PDA

View Full Version : Crushing Your Enemies!

KirkMcquest
03-21-2006, 01:55
Some take the easy does it , let everything be Zen type of attitude towards physical preparation before a big hike, and that's just fine. This post is about Mcquest's 'blood and guts' training advice, inspired by the Austrian Oak himself.

1) Attitude. Training is nothing without the right attitude. I go to the gym everyday with a steely gaze and the desire to 'eat my own gut's, and ask for seconds'. Push harder.
2) Visualization. See yourself bounding over mountains as you bang out those reps. I sometimes imagine myself hiking the whole trail without stopping while I'm on the treadmill. I'm no longer just a man , I'm a hiking machine with a human exo-skeleton.
3) Now we get to the mechanics;

a) The most important exercise for hikers is the squat. I start out doing two sets of 10 to 12 reps. In the weeks and months to come I start adding weight, reps and sets until I top out at about 5 sets 10 to 12, but with much heavier weight by now.
b) Lunges. Same system as squats, working up to 5 sets.
C) leg curls. These are necessary for preventing muscular imbalances from squatting and lunging. Same set principle.5.
D) Deadlifts. The best back and overall strength builder you could do for your self. You could handle alot of weight, but don't over do it as there is a potential to throw your back out real bad. Same set principle.
E) Running up hill. Treadmill is o.k. I do two minutes jogging flat,one minute running mid. pace flat, then one minute all out up hill. Repeat as often as endurance permits.
F) Running out doors. There's something special about getting out and running on all different types of terrain in all weather. I build up to six mile runs.
* So putting it all together, all leg lifts are done three times a week on the same day. Deadlifts are done separate, you might want add some other upper body lifts on that day. Cardio is three times a week (obviously on alternate lifting days) alternating activities. One day off.

4) This is a tuff regimen, but always works for me when I use it. A huge part of the training is mental, so when you hit the trail you'll be bigger, stronger, faster, and MUCH more disciplined.

While some folk will be aligning their chakeras and just trying to be. I'll Be tearing up the trail and crushing all who stand in the way of the MIGHTY MCQUEST.
And now, I've generously shared my secrets with you.;)

Gray Blazer
03-21-2006, 09:44
You da man! How about Longshanks? Does he train the same way?

kyhipo
03-21-2006, 09:52
I compliment the strenious work out ethics,but consider that long distant hiking is also a mental battle as well,have you ever hiked over a month on a trail?:D ky

Sly
03-21-2006, 10:00
Reminds me of the old Bull young Bull joke.

Skidsteer
03-21-2006, 10:08
As a small cautionary note, the latest workout I've seen for Arnold( prep for T3 ) had some glaring omissions if I recall correctly-squats, bench press, and deadlifts.

Apparently the "old bull's" joints aren't what they used to be.

sparky2000
03-21-2006, 10:16
With a refer and a channel changer I accomplish the same exercise 24/7.

Jaybird
03-21-2006, 10:24
Some take the easy does it , let everything be Zen type of attitude towards physical preparation before a big hike, and that's just fine. This post is about Mcquest's 'blood and guts' training advice, inspired by the Austrian Oak himself........................................... ....blah,blah,blah,............................... ............................yada,yada,yada,....... ..............................................
[[/B]

i've seen many a "20-something" (even former Military guys) who, by their looks, had much training...but, had to spend much time in shelters because they didnt train on mountains, their knees had given out, the feet were like hamburger....etc,etc,etc.

the other part...the most important...you gots to have the MENTAL thing going! :D

good luck, studly!

Gray Blazer
03-21-2006, 10:35
With a refer and a channel changer I accomplish the same exercise 24/7.

Too funny. I thougt they were called roofers. ;)

mrmike48/4000
03-21-2006, 10:46
if you really want to kick up the training go from bud 12oz to the quart size bottles. the bottles are much heavier....gym training is so different than actual thruhiking.. do you use your water filter at the gym, your stove , do you walk 15 mi a day at the gym w/ a 25lb pack, do you sleep at the gym or do you get rained on at the gym.. how about your feet do you train those at the gym[blisters].. and dont forget the mind. a strong and witty mind goes along way out on the trail its kind of like school smarts versus street smarts.......well thats all for now........mrmike aka Nitewalker

mrmike48/4000
03-21-2006, 10:48
i forgot to mention that of course training at the gym will help...

KirkMcquest
03-21-2006, 11:09
You da man! How about Longshanks? Does he train the same way?

'Shanks just puts on a backpack and walks around the city, he also does calisthetic type exersize at home.

KirkMcquest
03-21-2006, 11:12
I compliment the strenious work out ethics,but consider that long distant hiking is also a mental battle as well,have you ever hiked over a month on a trail?:D ky

Yes, a few years ago I hiked the Arizona trail. This was done after my 'blood and guts' training rourine (about 8 weeks into training).

kyhipo
03-21-2006, 11:16
just love your term blood and guts,have fun and enjoy your hike kirk.ky

Almost There
03-21-2006, 11:52
Do you switch muscle groups each day or are you tackling and killing the same muscles every day? Will you get stronger sure...but if you are doing the same thing every day you aren't getting the full benefit of your workout. Just curious as you didn't state or specify, plan looks solid though, but I would do lifts one day and cardio the next. I would also add a situp regimen for the purpose of my core strength.

KirkMcquest
03-21-2006, 12:20
Do you switch muscle groups each day or are you tackling and killing the same muscles every day? Will you get stronger sure...but if you are doing the same thing every day you aren't getting the full benefit of your workout. Just curious as you didn't state or specify, plan looks solid though, but I would do lifts one day and cardio the next. I would also add a situp regimen for the purpose of my core strength.

Check out the wording marked with a *. I do all leg group exersizes three times a week on the same day. Alternate deadlifts/ upper with cardio plan. So I'm working out 6 days a week three are leg training, and I rotate deadlift/upper with cardio for the other three days.

I figure that I have two cardio routines, the gym one that I outlined, and my outdoor runs. And yes some ab training is key, thats an oversight on my part.

mambo_tango
03-21-2006, 12:55
This post is about Mcquest's 'blood and guts' training advice
1) Attitude. Training is nothing without the right attitude. I go to the gym everyday with a steely gaze and the desire to 'eat my own gut's, and ask for seconds'. Push harder.

While some folk will be aligning their chakeras and just trying to be. I'll Be tearing up the trail and crushing all who stand in the way of the MIGHTY MCQUEST.

Well, it was nice knowing you Kirk for I am sure if you move that fast I won't keep up. I'll try not to stand in the way of the "mighty mcquest''. ------>:banana I hope 'eating your own guts' won't give you indigestion.

Gray Blazer
03-21-2006, 13:04
AT my fitness club here in G'ville (GO GATORS-SWEET 16) they tell you to work out 3 times a week (different muscle groups, etc.) and work to failure 8-20 reps in 60 seconds. I think they do that to try to get as many people in and out as fast as possible. I know...research shows blah, blah, blah...... but the best workout I ever got was loading watermelons when I was in my 20's. We'd work everyday 12-16 hours, 7 days a week, sometimes for a month or more of grueling workouts, walking through the fields, breathing deisel exhaust (yes, that's what messed my mind up) in the blazing sun.
Just think, that's better than a spa with a tanning booth and you get paid not to mention the free watermelons. We even got free showers a lot of afternoons. Do you know, we couldn't walk through the fields if they were wet because we would be spreading anthrax? My point is, we didn't rest muscle groups for even 1hr and we still got the bennies of being buff and tan. Talk about some big arms. Try throwing and catching 40 pound watermelons allday. (Of course ,I'm nowhere near that, now,especially being sidelined with recent knee surgery).

K-Man
03-21-2006, 13:05
I don't think that workout regime will help you beat us in the pool tournament....

Teatime
03-21-2006, 13:07
Only Yuppie posers use treadmills to train on. Real men train outdoors in the rain, snow, wind and hail (well, maybe not hail). Hey, like Squeeky says, it's just walking. What's the big deal? You put one foot in front of the other. Seriously, I also find that being somewhat in good shape makes my hike more enjoyable and easier. I do not, however, feel the need to eat my own guts. I leave that for Yuppie posers who train on treadmills.:D

mambo_tango
03-21-2006, 13:10
I don't think that workout regime will help you beat us in the pool tournament....

Yeah................

KirkMcquest
03-21-2006, 13:23

The tremendous muscular strength that I will gain on my routine, will provide me with a sledgehammer opening break, and greater stability in all my shots, not to mention you will probably be intimidated:D

KirkMcquest
03-21-2006, 13:25
Well, it was nice knowing you Kirk for I am sure if you move that fast I won't keep up. I'll try not to stand in the way of the "mighty mcquest''. ------>:banana I hope 'eating your own guts' won't give you indigestion.

LOL. Don't worry, baby. You can ride on my shoulders:D

weary
03-21-2006, 15:01
Only Yuppie posers use treadmills to train on. Real men train outdoors in the rain, snow, wind and hail (well, maybe not hail). Hey, like Squeeky says, it's just walking. What's the big deal? You put one foot in front of the other. Seriously, I also find that being somewhat in good shape makes my hike more enjoyable and easier. I do not, however, feel the need to eat my own guts. I leave that for Yuppie posers who train on treadmills.:D
On the theory that no training duplicates trail conditions, I keep in reasonable shape by walking up hill and down, 4 or 5 miles on a rough woodland trail 4 or 5 times a week, augmented by carrying in planks for bog bridges, cutting brush, whacking off dead branches with my wooden hiking stick. etc.

Of course it helps that my town has a land trust preserve 2 miles from my house, though I had to design the brochures, write the fund-raising letters, and make some of the phone calls to raise the $200,000 the preserve cost.

Occasionally I walk the four highway miles to and from the preserve. One never knows what life brings. Maybe someday I'll find such yellow blaze training useful!

It is a nice feeling to have helped save several wild places for my kids, grandkids and future generations.

Should anyone wish to share in that feeling the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust is getting underway with its new project -- the high peaks region of the western Maine mountains.

Weary www.matlt.org

neo
03-21-2006, 15:11
LOL. Don't worry, baby. You can ride on my shoulders:D

:D i think kirk and tango should get hitched:cool: neo

Gray Blazer
03-21-2006, 15:20

You've been watching Fiddler Up A Roof too many times:rolleyes:

lobster
03-21-2006, 18:40
Mr. McQuest,

Do you conduct seminars on your fitness regimen??

KirkMcquest
03-21-2006, 18:48
Mr. McQuest,

Do you conduct seminars on your fitness regimen??

No sir. I have revealed my routine only in this thread, for the benefit of WB, and to a very few close friends who I've sworn to secrecy.

lobshot
03-21-2006, 19:15
I wonder what blood and guts routine Grandma Gatewood used?

mambo_tango
03-21-2006, 20:38

Kirk's exercise regimen is child's play compared to what he would have to do to get my hand in marriage. :D

woodsy
03-21-2006, 21:03
McQuest, it's me again, woodsy.... Have you heard that the Marines are looking for a few good men? With your macho personality(even if you are afraid of everyone and everything) you might be trained to be brave enough to do the trail at a later date?

KirkMcquest
03-21-2006, 21:16
Kirk's exercise regimen is child's play compared to what he would have to do to get my hand in marriage. :D

Have no fear, the marriage will go on, as planned. ;)

KirkMcquest
03-21-2006, 21:19
McQuest, it's me again, woodsy.... Have you heard that the Marines are looking for a few good men? With your macho personality(even if you are afraid of everyone and everything) you might be trained to be brave enough to do the trail at a later date?

A preposterous presumption!:jump :banana

mambo_tango
03-21-2006, 22:11
Have no fear, the marriage will go on, as planned. ;)

What plan would that be? I wasn't aware of a 'plan'.:-?

woodsy
03-21-2006, 22:25
Mambo, If I were a woman, I'd be looking for a man who wasn't afraid of his own shadow (KirkMcquest). You would do well to consider others of brave reputation, not cowardice.

mambo_tango
03-21-2006, 22:31
Mambo, If I were a woman, I'd be looking for a man who wasn't afraid of his own shadow (KirkMcquest). You would do well to consider others of brave reputation, not cowardice.

Who are these men of brave reputation for I have yet to meet very many.:-?

woodsy
03-21-2006, 22:40
Mambo, if you start by ditching McQuest(I think you already have) the light will shine through and you will find many. McQuest is in the minority of cowards and fear mongers.

kyhipo
03-21-2006, 22:44
Who are these men of brave reputation for I have yet to meet very many.:-?perfect love is without fear!like your comment,ky

KirkMcquest
03-21-2006, 23:16

Men perhaps like yourself? Woodsy?

KirkMcquest
03-21-2006, 23:23
Mambo, if you start by ditching McQuest(I think you already have) the light will shine through and you will find many. McQuest is in the minority of cowards and fear mongers.

From your weird obsession with contradicting everything I post, I think its you who are scared of me. From your comments, I think you might be suffering from a condition called 'attitude-itis', which is completely curable 99% of the time by a good, swift kick in the pants.:eek:

mambo_tango
03-21-2006, 23:26
Men perhaps like yourself? Woodsy?

Jealous? Afraid I might be stolen away?

KirkMcquest
03-21-2006, 23:32
Jealous? Afraid I might be stolen away?

Never, baby. They don't understand us:p

woodsy
03-22-2006, 00:15
Mambo Tango, Your mine now, I'll show you what a frontiersman is all about, and we don't need pepper spray and guns to protect our girls from the wild...wild...east.

woodsy

mambo_tango
03-22-2006, 00:21
Mambo Tango, Your mine now, I'll show you what a frontiersman is all about, and we don't need pepper spray and guns to protect our girls from the wild...wild...east.

woodsy

;)

LOL. I have been rendered speechless for once....

KirkMcquest
03-22-2006, 00:25

woodsy

Give it up, dude. She's mine!!!!:mad:

ed bell
03-22-2006, 00:33
I'll show you what a frontiersman is all about
If I remember correctly, Kirk and Longshanks graduated from Lumberjack School in the same class. Kirk himself identified my Ma as headmaster, so he's got to be legit. Glad to see him aspiring to the toughness my momma taught him.:D

woodsy
03-22-2006, 00:36
Forget about her McQuest, she is looking for a real man, not you ..sorry.
A frontiersman like myself is what she's after. Having spent countless years in the outback , fighting off Bears and Wolves barehanded , that's what a woman wants...not some geek from the city .

Woodsy

KirkMcquest
03-22-2006, 00:36
If I remember correctly, Kirk and Longshanks graduated from Lumberjack School in the same class. Kirk himself identified my Ma as headmaster, so he's got to be legit. Glad to see him aspiring to the toughness my momma taught him.:D

That's right, you've got a pretty good memory. Your Mom was tough, but fair:D lol

KirkMcquest
03-22-2006, 00:39
Forget about her McQuest, she is looking for a real man, not you ..sorry.
A frontiersman like myself is what she's after. Having spent countless years in the outback , fighting off Bears and Wolves barehanded , that's what a woman wants...not some geek from the city .

Woodsy

Geek?!!! Why you....!! That's it let's let the lady decide. Who's it gonna be Mambo? MCQUEST, or 'woodsey'?

mambo_tango
03-22-2006, 00:43
Gee.....I don't know...how old are you woodsy? You're not married or anything right?

KirkMcquest
03-22-2006, 00:45
He's on his last leg, for christ' sake.

woodsy
03-22-2006, 00:59
Last leg? Not even close. I can outwalk McQuest on his best day and old? not even close. We should have a standoff MCQUEST, may the best man win for this young, bodacious hiker girl. She'll be mine for sure.

KirkMcquest
03-22-2006, 01:03
Last leg? Not even close. I can outwalk McQuest on his best day and old? not even close. We should have a standoff MCQUEST, may the best man win for this young, bodacious hiker girl. She'll be mine for sure.

What kind of 'standoff'? Swords, pistols,fists? And guys in your age bracket shouldn't use the word, bodacious.

greentick
03-22-2006, 01:08
What kind of 'standoff'? Swords, pistols,fists? And guys in your age bracket shouldn't use the word, bodacious.

Not taking sides here but bodacious is pretty prissy and west coast for someone considering a thru. Mrs Greentick lived in AK for several years and as beautiful as she is if I called her bodacious she would probably kick my ***!:eek:

KirkMcquest
03-22-2006, 01:12
I doubt he'll make it, if he keeps using those types of words.

woodsy
03-22-2006, 01:14
And what age bracket would that be McQuest?

KirkMcquest
03-22-2006, 01:17
And what age bracket would that be McQuest?

AAH, hAHA! Your a wily one.:D

woodsy
03-22-2006, 01:23
By the way, Bodacious means lovely in this part of the world.

mambo_tango
03-22-2006, 01:25
I pick............................Lobster!

KirkMcquest
03-22-2006, 01:30
I pick............................Lobster!

I'm devastated beyond repair. Serves me right for giving my heart to a woman. Well I'm signing off too weep for a while, then watch alittle t.v. Night all.

Heater
03-22-2006, 08:03
Some take the easy does it , let everything be Zen type of attitude towards physical preparation before a big hike, and that's just fine. This post is about Mcquest's 'blood and guts' training advice, inspired by the Austrian Oak himself.

2) Visualization. See yourself bounding over mountains as you bang out those reps. I sometimes imagine myself hiking the whole trail without stopping while I'm on the treadmill. I'm no longer just a man , I'm a hiking machine with a human exo-skeleton.
3) Now we get to the mechanics;

a) The most important exercise for hikers is the squat. I start out doing two sets of 10 to 12 reps. In the weeks and months to come I start adding weight, reps and sets until I top out at about 5 sets 10 to 12, but with much heavier weight by now.
b) Lunges. Same system as squats, working up to 5 sets.
C) leg curls. These are necessary for preventing muscular imbalances from squatting and lunging. Same set principle.5.
D) Deadlifts. The best back and overall strength builder you could do for your self. You could handle alot of weight, but don't over do it as there is a potential to throw your back out real bad. Same set principle.
E) Running up hill. Treadmill is o.k. I do two minutes jogging flat,one minute running mid. pace flat, then one minute all out up hill. Repeat as often as endurance permits.
F) Running out doors. There's something special about getting out and running on all different types of terrain in all weather. I build up to six mile runs.
* So putting it all together, all leg lifts are done three times a week on the same day. Deadlifts are done separate, you might want add some other upper body lifts on that day. Cardio is three times a week (obviously on alternate lifting days) alternating activities. One day off.

4) This is a tuff regimen, but always works for me when I use it. A huge part of the training is mental, so when you hit the trail you'll be bigger, stronger, faster, and MUCH more disciplined.

I will just be in reeasonable shape and walk up and down some hills for a few weeks prior to my hike. All that BS "training" would be a BIG waste of time in my opinion. It is just plain silly. YMMV.

...of course you knew that already. Right?

Heater
03-22-2006, 08:08
Maybe someday I'll find such yellow blaze training useful!

Hahaha! Dat's funni. :D :D :D

woodsy
03-22-2006, 10:07
From your weird obsession with contradicting everything I post, I think its you who are scared of me. From your comments, I think you might be suffering from a condition called 'attitude-itis', which is completely curable 99% of the time by a good, swift kick in t
he pants.:eek:

Kirk,
You are right about my attitude-itis.
I promise to work on it, sorry.
I take back everything negative I said bout ya.
We be buds now, especially since Mambo took Lobster over us, it must be the supplemental oxygen she's after.

Woodsy

HUGOPUSS
03-22-2006, 11:25
WOW--- I don't believe I've ever seen a 40lb watermelon!!!!!!!!!!

longshank
03-22-2006, 12:06
'Shanks just puts on a backpack and walks around the city, he also does calisthetic type exersize at home.
That, coupled with 2 hrs a of every day lugging cases of wine up and down stairs, then another 8 hrs of just running up and down the stairs is all I really tend to need.

hobbit
03-22-2006, 12:21
Life is like climbing a mountain theres the top of the hill and theres the bottom i don't get why everyone always runs for the summit

longshank
03-22-2006, 12:26
No, you're right. For that we recommend a combination diet of buffalo wings and fine ales(for the blood). There's no way not to win. Throw an extra burger in there if you're feeling sluggish.

lobster
03-22-2006, 12:29
Mambo Tango,

I knew you liked a man with a tough shell!

mambo_tango
03-22-2006, 12:34
It was you I was after all along.

longshank
03-22-2006, 12:35
That old battle axe! Ahhhhhh.....Those were the days, those were the days...I can see it now...cranky ol Ma' Bell could eat her weight in bacon, folks used to say....

lobster
03-22-2006, 12:37
There's much more to savor in the hard shell lobster rather than the soft shell types like the valiant duo of Woodsy and Mr. McQuest!

longshank
03-22-2006, 12:39
That's right, you've got a pretty good memory. Your Mom was tough, but fair:D lol
A stern disciplinarian...

KirkMcquest
03-22-2006, 13:13
There's much more to savor in the hard shell lobster rather than the soft shell types like the valiant duo of Woodsy and Mr. McQuest!

Hats off to you Lobster, whatever the lady wants is fine by me, you have my blessing. Frankly, things were getting a little complicated anyway.:D

mambo_tango
03-22-2006, 13:41
Hats off to you Lobster, whatever the lady wants is fine by me, you have my blessing. Frankly, things were getting a little complicated anyway.:D

The fact that we will meet face to face next year kind of swayed my decision :p .

Doppleganger
03-22-2006, 13:45
Leave it to a woman to order the lobster!

mambo_tango
03-22-2006, 13:47
What can I say? I have expensive tastes.

Doppleganger
03-22-2006, 13:58

Very gracious in defeat Kirk, not at all what I expected. Don't worry you'll find another pretend WB girlfriend before you know it!;)

Doppleganger
03-22-2006, 14:00
By the way, I noticed a lack of stretching in yer exersize program. Moy importante

mambo_tango
03-22-2006, 14:01
Very gracious in defeat Kirk, not at all what I expected. Don't worry you'll find another pretend WB girlfriend before you know it!;)

:-? Some how I highly doubt it. Any volunteers out there?