PDA

View Full Version : Virga2, Squall2 or Rainbow: Opinions wanted?

joel137
03-21-2006, 02:04
The title says it all, I'm trying to decide my next tent purchase and feel like I should decide in the next week or so in order to get the item in time for hiking.

hikerjohnd
03-21-2006, 09:36
I owned the Virga 1 and found it to bee a bit too small in the event I was tentbound for a day. I could barely sit up comfortably. I see the Virga 2 is a bit bigger - but I would have bought a Squall if Henry had not been backordered at the time. The extra room in a larger tent means me and my stuff can always be inside and out of the rain. No matter what you choose - you will be getting a good tent form an excellent supplier - customer service from Henry is second to none!

Cold Camp
03-21-2006, 16:02
It's still three weeks before we take our new Squall to Virginia, so I can't give a field report, but I've got to say it looks great set up in our living room. It is really a little roomier than you would expect. We're getting two fair sized people and two 18lb packs in ours.

Cold Camp

JoeHiker
03-21-2006, 16:28
For one person - Definitely the Squall. Not that much heavier than the Virga but the extra room is key.

For two people -- not sure. Depends on your priorities

bbanker
03-21-2006, 18:19
I got the Squall 2 with a sewn in floor. Love it. Great for solo or two people (and I'm 6'1 250+ lbs). Much more roomy than I thought it would be. Having had it for a while, I'm not sure if I would go with the sewn in floor if I ordered another. Maybe just the Tyvek ground sheet. Overall I would buy this tarp/tent over and over again. Super light considering it's stability and space., even with the sewn in floor. A huge step from my previous 6.5 lb tent. It even did great in 18 degree weather with very little condensation or ice in the AM. I also use my trekking poles, and didn't get the single pole that comes with it. I may end up getting a rainshadow 2 for both wife and dog trips. Very happy with my purchase and would highly reccomend it!

joel137
03-21-2006, 18:52
My purposes are for one person, me. Current tent is around 3lb, but I'm trying to get down another lb or so in the tent area.

I've decided to get it with the sewn in floor. Just can't decide if I want

max weight savings (VirgaII) or

max interior space with significant savings (Squall2) and least chance of interior condensation causing problems

or a light weight self-standing tent (rainbow)

Decisions, decisions.:-?

bbanker
03-21-2006, 20:24
Is it mostly for solo?
My Squall is REALLY roomy, even for a standard 2 person. All total like 35-36 oz. with sewn in floor. Still hovering around 2 lbs. If it's just for you i'd go with the Vigra. Similar construction to the Squall. Never actually seen the rainbow (except the pics). The self standing component would be nice. As a big guy I tend to take room over weight. But that's me.

Cuffs
03-22-2006, 00:31
I just got my Squall 2, so I havent really formed an opinion on it yet... I did find this info helpful in making my decision...

http://www.backpacking.net/geartent-chart.html

joel137
03-22-2006, 00:35
Yea, its for solo. Also, mostly for hiking on the AT, and I do tend to stay in shelters more often then not. So in a sense its mostly for back-up. Though I'm thinking of trying to do a bit more tenting then on trips past (though maybe not a lot more).

Can anyone address interior condensation issues? I've only had experience with double wall tents in the past and have never had a condensation problem with them. But some reports regarding the single wall syl-nyl tents have me a tad worried, hence the thought that the squal might be preferable for the extra space away from the walls. However, I am trying to cut weight (I'm not trying to be ultra-light, but I'm trying to get to the lighter end of light-weight.)

I only recently noticed the rainbow, and I have had the experience of pitching a non-self standing tent on a platform in New England; doable but not fun. The thought of a self-standing tent has its attractions. However, it is currently out-of-stock.

FWIW, I'm 5'91/2" in height, so I'm not big, but not tiny either. I've experienced 36" height tents before and do not like them.

Also, FWIW, recent tents have been, in reverse chronological order

(Current) REI roadster (like it, but trying to get lighter) 3lb 8oz with matching ground cloth.

Walrus micro-swift
Walrus swift
heavier name brand 2-man tents, previously

william05141967
03-22-2006, 06:46
If you are small and like cozy, go Virga. If you want room go with the Squall. They are all good choices though.

jigsaw
03-22-2006, 06:55
i have the cloudburst and love it. plenty of room for the wife and me and its huge for one person with all my gear.i have the sewn in floor wt. is 39 oz.

Marta
03-22-2006, 08:21
I definitely prefer the sewn-in floor, myself. I got a Cloudburst with floor for going out with my husband and a Virga I w/o floor for solo outings. I recently had the Virga retrofitted with the floor. The two big issues with the floorless model for me were the problems with small stuff slipping out of the tent and getting lost in the leaf litter and critters sneaking into the tent. Bugs occasionally snuck in, but the deal-breaker was when I felt something hard in the foot pocket of my camping quilt a week after an expedition. I held it up and shook it out...and a dessicated salamader fell out.

A friend who hiked the PCT last year with a floorless Virga said she had four mice and some scary-looking bugs join her in the Virga, whereas her friends who had sewn-in floors never had that problem.

I used to feel confined in the Virga, compared to the palatial Cloudburst. Then I spent a few months hammocking. Now the Virga, when I use it, seems enormous.

joel137
03-22-2006, 12:12
Marta,

my plan is to definitely go with the sewn-in floor regardless of the choice.

What has your experiences been with regard to interior condensation in the Virga I?

Since you are from Charlotte, I assume you have some experience with this in Appalachian type climates.

joel137
03-22-2006, 12:13
If you are small and like cozy, go Virga. If you want room go with the Squall. They are all good choices though.

Yea, that is what makes choosing difficult, if they weren't all good choices, the choosing would be easy.:)

Lilred
03-22-2006, 22:01
I have the old Squall, and love it. Plenty of room for me to move around, sit up, get dressed without touching the side walls or top. I have had condensation, but it rolls down the top and drips on the netting, going outside of the tent. Henry designs a great tent. Because of the room and the way the condensation drips, it has never been a problem for me. A swipe with a bandana first thing in the morning takes care of most of it anyway. You will get condensation. If it rains hard, you will probably get misting too. The room and weight and how the tent is designed is a great tradeoff to what little condensation I had to deal with. I was out in it for six weeks last summer and plan on using it again this summer.

Marta
03-22-2006, 22:35
Marta,

my plan is to definitely go with the sewn-in floor regardless of the choice.

What has your experiences been with regard to interior condensation in the Virga I?

Since you are from Charlotte, I assume you have some experience with this in Appalachian type climates.

I've only had one night of serious condensation in the HS tarptents--New Year's Eve "04/'05 in the meadow on Springer Mtn. I have talked about it with a few people and concluded that you're much better off camped under the cover of woods than out in a meadow in heavy dew conditions.

There is a bit of art to using a tarptent well. You can make the wind work for you or against you, depending on where and how you place it.

But I'll never go back to a conventional tent for anything but car camping.

Although I am fond of a good hammock these days. :D

joel137
03-23-2006, 00:37
New Year's Eve was probably rather cold (more condensation).

The main reason for considering the Squal is to ameliorate condensation problems (space is nice, but less of a concern for me.)

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Virga2 for the weight and as its more of a back-up to shelter usage, weight will probably be more of a concern.

And besides, if its a problem, . . .

Thanks for the comments.

Franco
03-23-2006, 08:05
Hi Joel,
Of course since I own one I am suggesting the Rainbow if room,ventilation and freestanding are important to you. The usable room inside the Rainbow is greater than in most other single tents, a lot closer to a double tent than say a Hubba or a Seedhouse. I have posted many pictures of the different features that make the Rainbow a pretty good choice for you.
Here are some
room at the end (std size Prolite 4 W)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/room-at-the-inn.jpg
compared to my Lighthouse
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/friends-1.jpg
headroom ( I'm 174cm tall)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/cooking-1.jpg
More headroom (another 10cm with this trick)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/with-brick.jpg
Wide enough? (wider again with the floor down)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/over-6.jpg

Franco

joel137
03-23-2006, 10:53
Franco,

Thanks for the reply.

The room was enough to prevent rubbing the clothes and bag against the wall and getting wet from interior condensation?

And/or interior condensation just hasn't been a problem for you?

When you bought, did you consider the Virga or Squall?

joel137
03-25-2006, 12:37
FWIW, I made my decision last night and ordered the Rainbow, Henry sent a note confirming that it may have more room then the Virga2, its self standing, and there mgiht be a tad less issue with interior condensation, so I went with it.

New tent in a few weeks:)

brz
03-25-2006, 13:19
My mobile hooch is a Virga. Its sort of a pain as I don't use a ground pad.

hikerjohnd
03-25-2006, 17:22
FWIW, I made my decision last night and ordered the Rainbow, Henry sent a note confirming that it may have more room then the Virga2, its self standing, and there mgiht be a tad less issue with interior condensation, so I went with it.

New tent in a few weeks:)

You still can't go wrong with any of Henry's products. Now - we will all be expecting a review! Happy hiking!

joel137
03-25-2006, 21:22
I'm hoping to do about 40 days on the AT from Daleville to Delaware Water Gap. Starting about May 20th.

Naturally I"ll report back. I"ll have three major new pieces of equipment, along with some minor ones that should reduce my base weight by about 3 pounds.

They are:

Jetboil replacing the internation whisperlight and represents a move to cannister cooking

ULA Catalyst which replaces a Kelty Shadow 4500, which I used last year to replace a 5 and half pound LL BEAN pack

The Rainbow tent (where I'm getting my best weight saving) replacing the REI Roadster (which is a nice tent)

I spect. some might like to hear how they worked (form a field test perspective), particularly the tent and pack.

I'm not ultra-light (obviously), but I'm trying to be "light weight".

I tried out in the store in Damascus the ULA P2, the precursor to the Catalyst, and it was obvious I was going to have bring my gear weight down to use it. Between the above choices and the redesign of the P2 as the Catalyst; I'm hoping it will work out well. We'll see and I'll report.

Thanks to all who gave/give advice and opinions!

Franco
03-27-2006, 07:21
Hi Joel
The more I use it the more I like it. I chose the Rainbow because I am used to the dome type tents and prefer to have a lot of space above my head.
Brushing against the walls is no problem and the same is for condensation, at worst I got a wet area towards the top , a quick wipe and some more ventilation ( opened up the beak a little bit) fixed that.
On a recent trip it rained most days, so I was glad to be able to set it up dry ( I keep the mesh door open and the beak closed when I stash it) in just a few minutes even on a platform, and the space inside was useful for washing , changing and playing cards. I am convinced that most still don't realise how big it really is inside. Also not having guy lines all over the place is a bonus.
I will provably get a Squall later on simply because I like the look of it.
Franco

roxy33x
03-27-2006, 09:51
So we are planning on getting the rainbow2 but I heard that it is good to have a free standing tent for thru hiking due to some areas that are difficult to steak it down. Has anyone that thru hiked had difficulty with a tent that is not free standing?

joel137
03-27-2006, 12:20
So we are planning on getting the rainbow2 but I heard that it is good to have a free standing tent for thru hiking due to some areas that are difficult to steak it down. Has anyone that thru hiked had difficulty with a tent that is not free standing?

Do you mean the Rainbow or the Rainshadow2?

I had very little problem with non-freestanding tent in all my section hikes on the AT. Very rarely will you not be able to peg down a non-freestanding tent.

If you have to set up on a tent platform, you need some extra guyline rope to take the place of tent pegs.

joel137
03-27-2006, 12:23
Hi Joel
The more I use it the more I like it. I chose the Rainbow because I am used to the dome type tents and prefer to have a lot of space above my head.
Brushing against the walls is no problem and the same is for condensation, at worst I got a wet area towards the top , a quick wipe and some more ventilation ( opened up the beak a little bit) fixed that.
On a recent trip it rained most days, so I was glad to be able to set it up dry ( I keep the mesh door open and the beak closed when I stash it) in just a few minutes even on a platform, and the space inside was useful for washing , changing and playing cards. I am convinced that most still don't realise how big it really is inside. Also not having guy lines all over the place is a bonus.
I will provably get a Squall later on simply because I like the look of it.
Franco

Nice, to hear the testemonial. I'm really looking forward to it; despite what I said above, IMO, a free standing tent, all other things being equal, is probably preferable. And it appears that H. Shire has finally given us one that rivals in weight the light weight peg-out tents!