PDA

View Full Version : A.T. Planning Book Recommendations

Chavens
03-21-2006, 12:48
Do any of you past or future thru-hikers have any recommendations for thru-hiking guides? There are plenty on the market; I was just wondering which ones are worth buying.

I'm not looking for a "data book" or anything like that, but more like a book that desribes the whole planning process involved in a thru-hike (budgeting, logistics, etc.)

Thanks to all your suggestions!
<!-- / message -->

Ender
03-21-2006, 13:28
Honestly, I'd say that for the logistics end of the planning, there really aren't any great books out there. The internet is a much better source for that, and it's free (well, maybe). There are plenty of great books out there for getting into the spirit of a thru hike, and plenty that will give you great ideas on what to bring, etc... but for all that other stuff, the internet is a much more comprehensive source.

Of course, I could be wrong about that... maybe a good book is out there that I'm not aware of.

Old Spice
03-21-2006, 15:44
The A.T. Workbook for Planning Thru-Hikes has some useful info, but is pretty much outdated as far as the gear it recommends. To be honest, everything you really need to plan a thru can pretty much be found on whiteblaze and a few other sites. Check out "www.thru-hiker.com". It has some great gear reviews and articles on thru-hiking. Wingfoots website "www.trailplace.com" is useful as well, though some have issues with the way he administors the forums.

Peaks
03-21-2006, 18:15
Good question. Part of the answer depends on what your backpacking experience is. Prior to my thru-hike, I looked around, and bought a couple of books on the topic.

For logistics (where to resupply, etc.) I used mostly Wingfoot's Handbook and the AT Data book.

Other than that, I think that resouces like this website is probably much more useful than any book published. And, if you read Jack's advice about resupply, that's really about all you need to know.

Chavens
03-21-2006, 20:55
Has anyone read the A.T. Thru-Hike Planner: http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=80&compid=1

It sounds like a great tool for a pretty cheap price. Or maybe The Appalachian Trail Hiker by Frank and Victoria Logue? I read one of their books on backpacking, and found it very informative.

Ender
03-21-2006, 23:09
Has anyone read the A.T. Thru-Hike Planner: http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=80&compid=1

It sounds like a great tool for a pretty cheap price. Or maybe The Appalachian Trail Hiker by Frank and Victoria Logue? I read one of their books on backpacking, and found it very informative.

The AT Backpacker by Frank & Victoria Logue is a great book, though dated. I wouldn't call it a planning book though, so much as a book to get you into the spirit of the trail. I still take it out from time to time to get my mind back to the trail.

Peaks
03-22-2006, 08:44

I've got them both, or at least the earlier editions of both. As an experienced backpacker, I found them to be mildly helpful. Didn't have places like Whiteblaze then.

I think that the decision depends in part on what your background is. If you haven't done much backpacking, then both books will probably help you.