PDA

View Full Version : any decent gear stores in Wash, DC?

1Pint
03-21-2006, 10:59
I don't have access to much in the way of inexpensive gear in Ohio, but I'm headed to DC for a long weekend. Any hope of finding stuff there at reasonable prices?

Spirit Walker
03-21-2006, 11:43
Not much in the way of good prices, but there are several good outfitters.

There are several REI's in the area, plus Hudson Trail Outfitters which has a really good selection. You'll need a car to access them though.

Tudor
03-21-2006, 12:47
If you are near Columbus, you can check out the Outdoor Source, http://www.outdoorsource.biz/ . I live in Indiana and they had the gear I needed all in one place, at normal retail values. Plus whenever you do your thru-hike, you get 20% off anything you might need while on the trail, plus free shipping to the next trail town you're gonna be in and they will help you with information regarding the trail as a few of them have already thru-hiked the AT.

Now, don't get excited if you want to be a hammock hanger, as none of them currently do, but the owner is looking into it, and waiting on word from me on what it's like! lol

1Pint
03-21-2006, 14:12
I had done a yahoo search for the DC area, and only came up with Hudson Outfitters, so before I posted and you and Philip Jones responded, I wasn't aware of the REIs. Gotta find my membership card and stick that in my luggage.

I had seen an old post regarding a thru-hiker planning meeting in Columbus (maybe for last year?) but didn't make the connection about shopping there. I'll check it out when I get back. Thanks.

1Pint
03-21-2006, 14:15
oops - thanks! (I'm new, and still don't know how to edit a post, please forgive.)

the goat
03-21-2006, 14:17
oops - thanks! (I'm new, and still don't know how to edit a post, please forgive.)

hey 1Pint, welcome to WB! if you become a donating member you'll have ability to edit your posts.

sdoownek
03-21-2006, 15:04
Be aware that the Hudson Trail staff, for the most part, is useless. They are just like any other outdoor retail store; a bunch of kids with a few gems thrown in. Try the Fairfax store for selection--703-591-2950. Don't expect a lightweight section though, the entire store is geared to weekenders.

1Pint
03-22-2006, 09:22
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info.

TN_Hiker
03-22-2006, 10:36
Curious.....is the Appalachian Outfitters still in Oakton / Reston area? I haven't lived up there in years, but it use to be a top notch outfitter.

OutbackHack
03-22-2006, 10:47
REI followed by HTO are probably your best bets in the DC area. A friend and I were just talking this morning about how the only two good privately owned outfitters that we knew of in the area had closed in the last few years. And Galyan's, another outdoor chain store, was bought last year and turned into your typical sporting goods store.

OutbackHack
03-22-2006, 10:52
Nope, Appalachian Outfitters in Oakton closed a couple years back. I drive by it everyday on the way to work, now it's just an abandoned building in the midst of typical DC area overdevelopment.

They're supposed to building a bank on the site soon, the only thing delaying it is that part of the Appalachian Outfitters building is a 100+ year old one room school house that they want to preserve somehow.

the goat
03-22-2006, 11:28
Nope, Appalachian Outfitters in Oakton closed a couple years back. I drive by it everyday on the way to work, now it's just an abandoned building in the midst of typical DC area overdevelopment.

They're supposed to building a bank on the site soon, the only thing delaying it is that part of the Appalachian Outfitters building is a 100+ year old one room school house that they want to preserve somehow.

appalachian outfitters is where i got my first set of gear for my first backpacking trip when i was 10 yrs old.... we did ten days in the grayson highlands and i've been hooked ever since.

Peaks
03-22-2006, 18:20
appalachian outfitters is where i got my first set of gear for my first backpacking trip when i was 10 yrs old.... we did ten days in the grayson highlands and i've been hooked ever since.

Appalachian Outfitters is where I met Ed Garvey for the second time. He was working there. It was a great store when we lived in the area.

Vi+
03-23-2006, 16:27
When Appalachian Outfitters closed, the owner advised another place would open in Front Royal, VA, which would try to imitate Appalachian Outfitters. I have forgotten the name she provided.

Front Royal, as many know, is a few miles to the left (for the northbound) on Route #522, the first highway the AT crosses a few miles after leaving the Shenandoah National Park.

If anyone learns the name, location, or any other information about such an outfitter please send me a Private Message or email.

QHShowoman
03-23-2006, 17:04
PSSST. REI in Bailey's Crossroads (and probably the other DC/VA/MD stores) is having their Attic Sale on Saturday from 10am - 8pm. Come early!

Also, I've never been there, but there is an outfitter's in the Clarendon section of Arlington called Casual Adventure, there is also an EMS store. Unlike REI, they are within walking distance of a metro station.

Sly
03-23-2006, 17:22
You could take the train from DC to Harpers Ferry and go to the Outfitters there. They're probably the best in seving the needs of long distance hikers.

They also have an Ebay store if you'd like to browse...

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Outfitter-at-Harpers-Ferry_W0QQsspagenameZL2QQtZkm

Tell Laura, Sly sent you. Which should be good for giggle, if not a discount.

Cookerhiker
03-23-2006, 17:51
Not much in the way of good prices, but there are several good outfitters.

There are several REI's in the area, plus Hudson Trail Outfitters which has a really good selection. You'll need a car to access them though.

Actually, the Hudson Trail Outfitters isn't too far from the Twinbrook Metro Stop on the Red Line - certainly not far for us hikers to walk! There's a new REI in Rockville but I don't how close it is to Metro.

Welcome to WB, 1 Pint.

sdoownek
03-23-2006, 23:00
If anyone learns the name, location, or any other information about such an outfitter please send me a Private Message or email.

Weasel Creek.
(540)622-6909

QHShowoman
03-24-2006, 09:45
Oh, and there is an HTO in the Springfield Mall, which is within walking distance from the blue line Franconia/Springfield stop.

BlackCloud
03-24-2006, 12:05
Don't forget the LL Bean @ Tyson's Corner Mall in VA........

Daniel
03-26-2006, 22:23
Sunny's Discount Outdoor Goods store:

Locations (http://www.sunnysonline.com/military-surplus-scouts-uniforms/store-locations.cfm)

Daniel
03-26-2006, 22:28
*edit:

1. Until the end of the month they are having 50% off most winter-weight clothing (which includes fleeces and layers). Or at least the Laurel location on Rt. 1 is.

2. It comes across as an army-navy surplus type store on the web site but that's only about 50% of their business so don't let that put you off- the prices are pretty decent (esp. with the current sale).

NICKTHEGREEK
03-27-2006, 07:06
HTO has a store in the Pentagon City Area It is very close to Metro but not actually in the Mall.

1Pint
03-27-2006, 14:30
Hi All. Thanks for all your info. Did check out Hudson Outfitters, but the prices were similar to what I can get locally, so instead of lugging the gear back from DC, I decided to keep holding out for the sales. I'm not doing the AT 'til next year, so I can be patient.

Northeast Ohio has two Appalachian Outfitters that I'm aware of. One's right next to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park north of Akron, south of Cleveland. The other is in North Canton or maybe that's Canton... I know how to get there, not sure about the boundary line. Anyway, they're both good stores with competent, knowledgeable staff and friendly owner. When I bought my pack they spent a decent amount of time adjusting my pack for me and offered to let me trade out hipbelts for a new one if the one didn't work after I'd tried it on the trail. Just wish my trail dollars could stretch a little more, so I was trying to catch a bargain or two in DC.