PDA

View Full Version : I visited Meca recently...

OhioHiker
10-11-2020, 07:03
When going on car trips I always look for unique places to pull off and take a break and eat. I was traveling right past Harpers Ferry and had to stop. I am not a thru hiker and have never been to HF. It was a great town. I wish I could have stayed longer and explored the history. Also stopped at Harpers Ferry Outfitter. I have been looking to buy a Light Heart Gear rain coat for awhile and heard some outfitters along the AT carry them.No luck at this particular store.

It was very eerie being at the ATC without any evidence of hikers, it was very sad. I love the thru hiking community and was hoping to get a glimpse of it first hand.

JNI64
10-11-2020, 07:57
I was in downtown HF last Saturday, I took a lady friend (ie,first date) up to MD Heights. I knew it was going to be crowded but my goodness twice as many people as usual. Had to pay $20 for parking because she didn't want to walk from the free KOA parking across the street. My first walk across the newly rebuilt bridge. I didn't go in the outfitter but I ended up sitting for a moment across from the ATC and it was closed on a Saturday. And I remember thinking the same thing how sad , it's usually open with people flowing in and out. It's a pretty cool little town with lots of history. There was a series on the history Channel called the men who built America, they filmed some of them downtown shots with horse and wagon and old shops from downtown HF.. the time to go if you can is during the week, I'm not a fan of all them people or that first date .

One Half
10-11-2020, 16:39
I was in downtown HF last Saturday, I took a lady friend (ie,first date) up to MD Heights. I knew it was going to be crowded but my goodness twice as many people as usual. Had to pay $20 for parking because she didn't want to walk from the free KOA parking across the street. My first walk across the newly rebuilt bridge. I didn't go in the outfitter but I ended up sitting for a moment across from the ATC and it was closed on a Saturday. And I remember thinking the same thing how sad , it's usually open with people flowing in and out. It's a pretty cool little town with lots of history. There was a series on the history Channel called the men who built America, they filmed some of them downtown shots with horse and wagon and old shops from downtown HF.. the time to go if you can is during the week, I'm not a fan of all them people or that first date .

You may want to think about that before going on a second date

Astro
10-11-2020, 16:55
You may want to think about that before going on a second date
Or perhaps he should be looking for another prospect for another first date. :-?

One Half
10-11-2020, 17:10
Or perhaps he should be looking for another prospect for another first date. :-?

exactly
LOL

JNI64
10-11-2020, 18:34
Yeah that was not a good sign for sure pennypincher. But at that point it's kind of like being on a roller coaster and that bar slams shut and your stuck ,you might as well hold on tight and enjoy the ride. We did make it to the top after 20 breaks and old ladies and little babies passing us. And old ladies carrying babies passing us.. good thing it was only 1.5 miles anymore I'd been calling a ems.. Anyway I'm good " so light to be free""!! But the topic is it was sad and kinda eerie to see the ATC door shut and all the lights off.

TNhiker
10-11-2020, 22:01
i love the irony of someone named "pennypincher" is saying to buck up and pay the 20 bucks, instead of using the free
parking across the street......

(had a buddy in HF last saturday as well, who also paid the 20 to park...........but he was with his brother)

cliffordbarnabus
10-11-2020, 23:09
what's "meca"?

CalebJ
10-12-2020, 11:37
i love the irony of someone named "pennypincher" is saying to buck up and pay the 20 bucks, instead of using the free
Pretty sure pennypincher was all for the free parking option and questioning pursuing a relationship with someone who demanded the closer/paid option.

JNI64
10-12-2020, 12:00
Pretty sure pennypincher was all for the free parking option and questioning pursuing a relationship with someone who demanded the closer/paid option.

Yeah that's the way I took it. And will be heeding Astros and PennyPinchers advice.

D2maine
10-12-2020, 12:19
what's "meca"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MECA

:-?

JNI64
10-12-2020, 12:48
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MECA

:-?

Now I'm confused . Poster used a small a in meca. So a moth or place in Portugal?

One Half
10-12-2020, 12:57

(had a buddy in HF last saturday as well, who also paid the 20 to park...........but he was with his brother)

I think my message was misinterpreted. I would have parked in the free spot and I think someone who likes to hike would be having second thoughts about dating someone who isn't willing to park across the street and save the $20.

illabelle
10-12-2020, 14:36
Now I'm confused . Poster used a small a in meca. So a moth or place in Portugal?
Pretty sure they meant Mecca, which is the spiritual center of the Muslim world, as Harpers Ferry ATC office is the administrative center of the AT hiker world.

Five Tango
10-12-2020, 14:50
I have never been to Mecca or Harpers Ferry,but I did purchase a Light Hart Gear rain jacket online.Lots of nice zips and much more durable than my Frogg Toggs jacket.It does vent with the zips but definitely not breathable and I was not expecting it to be.
(Glad I didn't have to pay that $20 parking fee,might be a DEALBREAKER)

JNI64
10-12-2020, 14:59
Pretty sure they meant Mecca, which is the spiritual center of the Muslim world, as Harpers Ferry ATC office is the administrative center of the AT hiker world.

Thats right Duh.... thank you I knew I heard that word before phrased that way. Add a c and you see what you get , a whole new word.

TNhiker
10-12-2020, 17:19
I think my message was misinterpreted. I would have parked in the free spot and I think someone who likes to hike would be having second thoughts about dating someone who isn't willing to park across the street and save the $20.

ahhhhhh.......

i read it as-----for the second date OP should pay the 20 so that the relationship could advance further.......

anyways, carry on......