PDA

View Full Version : How do you set up your Hammock?

2XL
03-21-2006, 09:22
Let's say the temp is around 45-50, slight breeze and dry.
How is your hammock set up?

What type of hammock?
Underquilt? (Down /synthetic?)
Pad? (type)
Overquilt? (if so what temp rating)
Clothing worn?

What about temps of 50-60?

txulrich
03-21-2006, 09:39

What type of hammock?
Pad? (type)
Clothing worn?

I have a HH Expedition Asym. I have a homemade underquilt similar to the JRB Old Rag. At either temp, I would not need a pad. I have a JRB Nest to use as an overquilt (It's prolly good to about 30* as a top quilt). I would wear a set of polypro or silk long underwear to buffer against the clammy hammock nylon. I would hang a leg out of the quilt to regulate my comfort as needed.

Previous to making the new underquilt, I used the Nest as an underquilt and required to add a pad and a JRB Weathershield much under 40*. With the new quilt, I can prolly get below 30* w/o a pad. At 30*, I would add the Weathershield and at 20*, I expect to need a pad. That's total speculation on my part as I have not had the chance to test it yet.

Seeker
03-21-2006, 11:25

What type of hammock?
Pad? (type)
Clothing worn?

-Hennessey Ultralite Backpacker Asym.
-JRB underquilt (down)
-No pad needed if temp is over 45*. Blue foam pad if lower than that. Actually, only need a small pad for my back down to 40*. Have had the full sized blue foam pad and the underquilt down to about 35*. below that, i don't see the point in being outside. (i hate the cold).
-Overquilt is an unzipped WM Caribou 35* bag... under 45, i get inside, just so i can roll around without a blast of cold air coming in.... if it's warmer than that, it works fine as a quilt.
-Clothing-duofold longjohn tops and bottoms, mostly to keep my arms warm. socks only if it's below 50* or so.

I also ALWAYS wear this ugly fleece hat i made... that keeps in a lot of body heat... .i don't take it off until it's over 60*. i'm a cold sleeper.

hope this helps.

Just Jeff
03-21-2006, 13:15
JRB underquilt and top quilt (down)
Wearing silkweight poly long johns, and maybe a hat and socks

If it's dry and only slightly breezy I'll leave off the tarp...I like to have open views. If bugs aren't a problem, I'm in my homemade Speer-type. Otherwise I'm in the HH.

The only time I've been using a pad is for camping in the Sierras when a quick storm may force me to the ground.

littlelaurel59
03-21-2006, 15:29
[quote=2XL]Let's say the temp is around 45-50, slight breeze and dry.

What type of hammock?----Byer Mosqito
Underquilt? (Down /synthetic?)----None
Pad? (type) ----Blue CCF pad from WalMart
Overquilt? (if so what temp rating)----Kelty Light Year #D (30*) vs. Jardine Polargard 3D backpacking quilt (40*)
Clothing worn?----Depends on whether I use the bag or the quilt.

hogn8r
03-21-2006, 23:50
What type of hammock, Home made Speer Type
Underquilt? (Down /synthetic?), None at these temps
Pad? (type), OD Green 1/4" Military surplus CCF Pad with 4 12" wings for shoulder and hip protection.
Overquilt, 30* synthetic with footbox.
Clothing worn, light or mid-weight poly/wool longjons, mostly fot moisture control on the CCF pad, Thorlon socks, fleece balaclava.

I am actually a pretty hot sleeper but I am always cold when I go to bed. At these temps the headcover usually comes off sometime in the night and I can regulate it the rest by the leg out method. I pretty much use all the same stuff from40* to 70*, but after 60* or so I usually end up on top of the quilt in the morning. I also pitch my tarp, sides up, mostly to keep the dew off.