PDA

View Full Version : repairing silnylon

Mountain Dog
03-20-2006, 22:30
I have a small hole in the fly of my henessey hamock:mad: . Backpacker gives one method of repair, but it seems iffy to me. HH said to silicone some silnylon to the fly where the hole is located. However, I do not have any silnylon and I would hate to spend a lot for a small 6 in square piece. Have you repaired any silnylon and if so, how and to what success.:confused:

fiddlehead
03-21-2006, 00:21
I would sew a piece on to it like a patch. If you don't have sil nylon, just use rip stop nylon. (don't forget to seam seal afterwards if it is a fly that you want to stay waterproof. if it's a really small hole, you could put some silicon caulking (from the hardware store) over it. Not much else sticks to the stuff. good luck.

hikerjohnd
03-21-2006, 09:44
If you need a cheap patch, cut up a silnylon stuff sack (probably cheaper than buying a yard of fabric) and use that. I agree with sewing it in place - just remember to seam seal the stiches. Sewing will hold up longer than just glue.

OR - if you have a supplier for silnylon (fabric store like JoAnn's Fabrics) you can usually get a swatch (6 in square) for free - ask and tell them what you're doing - the ladies here have been very helpful when I have been working on repair projects...

Weldman
03-22-2006, 12:46
A good source for cheap Ripstop nylon- water repellant/DWR

Walmart's - $1 a yd shelf. 36" and 64" wide material.