store denatured alcohol in that it is odorless. I see value also in the fact that you can spend your final hours with it should you break a leg and wait by the trailside to die.

Has anyone used both fuels in an alcohol stove and come away with a clear preference?

Keep your stick on the ice,

Cold Camp

Skidsteer
03-20-2006, 19:18
I have a jug of Everclear grain alcohol which seems to have an advantage over generic hardware-store denatured alcohol in that it is odorless. I see value also in the fact that you can spend your final hours with it should you break a leg and wait by the trailside to die.

Has anyone used both fuels in an alcohol stove and come away with a clear preference?

Keep your stick on the ice,

Cold Camp

I've found no difference in performance between the two, sooo...all things being equal, I prefer to be able to drink my stove fuel. :D I don't, however, think Everclear is convenient/feasible for a long-distance hike.

Cold Camp
03-20-2006, 19:36
Why is that, Skid, do you think trioxane or Esbit fuel are lighter over the long haul?

Cold Camp

Skidsteer
03-20-2006, 19:44
Why is that, Skid, do you think trioxane or Esbit fuel are lighter over the long haul?

Cold Camp

They may be but my point is that denatured is much easier to come by and way cheaper than Everclear for a long distance hike.:)

hobbit
03-27-2006, 09:35
plus you won't drink it

Daniel
03-27-2006, 17:28
I would expect a conversation on this topic to be more spirited.

Daniel
03-27-2006, 19:46
Seriously, http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm notes that denatured alchohol has anywhere from 1% to 80% methanol and other poisonous chemicals in it. How can I be sure that I'm getting stuff that won't harm me over a trip the length of the A.T.?

skeeterfeeder
03-27-2006, 20:06
For what it is worth, I prefer Heet in the yellow bottle; Methanol. It is much cheaper and burns hotter than denatured. I found it almost everywhere along the trail.

Dances with Mice
03-27-2006, 20:11
Seriously, http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm notes that denatured alchohol has anywhere from 1% to 80% methanol and other poisonous chemicals in it. How can I be sure that I'm getting stuff that won't harm me over a trip the length of the A.T.?Harm in what way? Pure methanol makes a great fuel but a poisonous drink. Splashing a bit on your skin is harmless, it will evaporate far, far, faster than it can penetrate your skin layers (that's why it feels cold). MSDS warnings and suggested precautions, while quite serious, are targeted for those in chronic exposure conditions found in some industrial situations. A drop or two on your hands over the course of a day should be the least of your worries on a thru-hike.

But if it is...spend the bucks and go with a different fuel or stove. Only you can set your personal cost/benefit ratio.

sdoownek
03-27-2006, 20:12
Seriously, http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm notes that denatured alchohol has anywhere from 1% to 80% methanol and other poisonous chemicals in it. How can I be sure that I'm getting stuff that won't harm me over a trip the length of the A.T.?

Well, first off, I'd recommend not drinking it.
Or drinking Everclear, either, for that matter.

Don't drink it and you'll be fine.
I've got 7500 miles-ish on using an alcohol stove, and I'm still going strong....
While that's not exactly scientifized data, it's a datapoint you can use to make your own decision.

Hikerhead
03-27-2006, 20:26
You can't buy Grain Alcohol in Va anymore, maybe other states as well.
Moonshine yes, which would probably burn just as hot and odorless as Grain.

Daniel
03-27-2006, 20:47
While I don't plan on drinking my fuel (unless I buy some grain alcohol for the giggles), it's likely that I'll be storing my Alcohol Stove inside my cook pot so I don't want anything that would be bad for me contaminating it.

Skidsteer
03-27-2006, 20:57
While I don't plan on drinking my fuel (unless I buy some grain alcohol for the giggles), it's likely that I'll be storing my Alcohol Stove inside my cook pot so I don't want anything that would be bad for me contaminating it.

I use denatured most of the time. I store my stove and fuel bottle in my pot and I've never noticed any ill effects ill effects ill effects ill effects ill effects.... Promise!:D

skylark
03-27-2006, 22:38
HEET! Don't drink anything stronger than beer, it will rot your brain.

Daniel
03-28-2006, 00:33
Thanks for the reassurances. Sorry to be a worry-wart.

Cold Camp
03-28-2006, 10:39
Ten Days Summation:

1. Grain alcohol is sans harmful additives, but
2. Grain alcohol is expensive and not always available.
3. There are some very funny fellows at Whiteblaze.

As I see it, the real complication is in remembering whether you have HEET or Everclear in your fuel bottle should you want a little nip against the cold.

Cold Camp

Seeker
03-28-2006, 10:44

ever read the MSD sheet for gasoline?

Skidsteer
03-28-2006, 19:44
As I see it, the real complication is in remembering whether you have HEET or Everclear in your fuel bottle should you want a little nip against the cold.Cold Camp

Well yes, there is that danger. I would advise( and practice myself ) keeping "dedicated" fuel bottles. One for denatured and one for everclear. Be sure that you can easily read the labels or you may never read again.

Fun rule of thumb for Everclear users: If your stove drinks more in a day than you do, you need a more effecient stove. :D