PDA

View Full Version : Springer to ? in 5 days

skymom
03-20-2006, 22:43
I am planning on a 5 day section hike starting at Springer. I'm in reasonably good shape. What would be a realistic distance in that short time period?
I was thinking 50 mi. @ Unicoi Gap 17/75.

Skidsteer
03-20-2006, 22:50
I am planning on a 5 day section hike starting at Springer. I'm in reasonably good shape. What would be a realistic distance in that short time period?
I was thinking 50 mi. @ Unicoi Gap 17/75.

Have you ever walked with a pack on? If so, I would think you'd have little problem with your goal since you're in reasonably good shape. It's about 10 miles per day and the last 20 miles or so are some of the easiest in GA. Enjoy your hike!:)

RITBlake
03-20-2006, 22:52
10 miles a day is easy walkin. Even if you haven't got much hiking experience under your belt its still within reach. But I wouldn't go much higher then 15 in a day. That seems to be the magic number for fatiuge.

skymom
03-20-2006, 23:02
Yes, I've done tons of day hikes, overnight hikes, weekend trips with my husband/hiking partner. Planning on going at it solo and having my hubby pick me up at the end.

Skidsteer
03-20-2006, 23:09
Yes, I've done tons of day hikes, overnight hikes, weekend trips with my husband/hiking partner. Planning on going at it solo and having my hubby pick me up at the end.

Sounds like you're good to go to me. You could probably even afford to take some clean-up time at Hikerhostel or Mountain crossings. The last 13-14 mile leg of your section( from Hogpen to Unicoi )is an easy one day cruise. Have fun!

Whistler
03-20-2006, 23:37
If you've got 5 days... I'd walk the 65-68 miles to Dick's Creek Gap [Hwy 76 -> Hiawasee] in 4 days. The next day, walk the 8 miles out to the GA/NC state line and 8 miles back to Dick's Creek Gap--maybe as a lightened dayhike. Then you could cross the whole state off your list.

-Mark

skymom
03-21-2006, 07:09
Thanks for the input. If I can squeeze in an extra day, I may try and knock GA off my list.

Squeaky 2
03-21-2006, 07:18
windind stair gap is not out of the question. if you are in good shape then 20 mile days would be cake. i think its 106 miles. defenately aim for georgia in five days.

ARambler
03-21-2006, 10:49
Sorry Squeeky, "reasonably good shape" in the real word is not "good shape" in your world. I have only made it to Winding Stair Gap in 6 days, 50 % of the time (1 out of two). Weather and day light were the factors for both making it in 6 and taking 8 days. So, 6 days is reasonable with a mid April (or later) start if you are comfortable committing to long days. (This includes full days both leaving Springer and getting off at Winding Stair Gap.)

I don't like the idea of a round trip to Bly Gap because you leave another problem for how to get back to Bly Gap. I recommend starting at the approach trail and hiking to Dicks Gap in 5 days. You could still bail at Unicol if you run into problems.
Rambler

mrmike48/4000
03-21-2006, 10:59
i d shoot for dicks creek gap like whistler said.. sounds like your not 100% sure of your backpacking ability so keep it safe.. no need to push too hard unless when you get on the trail and things are going really smooth...the one big factor would be the weather, weather changes pace and plans dramatically...good luck on the hike.. i did the same stretch in feb 05....mrmike aka Nitewalker